ImageImageImage

Free Agency

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,189

Re: Free Agency 

Post#301 » by bstein14 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Brown's contract is only 1 year (and it's a team option). If Raptors wanted to trade him for basically nothing, they could just decline the option. I don't think finances are a good reason to go for him or not, though, if it's that short of a contract. If you re-sign him longterm, it'd be for less per year.

If they declined his option at $22.5 I'd have interest in him at something around 3 years $50 million. I don't think many teams would have an offer above MLE $ for him.

$16.0 mil @ Age 28
$16.8 mil @ Age 29
$17.6 mil @ Age 30 (Team Option or partially guaranteed)

He's a solid rotation piece who can defend, good screen setter, and knows how to play but the reality is we really desperately need some guys who can also create on their own a bit and put the ball in the basket as well.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,405

Post#302 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:45 pm

He's at least gone on streaks of being able to hit the corner three pretty well as well, which is better than a lot of our players can say.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,344

Post#303 » by vege » Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Sign Bridges from Charlotte so I can finally completely check out on this team.

We have deliberately tanked the entire time Weaver has been GM and it's failed for obvious reasons:

If you create a losing environment deliberately then you will produce losers.

And that is precisely what we have done here.

There's no need for essays and overly complicated analysis. Life is simple.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

I've been saying that since before we start tanking, years ago, and got attacked by a lot of people here.

Way too late for you to understand that, but good on you that at least at this point you understand it, there are people around here who still don't get it.

Tanking is bad, because you develop a lot of losers and bad habits, which is exactly what we have right now. It's even worse if you have someone who's clueless and incompetent leading the tanking, and They're only worried about their pay checks and to help their families and friends, and that's exactly what Weaver and Tellem have been doing for years.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#304 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sat May 18, 2024 3:30 am

Pharaoh wrote:Sign Bridges from Charlotte so I can finally completely check out on this team.

We have deliberately tanked the entire time Weaver has been GM and it's failed for obvious reasons:

lol - one of the biggest Troy Weaver slappies ever on this board has finally mailed it in
bstein14
RealGM

Post#305 » by bstein14 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:55 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

lol - one of the biggest Troy Weaver slappies ever on this board has finally mailed it in

Yeah it seems TEAM TROY is looking pretty sparse at this point. I first started to doubt him when he gave Bagley that contract. A fringe rotation player making that money just because he still had some upside was dumb. What really pushed me away from supporting him was when he picked up Killian's $7.4 million fourth year option without even having him play in the summer league that year to see if he actually looked like he deserved sinking that money into. Then the final straw was using $20+ million of our cap space for Joe Harris.

The Bojan trade was fine, the Morris trade made sense even tho it didn't work out. Trading Plumlee to sign Olynyk make a little sense as well since it gave us better spacing. Anyone can miss on a pick so drafting Killian over Haliburton wasn't worthy of giving up on him but when you combine that with everything else Weaver just kept piling on reasons to doubt him each year after year.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,113

Post#306 » by Snakebites » Sat May 18, 2024 4:08 pm

Troy’s trades haven’t been great. He has made mistakes without doubt.

But they’d be forgiven if not forgotten if his drafting wasn’t this way. The poor roster construction mostly stems from that.
crashnburn26
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#307 » by crashnburn26 » Sat May 18, 2024 8:06 pm

Does anyone else not see the appeal of getting bruce brown? This team needs wings that can shoot and i think his player type is literally the opposite of that. He seems like an Ausar thats smaller but twice the shooter (still not great). The main thing I want from this franchise is spacing this offseason - we think Cade is that guy? We have to maximize his potential any way we can
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 498

Post#308 » by MortSahlfan » Sat May 18, 2024 10:40 pm

crashnburn26 wrote:Does anyone else not see the appeal of getting bruce brown? This team needs wings that can shoot and i think his player type is literally the opposite of that. He seems like an Ausar thats smaller but twice the shooter (still not great). The main thing I want from this franchise is spacing this offseason - we think Cade is that guy? We have to maximize his potential any way we can

Definitely would want him. And now he has championship experience, along with some toughness this team needs.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,570

Post#309 » by Pharaoh » Sun May 19, 2024 12:19 am

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

I preached patience for 2+ years as I do with every single player since there's no point judging anything in the moment.

Enough time has passed to make a fair and honest assessment.

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,524

Post#310 » by Canadafan » Sun May 19, 2024 6:37 pm

Due to my obsessive nature, I can't help but think about Brogdon and Grant to help us. Would they not be perfect? If we could sign Tyus and Obi or Tobias, who would u prefer?
Portland needs help with their luxury tax issue. Probably wouldn't want to just dump them for pure cap space.
Just seems every summer lately that we can't talk anyone into signing with us.
These 2 are locked up long term. Good vets to surround our young guys.
Doubtful Tyus would sign with us. Tobias would but I'd much rather prefer Grant.
Trade them a bunch of 2nds :wink:
Even if we took them both on we would still have MLE or more money I believe to get another guy.
We'd be 10deep;
Duren Stew
Grant Fontecchio
Ausur MLE
Ivey Grimes
Cade Brogdan

Sasser Wiseman #5pick towel wavers
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,239

Post#311 » by Laimbeer » Sun May 19, 2024 9:56 pm

Not that he'd sign here, but watching Siankim today he seems like a sloppy ball handler with awful handles. Every procession is an adventure.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,239

Post#312 » by Laimbeer » Sun May 19, 2024 9:59 pm

MortSahlfan wrote:
crashnburn26 wrote:Does anyone else not see the appeal of getting bruce brown? This team needs wings that can shoot and i think his player type is literally the opposite of that. He seems like an Ausar thats smaller but twice the shooter (still not great). The main thing I want from this franchise is spacing this offseason - we think Cade is that guy? We have to maximize his potential any way we can

Definitely would want him. And now he has championship experience, along with some toughness this team needs.

We do not need a career .337 three point shooter.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#313 » by A_dub06 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:59 am

With this draft labelled as being so bad, why are the chances of us trading Duren and Ivey to Washington for zpoole’s trash contract and the #2. Would that be fair value? They get two young players and shed a really bad contract
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#314 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 20, 2024 11:26 am

A_dub06 wrote:With this draft labelled as being so bad, why are the chances of us trading Duren and Ivey to Washington for zpoole’s trash contract and the #2. Would that be fair value? They get two young players and shed a really bad contract

Its not that bad where we're picking but its rough at the top
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#315 » by A_dub06 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:32 am

MotownMadness wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:With this draft labelled as being so bad, why are the chances of us trading Duren and Ivey to Washington for zpoole’s trash contract and the #2. Would that be fair value? They get two young players and shed a really bad contract

To be honest the only way I’d do the trade would be if Sarr was available which he most likely won’t be. But for the sake of discussion is the trade too balanced in our favour?
bstein14
RealGM

Post#316 » by bstein14 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:57 am

Laimbeer wrote:Not that he'd sign here, but watching Siankim today he seems like a sloppy ball handler with awful handles. Every procession is an adventure.

Yeah he is a bit loose with is for sure its like somewhere between Ausar Thompson and 2020 Pistons Jerami Grant. I think Grant has gotten a lot better now.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,972

Post#317 » by MotownMadness » Mon May 20, 2024 11:59 am

A_dub06 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

To be honest the only way I’d do the trade would be if Sarr was available which he most likely won’t be. But for the sake of discussion is the trade too balanced in our favour?

I dont think so, Taking on that Poole contract would suck though.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,023

Post#318 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 20, 2024 12:08 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Yes. Even in a bad draft, the top three picks have the most value. That contract is really poor, but Poole would look a HELL of a lot better next to Cade, then he does in Washington.

I have very little issue tossing in whoever the Wiz want to balance it out, save for Cade/Tek/Ausar.

Duren/Ivey/Stewart for #2, and Poole.

Cade/Sasser
Poole/Grimes
Ausar
Sarr/Tek
Clingan/Wiseman (yuk)or free agent

The defense would be sick, but you hope Sarr shoots like JJJ in this scenario.

Just spitballing here.
SuperBad
Junior
And1: 105

Post#319 » by SuperBad » Mon May 20, 2024 1:03 pm

Poole is a sixth man, even played better in Washington as one, I would take on Poole but not for anything more than Ivey
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#320 » by BDM22 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:50 pm

SuperBad wrote:Poole is a sixth man, even played better in Washington as one, I would take on Poole but not for anything more than Ivey

Are you saying you'd trade Ivey for Poole? :-?

Jordan Poole is the most toxic contract in the entire NBA. He's like if you took away Ivey's growth potential, made him somehow an even worse defender and shooter, gave him worse shot selection, and you paid him a near-max deal lol.

No idea why people think he would look better on this team. We're the only team that was more of a disaster than Washington lol. He's a guy that does a lot of one-on-one stuff, just heaving up shots. Up there with Trae for worst defender in the league. Worse 3pt shooter than Ivey last year. Absolutely a terrible fit with Cade in essentially every way. Grimes (if healthy) and Ivey are both better fits and better players (which isn't saying much).

I'd need multiple 1sts just to absorb his money (which obviously makes no sense for WAS). Definitely not giving anything of value.

Dude is a stain on Washington's salary cap for the next 3 years.

Return to Detroit Pistons