Re: Adios Joe Harris (Shams) 

Post#3 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:02 pm

Good riddance
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,282

Re: Adios Joe Harris 

Post#4 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:05 pm

bstein14 wrote:Killian Hayes lives to see another day.

Let’s remain hopeful. There’s still 2 hours to dump him and wiseman.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#5 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:19 pm

So for the people on the first day of free agency that tried to justify this acquisition, wtf are your thoughts now? Sin eat sin eat sin eat!!! Pfffft.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,966

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:20 pm

DetroitSho wrote:So for the people on the first day of free agency that tried to justify this acquisition, wtf are your thoughts now? Sin eat sin eat sin eat!!! Pfffft.

I defended it and oh man i didn't know he was that cooked
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#7 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:22 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:So for the people on the first day of free agency that tried to justify this acquisition, wtf are your thoughts now? Sin eat sin eat sin eat!!! Pfffft.

The acquisition itself was a 2. The TIMING was a NEGATIVE 10. Especially if it never was apart of some later deal down the line.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,966

Post#8 » by MotownMadness » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:23 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

The acquisition itself was a 2. The TIMING was a NEGATIVE 10. Especially if it never was apart of some later deal down the line.

Not sure what i was thinking but i also didn't expect FA to be this bad punting the cap. Thought he would at least be a 10 ppg sniper or something as well.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,832

Post#9 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:31 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I defended it and oh man i didn't know he was that cooked

Not sure what i was thinking but i also didn't expect FA to be this bad punting the cap. Thought he would at least be a 10 ppg sniper or something as well.

He certainly had a track record of being a good shooter. Eventually all players ho downhill. We got lucky w Bojan. Not so much w Harris.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#10 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:33 pm

That Joe Harris transaction and all the angles involved with it, was an all timer of terribleness.

Weaver essentially bought two 2nd rounders for $20 million dollars of actual money. Then add onto it that it burned a HUGE amount of cap space, so it dramatically distressed an asset. The add on top of it Troy did Brooklyn a MASSIVE favor for essentially no real reason. Then consider all of this was done BEFORE free agency even started.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#11 » by DetroitSho » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:33 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:I defended it and oh man i didn't know he was that cooked

I've never been on the punt the capspace plan. It's been an utter disaster and I feel like it wastes years of your players' development just bringing in bodies for their contract and compensation, why they do nothing for you on the court. And that's IF you do it right and get decent compensation. We wasn't even getting good comp so it has helped us not one single bit.

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,130

Post#12 » by bstein14 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:33 pm

Paid $20 million for two 2nd rounders... I know it helped us get to the cap floor, but we almost certainly could have signed 2 or 3 bargain/value FAs that had a non guaranteed 2nd year so they essentially would have also been expiring deals.
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,046

Post#13 » by JLiv » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:47 pm

The end of an era
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=lMT_bP4uaBNDwTT1JAcHzg
jaredtyshaf
Junior
And1: 33

Re: Adios Joe Harris 

Post#14 » by jaredtyshaf » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:50 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Killian Hayes lives to see another day.

Let’s remain hopeful. There’s still 2 hours to dump him and wiseman.

Peace out Killian!

Wiseman is such an oddity... He has the type of natural talent that he could still get it together. I am glad we kept him.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:06 pm

bstein14 wrote:Paid $20 million for two 2nd rounders... I know it helped us get to the cap floor, but we almost certainly could have signed 2 or 3 bargain/value FAs that had a non guaranteed 2nd year so they essentially would have also been expiring deals.

Secondary to your over all point which I agree with, but I'm not sure why the cap floor seems to carry as much concern as it does.

Unless there is a change in the new CBA that I'm not currently aware of, the only penalty for not reaching the floor is you have to give players on your team pro-rated bonuses equivalent to the deviation from the floor. Which isn't exactly a scary punishment.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,282

Post#16 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

thesack12 wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Paid $20 million for two 2nd rounders... I know it helped us get to the cap floor, but we almost certainly could have signed 2 or 3 bargain/value FAs that had a non guaranteed 2nd year so they essentially would have also been expiring deals.

Eh, I'm not sure why the cap floor carries as much concern as it does.

Unless there is a change in the new CBA that I'm not currently aware of, the only penalty for not reaching the floor is you have to give players on your team pro-rated bonuses equivalent to the floor deviation. Which isn't exactly a scary punishment.

It’s horrible for flexibility. You don’t have salary ballasts to make trades with.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#17 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:08 pm

thesack12 wrote:

Secondary to your over all point which I agree with, but I'm not sure why the cap floor seems to carry as much concern as it does.

Unless there is a change in the new CBA that I'm not currently aware of, the only penalty for not reaching the floor is you have to give players on your team pro-rated bonuses equivalent to the floor deviation. Which isn't exactly a scary punishment.

That's how it work. And we could've signed Knox for a 5 or 10m deal 1 year non guaranteed for example or just give money to a scrub out of the street to reach the floor.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#18 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:08 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

It’s horrible for flexibility. You don’t have salary ballasts to make trades with.

Why can't you just use the cap space? It doesn't disappear
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#19 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:08 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

YOU HAVE RAW CAP SPACE which is 10x more valuable.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,713

Post#20 » by Invictus88 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:10 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Literally the only thing this acquisition did was neuter our ability to go after Cam Johnson and enabled the Nets to do the same. Complete head-scratcher.

Return to Detroit Pistons