2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,968

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospect Discussion 

Post#461 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 1, 2024 1:58 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I'm really starting to come around on Reed Sheppard. Watching the Knicks/Sixers series, im seeing two smaller guards(Brunson 6'2 Maxey 6'2)just absolutely dominate the game. Sheppard besides being the best college shooter of all-time, has an excellent driving game, amd passing game. He reminds me of a blend of John Stockton, and Stephen Curry.

This is an excellent breakdown.

https://youtu.be/FdJ_j2ZxXUg?si=Zpri6gv9QdPJ-zpZ

He would be amazing next to Cade.

We'll probably regret not taking him
What stands out oddly enough is not his otherworldly shooting, its his defense. I mean holy crap can he move his feet, amd his timing for blocking shots at 6'2 is absurd. His eye for getting into passing lanes, and swiping at the ball is also really special.

This was a portion of the game that really made Stockton special as well. His eye for thievery was unparalleled.

Cade draws an insane amount of gravity in the lane, and having this level of shooter next to him would be truly nuts. You can't double off this kid ever, and he is not reddick, so of you close, he is gonna burn you, or create, or reposition, and shoot over you.

I think a bunch of teams are going to really regret not picking this kid.

Pure dog.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,110

Post#462 » by bstein14 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:28 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:I'm really starting to come around on Reed Sheppard. Watching the Knicks/Sixers series, im seeing two smaller guards(Brunson 6'2 Maxey 6'2)just absolutely dominate the game. Sheppard besides being the best college shooter of all-time, has an excellent driving game, amd passing game. He reminds me of a blend of John Stockton, and Stephen Curry.

What stands out oddly enough is not his otherworldly shooting, its his defense. I mean holy crap can he move his feet, amd his timing for blocking shots at 6'2 is absurd. His eye for getting into passing lanes, and swiping at the ball is also really special.

This was a portion of the game that really made Stockton special as well. His eye for thievery was unparalleled.

Cade draws an insane amount of gravity in the lane, and having this level of shooter next to him would be truly nuts. You can't double off this kid ever, and he is not reddick, so of you close, he is gonna burn you, or create, or reposition, and shoot over you.

Pure dog.

At the college level he's a good defender for sure.... maybe even Alex Caruso like... He gets after it. That said, we've seen good college defenders that aren't tall and aren't overly athletic struggle to defend guys at the NBA level. We all know his shooting should translate no problem, but its TBD on what level of defender he will be at the NBA level. He does attempt to block a lot of shots and was very good for his size but NBA players will know the scouting reports get him in the air and get him to commit fouls you can't jump to block at the NBA level as often on perimeter shooters.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#463 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 1, 2024 3:40 pm

bstein14 wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:We'll probably regret not taking him

Pure dog.

At the college level he's a good defender for sure.... maybe even Alex Caruso like... He gets after it. That said, we've seen good college defenders that aren't tall and aren't overly athletic struggle to defend guys at the NBA level. We all know his shooting should translate no problem, but its TBD on what level of defender he will be at the NBA level. He does attempt to block a lot of shots and was very good for his size but NBA players will know the scouting reports get him in the air and get him to commit fouls you can't jump to block at the NBA level as often on perimeter shooters.
True, and I'm not gonna argue that, but, as you stated his shooting should translate no problem.

Reed is not just a shooter, or a great shooter. He is an absurd shooter. If that translates, he absolutely should be at the top of the draft boards, without hesitation.

I have sincere doubts that the Pistons, especially if Weaver is still at the helm, will take him, so I'm hoping he's a bust. It looks to me he could be one of those players everyone overlooks, or takes him "because he was there", and everyone wonders afterwards, "why didn't he go *insert draft slot*?

His shooting would be epic next to Cade.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,085

Post#464 » by joedumars1 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:53 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Pure dog.
idk much about the kid, I do know I bet his over on the first game of the tourney ( cause people talking him big on here. lol) and he sucked. That wouldn’t fit pure dog to me, now maxey in a elimatuon game that’s a dog. I don’t think kid going to be to good. We will see tho
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,364

Post#465 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:04 pm

Here is another covering offense/playmaking/defense.

https://youtu.be/2ohk_0JW6fU?si=W_sVd9RcKOMuHQ64

This kid is an unreal shooter, great playmaker, especially in transition, and an absolute dog defensively.

Talent is talent, but it's worth asking if the Brunson/Maxey prototype really makes sense next to Cade. Those are pretty ball-dominant guys and there's not a lot of history of rosters with two ball-dominant guards working that well. Usually one gets traded and then they both do better independently.

I'm totally fine with targeting a guard who has off-ball juice and defensive abilities, regardless of height (though the defensive abilities get tougher at the highest level if they're short enough - those guys tend to get targeted in any seriously competitive game). But Brunson/Maxey prototype? Does that really make sense with Cade?
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#466 » by zeebneeb » Wed May 1, 2024 11:59 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:

Here is another covering offense/playmaking/defense.

https://youtu.be/2ohk_0JW6fU?si=W_sVd9RcKOMuHQ64

This kid is an unreal shooter, great playmaker, especially in transition, and an absolute dog defensively.

Talent is talent, but it's worth asking if the Brunson/Maxey prototype really makes sense next to Cade. Those are pretty ball-dominant guys and there's not a lot of history of rosters with two ball-dominant guards working that well. Usually one gets traded and then they both do better independently.

I'm totally fine with targeting a guard who has off-ball juice and defensive abilities, regardless of height (though the defensive abilities get tougher at the highest level if they're short enough - those guys tend to get targeted in any seriously competitive game). But Brunson/Maxey prototype? Does that really make sense with Cade?
Its the shooting. Cade, from the very second he touched an NBA floor, has been getting doubled, tripled, you name it. Reed would ensure, alongside Tek, that doubled couldn't happen constantly.

52% from three, any three, is absolutely ridiculous.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,527

Post#467 » by whitehops » Thu May 2, 2024 1:54 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:[Talent is talent, but it's worth asking if the Brunson/Maxey prototype really makes sense next to Cade. Those are pretty ball-dominant guys and there's not a lot of history of rosters with two ball-dominant guards working that well. Usually one gets traded and then they both do better independently.

we just need good players, fit should be the last of our concerns imo.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#468 » by GreekAlex » Thu May 2, 2024 2:07 am

We’re 11 days away from the draft lottery.

I won’t be as disappointed if we don’t get a top pick as in past years but it would still be nice.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,963

Post#469 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 2:16 am

GreekAlex wrote:We’re 11 days away from the draft lottery.

I won’t be as disappointed if we don’t get a top pick as in past years but it would still be nice.

This will be the year we move up
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,085

Post#470 » by joedumars1 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:19 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:We’re 11 days away from the draft lottery.

This will be the year we move up

Can’t move up from #1 :nod: they got screwed on wemby so I think we get the first this year tho thank you nba :banghead:
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#471 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:16 pm

whitehops wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:[Talent is talent, but it's worth asking if the Brunson/Maxey prototype really makes sense next to Cade. Those are pretty ball-dominant guys and there's not a lot of history of rosters with two ball-dominant guards working that well. Usually one gets traded and then they both do better independently.

we just need good players, fit should be the last of our concerns imo.

If you draft an A-level player but put them in a situation where they only produce C-level results, then you may have drafted the talent, but you're not benefitting from it to the level you should. I think you ignore fit to your own detriment.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Post#472 » by theBigLip » Thu May 2, 2024 6:31 pm

Lottery May 12. We are of course going to win since this is a loser draft.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,229

Post#473 » by BDM22 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:55 pm

theBigLip wrote:Lottery May 12. We are of course going to win since this is a loser draft.

1000%.

2 drafts in a row we fall and miss out on franchise altering talent (league altering in Wemby's case), and now we're going to be flipping a coin on some random player at #1 in hopes that they even become a solid NBA rotation player.

Here's a question... How high does Killian go if he were entering the draft this year like he did in 2020? :-?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,110

Post#474 » by bstein14 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:19 pm

BDM22 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Lottery May 12. We are of course going to win since this is a loser draft.

1000%.

2 drafts in a row we fall and miss out on franchise altering talent (league altering in Wemby's case), and now we're going to be flipping a coin on some random player at #1 in hopes that they even become a solid NBA rotation player.

Here's a question... How high does Killian go if he were entering the draft this year like he did in 2020? :-?

Yup, and no one will want to trade up and we'll be paying first round pick $$$ to a player that's about the same as whoever is picked 3rd, 4th or 5th.... Hopefully if we get #1 pick I'm wrong and there is demand for a trade up that we take advantage of but who knows.

Also, Weaver is going to hire someone who isn't watching film scouting right now? Lots of other organizations aren't taking a hard look at the top 8 to 10 guys like we should be doing right now so it feels like the longer we wait to hire a new top guy the more likely this pick gets messed up.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,060

Post#475 » by vic » Fri May 3, 2024 2:31 am

I love Risacher but I’d take Reed Sheppard in a heartbeat if Risacher is not available…

Athleticism is way more than size and length, it’s hand-eye coordination, foot speed, hand speed. Reed is elite talent, plus elite IQ on both ends… Ivey would be 6th man at that point. Sasser would be gone.

Risacher
Sarr
Sheppard
Filipowski

That’s where I’m at
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#476 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:45 pm

As long as he can thrive off-ball, Reed Sheppard works for me. Great outside shooter who can at least play competitive defense is the type of archetype to put around Cade. I'd probably be Sarr at 1 and Sheppard at 2 thus far.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,280

Post#477 » by GreekAlex » Sun May 5, 2024 4:58 am

Kalamazoo317 wrote:As long as he can thrive off-ball, Reed Sheppard works for me. Great outside shooter who can at least play competitive defense is the type of archetype to put around Cade. I'd probably be Sarr at 1 and Sheppard at 2 thus far.

Who do people see as Sheppard’s ceiling comp?

I just don’t see enough upside to warrant a top 5 pick.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#478 » by Kp junior » Sun May 5, 2024 1:38 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:As long as he can thrive off-ball, Reed Sheppard works for me. Great outside shooter who can at least play competitive defense is the type of archetype to put around Cade. I'd probably be Sarr at 1 and Sheppard at 2 thus far.

No one will say Steph, so how about Lillard?
And Seth Curry as the floor maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#479 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:56 pm

Kp junior wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

No one will say Steph, so how about Lillard?
And Seth Curry as the floor maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the hope would be that he'd be better on defense than any of those guys - certainly Lilliard and Seth.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran

Post#480 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:59 pm

I think Derrick White would be the comparison for Sheppard.

Return to Detroit Pistons