ImageImageImage

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves)

Yes, he's going to make a major change to the power structure of our organization in the summer of 2024.
73%
No, he's going to let it ride with Weaver/Tellum tandem and just keep "restoring" per usual.
27%

Total votes: 26

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,062

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#141 » by Snakebites » Mon May 13, 2024 4:09 pm

bstein14 wrote:He's only been in Minny for two years so he didn't draft Ant and he wasn't the person who first brought in undrafted Naz Reid. His first big move was going all-in for Gobert and he was generally roasted for that move until this season.

Not sure he is the right guy for where we are or not but he did do a great job in Denver so it seems reasonable that he would be able to turn things around for us better than Weaver.

“We get all this unfair credit for drafting him. We had two picks prior! We could have picked him earlier. We waited ’til 41. It was just kind of lucky scouting, to be honest with you.”

Nuggets President of Basketball Operations Tim Connely, The Athletic

He also brought in Conley Jr and NAW.

You can poke holes in any GM’s resume. My only concern with him would be the same concern I had overpaying Monty.

Different though I suppose. By all accounts Connelly wants a job next year- with Monty we were competing with him taking a year off.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 184

Re: Will Gores really hire a new Head of Basketball Operations? (final say on all moves) 

Post#142 » by Rip32 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:Connelly seems like a pipe dream but if Gores is willing to do negotiations like he did with Monty where he just keeps raising the dollar figure then it's a possibility.

The other names seem a bit underwhelming, especially the Chicago GM given their direction over the past few years.

Yep overpay for another guy who will use this opportunity to get paid. He has no desire to be here w/o being paid.

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#143 » by Snakebites » Mon May 13, 2024 4:45 pm

Rip32 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:Connelly seems like a pipe dream but if Gores is willing to do negotiations like he did with Monty where he just keeps raising the dollar figure then it's a possibility.

The other names seem a bit underwhelming, especially the Chicago GM given their direction over the past few years.

Yep overpay for another guy who will use this opportunity to get paid. He has no desire to be here w/o being paid.

Not to mention depending on how long the Wolves are still playing it could be a while before someone is in place- Connelly or not.

2 more games minimum. Likely more, possibly a whole other series or more.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,835

Post#144 » by WuTang_OG » Mon May 13, 2024 5:58 pm

I feel for you guys. Hopefully you can find the right leader and get out of the bottom. At least DET Lions are on the right path and a real team
Sort
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#145 » by Sort » Mon May 13, 2024 7:20 pm

Whoever Gores chooses will have one decisive advantage: having basic competency will go a long way compared to Weaver.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#146 » by flow » Mon May 13, 2024 7:51 pm

Sort wrote:Whoever Gores chooses will have one decisive advantage: having basic competency will go a long way compared to Weaver.

Who's to say the next choice will be any more competent? Weaver was the next big thing when we hired him. That's what everyone told me when I questioned his early stuff. He apprenticed under one of the best - Sam Presti. He had his pick of jobs. He has a plan, give him time.... On and on it went.

F that. I am giving ZERO benefit of ANY doubt to anyone unless they come in with a successful track record as a GM. Not as an assistant GM, not as a GM in waiting, not as a wonderkind.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,764

Post#147 » by Cowology » Mon May 13, 2024 7:56 pm

I just think it would be kinda funny if we hired Eversley to be Weaver's "boss", after Weaver was selected over him in 2020. We're probably saddled with Monty's contract regardless, but Eversley would be the 1 guy who 100% would be kicking Weaver to the curb... right??
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,008

Post#148 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 13, 2024 8:02 pm

The Conelly news is big. Gores was willing to go deep for Monty, let's see how deep he goes for Conelly.

I can't think of a better person for the job. His resume over the past two teams is steller, based on results.

Get it done Gores.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,287

Post#149 » by BDM22 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:07 pm

zeebneeb wrote:The Conelly news is big. Gores was willing to go deep for Monty, let's see how deep he goes for Conelly.

I can't think of a better person for the job. His resume over the past two teams is steller, based on results.

Get it done Gores.

What could go wrong!!! :lol:
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#150 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 13, 2024 8:10 pm

BDM22 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:The Conelly news is big. Gores was willing to go deep for Monty, let's see how deep he goes for Conelly.

Get it done Gores.

Hey, I'm just using some folks logic around here pertaining to the draft, and applying it to the front office.

Can't get a good pick? Keep trading and tanking.

Can't get a good POBO/GM/COACH? KEEP THROWING MONEY AT IT.

We'll see if two wrongs make a right, or a big, gargantuan, messy, wrong.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 234

Post#151 » by Sheeeeed » Mon May 13, 2024 8:10 pm

If Gores gets Connelly, and leaves him to do whatever he wants, I don't see an issue.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#152 » by zeebneeb » Mon May 13, 2024 8:12 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:If Gores gets Connelly, and leaves him to do whatever he wants, I don't see an issue.
I don't see how it can get worse. Last place, to laster place?
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,287

Post#153 » by BDM22 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Get it done Gores.

Hey, I'm just using some folks logic around here pertaining to the draft, and applying it to the front office.

Can't get a good pick? Keep trading and tanking.

Can't get a good POBO/GM/COACH? KEEP THROWING MONEY AT IT.

We'll see if two wrongs make a right, or a big, gargantuan, messy, wrong.

Yeah, FWIW, I think Connelly is by far the safest bet. Just thought the Monty comparison was funny considering how terrible he was and now we're stuck :lol:
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#154 » by Sheeeeed » Mon May 13, 2024 8:21 pm

Just remember it illitch awhile to get it right with the Tigers.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,118

Post#155 » by Kilo » Mon May 13, 2024 8:44 pm

Connolly will only leave Wolves with deal in hand. Other than that and he is using Pistons as leverage. Only a sucker accepts Gores first offer. Monty is paid a lot for a coach, but isn't for a player, he's a bad mle signing and that player signing would never be allowed to kill a franchise for 7 years. Eat the contract and move on.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#156 » by Sheeeeed » Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

T-Wolves has ownership issues. Connelly came in because of the A-Rod group coming in, and that's fallen apart.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#157 » by Snakebites » Mon May 13, 2024 8:51 pm

Kilo wrote:Connolly will only leave Wolves with deal in hand. Other than that and he is using Pistons as leverage. Only a sucker accepts Gores first offer. Monty is paid a lot for a coach, but isn't for a player, he's a bad mle signing and that player signing would never be allowed to kill a franchise for 7 years. Eat the contract and move on.

Yeah. It’s clear his preference is to remain.

I’d rather roll the dice on a smaller name and get this show moving forward.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 757

Post#158 » by A_dub06 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 am

Hoping we can pry Connely or Trajan Langdon
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#159 » by flow » Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 pm

While reports have made clear that Weaver will be demoted or ultimately fired, the first real-life indication of this seems to have taken place. Weaver always talks to the media after the draft lottery. Either the same day or next day. Didn't happen this year. (unless I missed it).

Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#160 » by Mr Peanut » Tue May 14, 2024 12:50 pm

flow wrote:While reports have made clear that Weaver will be demoted or ultimately fired, the first real-life indication of this seems to have taken place. Weaver always talks to the media after the draft lottery. Either the same day or next day. Didn't happen this year. (unless I missed it).

Yeah, someone correct me if mistaken but I don't think Weaver has had any correspondence with the media since the season finished? I feel like that's probably a sign he's on the outer but who knows with this organization.

Return to Detroit Pistons