2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,376

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#621 » by BDM22 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:12 pm

NYPiston wrote:
How can there be a board at all when we don't know who will be making the decisions next month? Does this mean that nothing will change and the current regime will be the future regime?

I feel like it's pretty clear that Weaver is going to be largely handling the draft. The combine is happening now. Isn't the FO meeting with players for individual workouts soon? If someone gets hired before the draft I assume they'll just be working with the current group's scouts to make the pick as a group.

Maybe we'll see something happen if Minny gets booted from the playoffs and the Tim Connelly talks start more officially.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Post#622 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 16, 2024 7:15 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:I can see adding a forward or big man where the shooting is a gamble, but I can't see adding someone in the backcourt without being *fully* confident in them as a shooter. Suppose you could say the same for Sheppard, but not sure how you could draft Castle if you're keeping Ivey on the roster. Same for Clingan and Duren. Sarr at least has enough theoretical shooting that he and Duren could be worth trying if you squint hard enough.

Given our roster makeup, kind of shocking Knecht is the only real "wing" on that list.
Stephen castle was a putrid shooter, on low attempts. If he is at the top of the Pistons board, all hope is lost. 26% on 2 attempts is NOT someone you put next to Cade.

1.Sheppard
2.Knecht

Anything else is just insanity at this point.

Cmon Conelly. Fix this idiocy.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,299

Post#623 » by NYPiston » Thu May 16, 2024 8:01 pm

BDM22 wrote:

I feel like it's pretty clear that Weaver is going to be largely handling the draft. The combine is happening now. Isn't the FO meeting with players for individual workouts soon? If someone gets hired before the draft I assume they'll just be working with the current group's scouts to make the pick as a group.

Maybe we'll see something happen if Minny gets booted from the playoffs and the Tim Connelly talks start more officially.

Well, that has to be pretty awkward if indeed Weaver is fired by the new president. Now - "Troy, can you handle the combine and let us know what you think of these prospects" then before the draft - "We have to let you go Troy, we want to move in another direction".
If he is out there scouting these players and creating a big board, that leads me to believe that he's keeping his job.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#624 » by BDM22 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:03 pm

NYPiston wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Well, that has to be pretty awkward if indeed Weaver is fired by the new president. Now - "Troy, can you handle the combine and let us know what you think of these prospects" then before the draft - "We have to let you go Troy, we want to move in another direction".
If he is out there scouting these players and creating a big board, that leads me to believe that he's keeping his job.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. Especially if we don't get someone like Connelly. Maybe they promote Casey to POBO (ughh) and just give him veto power over Weaver as it was originally described. Based on what we heard about the coach hiring process, it sounds like other guys have had veto power over Weaver anyways, so basically nothing changes.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,095

Post#625 » by Snakebites » Thu May 16, 2024 8:14 pm

NYPiston wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

The Blazers did the same (only more) with Kevin Pritchard one year. I remember it was already decided he would be fired, and he ran the draft right before officially leaving the position.

Weaver's gotta be a pro. If he isn't it may affect future job opportunities.

There absolutely will be an awkward transition no matter what happens with Troy- there will be a new man in charge. It can go well or it can go horribly. Hopefully this situation is resolved sooner than later.

There's no guarantee that Connelly decides to opt out immediately after the Wolves season is over either. This could drag on- I actually don't think it' a good idea for us to wait.
dbuch238
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#626 » by dbuch238 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 am

I like Tyler Smith, from the G league Ignite. He's a 19 year old 6'11" PF, a very good athlete, and shoots 3s well (and from the NBA 3pt line. With his athleticism, he can defend both forward positions, and is played at C at times.

It doesn't make sense to take him at 5, but if they can trade back to the 12-15 range, they'd have someone who is going to be a good player for a long time.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,302

Post#627 » by GreekAlex » Fri May 17, 2024 2:39 am

dbuch238 wrote:I like Tyler Smith, from the G league Ignite. He's a 19 year old 6'11" PF, a very good athlete, and shoots 3s well (and from the NBA 3pt line. With his athleticism, he can defend both forward positions, and is played at C at times.

It doesn't make sense to take him at 5, but if they can trade back to the 12-15 range, they'd have someone who is going to be a good player for a long time.

What are the biggest knocks on his game?
dbuch238
Ballboy

Post#628 » by dbuch238 » Fri May 17, 2024 2:52 am

Needs to get stronger, avoids contact , and not a good defender, but I think you could say the same about most 19 year olds. He usually doesn't dribble more than one or two times, but he has a decent handle for someone 6'10 or 11.
dbuch238
Ballboy

Post#629 » by dbuch238 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:42 am

Tyler was ranked 8th in the 2023 high school class. His last year of high school was with Overtime Elite. May have played with the Thompson brothers. With Ignite, he was a teammate of Matas Buzelis..
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,064

Post#630 » by vic » Fri May 17, 2024 9:43 am

guldakot wrote:So apparently the combine has switched up our priorities per JE3 and this is our new big board.

Castle

Sarr

Clingan

Knecht

Sheppherd

Curious why Castle shot up the board like this.

Same old Troy

A "workout" shooter that can't shoot in games
Another PF that can't shoot clogging the paint for Cade & Ivey
Another center for the logjam
Another shooter that can't defend to leak points

The guy your team actually needs is last priority because his arms aren't long enough

Sounds like Troy. I hope its really JLE3's board. I would have thought Troy learned his lessons last year.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#631 » by LaSheed » Fri May 17, 2024 10:20 am

vic wrote:
guldakot wrote:So apparently the combine has switched up our priorities per JE3 and this is our new big board.

Castle

Sarr

Clingan

Knecht

Sheppherd

Same old Troy

The guy your team actually needs is last priority because his arms aren't long enough

Sounds like Troy. I hope its really JLE3's board. I would have thought Troy learned his lessons last year.

Give me Clingan, Sheppard, Knecht
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#632 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 17, 2024 12:31 pm

Don't let Weaver draft
BDM22
RealGM

Post#633 » by BDM22 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:40 pm

vic wrote:

Castle

Sarr

Clingan

Knecht

Sheppherd

Same old Troy

It's JEIII's big board. He states it clearly in the article. No reason for Detroit to be putting out that kind of info, especially in a draft like this with it totally unclear who is going to go where.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#634 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 17, 2024 12:58 pm

Yeah i doubt thats the Pistons big board
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#635 » by LaSheed » Fri May 17, 2024 11:29 pm

Sarr said he's been in contact with Ausar asking questions about the combine and we are a great defensive team and he can see himself fitting right in.

That statement alone takes him off my board. Bball IQ is zero
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,091

Post#636 » by joedumars1 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:17 am

LaSheed wrote:Sarr said he's been in contact with Ausar asking questions about the combine and we are a great defensive team and he can see himself fitting right in.

Why? I’m a little slow at times, so forgive me. Are you saying cause our defense sucks?
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#637 » by LaSheed » Sun May 19, 2024 5:05 am

joedumars1 wrote:
LaSheed wrote:Sarr said he's been in contact with Ausar asking questions about the combine and we are a great defensive team and he can see himself fitting right in.

Why? I’m a little slow at times, so forgive me. Are you saying cause our defense sucks?

I see what you did there
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,897

Post#638 » by theBigLip » Tue May 21, 2024 5:44 pm

Knecht seems like the prospect that could help us the quickest.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 336

Post#639 » by Drwho17 » Tue May 21, 2024 6:35 pm

theBigLip wrote:Knecht seems like the prospect that could help us the quickest.

When was the last time a 5 year (or even 4 year) player turned out to be anything. The play here at 5 is Shepperd/Holland/Castle or someone with more upside, I don't think you can pick someone who projects to be a rotation player at 5, need someone who projects as a + player in the future.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,897

Post#640 » by theBigLip » Tue May 21, 2024 6:51 pm

Drwho17 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Knecht seems like the prospect that could help us the quickest.

When was the last time a 5 year (or even 4 year) player turned out to be anything. The play here at 5 is Shepperd/Holland/Castle or someone with more upside, I don't think you can pick someone who projects to be a rotation player at 5, need someone who projects as a + player in the future.

Just last year….
Jaime Jacquez
Trayce Jackson-Davis

I also didn’t say Knext is who we SHOULD pick, just that he has a high floor and could help our shooting right away

Return to Detroit Pistons