NBA Playoffs

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,975

Re: NBA Playoffs 

Post#81 » by Snakebites » Sun May 5, 2024 11:45 pm

I’ve watched more non Pistons games recently than I did in the regular season.

It’s clear I wasn’t hard enough on the Pistons this year (despite being pretty hard on them).

They are so far away from playing meaningful basketball and on most nights do nothing right. The way we play is so far from how the game is supposed to be played at this level that it’s absurd. The teams that lost to us this year should be ashamed.

Any aspiring executive would be crazy to take this job on.
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Post#82 » by jars » Mon May 6, 2024 12:45 am

Snakebites wrote:I’ve watched more non Pistons games recently than I did in the regular season.

It’s clear I wasn’t hard enough on the Pistons this year (despite being pretty hard on them).

They are so far away from playing meaningful basketball and on most nights do nothing right. The way we play is so far from how the game is supposed to be played at this level that it’s absurd. The teams that lost to us this year should be ashamed.

There are only 30 of these jobs in the world. We might not be able to get a top level GM right now, but at least we have caproom and most of our own future picks if nothing else. It's easier to work from a blank slate than having to completely clean up someone else's mess. I just wish Weaver had gotten something (anything) meaningful back in any of the trades he made.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#83 » by Snakebites » Mon May 6, 2024 1:02 am

jars wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I’ve watched more non Pistons games recently than I did in the regular season.

There are only 30 of these jobs in the world. We might not be able to get a top level GM right now, but at least we have caproom and most of our own future picks if nothing else. It's easier to work from a blank slate than having to completely clean up someone else's mess. I just wish Weaver had gotten something (anything) meaningful back in any of the trades he made.

If I’m already in a GM job or I’m one of the top assistants I probably wait for the next opportunity.

Someone out there will disagree with that assessment. We’ll get someone. But I wonder how far down our list we’ll need to go to find them.
jars
Junior
And1: 40

Post#84 » by jars » Mon May 6, 2024 8:43 am

Snakebites wrote:If I’m already in a GM job or I’m one of the top assistants I probably wait for the next opportunity.

True, but it just takes one exec who believes that 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I think announcing that we are looking for a PoBB isn't great management considering the importance of this role. We have hired a firm to go and find candidates, so why not just wait for the decision to be made before announcing. Now my greatest worry is that we rush into a sub-par PoBB because we HAVE to hire someone after that announcement.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,060

Post#85 » by vic » Mon May 6, 2024 12:40 pm

Looking at these playoffs:

Anybody that is talking against analytics needs to just stop talking, typing, or commenting on anything Pistons related. Those teams are winning.

Whoever the next President is needs to be all out committed to statistics based evaluation and team building. This eye-test, potential based, half-baked, BPA, thrown together stuff from Troy is complete trash and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Troy has literally brought together all the extinct player archetypes in this rebuild:
1. bigs that can’t defend,
2. shooting guards that are streaky,
3. guards that are too small but cannot compensate with shooting or playmaking.

A better coach would have made them more competitive by playing them in the right combinations. But there’s too many incomplete players on this team, and that’s 100% on Troy.

I’m not saying he should be fired, because he did bring in some very talented players with the leadership capacities that you need to win, ie Cade, Stewart, to a lesser extent Ivey & Duren, Ausar… and the Fontecchio move was a great correction.

But the rest of his moves from here on out need to be signed off by an analytics expert that knows what it takes to finish the job.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,501

Post#86 » by Canadafan » Mon May 6, 2024 2:22 pm

vic wrote:Looking at these playoffs:

Anybody that is talking against analytics needs to just stop talking, typing, or commenting on anything Pistons related. Those teams are winning.

Whoever the next President is needs to be all out committed to statistics based evaluation and team building. This eye-test, potential based, half-baked, BPA, thrown together stuff from Troy is complete trash and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Troy has literally brought together all the extinct player archetypes in this rebuild:
1. bigs that can’t defend,
2. shooting guards that are streaky,
3. guards that are too small but cannot compensate with shooting or playmaking.

A better coach would have made them more competitive by playing them in the right combinations. But there’s too many incomplete players on this team, and that’s 100% on Troy.

I’m not saying he should be fired, because he did bring in some very talented players with the leadership capacities that you need to win, ie Cade, Stewart, to a lesser extent Ivey & Duren, Ausar… and the Fontecchio move was a great correction.

But the rest of his moves from here on out need to be signed off by an analytics expert that knows what it takes to finish the job.

So very very true.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#87 » by Snakebites » Mon May 6, 2024 2:40 pm

jars wrote:
Snakebites wrote:If I’m already in a GM job or I’m one of the top assistants I probably wait for the next opportunity.

True, but it just takes one exec who believes that 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I think announcing that we are looking for a PoBB isn't great management considering the importance of this role. We have hired a firm to go and find candidates, so why not just wait for the decision to be made before announcing. Now my greatest worry is that we rush into a sub-par PoBB because we HAVE to hire someone after that announcement.

We’re in a rush regardless.

Need one in place in the buildup to the draft.

That’s just how it is.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,238

Post#88 » by NYPiston » Mon May 6, 2024 3:07 pm

Cowology wrote:Outside of Detroit, the League is in such a good spot. Mavs vs Thunder?? Sounds great! And holy cow, NYK fans have got to be loving Brunson. Dude is on a tear. So much good bball being played right now.

Stern globalized the game, but the job Silver has done from a competitive balance standpoint is remarkable. Tweaks to the draft, the play-in & mid-season tournament and the 2nd apron push everybody towards parity, but we've also evolved to a point where things like shooting & team play are at a premium. This isn't "ugly" basketball. It's fun to watch and exciting to see new teams emerge.

I remember when a bunch of Pistons fans were pooping their pants at the mere idea of Brunson at 4 years $80m or whatever the projected number was. The moment I saw him running Dallas when Luka was out for that playoff series, I wanted this guy on my team. Nobody saw THIS coming with Brunson but you can see that special quality in his game the moment he got his opportunity.

The worst for me is seeing how good Orlando is, and OKC for that matter, and how improved Houston was this season, and how quickly Cleveland improved a few years ago after being in the dumpster with the Pistons. It's just a reminder of how far behind the Pistons are behind every other franchise that was down in the dumps with them for a few years.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by NYPiston » Mon May 6, 2024 3:12 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Yeah knowing this is all the proof you need to know Troy stinks at drafting.

The 2020 draft could of changed everything for us if we had a good GM without getting pick 1 though. Hali over Kill we got a superstar. Maxey who some fans in the draft thread wanted when he fell as BAP we passed up twice is also a superstar. Now were seeing all these guys as star in the playoffs it sucks.

Meh, lots of people were happy with Hayes at the time. This is definitely a hindsight argument. Maxey was not an obvious BPA at the time in the least, Hailburton was the guy that was falling but there were also a lot of questions about his upside with lots of folks pegging him a high floor, modest ceiling guy. It was much like this upcoming draft in a lot of ways, a draft lottery littered with question marks.

I could sort of forgive Weaver for the Hayes pick for the aforementioned reasons but striking out 3 times in the 1st and still paying a heavy price for that Stewart trade with not having control of future 1sts is unforgivable.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,831

Post#90 » by theBigLip » Mon May 6, 2024 3:21 pm

NYPiston wrote:
Cowology wrote:Outside of Detroit, the League is in such a good spot. Mavs vs Thunder?? Sounds great! And holy cow, NYK fans have got to be loving Brunson. Dude is on a tear. So much good bball being played right now.

Stern globalized the game, but the job Silver has done from a competitive balance standpoint is remarkable. Tweaks to the draft, the play-in & mid-season tournament and the 2nd apron push everybody towards parity, but we've also evolved to a point where things like shooting & team play are at a premium. This isn't "ugly" basketball. It's fun to watch and exciting to see new teams emerge.

I remember when a bunch of Pistons fans were pooping their pants at the mere idea of Brunson at 4 years $80m or whatever the projected number was. The moment I saw him running Dallas when Luka was out for that playoff series, I wanted this guy on my team. Nobody saw THIS coming with Brunson but you can see that special quality in his game the moment he got his opportunity.

The worst for me is seeing how good Orlando is, and OKC for that matter, and how improved Houston was this season, and how quickly Cleveland improved a few years ago after being in the dumpster with the Pistons. It's just a reminder of how far behind the Pistons are behind every other franchise that was down in the dumps with them for a few years.

Pistons did have a worse situation than these other teams as has been discussed. OKC especially had assets to move to start its rebuild. Regardless, even if that excuse gives the Pistons another year, this is the year.

We’ve got the cap space to get some key pieces, our young guys have been able to get some playing time (however horrible it was, still better than them stuck on the bench behind some mediocre vet).

But this is a playoff thread and I digress. Maybe next year for the Pistons if we have a spectacular off season.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#91 » by buzzkilloton » Mon May 6, 2024 4:11 pm

NYPiston wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Yeah knowing this is all the proof you need to know Troy stinks at drafting.

The 2020 draft could of changed everything for us if we had a good GM without getting pick 1 though. Hali over Kill we got a superstar. Maxey who some fans in the draft thread wanted when he fell as BAP we passed up twice is also a superstar. Now were seein all these guys as star in the playoffs it sucks.

Meh, lots of people were happy with Hayes at the time. This is definitely a hindsight argument. Maxey was not an obvious BPA at the time in the least, Hailburton was the guy that was falling but there were also a lot of questions about his upside with lots of folks pegging him a high floor, modest ceiling guy. It was much like this upcoming draft in a lot of ways, a draft lottery littered with question marks.

I could sort of forgive Weaver for the Hayes pick for the aforementioned reasons but striking out 3 times in the 1st and still paying a heavy price for that Stewart trade with not having control of future 1sts is unforgivable.

Maxey was 100% a faller off the draft boards that season. I remember myself and others wanting him in the realGM draft thread that year and on reddit. You can go find posts in it here if you want I'm not that going to do that.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/11/16135122/The-Athletics-2020-NBA-Draft-Guide-2.pdf

Sam Vs 2020 draft guide. Hali 7 Hayes 10 Maxey 14 Bey 16 Stew 24 he also had Bane 19 fwiw

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/results/top100/_/year/2020

Hali 8 Hayes 10 Bey 15 Maxey 16 H Stew isnt top 20 I'm not looking on the next page to see where he was.

https://theathletic.com/2200224/2020/11/17/nba-draft-big-board/

Hayes 5 Hali 8 Bey 15 Maxey 16 Stew 28

I'm not going to look up every draft board because I've already had this conversation multiple times where someone says "Maxey wasnt consensus" at that time and done that so I already know its the case on the vast majority of the boards.

Yes if you look at KoCs board that year he had Hayes pick 1 but in general his draft stuff stinks.

Hayes vs Hali wasnt a automatic choice I agree. Some wanted Hayes some wanted Hali. Guess what though fans shouldnt be held to the standard of a NBA GM. GMs have tons of resources we dont have a team of scouts, tons of insider info, and make millions. GMs are supposed to be the best in the WORLD at drafting and building teams in the NBA.

Ofc nobody is going to hit on every pick. A GM said to be a hired due to his drafting ability should from time to time be capable of hitting on a Maxey,Hali, or Bane. Troy went aggressive in his first draft here and missed out multiple times on guys that could of changed everything here. Another failure GM who cant draft outside of picking the BAP in the top 5.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 492

Post#92 » by MortSahlfan » Mon May 6, 2024 4:20 pm

I remember the weeks leading up to the draft, they would constantly show Maxey. And then I was surprised he fell so low after being featured.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by buzzkilloton » Mon May 6, 2024 4:26 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:I remember the weeks leading up to the draft, they would constantly show Maxey. And then I was surprised he fell so low after being featured.

Yup he was one of the big fallers of the draft from the top that year because he was a projected lotto guy.

I've seen the argument used "so all those other NBA teams passed Maxey too". Well guess what I want a GM who is good at drafting who is better then the GMs who let him fall. Troy was brought here because of his drafting skill thats what we were sold on.

Ofc no GM is going to hit on every guy. How about one fkn time we have a GM that can hit on a D.Mitch,Booker,Maxey, or Hali when their looking us in face. If we could just hit on a guy like that one time it would make such a massive impact on the franchise.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by NYPiston » Mon May 6, 2024 6:31 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Maxey was 100% a faller off the draft boards that season. I remember myself and others wanting him in the realGM draft thread that year and on reddit. You can go find posts in it here if you want I'm not that going to do that.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2020/11/16135122/The-Athletics-2020-NBA-Draft-Guide-2.pdf

Sam Vs 2020 draft guide. Hali 7 Hayes 10 Maxey 14 Bey 16 Stew 24 he also had Bane 19 fwiw

Hali 8 Hayes 10 Bey 15 Maxey 16 H Stew isnt top 20 I'm not looking on the next page to see where he was.

I'm not going to look up every draft board because I've already had this conversation multiple times where someone says "Maxey wasnt consensus" at that time and done that so I already know its the case on the vast majority of the boards.

Yes if you look at KoCs board that year he had Hayes pick 1 but in general his draft stuff stinks.

Hayes vs Hali wasnt a automatic choice I agree. Some wanted Hayes some wanted Hali. Guess what though fans shouldnt be held to the standard of a NBA GM. GMs have tons of resources we dont have a team of scouts, tons of insider info, and make millions. GMs are supposed to be the best in the WORLD at drafting and building teams in the NBA.

Ofc nobody is going to hit on every pick. A GM said to be a hired due to his drafting ability should from time to time be capable of hitting on a Maxey,Hali, or Bane. Troy went aggressive in his first draft here and missed out multiple times on guys that could of changed everything here. Another failure GM who cant draft outside of picking the BAP in the top 5.

Am I missing something? You're showing me draft boards where Maxey was consistently ranked below the Pistons spot which furthers my point.

I remember those days leading up to the draft, there was absolutely no consensus at the Pistons pick and quite a few posters liked Hayes. Hailburton was the guy that was the faller that night. Most expected Edwards, Wiseman and Ball to go in the top 3 then there was lots of Hailburton in the 4-5 range with the mystery box of Avdija as the mystery box. Other than that, it was WIDE open when it came to the Pistons range. Maxey was NOT an obvious consensus pick. I can say that with a lot of confidence.

Odd, I can't find a draft night thread so the closest thing I have is the "rate the draft" thread

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2018922

As you can see, lots of folks liked the Hayes pick and I don't see many posts about missing out on Maxey.

Nevermind, I did find the draft night thread..

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2018514

Ahhh, the threads aren't linking for some reason. Anyway, lots of folks did like the Hayes pick.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a misunderstanding. You were talking about Stew over Maxey while my original post was saying that it was hindsight to say that most wanted Maxey over Hayes.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,233

Post#95 » by BDM22 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:50 pm

NYPiston wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Am I missing something? You're showing me draft boards where Maxey was consistently ranked below the Pistons spot which furthers my point.

I remember those days leading up to the draft, there was absolutely no consensus at the Pistons pick and quite a few posters liked Hayes. Hailburton was the guy that was the faller that night. Most expected Edwards, Wiseman and Ball to go in the top 3 then there was lots of Hailburton in the 4-5 range with the mystery box of Avdija as the mystery box. Other than that, it was WIDE open when it came to the Pistons range. Maxey was NOT an obvious consensus pick. I can say that with a lot of confidence.

Odd, I can't find a draft night thread so the closest thing I have is the "rate the draft" thread

As you can see, lots of folks liked the Hayes pick and I don't see many posts about missing out on Maxey.

Nevermind, I did find the draft night thread..

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2018514

I think it's somehow referring to taking Stew over Maxey.

I also think it's pretty clear the Pistons were targeting a guard, and wing, and a big with those picks. Just ended up with the wrong guard (Hali) and wing (Bane) especially lol. Biggest issue was going all-in on such a crapshoot of a draft during Covid.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by buzzkilloton » Mon May 6, 2024 6:54 pm

NYPiston wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

I never said we had a consensus with our 1st pick in the draft. I said Maxey fell as a consensus top pick we had two chances to draft him when he was a top player on big boards. We passed twice a good GM can make those hits from time to time.

I cant even get to that link you posted when i copy paste it goes no where. Regardless I'm sure after the fact in the rate the draft thread everyone sold themselves on the draft being good and that Troy killed it. We all read the same pro Pistons media and learn about our picks and get excited. Were fans we want to believe in our GM the draft guru as he picked up 3 picks it was exciting at the time.

I do remember were very excited about Bey in the draft thread and upset about Stewart. I wanted Maxey or Poku(that would of busted lol) with the 2nd pick and Maxey with the 3rd when Poku was gone.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,725

Post#97 » by Cowology » Tue May 7, 2024 3:01 am

Minny looking dominant vs. the champs. Without Gobert. In Denver.

Honestly, Minny/Boston would be a hell of a battle.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,369

Post#98 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:08 am

Not sure it would be. The way Minnesota is playing, I think Celtics would be lucky to avoid getting swept.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by NYPiston » Tue May 7, 2024 3:10 am

Is there like any chance in hell that Minny can't afford Naz Reid. Give me Connelly and Reid and I'd consider anything else this offseason to be gravy.

Edit: I see the Reid is signed through next season until his player option kicks in which he'll almost certainly decline so there goes that dream until further notice.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 102

Post#100 » by SuperBad » Tue May 7, 2024 3:58 am

I get how bad of pick Hayes turned out to be, but there were a lot of gms that missed Halliburton, and Maxey. Troy had made his choice at the guard he wasn’t going to draft another that year. I think Maxey might just be like Jordan Poole, very talented, but would struggle a lot more in a different situation, and not look so great.

Return to Detroit Pistons