ImageImageImage

Game 38: Pistons vs Spurs 7PM EST

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,324

Re: Game 38: Pistons vs Spurs 7PM EST 

Post#61 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:07 pm

I didn't realize this game happened (googled 'next pistons game' and It returned Friday's Rockets game). Looks like google was right, the Pistons didn't show up to this one.

I checked box scores and saw several Pistons had nice offensive games, but then I noticed they gave up 130 :o
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#62 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:08 pm

This is the most pathetic excuse of a basketball team
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,963

Post#63 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:17 pm

vege wrote:Why are you guys still watching this ****. Seriously.

I'm watching this for the same reason I've watched the Washington Generals.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst

Post#64 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:22 pm

It's tough for even die-hard Pistons fans to spend time watching these games. It's just not good basketball..
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,524

Post#65 » by Canadafan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I didn't realize this game happened (googled 'next pistons game' and It returned Friday's Rockets game). Looks like google was right, the Pistons didn't show up to this one.

I checked box scores and saw several Pistons had nice offensive games, but then I noticed they gave up 130 :o

As a general manager of the Detroit Pistons, you would think that one would want to continue the long standing culture of said team lmao. And one would draft, trade and sign guys that played tough and hard and defend. Instead we get guys that not only don't do any of that but they also can't shoot a basketball!. Which happens to be a pretty important skill of said game :lol:
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#66 » by vege » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:47 pm

joedumars1 wrote:

I’ve been box score watching. Only watched first two games. Maybe 20 minutes total of the others, lol. I did tell my friend after first 3 games pistons have some nice young players cade, duren, and ausar and could be pretty good. Lmfao, oops. Now idk wtf. Cade and duren are good pieces. Ivey seems to be ok. Ausar seems he doesn’t get much pt anymore, not sure why. Can it get worse?

It always can, especially people who got us in this situation are the people trying to make moves to save their job.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 498

Post#67 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:11 pm

No need to worry. As Troy said, it's a RE-TOOL (not a re-build) and Monty took responsibility for not getting the guys ready!
WoyTreaver
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#68 » by WoyTreaver » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:16 pm

On the plus side, I’ve really enjoyed watching Bogey these past few games. He reminds me of those men’s league legends where you think “Wow, this guy must have been awesome in high school!” And on defense….. he’s trying. He’s incapable, but he’s trying.

With all that said, I hope the Pistons get him out of here ASAP for picks. He can really help a contender. But I’m starting to think that Troy’s ego won’t allow that to happen.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,190

Post#69 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:23 pm

WoyTreaver wrote:On the plus side, I’ve really enjoyed watching Bogey these past few games. He reminds me of those men’s league legends where you think “Wow, this guy must have been awesome in high school!” And on defense….. he’s trying. He’s incapable, but he’s trying.

With all that said, I hope the Pistons get him out of here ASAP for picks. He can really help a contender. But I’m starting to think that Troy’s ego won’t allow that to happen.

Wiggins + Moses Moody for Bojan + Bagley

Who says no? Wiggins has fallen off big time this season. and is still owed $80 million over the next three years.... but every Pistons fan would have taken this deal before the season started but I'm not sure where we'd be at with it now. Moody was high school teammates with Scottie Barnes and Cade Cunningham at Montverde Academy.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,299

Post#70 » by NYPiston » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:26 pm

bstein14 wrote:At some point soon, this season should be about developing Cade/Duren/Ausar/Sasser/Stew... those five are all under contract next year. If we're the losingest team of all time who cares at this point keep building these guys up for the future put them in positions to learn out there.

That's BS. It's more important to develop Bogey, Burks, Killian and Livers. That's the future of the Pistons, a Dystopian future but a future nonetheless.

BTW, I give you guys who are watching these games a ton of credit. That is dedication to the levels of which will never be matched by a sports fanbase again. Kudos to you guys, and I mean that sincerely.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#71 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:32 pm

NYPiston wrote:
bstein14 wrote:At some point soon, this season should be about developing Cade/Duren/Ausar/Sasser/Stew... those five are all under contract next year. If we're the losingest team of all time who cares at this point keep building these guys up for the future put them in positions to learn out there.

That's BS. It's more important to develop Bogey, Burks, Killian and Livers. That's the future of the Pistons, a Dystopian future but a future nonetheless.

BTW, I give you guys who are watching these games a ton of credit. That is dedication to the levels of which will never be matched by a sports fanbase again. Kudos to you guys, and I mean that sincerely.

I had to take a break for a bit (for the first time really in my life) from watching Pistons during the losing streak but did come back to watch a few games towards the end where I thought we were playing better. If we continue to see more of the same I may sadly have to check out again... especially if no trades are made in the next few weeks.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,299

Post#72 » by NYPiston » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:35 pm

Neptune wrote:I'm not going to lie, if Ivey doesn't get it together he's going to be a 6th man in the league. Monty might have been right. Ivey still has time to get it together though.

Don't get it twisted, Monty wrecked his confidence. This was a young guy who was brimming with confidence to end last season then he gets relegated to the bench immediately in favor of Killian Hayes who had to be the worst starter in the league. Ivey is a guy who thrives on confidence/opportunity and he got none of that to start the season so what we get is this shell of a player now in an absolutely toxic environment.

Don't get me wrong, Ivey has his flaws but this coach had no interest in working with this young man from the very beginning, seeing the same with Ausar now as well except in reverse order when he got the opportunity to thrive earlier in the season and actually did pretty well with it then got relegated to end of the bench minutes after one rough patch to get Livers more playing time? and here we are with another player with wrecked confidence.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record but this coach is the worst thing to happen to this franchise outside of the great Bill Davidson passing and Tom Gores buying his team. I don't know what he's doing out there but it's not coaching and it's certainly not developing. We should all apologize to Dwayne Casey who while a flawed X's and O's coached had these guys playing hard and had young players that were showing improvements.
WoyTreaver
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#73 » by WoyTreaver » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:56 pm

NYPiston wrote:

I feel like I’m watching history. The porous defense, terrible shooting, coupled with Blaha’s and Kelser’s endless positivity makes it Must See TV for me!

And the drama surrounding the trade deadline….. will Troy do the right thing and be a seller, pretty much guaranteeing the worst record in NBA history? Or will his ego get in the way, and we trade all our assets to get to ten wins? It’s an enigma wrapped in a conundrum!
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst

Post#74 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:43 pm

I might just have to box score watch until some trades are made. We all know what this current team is about. No surprises at this point. No promising rookie to watch either with our lotto pick mostly glued to the bench.
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 157

Post#75 » by smann7 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:11 pm

Life long Lions fan, I’m used to it.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 pm

I can watch the Pistons, but any other sport bores the hell out of me.. I can't even watch other NBA games. Constant 3's. It's horrible basketball. Tie score, 8 seconds left, only need one point, but Tatum (or anyone else) will brick a 3 and lose in OT... Killian (and 90% of the league) pass up easy layups to kick it out for a bricked 3. Every team plays the same. No defensive schemes. It's a mess. I empathize with the guy who screams defensive coverage. Especially when guys think they can jog and beat teams who do NOT want to lose to the Pistons.

I'm thinking cap space is almost worthless in free agency... Joe Harris was the best we could do. Gores/Weaver can't make Detroit attractive. When we were winning titles, we still couldn't get guys to play for the minimum (ala Malone, Payton). Some states have no income tax. Better weather, etc...
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,113

Post#77 » by Snakebites » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:01 pm

This is one I sorta followed without actually watching. And even that was too much.

This team bums me out. They don’t look like they’ll win another game this season.

We’re entering “players traded to us will threaten to retire” territory.

I hope coaches are noting that replacing Cade with Killian didn’t improve our defense. Kid isn’t worth playing!
bstein14
RealGM

Post#78 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:21 pm

Snakebites wrote:This is one I sorta followed without actually watching. And even that was too much.

This team bums me out. They don’t look like they’ll win another game this season.

I hope coaches are noting that replacing Cade with Killian didn’t improve our defense. Kid isn’t worth playing!

Honestly no vets are going to want to be traded here unless they are FAs coming up and want to "earn" their next contract with more playing time and shots in Detroit. Maybe you could get someone like Schroeder excited to come here if he can start. Or someone like Evan Fournier who is out of a rotation wanting playing time to earn the next deal, etc.

Younger guys on rookie deals I can see wanting a chance as well if they aren't getting enough with their current team but overall you're not going to get anyone really excited to come here at the moment.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by MortSahlfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:33 pm

^ I'm guessing there's communication between teams and players, with many saying "I don't want to be in Detroit" and "I won't re-sign" so why bother trading and losing assets. All it takes is a single tweet, and the trade demand game begins.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,301

Post#80 » by MrBigShot » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Snakebites wrote:This is one I sorta followed without actually watching. And even that was too much.

I can't think of very many guys in NBA history that have received as many undeserved minutes as kilian hayes. He has gone from atrocious non-nba caliber player to possible 13th-15th man on the bench at best, and gotten consistent mins the entire time.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James

Return to Detroit Pistons