Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Re: Game 51 - Pistons @ Heat - 7:30pm ET 

Post#81 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:01 am

Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I r

I .

At this point what I want is to see better player development. Starting that front court leads to poor spacing, which leads to bad shots, turnovers, and less opportunity for Cade/Ivey.

It really is as simple as that.

Yeah having Tecch starting will help spacing some for sure he is a legit volume 40% 3pt shooter.
'
We still have the problem that Duren is a zero from 3pter and Ausar is shooting 18%. I like both guys but its hard to play a NBA offense with 2 negatives from outside and Ivey being below average as well. I still buy Cade is a good shooter hes just in a bad situation playing in this offense with no spacing.

We have a bad coach and ill fitting personal. If we dont really nail this offseason were going to be tanking through these next two seasons and praying to hit one of the big time talents coming out. I think the majority of us just want to see some competent basketball at this point I'm not looking for a title anytime soon.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,982

Post#82 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:08 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
I .

At this point what I want is to see better player development. Starting that front court leads to poor spacing, which leads to bad shots, turnovers, and less opportunity for Cade/Ivey.

Yeah having Tecch starting will help spacing some for sure he is a legit volume 40% 3pt shooter.
'
We still have the problem that Duren is a zero from 3pter and Ausar is shooting 18%. I like both guys but its hard to play a NBA offense with 2 negatives from outside and Ivey being below average as well. I still buy Cade is a good shooter hes just in a bad situation playing in this offense with no spacing.

We have a bad coach and ill fitting personal. If we dont really nail this offseason were going to be tanking through these next two seasons and praying to hit one of the big time talents coming out. I think the majority of us just want to see some competent basketball at this point I'm not looking for a title anytime soon.

Yes. You more or less accept it when your run-running center isn’t a 3 point shooter. But Ausar being a bad 3 point shooter is harmful in the long run.

Agreed on that. But I’m willing to take that hit in the hopes of developing Ausar. See what happens. What I’m not willing to do (or rather what I don’t think the team should be willing to do) is start Stewart along with that. He’s functionally a non shooter in terms of the spacing he actually provides, and we can’t have that.

2 non shooters isn’t ideal but it can be done in the short term. 3 is a no-go.

By willfully continuing to do this we’re making the same mistake we were making at the start of the year- just with Killian gone and Ausar starting.

It’s not working for us in the present and will hurt us in the long run. Nevertheless we persist with it. It’s frustrating.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#83 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:14 am

Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

'

Yes. You more or less accept it when your run-running center isn’t a 3 point shooter. But Ausar being a bad 3 point shooter is harmful in the long run.

Agreed on that. But I’m willing to take that hit in the hopes of developing Ausar. See what happens. What I’m not willing to do (or rather what I don’t think the team should be willing to do) is start Stewart along with that. He’s functionally a non shooter in terms of the spacing he actually provides, and we can’t have that.

By willfully continuing to do this we’re making the same mistake we were making at the start of the year- just with Killian gone and Ausar starting.

It’s not working for us in the present and will hurt us in the long run. Nevertheless we persist with it. It’s frustrating.

Agreed with you its fine to let Ausar start in the short term in the sake of development. Clearly if he ever gets a shot down hes going to be a star. If he doesnt improve some of the summer though him and Duren just isnt going to work.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#84 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:25 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
'

Agreed with you it’s fine to let Ausar start in the short term in the sake of development. Clearly if he ever gets a shot down hes going to be a star. If he doesnt improve some of the summer though him and Duren just isnt going to work.

I don’t care who you start him with. Ausar isn’t a starter in this league if his shot doesn’t improve. Full stop.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 6, 2024 6:52 am

Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
g.

Agreed with you it’s fine to let Ausar start in the short term in the sake of development. Clearly if he ever gets a shot down hes going to be a star. If he doesnt improve some of the summer though him and Duren just isnt going to work.

I don’t care who you start him with. Ausar isn’t a starter in this league if his shot doesn’t improve. Full stop.

If we had 4 good shooters and Ausar so a 5 like Towns or Brook Lopez or something and Ausar way improved his handles and passing with elite defense it could work to some degree. Like those Sixers team that had Simmons that could win a series but not win a title work IF Cade turned into a franchise guy and we picked up another star. Like Ausar would have to be the best wing defender ITL and be a much better facilitator not a likely outcome nor really worth the hassle as was the case with the Sixers Simmons teams.

Having two zero shooters should be unplayable as soon next season in a starting lineup really. We should be making enough roster improvements where its just not worth doing that. Even if were not a playin level team I would hope were at least functional on offense next year.
MortSahlfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 493

Post#86 » by MortSahlfan » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:47 am

Even Greg noticed Monty's least worst rotation. Those Ivey airballs and turnovers and 3's on the other end hurt.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,950

Post#87 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:48 am

I assume the game thread was made in anticipation of our 3P shooting being in Area 51.
Watching the replay now... wish me luck.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,950

Post#88 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:16 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:He surely was playing better while Cade was out. Hes just not an off ball player.

That said like I mentioned above I think the 3pt shooting was running hot. If their was an actual change in his mechanics somewhere it would show up on the FT line. His college FT% was 74% he shot 74.6% as a rookie and hes shooting 74.7% this year. Ivey gets to the line at a good rate so its a good sample size. Even the 3pt % 34.3% as a rook and 34.1% this season.

My take on Ivey is that he needs less to do, and he'll do it better.

Cade got hurt early on, Killian was steaming <<merde>>, so Ivey got cast as a PG. He's not. As an SG, he never got the fundamentals of his natural position down, not an an NBA level. His strengths are his speed and explosiveness and he needs plays called for that. He needs to work on are NBA-level 3P shooting and defending at his position, like most new players. It's clear that Monty gets in his head, without getting his game. <sigh>
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,238

Post#89 » by NYPiston » Wed Mar 6, 2024 3:53 pm

The positive about last night is that it's 1 game closer to this miserable season being over with. I'm just scoreboard watching at this point, I'm just fatigued by this season as we start the slow death march to the end. It seemed like a competitive game but....whatever at this point.

Early on, looks like I was wrong about Grimes who I was pumped about getting. Outside of the revenge game against the Knicks, he's been largely **** especially offensively or injured. Just more icing on the poopcake that is this season.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#90 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 5:13 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

If we had 4 good shooters and Ausar so a 5 like Towns or Brook Lopez or something and Ausar way improved his handles and passing with elite defense it could work to some degree. Like those Sixers team that had Simmons that could win a series but not win a title work IF Cade turned into a franchise guy and we picked up another star. Like Ausar would have to be the best wing defender ITL and be a much better facilitator not a likely outcome nor really worth the hassle as was the case with the Sixers Simmons teams.

Having two zero shooters should be unplayable as soon next season in a starting lineup really. We should be making enough roster improvements where its just not worth doing that. Even if were not a playin level team I would hope were at least functional on offense next year.

What you’re describing comes up in 2 scenarios-

1) Your non-shooter is a guy like Giannis who’s good enough to be built around in that manner.

2) You have guys on the team who can have a star level impact without the ball in their hands and from range (ala the Warriors) so you can roll out a non-shooter like Green (though even he at his lowest is still a much better shooter than Ausar).

We’re not in that situation, and Ausar isn’t that guy.

Return to Detroit Pistons