ImageImageImage

James Edwards III Offseason Trade Idea

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,501

Re: James Edwards III Offseason Trade Idea 

Post#61 » by Canadafan » Sun May 5, 2024 3:15 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Not sure they'd do it, but take out the Phoenix 1st and I think that's a fair deal.

I'd take out Phoenix first. Add our own future pick as well.

Duren Miles Ausar Monk Cade would be nice

Wiseman Fontecchio Grimes Sasser with our remaining cap space to add a player or two. Niiiice

You really could talk Tyus at that point to come here and start with Monk off the bench. Still cash left over for another forward too
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#62 » by Crymson » Sun May 5, 2024 3:20 pm

It's terrible value for the Nets, but it's also questionable for the Pistons. Bridges has only two seasons left on his contract. He'll be in line for a big payday, and there's no guarantee that he'll stay.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#63 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Sun May 5, 2024 5:33 pm

Canadafan wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
ocellatus921 wrote:Ivy, Stew & 2024 1st to the Nets for Bridges & the Phoenix 1st

I can’t even put that one on the t&t board. It would get laughed off.

Seems alot on trade board saying because his contract is running out that his value isn't too high but I dunno

viewtopic.php?t=2375333

I have trouble figuring out any of the Pistons players’ values. Why would Brooklyn (or anyone) want Stewart? As most on this board agree, he’s at best a backup center on a good team. Who wants to pay $15 million per year for that? Can someone name a backup center who makes that kind of money?

And Ivey…. Is he worth a first round pick anymore? Maybe a late one? He’s a player who “took a step back” this year….. again, who wants that?

Not to mention….. when we trade away Burks and Bogdanovic, and they totally stink for the Knicks, it doesn’t help our 14 win team’s look either…..
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,233

Post#64 » by BDM22 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:04 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
I can’t even put that one on the t&t board. It would get laughed off.

Seems alot on trade board saying because his contract is running out that his value isn't too high but I dunno

viewtopic.php?t=2375333

I have trouble figuring out any of the Pistons players’ values. Why would Brooklyn (or anyone) want Stewart? As most on this board agree, he’s at best a backup center on a good team. Who wants to pay $15 million per year for that? Can someone name a backup center who makes that kind of money?

And Ivey…. Is he worth a first round pick anymore? Maybe a late one? He’s a player who “took a step back” this year….. again, who wants that?

Not to mention….. when we trade away Burks and Bogdanovic, and they totally stink for the Knicks, it doesn’t help our 14 win team’s look either…..

Stew doesn't make sense in Brooklyn if they are going full rebuild. Probably would send him to a 3rd team. Stew's ideal role is certainly off the bench, but there are plenty of bench players making $15M+. Guys that can hit 3's and be a plus defender from the 4 & 5 spots are in high demand, whether (spot) starting or (ideally) off the bench. Being able to play both spots still leaves him open to 25-30 minutes even if he plays off the bench. And he's 22. Definitely value there. Main issue is he's building an injury history and is probably overpaid by about $3M per year.

As for Ivey, Sam Vecenie put his trade value at the #5 pick in this year's draft and has him as having a higher ceiling still than anyone in this draft (obviously says as much about the draft as Ivey). Vecenie's pretty well tapped in to the league. Teams that would want him would be teams that think Monty botched Ivey's season. I imagine teams will be trying to low-ball since we're desperate though.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,975

Post#65 » by Snakebites » Sun May 5, 2024 10:12 pm

Crymson wrote:It's terrible value for the Nets, but it's also questionable for the Pistons. Bridges has only two seasons left on his contract. He'll be in line for a big payday, and there's no guarantee that he'll stay.

With two years to make it work it’s a gamble but one I’d take.

I…don’t think we have as much to lose as others think we do.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#66 » by Crymson » Sun May 5, 2024 11:53 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Crymson wrote:It's terrible value for the Nets, but it's also questionable for the Pistons. Bridges has only two seasons left on his contract. He'll be in line for a big payday, and there's no guarantee that he'll stay.

My opinion is that that's the sort of philosophy which gets in-the-hole teams even further into the hole.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,975

Post#67 » by Snakebites » Sun May 5, 2024 11:55 pm

Crymson wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

My opinion is that that's the sort of philosophy which gets in-the-hole teams even further into the hole.

Doing nothing is a risk too. How much deeper does our hole get if Ivey/Duren both hit their floors as players?

We’ve got ill fitting pieces, most of which have a very good chance of amounting to little to nothing.

At least here we’d be taking a chance on pieces that fit.

We aren’t in a good position. We won 14 games in year 4 of a rebuild. Even if Cade pans out on his max contract we’re currently on a trajectory that leads to him asking out.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#68 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Mon May 6, 2024 2:20 am

BDM22 wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=2375333

Stew doesn't make sense in Brooklyn if they are going full rebuild. Probably would send him to a 3rd team. Stew's ideal role is certainly off the bench, but there are plenty of bench players making $15M+. Guys that can hit 3's and be a plus defender from the 4 & 5 spots are in high demand, whether (spot) starting or (ideally) off the bench. Being able to play both spots still leaves him open to 25-30 minutes even if he plays off the bench. And he's 22. Definitely value there. Main issue is he's building an injury history and is probably overpaid by about $3M per year.

As for Ivey, Sam Vecenie put his trade value at the #5 pick in this year's draft and has him as having a higher ceiling still than anyone in this draft (obviously says as much about the draft as Ivey). Vecenie's pretty well tapped in to the league. Teams that would want him would be teams that think Monty botched Ivey's season. I imagine teams will be trying to low-ball since we're desperate though.

I appreciate your response. With that said, can you name a team that would actually really want Stewart? The bad teams don’t, and the good ones don’t have the money to pay a backup big $15 million. And yes, while some teams have players that make that money coming off the bench, that is usually not the original design…..

As far as Ivey, if he could be had for the number five pick, trade him now! And yes, that probably has something to do with the players in this draft.

Circling back to the trade proposal, why would Brooklyn trade their best player for Stewart and Ivey? I simply can’t see it.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,233

Post#69 » by BDM22 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:03 am

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
JennetteMcCurdy wrote:

I appreciate your response. With that said, can you name a team that would actually really want Stewart? The bad teams don’t, and the good ones don’t have the money to pay a backup big $15 million. And yes, while some teams have players that make that money coming off the bench, that is usually not the original design…..

As far as Ivey, if he could be had for the number five pick, trade him now! And yes, that probably has something to do with the players in this draft.

Circling back to the trade proposal, why would Brooklyn trade their best player for Stewart and Ivey? I simply can’t see it.

The Celtics, Thunder, and Mavs all wanted Stewart this year, post-extension.

As for the proposal, I don't know that they would have an interest, but you're leaving out a guaranteed top-5 pick. Maybe if it lands #1 and they're high on Sarr, they would have an interest. Or if they view Ivey as being poorly utilized. Also, the original idea from James Edwards was including Duren instead of Stew, who I think would be more interesting to Brooklyn as an upside swing if they're rebuilding.

Bridges value definitely dropped significantly this year and it will only get lower as he now only has 2 years left on his contract and he showed definitively he isn't a #1 (or probably even #2) guy. He's not going to get anywhere close to the value they could have gotten if they had flipped him last offseason. Perhaps they look at that and say they better get what they can now.

I suspect a team like OKC or Houston would have a much better offer though, as he fits their teams perfectly and they have enough assets that they can rationalize over-paying for him. We really can't.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#70 » by Crymson » Mon May 6, 2024 3:46 pm

Snakebites wrote:Doing nothing is a risk too. How much deeper does our hole get if Ivey/Duren both hit their floors as players?

It doesn't get deeper. If that happens, then then you rebuild the rebuild. The alternative is almost certain long-term mediocrity at best. It sucks, but it's what it is.

We’ve got ill fitting pieces, most of which have a very good chance of amounting to little to nothing.

It's sort of a moot point, because the very same qualities that make Duren and Ivey expendable (that they're raw and uncertain as prospects) depress their value on the trade market. The Pistons are unlikely to see a return that would justify punting on their potential.

We aren’t in a good position. We won 14 games in year 4 of a rebuild. Even if Cade pans out on his max contract we’re currently on a trajectory that leads to him asking out.

I still don't understand the "this is a 14 win roster" mentality. This was a poorly-built roster that was slashed to pieces by the most egregiously destructive coaching the NBA has seen in a very long time. Monty Williams was an absolute wrecking ball to the performance of a roster that would have almost undoubtedly failed at the goal of competing for the play-in but could have won 25-30 games under a good coach and would have come nowhere near the depths it achieved -- depths that have almost exclusively been the realm of rosters that were built to lose. This one was inadequate, not terrible. Its coach took that inadequate roster and made it terrible. Casey was himself a bad on-court coach, but he won more games the season before with a very substantially worse roster and managed to keep the players engaged throughout (Monty lost his after five games).

Replace the NBA coaching equivalent of the grim reaper with a capable leader and add some veteran help, and I think you'll see the Pistons be a decent team next season. A play-in team? Doubtful, unless the roster sees significant development from the youth -- and there's the catch in trading them away. A desirable long-term ceiling depends upon development.

And if the Pistons pivot to long-term mediocrity instead, you're very likely looking at Cade asking out down the line if he becomes the player we hope he will.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,831

Post#71 » by theBigLip » Mon May 6, 2024 4:21 pm

Crymson wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Doing nothing is a risk too. How much deeper does our hole get if Ivey/Duren both hit their floors as players?

It doesn't get deeper. If that happens, then then you rebuild the rebuild. The alternative is almost certain long-term mediocrity at best. It sucks, but it's what it is.

It's sort of a moot point, because the very same qualities that make Duren and Ivey expendable (that they're raw and uncertain as prospects) depress their value on the trade market. The Pistons are unlikely to see a return that would justify punting on their potential.

I still don't understand the "this is a 14 win roster" mentality. This was a poorly-built roster that was slashed to pieces by the most egregiously destructive coaching the NBA has seen in a very long time. Monty Williams was an absolute wrecking ball to the performance of a roster that would have almost undoubtedly failed at the goal of competing for the play-in but could have won 25-30 games under a good coach and would have come nowhere near the depths it achieved -- depths that have almost exclusively been the realm of rosters that were built to lose. This one was inadequate, not terrible. Its coach took that inadequate roster and made it terrible. Casey was himself a bad on-court coach, but he won more games the season before with a very substantially worse roster and managed to keep the players engaged throughout (Monty lost his after five games).

Replace the NBA coaching equivalent of the grim reaper with a capable leader and add some veteran help, and I think you'll see the Pistons be a decent team next season. A play-in team? Doubtful, unless the roster sees significant development from the youth -- and there's the catch in trading them away. A desirable long-term ceiling depends upon development.

And if the Pistons pivot to long-term mediocrity instead, you're very likely looking at Cade asking out down the line if he becomes the player we hope he will.

Good points. I’d like to add onto that “14 win roster” as well. Yes, we did win 14 games, so it’s factual, but injuries have such an effect on that final number. Morris, BB and Burks were supposed to be our vet presence, but how many games did we get out of them? And then on the other end, we shut down guys like Stewart early to not risk further injury since the final win total didn’t really matter, except of course, to banter on RealGM :lol:

I think it is important to note that the effort level was high all year, especially knowing we were a lottery team.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#72 » by thesack12 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:59 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Crymson wrote:

Good points. I’d like to add onto that “14 win roster” as well. Yes, we did win 14 games, so it’s factual, but injuries have such an effect on that final number. Morris, BB and Burks were supposed to be our vet presence, but how many games did we get out of them? And then on the other end, we shut down guys like Stewart early to not risk further injury since the final win total didn’t really matter, except of course, to banter on RealGM :lol:

I think it is important to note that the effort level was high all year, especially knowing we were a lottery team.

Going into the season, relying on low level vets like Morris/Burks/Bojan is one of the reasons why this was a 14 win team. All three of those dudes got way over-rated and over-valued by Pistons fans, mostly because they are actually passable NBA players. They looked better than they are actually are, because there is such a deficiency of talent on the Pistons roster.

You don't even have to take my word on this, just look at what what those 3 guys have done since leaving Detroit....which is nothing.

In fact, all three aren't even in the regular playoff rotation for their teams.

So the Pistons were relying on these guys, yet they aren't even rotation players on good teams.

The Pistons were, quite deservedly, the worst team in the NBA. Injuries are far from a primary reason why they were a godawful team.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#73 » by theBigLip » Mon May 6, 2024 11:05 pm

thesack12 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Crymson wrote:

Going into the season, relying on low level vets like Morris/Burks/Bojan is one of the reasons why this was a 14 win team. All three of those dudes got way over-rated and over-valued by Pistons fans, mostly because they are actually passable NBA players. They looked better than they are actually are, because there is such a deficiency of talent on the Pistons roster.

You don't even have to take my word on this, just look at what what those 3 guys have done since leaving Detroit....which is nothing.

So the Pistons were relying on these guys, yet they aren't even rotation players on good teams.

The Pistons were, quite deservedly, the worst team in the NBA. Injuries are far from a primary reason why they were a godawful team.

I agree it was awful, just stating facts about how we got to 14 wins, instead of 23 or whatever.

And BB was playing for the Knicks until, surprise, he got injured.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#74 » by thesack12 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:25 pm

theBigLip wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

I agree it was awful, just stating facts about how we got to 14 wins, instead of 23 or whatever.

I don't think the Knicks are missing the 29% shooting and 12 minutes a game that Bojan was giving them.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#75 » by theBigLip » Mon May 6, 2024 11:58 pm

thesack12 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I don't think the Knicks are missing the 29% shooting and 12 minutes a game that Bojan was giving them.

He was also 40% on threes, but we weren’t debating how good he shot, just your statement that none of them were in the rotation, which in fact he was.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#76 » by thesack12 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:40 am

theBigLip wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

He was also 40% on threes, but we weren’t debating how good he shot, just your statement that none of them were in the rotation, which in fact he was.

And the Knicks advanced to the 2nd round... without Bojan in the rotation.

Regardless, the overarching point was the collection of vets that Detroit had was vastly over-rated. This has only been made more apparent when reflecting on what those guys went on to do after leaving Detroit while being on good teams.

In other words, they are not needle moving players. Their injuries and not having them in the lineup for Detroit, did not have a substantial impact on how the season played out.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#77 » by thesack12 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:52 am

The reasons why a lot of Pistons fans would be fine with trading this years pick or are outright wanting to trade it, are the same reasons why other team's won't be overly keen on acquiring it.

I think some folks will be surprised to find what type of value that pick actually holds. We need to look past the basic luster of what a "top 5 pick" typically implies.

In this draft, those are severely distressed assets.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#78 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue May 7, 2024 10:45 am

thesack12 wrote:The reasons why a lot of Pistons fans would be fine with trading this years pick or are outright wanting to trade it, are the same reasons why other team's won't be overly keen on acquiring it.

I think some folks will be surprised to find what type of value that pick actually holds. We need to look past the basic luster of what a "top 5 pick" typically implies.

In this draft, those are severely distressed assets.

Vecenie said in the podcast that the number one and two picks in the draft will be harder to trade because no player in the draft is worth that kind of money (5 years, $59 million). He made it sound like trades for picks 3-6 are more likely.
JennetteMcCurdy
Sophomore

Post#79 » by JennetteMcCurdy » Tue May 7, 2024 10:49 am

thesack12 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Crymson wrote:

The moment the Harris trade happened I thought last year would be a complete disaster. Our GM can’t manage assets - he’s one of the worst in history. Bad drafter, terrible at trades, terrible at collecting assets.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#80 » by theBigLip » Tue May 7, 2024 3:14 pm

JennetteMcCurdy wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:

The moment the Harris trade happened I thought last year would be a complete disaster. Our GM can’t manage assets - he’s one of the worst in history. Bad drafter, terrible at trades, terrible at collecting assets.

I’m not saying Weaver’s great but BB for Olynyk was a good trade. Getting Duren was a good trade. Getting Fontecchio was a good trade.

Return to Detroit Pistons