ImageImageImage

Duren watch. Just in case you missed it.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,832

Re: Duren watch. Just in case you missed it. 

Post#21 » by theBigLip » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:49 pm

I know one thing for sure - he’s a keeper. He’s only going to get better. Remember when we drafted him and there was talk that he would be spending time in the G-League? Sounds pretty funny now.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,129

Post#22 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:22 pm

Duren has insane upside for sure... he's already great at rebounding but the real test will be if he can mold him less into less of a Drummond and more of a Giannis lite. I'm all about him putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket and developing more perimeter skills like a PF rather than a traditional center.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#23 » by DetroitSho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:25 pm

bstein14 wrote:Duren has insane upside for sure... he's already great at rebounding but the real test will be if he can mold him less into less of a Drummond and more of a Giannis lite. I'm all about him putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket and developing more perimeter skills like a PF rather than a traditional center.
I'd say more Bam than Giannis. Giannis legit initiates the offense.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
bstein14
RealGM

Post#24 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:41 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Duren has insane upside for sure... he's already great at rebounding but the real test will be if he can mold him less into less of a Drummond and more of a Giannis lite. I'm all about him putting the ball on the floor and attacking the basket and developing more perimeter skills like a PF rather than a traditional center.

Either way, Duren doesn't become an impactful star in this league just by putting up 16 and 15. He gets there by adding perimeter skills. The ability to hit mid-range shots, the ability to dominate when turning and facing up from 15 ft and putting the ball on the floor and attacking the defender. If he just is a hustle/energy/inside 5 ft of the paint player he caps out at a few more PPG than he is scoring now. Adding perimeter skills can take him to another level.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#25 » by DetroitSho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:47 pm

bstein14 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Either way, Duren doesn't become an impactful star in this league just by putting up 16 and 15. He gets there by adding perimeter skills. The ability to hit mid-range shots, the ability to dominate when turning and facing up from 15 ft and putting the ball on the floor and attacking the defender. If he just is a hustle/energy/inside 5 ft of the paint player he caps out at a few more PPG than he is scoring now. Adding perimeter skills can take him to another level.
I agree and I feel good about him being able to do it.

Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,273

Post#26 » by Neptune » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:54 pm

Forget the rebounds, Duren has to continue to evolve his game. He needs to get a mid range then hopeful move that to a 3pter. Then we'll have something special!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,241

Post#27 » by BDM22 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:58 am

One of the most impressive things is that he looked really bad at the FT line early in his rookie season. I remember there being this thought that he'd be another one of those guys you can't play late in games. He got better during that 1st season, and now he's legitimately solid there for a center. He's shooting 82.3% from the line in the 23 games since he came back from injury.

That gives me some hope that he can legitimately open up his range a lot on offense. I know the idea of a guy like him shooting jumpers gives people a feeling of that stint Andre tried shooting 3's, but Jalen has a way better touch than him. Dre averaged 38% from the FT line for his first 5 seasons.

Can't imagine JD would be worse than Ausar shooting them :lol:
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,109

Post#28 » by tmorgan » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:29 am

Duren definitely has touch. Would like to see him shooting from outside the post from a couple sets. He can do it. And he can pass, too. My only real long term question is how good he can get defensively.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,282

Post#29 » by GreekAlex » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:43 am

tmorgan wrote:Duren definitely has touch. Would like to see him shooting from outside the post from a couple sets. He can do it. And he can pass, too. My only real long term question is how good he can get defensively.

It seems like he took a lot more mid post shots as a rookie.

I was hoping he’d get more comfortable with that this season.

His FT’s have looked great lately!
bstein14
RealGM

Post#30 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:02 am

GreekAlex wrote:
tmorgan wrote:Duren definitely has touch. Would like to see him shooting from outside the post from a couple sets. He can do it. And he can pass, too. My only real long term question is how good he can get defensively.

His rookie season he went 20-51 from between 5 - 9 feet. 39.2% (67 games)
This season he is already 25-52 from between 5-9 feet. 48.1% (37 games)
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,282

Post#31 » by GreekAlex » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:15 am

bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Nice! Maybe my mind has bias from enjoying his dunks and footwork in the paint.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#32 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:21 am

GreekAlex wrote:
bstein14 wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Nice! Maybe my mind has bias from enjoying his dunks and footwork in the paint.

For sure that is some decent growth just need to keep working on those shorties and maybe also extend some ability from 10-14 as well.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#33 » by vege » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:24 am

joedumars1 wrote:I love duren, but I loved dre 1-2 years longer than I should’ve. I’m just saying I hope he is no Dre. I haven’t watched many pistons games, so I can’t tell if he has any of Dre bad attributes, doesn’t seem like it tho, don’t see to many people bitching about him

Motor BBIQ and Ego are totally different between Duren and Drummond. They're good rebounders with good hands, that can put the ball on the floor and are good passers, so there are similarities but Drummond's red flags are some of Duren's strengths.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#34 » by Pandev » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:04 am

Duren should watch Anthony Davis and Bam footage. Thats what he needs to become.

Anything remotely close to those two guys would be fantastic for the Pistons. First Id like to see him develop a face-up jump from the elbows or around FT line. No need for 3's just focus on a mid range jumper
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,966

Post#35 » by MotownMadness » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:06 am

Drummond started off with a high TS% and FG% like Duren but then went dumb. I remember him struggling to be around a 50 TS% player.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#36 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:26 am

MotownMadness wrote:Drummond started off with a high TS% and FG% like Duren but then went dumb. I remember him struggling to be around a 50 TS% player.

Yes because he went from cleaning up the glass and mostly lobs and dunks to wanting to get the ball in the post with his back to the basket and he didn't have that game.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,968

Post#37 » by zeebneeb » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:32 am

bstein14 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Drummond started off with a high TS% and FG% like Duren but then went dumb. I remember him struggling to be around a 50 TS% player.

Yes because he went from cleaning up the glass and mostly lobs and dunks to wanting to get the ball in the post with his back to the basket and he didn't have that game.
Exactly. We have already seen that Duren is better around the rim, and has better hands. He also has an edge, Andre rarely showed.

Duren has a ton to work on still, but with his massive size, and strength to go with a better motor, I wouldn't bet against him.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#38 » by mattao313 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:47 am

bstein14 wrote:

His ft shoot really hurt his ts too

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,409

Post#39 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:29 am

Was good to see in the GB 2022 re-draft thread that Duren was getting some love and a lot of other teams' fans would take him top 5 in a re-draft.

I don't think it's too unfair to say that his development and progress will define how far our team goes. It is a guard/wing driven league but it's so important to have a big guy in the middle who can score at will, rebound at an elite level to gain a lot of extra possessions for his team and be a rim protector. Duren has a long way to go but has the potential to do at least two (but hopefully three) of those at a high level.
ValvPiti
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#40 » by ValvPiti » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:51 pm

Same rebounding, better offence and worse defense than Dwight? I wonder why he doesn't block more shots and in general is better at protecting the rim though. Im a big believer in Duren though, and I love that he can actually handle and pass a bit already. He should be able to tap into that more. Also, he can get a midrange game and improve as a FT shooter, and now youre looking at an extremely solid all-star player.

Anyways, if you're not taking Duren top-4 right now in a re-draft, I think you're trolling. And when Monty freaking Williams finally decided to let Ivey play basketball, its not looking too shabby either for him. Might be the 5th pick.

Return to Detroit Pistons