Free Agency

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,271

Re: Free Agency 

Post#161 » by Neptune » Thu May 2, 2024 12:27 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Neptune wrote:Just trade the pick+Sasser+Fournier for Ingram. Keep our core 4 assets.

It would take the pick and one of the 4 but its worth it. Duren makes the most sense for them and us considering we have a few potential avenues to replace him

Ingram is injury prone. Why does the Pistons have to give up an additional asset plus the 1st overall pick? The Pelicans are about to be in cap-hell too. Who else is offering the 1st overall pick plus cap relief for the Pelicans?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,958

Post#162 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 1:33 am

Neptune wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Neptune wrote:Just trade the pick+Sasser+Fournier for Ingram. Keep our core 4 assets.

It would take the pick and one of the 4 but its worth it. Duren makes the most sense for them and us considering we have a few potential avenues to replace him

Ingram is injury prone. Why does the Pistons have to give up an additional asset plus the 1st overall pick? The Pelicans are about to be in cap-hell too. Who else is offering the 1st overall pick plus cap relief for the Pelicans?

Hes a guy who can create his own offense. He's more like Cade tier than a Duren. Theres also no guarantee of the 1st overall but maybe thats enough alone.

Edit: maybe im overrating his value being he's a expiring
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#163 » by A_dub06 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:57 am

Neptune wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Ingram misses 25% of the games from every season and he’s been shooting less 3’s every season. The locked on Pelicans podcaster just said on the Pistons pod that Ingram has been hurting the Pels spacing because he doesn’t shoot as many 3’s as he should be taking as he loves the mid range game. The pelicans NEED spacing around Zion and have a guy who can give it but doesn’t. I don’t think the Pels want to give him a contract extension so I f we trade for him it should be Duren and someone else for him and not the pick. We then use the pick to draft Sarr and we call it a day improving both ends of the court
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#164 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 2:01 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Neptune wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:It would take the pick and one of the 4 but its worth it. Duren makes the most sense for them and us considering we have a few potential avenues to replace him

Ingram misses 25% of the games from every season and he’s been shooting less 3’s every season. The locked on Pelicans podcaster just said on the Pistons pod that Ingram has been hurting the Pels spacing because he doesn’t shoot as many 3’s as he should be taking as he loves the mid range game. The pelicans NEED spacing around Zion and have a guy who can give it but doesn’t. I don’t think the Pels want to give him a contract extension so I f we trade for him it should be Duren and someone else for him and not the pick. We then use the pick to draft Sarr and we call it a day improving both ends of the court

Watching that podcast now. Hopefully the trade can catch some legs.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#165 » by A_dub06 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:07 am

MotownMadness wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Neptune wrote:Ingram is injury prone. Why does the Pistons have to give up an additional asset plus the 1st overall pick? The Pelicans are about to be in cap-hell too. Who else is offering the 1st overall pick plus cap relief for the Pelicans?

Well the other thing is how much is BI going to cost? If he will only accept max or just below his max I think that’s a really bad use of cap, and once he’s signed to that number we will be stuck with it. If you really look at all his stats including advanced, the missed games and also reduced 3pt shooting is really bad despite his aggregates for other counting stats and he’s turning 27 this year making him younger than what most would assume, pretty sure that makes him younger than Mikail Bridges.

I’d probably do Duren and Fournier like they suggested on the podcast for Ingram to just get some talent in and hope he improves his condition to reduce injuries and also make him bomb away from 3. Still prefer Trey Murphy though, would legit offer our 1st and Duren for him or duren & Ivey without the 1st.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#166 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 2:15 am

A_dub06 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Well the other thing is how much is BI going to cost? If he will only accept max or just below his max I think that’s a really bad use of cap, and once he’s signed to that number we will be stuck with it. If you really look at all his stats including advanced, the missed games and also reduced 3pt shooting is really bad despite his aggregates for other counting stats and he’s turning 27 this year making him younger than what most would assume, pretty sure that makes him younger than Mikail Bridges.

I’d probably do Duren and Fournier like they suggested on the podcast for Ingram to just get some talent in and hope he improves his condition to reduce injuries and also make him bomb away from 3. Still prefer Trey Murphy though, would legit offer our 1st and Duren for him or duren & Ivey without the 1st.

Im just getting desperate for another guy to pair Cade with. Ingram seems attainable and I think they make for a pretty good duo.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#167 » by LaSheed » Thu May 2, 2024 3:22 am

MotownMadness wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Watching that podcast now. Hopefully the trade can catch some legs.

Im just getting desperate for another guy to pair Cade with. Ingram seems attainable and I think they make for a pretty good duo.

I'm leaning this way as well. Building around 2 very injury prone players is scary and definitely not the way I'd build a team....but 14 wins will change a man.

Still thinking Bridges is my #1 target and I'll strip this poorly built house down to the studs to get him.

**Assuming they strikeout on Mitchell, other star players etc
jars
Junior
And1: 39

Post#168 » by jars » Thu May 2, 2024 5:38 am

It might say more about Lu Dort and 'The Dorture Chamber' but after watching Ingram in the playoffs, I'm not sure he is worth the front door, let alone the keys to the house.

This series as the number 1/number 2 option he averaged 14.3ppg on at 34.5%. He got out muscled and out positioned in the post by a guy 4 inches smaller than him. He lacks 3 pt range and couldn't hit shots over a short opponent consistently from mid-range. He is only an acceptable defender and he is never going to be a lockdown guy. Lu Dort was in this guys head to the point that he wasn't taking shots because he was afraid of Dort. I just don't think he is a top 30 guy in the league, so I can't justify a max contract to him. Watch him get punk'd into passing on this play: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/1cgnnxz/highlight_lu_dort_locks_in_brandon_ingram_using/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,954

Post#169 » by Snakebites » Thu May 2, 2024 5:46 am

This team is so desperate for guys who can play. Ingram isn’t a great fit with Cade. He’s not at all a playoff performer.

The former matters. To be honest I’m not sure the latter does. We just won 14 games. We aren’t making the playoffs for at least a couple more years. Our young guys clearly aren’t going to get better unless the veterans they are playing with are higher in quality- there are benefits to playing alongside reliable guys- benefits our youth hasn’t been enjoying.

Guys who make us marginally better but aren’t “end game” pieces should frankly be considered as long as they don’t come with massive long term financial commitments.

Probably best to not be quite so picky.

That said, I’m also very much not a fan of Ingram. So it’s tough. Not sure I can practice what I preach here.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,220

Post#170 » by BDM22 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:07 am

The question is who is a "good" fit with Cade? Have we basically ruled out anyone that plays on-ball as not being able to be effective with Cade? If it's the case that Cade has to be the only guy to touch the ball I think we're already cooked.
jars
Junior
And1: 39

Post#171 » by jars » Thu May 2, 2024 6:26 am

In theory Cade should fit with almost anyone. Thats part of what makes him an attractive prospect.

In saying that a 'good' fit with Cade has to be someone who can shot threes at a good clip to space the floor and able to handle the ball when Cade is out/needs a break. Personally, someone who can be a potential all defense guard is what I would love so that Cade doesn't get worn down by playing defense on other teams best guard.

When I think about it, if we assume growth and guys adding a consistent shot, couldn't this be Ausar or Ivey? Ivey can handle in a pinch, defend well and is a streaky shooter. Ausar is a high level defender already and has the potential to be a ball handler and shooter. Do we just lack faith in our kids developing?
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,105

Post#172 » by tmorgan » Thu May 2, 2024 7:22 am

jars wrote:In theory Cade should fit with almost anyone. Thats part of what makes him an attractive prospect.

In saying that a 'good' fit with Cade has to be someone who can shot threes at a good clip to space the floor and able to handle the ball when Cade is out/needs a break. Personally, someone who can be a potential all defense guard is what I would love so that Cade doesn't get worn down by playing defense on other teams best guard.

When I think about it, if we assume growth and guys adding a consistent shot, couldn't this be Ausar or Ivey? Ivey can handle in a pinch, defend well and is a streaky shooter. Ausar is a high level defender already and has the potential to be a ball handler and shooter. Do we just lack faith in our kids developing?

Just a note here… Ivey is a god awful rat-ass defender right now. I mean Trae Young level of awful. Trae has the excuse of being small and light. Ivey just sucks… because he sucks. He should be better. Unlike Trae, he could be better. But right now, he’s a complete sieve other than the occasional nice block.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,401

Post#173 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 2, 2024 9:48 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:Trading 20 year olds like Duren in favor of signing 25 year olds like Claxton is basically announcing that you are OK with chasing an 8 seed but accept that you will never make a deep playoff run.

I get that fans are desperate for wins. But we shouldn't sacrifice our future for instant gratification.

Not happy with Duren

He's a rim runner without any defense

He also just turned 20 and is coming off his second season where he averaged 14/12 on 62% TS shooting almost 80% from the line. And he has admitted his lingering ankle injuries have limited his mobility and how he played defense.

But sure, let's watch him blossom and enter his prime for some other team while we chase the 8 seed with Claxton.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#174 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 9:51 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:Trading 20 year olds like Duren in favor of signing 25 year olds like Claxton is basically announcing that you are OK with chasing an 8 seed but accept that you will never make a deep playoff run.

I get that fans are desperate for wins. But we shouldn't sacrifice our future for instant gratification.

Not happy with Duren

He also just turned 20 and is coming off his second season where he averaged 14/12 on 62% TS shooting almost 80% from the line. And he has admitted his lingering ankle injuries have limited his mobility and how he played defense.

But sure, let's watch him blossom and enter his prime for some other team while we chase the 8 seed with Claxton.

What are we thinking he can develop into? Im not sure what more he can become than what he is. He needs to start playing some defense i guess.
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#175 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 2, 2024 9:52 am

King Bugs wrote:

It's actually announcing that after 15 years of futility that we've finally gotten serious about playing defense again.

And if Duren continues to not be able to anchor an NBA defense then he has no future here. We already had a center capable of putting up the occasional low impact 20/20 games while giving us no real paint presence defensively... not impressed.

I don't care how many 3 point shooters we add to this roster, if clamping up is not a priority and we're still somehow starting 3-4 bad defenders (including the injury prone guy we're about to max out), then our ceiling remains extremely low.

As above, he's 20 and injuries have limited how he has played defense which he admits. Get him a good coach, give him time and watch him grow.
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#176 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 2, 2024 9:53 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Not happy with Duren

What are we thinking he can develop into? Im not sure what more he can become than what he is. He needs to start playing some defense i guess.

You do realise that players don't reach their ceiling at 20? Especially centers?

Did you consider the possibility maybe he hasn't been taught how to defend properly yet?
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#177 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 2, 2024 9:55 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

You do realise that players don't reach their ceiling at 20? Especially centers?

Obviously bro, i picked up on that watching ball since the 90s.

I dont see a whole lot of growth in his style of play. Hopefully im wrong and he develops a bunch of skills but IDK.

That also speaks to how solid he's been coming into the league at what he does.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#178 » by thesack12 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:30 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:

Did you consider the possibility maybe he hasn't been taught how to defend properly yet?

You have a point. but there is a counter point to this that some people don't consider when it comes to players they have attachment to.

That point is, that some players (a lot) never reach their perceived "ceiling."
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#179 » by Mr Peanut » Thu May 2, 2024 11:47 am

thesack12 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:What are we thinking he can develop into? Im not sure what more he can become than what he is. He needs to start playing some defense i guess.

You have a point. but there is a counter point to this that a lot of people don't consider when it comes to players they have attachment to.

That point is, that some players (a lot?) never reach their perceived "ceiling."

True, and I have followed the Pistons long enough to see a lot of our players stay for several years and never develop into the talents we have wanted them to be.

But it's not like Duren took a step back last season - his per 36 numbers increased in almost every category and his FT shooting increased from 61% to almost 80% which shows how hard he works on his game and his potential to improve in certain areas.

Claxton is the better overall player right now due to his defense, but who will be better in 3 years when we're a team that's actually looking to make some noise in the playoffs? My money's on Duren.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,494

Post#180 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 12:41 pm

Just surround our young punks with vetssss. Where's the free agent list? Who's got it? Give me a good guard and 2 forwards and then take a stab in the dark on our draft pick. Nobody we trade for using our pick and ivey or duren is gonna move the needle so much that it's even worth it at this point. Just add to our mish mash of misfits for now.

Return to Detroit Pistons