ImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,369

Re: Free Agency 

Post#221 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:45 pm

Yeah, I'd consider him as a vet presence for the MLE, but honestly he's a depth player at best at this point and that's *on* a bad team. I disagree with the idea that someone posted that he'd come in and be our second best player right away. I think he's really fallen off from his peak.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,725

Post#222 » by Cowology » Sat May 4, 2024 10:05 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Yeah, I'd consider him as a vet presence for the MLE, but honestly he's a depth player at best at this point and that's *on* a bad team. I disagree with the idea that someone posted that he'd come in and be our second best player right away. I think he's really fallen off from his peak.
Tobias is a weird dude. His game is ideally suited to being a 3rd option, but he struggles most in that role. He's better as the #2 guy but not good enough to actually hold that spot on a good team. I think he's going to find the market a lot softer than he'd hoped. I could absolutely envision a scenario where we give him a large 2-yr deal with the thought that eventually Ausar will supplant him. I just hope we don't bid against ourselves.

If we did that and then overpaid a lil for Monk it wouldn't be the worst off-season. As has been stated numerous times by a few different people; FA isn't what it used to be. Our cap space may be of greater value on the trade market.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,374

Post#223 » by Spider156 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:27 pm

If we can sign Westbrook I would do it. We need any veteran leadership for the team, he can teach Ivey how to use his athleticism.
Defense wins championships
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#224 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sat May 4, 2024 11:33 pm

BDM22 wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:Let’s not overpay anybody - we stink.

There are going to be so many opportunities to pick up players and picks this summer - only Troy could screw it up. He did last year - he took $21 million off the table for two measly second round picks.

Lots of teams are going to offer Detroit players plus picks. Why? Because Detroit has the money! Look at the Clippers - they made huge trades for Harden and George - now it’s time to pay them. And they’re already over the apron. Powell? Mann? They’ll be available. And both those guys can SHOOT. Lots more - Miami, Milwaukee, Boston - teams that will need to shed some depth to keep the rest paid.

Our cap space is so valuable- I can only hope someone like Presti and not like Weaver is in charge of it. Presti would take a player with a couple picks and trade him for more picks in a matter of weeks. Examples - Horford and Walker. Weaver is probably looking at Ben Simmons and his $40 million expiring and thinking he’ll pick up a second rounder or two. I’ll go vomit now.

The part always ignored about Horford and Walker is that OKC gave up a proven, playoff starting 3&D wing at the time (Danny Green) in addition to taking on Horford's bloated money. It was more like if we traded Fontecchio to a team for a bloated contract in return and got a late 1st for it. Meh...

And then Kemba was $73M of totally dead money for multiple years and they got a Boston 1st to take that on. We literally got Boston's 1st rounder last year for TWO 2nd round picks! lol

I absolutely do not see that as a better option than using that cap space on useful players that have trade value like Weaver did with Jerami Grant (and got an actual lotto pick for him in the end).

Now, where OKC has an advantage is they can (and basically have to) trade those kinds of picks forward for better/more picks because they already have a war chest of picks from trading ALL-NBA talent in their primes like Paul George and Westbrook. This is the real difference here. The Pistons can't really acquire extra picks like the Sasser, Duren, Stew, Bey picks and kick them forward to future drafts where they might be more favorable or you can get teams to sweeten the pot with extra picks. They're desperate for talent now. And that's because they started with literal negative assets.

That's why I've been saying I'd be fine blowing it all up (including Cade) to get that future pick capital and THEN start going for the deals for extra picks you can start flipping forward by taking bad contracts or by signing players to reasonable contracts, boosting their value, and trading them. It sucks to keep sucking, but I think that's the only realistic way I see out of this asset deficit we're in compared to every other rebuilding team. This draft being so horrible has put me further into that camp.

Let me try to make myself a little clearer…..

We’re the only team that has cap space to be used to acquire assets like this. Let’s not screw it up.

And yes, I am all for trading Cade and starting over. Weaver has been one of the worst GM’s in NBA history - that’s not an exaggeration. But I don’t think the Pistons are wired like that. And that starts at the top.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,974

Post#225 » by Snakebites » Sat May 4, 2024 11:47 pm

Spider156 wrote:If we can sign Westbrook I would do it. We need any veteran leadership for the team, he can teach Ivey how to use his athleticism.

Oh jeez no.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#226 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 5, 2024 12:27 am

Snakebites wrote:
Spider156 wrote:If we can sign Westbrook I would do it. We need any veteran leadership for the team, he can teach Ivey how to use his athleticism.

Oh jeez no.

Agreed. I wouldn’t want him even if he paid the Pistons to play for them.

He’s way too arrogant for his current level of play.

There’s just something off about him.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,406

Post#227 » by Mr Peanut » Sun May 5, 2024 1:53 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Yeah, I'd consider him as a vet presence for the MLE, but honestly he's a depth player at best at this point and that's *on* a bad team. I disagree with the idea that someone posted that he'd come in and be our second best player right away. I think he's really fallen off from his peak.

It was me who said that, and I base it on his regular season stats from this season where he averaged 17.2/6.5/3.1 on 58% TS and a PER of 16.5 on a playoff team. He'll be 32 by the start of next season and his game isn't predicated on athleticism so one would assume his production will be the same, if not slightly less.

Outside of Cade, there's no one else currently on our roster who would project next season to have more of an impact than the above. Maybe Duren if he takes a significant step forward. Ivey would be doubtful though (if he's still on the team). So I don't think it's outlandish at all to say he would be the second best on our roster, and it's not necessarily praising Tobias in any way, it's more demonstrating that the overall level of talent on our roster is quite low.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,374

Post#228 » by Spider156 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:14 am

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Oh jeez no.

He’s on a contender. I think signing in Detroit would signal that he’s not looking to contend and maybe he’d sign a one or two year 10-20m dollar deal. Westbrook plays hard, he’s better than having Sasser on the team. I like Sasser but idiot weaver should’ve drafted GG jackson, I was screaming his name when the trade was announced. Weaver is an idiot. I really think the solution to our problem is trading Duren for a wing like Ingram (somehow, idc how) and benching Ivey and trading Sasser or make him third string which is a waste of a good draft pick in first round. I’d probably add him to Duren to get Ingram.
Defense wins championships
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#229 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 5, 2024 3:31 am

Spider156 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Oh jeez no.

He’s on a contender. I think signing in Detroit would signal that he’s not looking to contend and maybe he’d sign a one or two year 10-20m dollar deal. Westbrook plays hard, he’s better than having Sasser on the team. I like Sasser but idiot weaver should’ve drafted GG jackson, I was screaming his name when the trade was announced. Weaver is an idiot. I really think the solution to our problem is trading Duren for a wing like Ingram (somehow, idc how) and benching Ivey and trading Sasser or make him third string which is a waste of a good draft pick in first round. I’d probably add him to Duren to get Ingram.

I remember, that was a good call on GG Jackson. I hadn’t seen him play much but I love gambling on skilled young guys with high ceilings.

As far a Westbrick, we can’t afford a non shooter who thinks he’s someone and plays significant minutes.

He might be able to show leadership with effort but he’s not able to teach winning because he’s never done that at this level.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,974

Post#230 » by Snakebites » Sun May 5, 2024 3:51 am

Even if you like Westbrook's game for some reason surely you must acknowledge that he's a terrible fit with Cade.

And he's just not the mentor type to be honest. He thinks he's still the man- that's why he wants to leave the Clippers.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#231 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:46 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:

It was me who said that, and I base it on his regular season stats from this season where he averaged 17.2/6.5/3.1 on 58% TS and a PER of 16.5 on a playoff team. He'll be 32 by the start of next season and his game isn't predicated on athleticism so one would assume his production will be the same, if not slightly less.

Outside of Cade, there's no one else currently on our roster who would project next season to have more of an impact than the above. Maybe Duren if he takes a significant step forward. Ivey would be doubtful though (if he's still on the team). So I don't think it's outlandish at all to say he would be the second best on our roster, and it's not necessarily praising Tobias in any way, it's more demonstrating that the overall level of talent on our roster is quite low.

Duren had an 18.7 PER and 62% TS. These stats are meaningless without context. Tobias spent all season on a team where he was, at best, the third option, and frequently disappeared when he was needed most.
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#232 » by Mr Peanut » Mon May 6, 2024 8:32 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Duren had an 18.7 PER and 62% TS. These stats are meaningless without context. Tobias spent all season on a team where he was, at best, the third option, and frequently disappeared when he was needed most.

Duren's stats came on a historically bad 14 win team while Harris's were on a 47 win playoff team, that context is also important.

I think Tobias is overall judged a bit harshly due to (a) his recent playoff performance and (b) his production in relation to his bloated contract.

The reality is he is an average/slightly above average PF in the league. We only have one average/above average starter currently in Cade. Duren has the potential to be in that conversation next season but was inconsistent this season and his defense seemed to take a step back. So I can't see a good argument for putting any of our roster at a clear number 2 over Tobias right now, although I'd be happy to be proved wrong if at least one or two of our current guys take a significant step forward next season.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,501

Post#233 » by Canadafan » Mon May 6, 2024 12:30 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39854744/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2024-2025

Some guys that are signed long term for next 4 seasons that we could flip Ivey or Stewart(whos set to make 15mil) or our lotto pick or just take into cap space;

Jerami Grant 29Mil
Cam Johnson 23mil
Kuzma 23mil
Wiggins 26mil
DeAndre Hunter 21mil

If we deal Stew then we could look to bring back Wiseman.
If it's Ivey, we still have cap space to sign Monk or Tyus or other(or take on Lavine :lol: )
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#234 » by Mr Peanut » Tue May 7, 2024 11:30 am

I wonder if there's any offer for Immanuel Quickley that Toronto wouldn't match, or if he could be had in a sign and trade (involving Ivey + filler).

After arriving to Toronto he averaged 18.6 ppg, 6.8 apg, 4.8 rpg shooting 39.5% from 3 on 7.1 attempts per game. Feel like he would complement Cade well in the backcourt with his outside shooting and sharing ballhandling duties.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#235 » by Kalamazoo317 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:41 pm

More and more I think we just need to sign every scrappy, hard scrabble, defensively grinding mfer we can in free agency and let Cade, Tek, and the young developmentals provide whatever offense we can muster. Raise the floor with defense and every night competitive intensity, NY Knicks-style.

Give me Pat Bev, give me Claxton, give me Derrick Jones Jr., Justin Holiday, Doug McDermott, Lamar Stevens, Kyle Anderson, Isaiah Hartenstein, Gary Harris, Kyle Lowry, Royce O'Neale. Give me scrappy guards and wings who can defend and hustle. Give me rim protectors at center. Lets just improve the team's toughness and competitiveness and fix the culture first.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,501

Post#236 » by Canadafan » Tue May 7, 2024 9:05 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:More and more I think we just need to sign every scrappy, hard scrabble, defensively grinding mfer we can in free agency and let Cade, Tek, and the young developmentals provide whatever offense we can muster. Raise the floor with defense and every night competitive intensity, NY Knicks-style.

Give me Pat Bev, give me Claxton, give me Derrick Jones Jr., Justin Holiday, Doug McDermott, Lamar Stevens, Kyle Anderson, Isaiah Hartenstein, Gary Harris, Kyle Lowry, Royce O'Neale. Give me scrappy guards and wings who can defend and hustle. Give me rim protectors at center. Lets just improve the team's toughness and competitiveness and fix the culture first.

Love that!
Would luv if we did that, made playin(which meant we had entertaining basketball all year). Then lose the playin! Lol. Then win the draft lottery! Boom.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,233

Post#237 » by BDM22 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:28 pm

Canadafan wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39854744/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2024-2025

Some guys that are signed long term for next 4 seasons that we could flip Ivey or Stewart(whos set to make 15mil) or our lotto pick or just take into cap space;

Jerami Grant 29Mil
Cam Johnson 23mil
Kuzma 23mil
Wiggins 26mil
DeAndre Hunter 21mil

If we deal Stew then we could look to bring back Wiseman.
If it's Ivey, we still have cap space to sign Monk or Tyus or other(or take on Lavine :lol: )

Most I'd offer for any of those guys is a couple of 2nds and pure cap relief by just absorbing the contract. Only Jerami Grant amongst those names is notably better than Tobias Harris, so I'm not sure I see the upside in giving up any of our tradable assets (Ivey, 1sts, or Stew) for them.

Cam Johnson and Hunter are fringe starters getting paid like #3 guys and are always hurt. Grant is making crazy money to play a role that he would never play on a good team, and I'm not sure he cares to play on a good team. Same with Kuz, though his contract is more fair (but I think his fit is worse since he doesn't shoot well and doesn't defend).

Andrew Wiggins is maybe the worst contract in the league if it weren't for his old teammate Jordan Poole lol. Golden State is gonna have to attach real assets to him to get off of that money.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 214

Post#238 » by DET_Athletics » Wed May 8, 2024 1:52 pm

Got a crazy idea, how about going after saddiq bey in free agency. He would compliment the rotation well and if I'm being honest I wasn't completely sold on the Wiseman trade. If we land the Number 1 pick I feel Saddiq would fit better than Wiseman on the roster moving forward, plus Casey isn't the coach anymore.

Cade / Sasse
Ivey / Grimes
Thompson / Bey
Sarr / Fonteccio
Duren / Stewart

That looks like a really good squad

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#239 » by bstein14 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:01 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:I wonder if there's any offer for Immanuel Quickley that Toronto wouldn't match, or if he could be had in a sign and trade (involving Ivey + filler).

After arriving to Toronto he averaged 18.6 ppg, 6.8 apg, 4.8 rpg shooting 39.5% from 3 on 7.1 attempts per game. Feel like he would complement Cade well in the backcourt with his outside shooting and sharing ballhandling duties.

Quickley would be a big get for us. I think he's still pretty under the radar. His advanced stats have him as great in the pick and roll game as well and I think he would pair really well with Cade because he plays well both on and off the ball.

I'd give Quickley more than I would have given Cam Johnson last season. 4 years $120 million offer would be worth it for me (Flat $30 million per year and perhaps even the 4th year letting him have a player option). He'd be a much better player for us than Tobias at $30 million per. He put up an efficient 21.2 PPG post all-star break. It would likely take a max offer for Toronto to baulk at matching. I haven't really talked about him much because he's a RFA and feels like it unlikely we go after RFAs historically.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#240 » by bstein14 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:02 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:Got a crazy idea, how about going after saddiq bey in free agency. He would compliment the rotation well and if I'm being honest I wasn't completely sold on the Wiseman trade. If we land the Number 1 pick I feel Saddiq would fit better than Wiseman on the roster moving forward, plus Casey isn't the coach anymore.

Cade / Sasse
Ivey / Grimes
Thompson / Bey
Sarr / Fonteccio
Duren / Stewart

That looks like a really good squad

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app

Bey wasn't happy with a backup role and an offer for less than MLE $ I highly doubt we'd consider Bey unless Atlanta renounced his rights and he was coming in on something like a 2 year deal at $4-5 million PER. IMO his stock dropped quite a bit he shot awful last year and then got a serious injury.

Return to Detroit Pistons