Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,072

Re: Playoff Losers = Trade Opportunities 

Post#81 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:25 pm

theBigLip wrote:
bstein14 wrote:One interesting trade would be with Miami... Miami is actually a top FA destination and they eventually will want to hit a reset and land some FAs to come play with their team. They can pretty easily get FAs we can't. Could they hit the reset button early (this summer) to try and land a big fish or two to pair with Jimmy and Bam???

Detroit trades: Jaden Ivey($8)

Detroit receives: Duncan Robinson($19), Tyler Herro($29), and Terry Rozier($25), future pick(s)

Pistons use up all $60 million of their cap space in this trade but they'd still have the room exception to add one lower $$ FA.

C: Duren / Top 3 pick / Vet Min?
F: Stew / Ausar
F: Font / Robinson
G: Herro / Grimes
G:Cade / Terry / Sasser

Not the best use of $60 million, but it lessens the length compared to deals we'd give out today and we actually get 3 decent rotation players all of whom can shoot the ball and score the ball.

Would Jovic make more sense than Rozier? Better position fit and cheaper.

Miami would be doing this to clear the books to land FAs this summer such as LeBron, CP3, Klay Thompson, PG13, Pascal Siakam, OG, etc. They aren't making this move unless they already know they have some FAs coming.

They pretty much have Butler at $49 million this summer and Bam at $35 million and a bunch of minimum guys if they make this trade.

It's obviously not very realistic overall, and I'd rather have Jovic than Terry but overall I think they'd need to clear the books clean and get rid of Terry's money as well. Even this move only gets them to about $50 million in cap space if they flipped Ivey or $42 million with Ivey.

Like if they knew they could get LeBron + PG13 to split $ to come to south beach and then add CP3 at the room exception.

C Bam
F Lebron
F PG13
G Butler
G CP3

It's a stretch for sure.

They could also look at making moves with multiple teams with cap space to take that trio.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#82 » by bstein14 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm

Orlando tying up the Cavs 2-2 is pretty interesting for sure. It wasn't long ago at all they were bottom feeding with us (same with Indy) and now both Indy and Orlando are looking like they might have a decent chance to win a playoff series this year.

If the Cavs lose in the first round yet again I think its a safe bet that D Mitchell could be on the move this summer and we may be able to get a decent player being the third team helping that trade happen. Possibly a Duncan Robinson for nothing, or Terry Rozier for nothing.... Bojan Bogdanovich for nothing, etc. He's most likely going to the Knicks, Nets, LAL or Heat IMO.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,834

Post#83 » by zeebneeb » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 pm

One thing that should be apparent to anyone who has been watching the playoffs so far;

Rim protection is an absolute priority. I fully support signing Claxton in the offseason, unless a trade for an even better shotblocker comes up.

As a reminder, Claxton was tied for fourth in blocks per game(2.1 in 29.8mpg), and just turned 25(10 days ago)
bstein14
RealGM

Post#84 » by bstein14 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am

zeebneeb wrote:One thing that should be apparent to anyone who has been watching the playoffs so far;

Rim protection is an absolute priority. I fully support signing Claxton in the offseason, unless a trade for an even better shotblocker comes up.

As a reminder, Claxton was tied for fourth in blocks per game(2.1 in 29.8mpg), and just turned 25(10 days ago)

So you're ok paying Claxton something like 4 years $100 million?

Claxton 30 MPG as the starter and Duren at 18 MPG as his backup? Letting Wiseman walk?
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,710

Post#85 » by Cowology » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Claxton is solid, but wouldn't be my priority. He's closer to 26-28 mpg player. IF we had him instead of Stew I'd be OK, but don't think we need both unless Duren is on the move.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#86 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:01 am

bstein14 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:One thing that should be apparent to anyone who has been watching the playoffs so far;

So you're ok paying Claxton something like 4 years $100 million?

Claxton 30 MPG as the starter and Duren at 18 MPG as his backup? Letting Wiseman walk?
Absolutely. He is 4th in the league in blocks. Thats a deterrent.

I'm for trading the pick+Duren+Ivey+Stewart, for a legit piece next to Cade.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#87 » by Pandev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 am

Its so hard to get needle-moving talent in today's NBA. When you get that chance to get a top 20 guy you need to go for it.

We have one great piece in CADE, he just needs someone else next to him.

I don't think Ivey or Duren are top level guys or perennial All Stars. They're very one-dimensional and have so much work to do to get to even a well rounded NBA starter-level player. Fans need to stop falling in love with 'potential' and every national writer can see our players for what they are, expect Pistons fans and our FO.

Especially on the defence side.

With our cap space I would go after Miles Bridges, Monk and Claxton/Hardentein. That would round out our starters and good offence/defence balance.

Trade the young guys like Ivey for a second star next to Cade if possible.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,798

Post#88 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:04 am

The Suns are out. Not sure why they went all in w Beal. We are going to see the effects of the second apron pretty soon.

So this thread was created for this purpose in mind. Do the Suns need blow things up? They are certainly not good enough to just run it back. Booker can’t be happy.

Is there anyone we can poach off their roster that would help?
jars
Junior
And1: 32

Post#89 » by jars » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:57 am

theBigLip wrote:The Suns are out. Not sure why they went all in w Beal. We are going to see the effects of the second apron pretty soon.

So this thread was created for this purpose in mind. Do the Suns need blow things up? They are certainly not good enough to just run it back. Booker can’t be happy.

Hours after the exit and it has already come out that KD was moaning that the coaching staff made the offense too pick and roll based and put him in the corner. They already talking about a full coaching staff change for the second offseason in a row which seems more likely than a blow it up situations.

The Suns can't really blow it up to be honest because their picks are virtually unprotected or only convey as a swap if in the lottery. Maybe they try and re-tool, but who could they get for Beal or Nurkic? Regardless, the only players I want from the Suns are Booker and Grayson Allen (and maybe Bol Bol just for those highlight plays every few games). The rest are either too old to fit our timeline or too expensive.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#90 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:48 am

jars wrote:
theBigLip wrote:The Suns are out. Not sure why they went all in w Beal. We are going to see the effects of the second apron pretty soon.

Hours after the exit and it has already come out that KD was moaning that the coaching staff made the offense too pick and roll based and put him in the corner. They already talking about a full coaching staff change for the second offseason in a row which seems more likely than a blow it up situations.

The Suns can't really blow it up to be honest because their picks are virtually unprotected or only convey as a swap if in the lottery. Maybe they try and re-tool, but who could they get for Beal or Nurkic? Regardless, the only players I want from the Suns are Booker and Grayson Allen (and maybe Bol Bol just for those highlight plays every few games). The rest are either too old to fit our timeline or too expensive.
I would trade the house for Booker. Hopefully that pick is #1 for enticement.

Duren/Ivey/Ausar/Stewart +#1&2029 unprotected. Put all those players around KD/Beal for the Suns.

Sign Claxton/Monk/Royce

Cade
Booker
Royce
Tek
Claxton

Obviously I would love to keep one of Ausar/Stewart just to fill out the starters, but I am not hellbent on the idea.

Just an idea.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#91 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
jars wrote:

I would trade the house for Booker. Hopefully that pick is #1 for enticement.

Duren/Ivey/Ausar/Stewart +#1&2029 unprotected. Put all those players around KD/Beal for the Suns.

Sign Claxton/Monk/Royce

Cade
Booker
Royce
Tek
Claxton

Obviously I would love to keep one of Ausar/Stewart just to fill out the starters, but I am not hellbent on the idea.

Just an idea.

Booker would be great. KD would be as well but less of an age fit (but we could obviously use that shooting).

New owner syndrome for sure. Suns are f—ked. I doubt Booker resigns w them. It will be interesting this offseason to see what they do.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,866

Post#92 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm

There’s no way they’re trading Booker. At least not this offseason. They’ve no draft pick this year (and thus one less young player to kick that rebuild off) and more importantly will have their pick downgraded next season if they rip it down to tank.

It’s possible they move him down the road if they think he’ll leave, but they’ll put off doing that as long as possible given how slow and ugly a rebuild would be.

Certainly this year they’ll try to improve and run it back. As hopeless as that may appear to be it’s really the only play right now.

And I frankly don’t think we’d be realistic suitors in any case. At least not without Cade on the table.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#93 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 pm

Snakebites wrote:There’s no way they’re trading Booker. At least not this offseason. They’ve no draft pick this year (and thus one less young player to kick that rebuild off) and more importantly will have their pick downgraded next season if they rip it down to tank.

It’s possible they move him down the road if they think he’ll leave, but they’ll put off doing that as long as possible given how slow and ugly a rebuild would be.

Certainly this year they’ll try to improve and run it back. As hopeless as that may appear to be it’s really the only play right now.

And I frankly don’t think we’d be realistic suitors in any case. At least not without Cade on the table.

They definitely have to run it back. But it doesn't mean Booker is looking at this and knowing he will never win a championship with this team. KD and Beal are just getting older. They had no choice but to overpay Grayson Allen since they could only replace him with a min player. But this is looking like a disaster. Milwaukee isn't far behind. Giannis and Dame have to stay healthy, but even then, their roster looks bad. Both of those teams have spent all their assets to get here. Going to be an interesting offseason.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 470

Post#94 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 pm

If the Suns decide to trade Booker, there are other teams who will have enormously more to offer them than the Pistons can.

Don't get your hopes up.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,866

Post#95 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:39 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Snakebites wrote:There’s no way they’re trading Booker. At least not this offseason. They’ve no draft pick this year (and thus one less young player to kick that rebuild off) and more importantly will have their pick downgraded next season if they rip it down to tank.

They definitely have to run it back. But it doesn't mean Booker is looking at this and knowing he will never win a championship with this team. KD and Beal are just getting older. They had no choice but to overpay Grayson Allen since they could only replace him with a min player. But this is looking like a disaster. Milwaukee isn't far behind. Giannis and Dame have to stay healthy, but even then, their roster looks bad. Both of those teams have spent all their assets to get here. Going to be an interesting offseason.

I don’t think players view it the way we do.

I doubt Booker is thinking that yet.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,710

Post#96 » by Cowology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm

theBigLip wrote:

Yeah, Phx really isn't in any sort of position to "blow it up". The one player who has value is the one guy they don't want to move. They really should have flushed out the roster around KD/Booker instead of trying to assemble a Big 3. LAC & LAL are both about to be in similarly awkward situations with their aging superstars eating all their cap, although the Lakers may be *slightly* better off since they are really only committed to AD and presumably LBJ.

I can't remember the last time the changing of the guard was so pronounced. It's not one or two guys; this is a generational wave.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 101

Post#97 » by SuperBad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:51 pm

Ivey, No1# overall, Grimes, Stewart, maybe another pick swap down the line that’s not that bad but they need a pG
bstein14
RealGM

Post#98 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:10 pm

If the Cavs lose, Mitchell could realistically be on the block but he likely has zero interest in coming to Detroit. I think he's off to Miami, NY, LA, or Brooklyn with GS being a long shot.

It's a big red flag if he isn't willing to sign a max extension with the Cavs this summer.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#99 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:08 pm

bstein14 wrote:If the Cavs lose, Mitchell could realistically be on the block but he likely has zero interest in coming to Detroit. I think he's off to Miami, NY, LA, or Brooklyn with GS being a long shot.

It's a big red flag if he isn't willing to sign a max extension with the Cavs this summer.

Agree on the pressure for the Cavs to win. If they lose, you’re right, we are not going to be Mitchell’s preferred destination, but we are clearly able to help facilitate a trade. For example, to Miami, something like…

Cavs out: Mitchell
Cavs in: Ivey, Miami draft assets

Miami out: draft assets, Hero or Robinson, Jovic
Miami in: Mitchell

Detroit out: Ivey
Detroit in: Hero or Robinson, Jovic
JennetteMcCurdy
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#100 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:51 pm

I’d send Miami a second rounder for Duncan Robinson - two years left on his deal - becomes more tradeable as time goes by. I wouldn’t trade Ivey for him though - there should be free agents comparable to DR out there…..

Return to Detroit Pistons