2B - Espinal

Still a right handed heavy team, need to balance
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,487

Re: Teoscar traded to Mariners 

Post#62 » by Cyrus » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:42 pm

SO who is OF option out on the market that bats Left?
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,589

Post#63 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:14 am

SharoneWright wrote:Clearing future salary obligations for flexibility and in order to extend Vladdy.

That is exactly how it will get "explained" but make no mistake this has nothing to do with Vladdy and everything to do with the 2023 budget.
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#64 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:19 am

JTT wrote:
hyper316 wrote:I hear on twitter FO interested signing FA Brandon Nimmo, how much will he cost?

George Springer money, so is doubtful and possibly not wise. I’m thinking more Conforto or Brantley.

Willing to be my left nut we will hear about how jays had second best offer. This FO is really good at floating that stuff.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#65 » by TR50 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:19 am

I like it.

I think last seasons iteration of the Blue Jays was not getting it done. And some type of shuffle was inevitable. I really liked Teo, so it is slightly sad to see him go; but like other have said, I am looking forward to see what the entirety of the offseason looks like. Especially since Bullpen pieces are so volatile.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#66 » by Schad » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:28 am

bluerap23 wrote:
JTT wrote:
hyper316 wrote:I hear on twitter FO interested signing FA Brandon Nimmo, how much will he cost?

George Springer money, so is doubtful and possibly not wise. I’m thinking more Conforto or Brantley.

Willing to be my left nut we will hear about how jays had second best offer. This FO is really good at floating that stuff.

We've spent more in free agency in the past couple seasons than almost any team in baseball, heh. 13 FA contracts of $100m+ signed in the past two years, and two of them were by the Jays. We also extended a player for $131m. Whatever criticisms one wants to levy at this FO, "they don't spend on megadeals" can't rationally be one.
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#67 » by vaff87 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:56 am

Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
JTT wrote:

We've spent more in free agency in the past couple seasons than almost any team in baseball, heh. 13 FA contracts of $100m+ signed in the past two years, and two of them were by the Jays. We also extended a player for $131m. Whatever criticisms one wants to levy at this FO, "they don't spend on megadeals" can't rationally be one.

Speaking of which, we desperately need Berrios to regain his pre-2022 form next season.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,192

Post#68 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:07 am

vaff87 wrote:
Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

Speaking of which, we desperately need Berrios to regain his pre-2022 form next season.

Bounce back year. I’m digging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#69 » by Cyrus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:37 am

Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
JTT wrote:

Don't forget we are paying like 10 or 12 mill of Randal salary this upcoming season to not play for us.

Time to bring back Tapia to be an everyday playa
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#70 » by Cyrus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:03 am

vaff87 wrote:
Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

We absolutely need bounce back year, we can't afford to be paying berrios/yusei nearly 30 mill for worse than replacement level production.

That's prob one reason we said so long to Teo, we needed to relocate funds better at other holes
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Schad » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:16 am

Cyrus wrote:Don't forget we are paying like 10 or 12 mill of Randal salary this upcoming season to not play for us.

We ate much of his money last year, much less this year. We're paying $4.33m in 2023.
**** your asterisk.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,918

Post#72 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:37 am

Cyrus wrote:SO who is OF option out on the market that bats Left?

In free agency, the names that stand out are Brantley and Conforto. Both are projected to get one year deals at around Teoscar’s projected arbitration number. Bellinger if he’s non tendered is another option but he’s been awful with the bat for two years now. I could name about a million things I’d rather do than watch Joey Gallo play baseball so I hope he’s not even considered, but he’s another lefty available.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Schad » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:40 am

Adrian_05 wrote:Hard to call him a high leverage reliever when he wasn't used much as one.

Really looks like they got an interesting reliever, more of a medium leverage guy, and got to clear some salary to find a puzzle piece that fits better.

Generally speaking, the only difference between a very good high-leverage reliever and a very good medium-leverage reliever is when the manager deploys them. There's absolutely no evidence that there is any differentiation in expected performance between them, which is why teams have mercifully ditched the idiocy that was the True Closer, in favour of just using dudes that are good at pitching. Swanson is good at pitching, and as a consequence he'll be used in high-leverage situations.
**** your asterisk.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#74 » by Cyrus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:56 am

Michael Bradley wrote:
Cyrus wrote:SO who is OF option out on the market that bats Left?

In free agency, the names that stand out are Brantley and Conforto. Both are projected to get one year deals at around Teoscar’s projected arbitration number. Bellinger if he’s non tendered is another option but he’s been awful with the bat for two years now. I could name about a million things I’d rather do than watch Joey Gallo play baseball so I hope he’s not even considered, but he’s another lefty available.

Well we were interested in Conforto last year, but how much is he gonna cost? 15 mill 1 year.

Might be better trying to get another 4th type starting pitching and bring back our hero Tapia back!!
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,139

Post#75 » by DelAbbot » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:21 am

This looks like a pure penny pinching move.

Teoscar might be trended down but his value is higher than this.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,139

Post#76 » by DelAbbot » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:26 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's not a lie if they know the truth.

It's not a lie. Atkin: "we don't need it, because we ain't signing anyone significant"
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#77 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:04 am

Anyone that doesn't see this as a cost-cutting move is delusional. No doubt we have spent over the past few years (not so wisely) but the tides are turning. We are a worse ball club than we were yesterday. There is still time to improve but the loss of Teo (and likely Stipling) is going to hurt.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Schad » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:43 am

bluerap23 wrote:Anyone that doesn't see this as a cost-cutting move is delusional. No doubt we have spent over the past few years (not so wisely) but the tides are turning. We are a worse ball club than we were yesterday. There is still time to improve but the loss of Teo (and likely Stipling) is going to hurt.

Our payroll is going to rise substantially. Like, with Teo (and without Stripling or any additions at all) we were projected to have a payroll of $195m, the 4th-highest in baseball.

For everyone who inexplicably still believes that the Jays are cheap, and for some reason believes that the only thing holding us back is that we aren't lighting another $20m on fire: we're going to have one of the highest payrolls in all of baseball with or without him. They've already indicated that we're pursuing expensive free agents. But keeping Teo in the final year of his deal, given that we are a baseball team and baseball teams should never fixate on a single season because the playoffs are a crapshoot, just didn't make very much sense for us. He's going to get a contract in the 2023 offseason that some team is almost definitely going to regret, because players like Teo rarely age gracefully.

On spending free agent money unwisely: no ****! Most free agent spending is unwise. Free agents are terrible, terrible value in the modern era, because they are older players, and older players are not as good as younger players. And trying to make up for our free agent megadeals by signing more free agent megadeals is like chasing losses at the roulette table.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,518
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#79 » by SharoneWright » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:55 am

bluerap23 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Clearing future salary obligations for flexibility and in order to extend Vladdy.

That is exactly how it will get "explained" but make no mistake this has nothing to do with Vladdy and everything to do with the 2023 budget.

Short term thinking sucks... but there's a chance this move actually allows the Jays to operate within a "2023 budget" while improving BOTH the bullpen and the position player roster. (And simultaneously boosting the future outlook). That's the job of a modern FO: consider multiple factors, now and going forward, and not just the sentiment of the clubhouse homer-jacket crew on Thursdays. Or even in 2023.

Did anybody believe we DIDN'T need to make changes after last year?? This is literally the most judicious/least fringy type of move. And I hope only the beginning... A non-tender candidate who eats up too many dollars while entering his twilight years for 1. bullpen help 2. prospect capital and 3. immediate salary flexibility/versatility to alter or add to the 2023/24/25/26+ team.

Teoscar was a single declining asset sure to create a multiplier of constraints on the Jays' salary structure. We got a mix of everything back. Immediate help. Future lottery card. Salary flexibility. Wish all 3 could be rated 10/10/10,, but I'll take 7/7/7.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#80 » by Hottie McShotty » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:40 pm

What about Michael Conforto on a two year contract with an opt-out clause? Dangerous lefty bat in the lineup. He missed all of 2022 with an injury and is a free agent this season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays