Teoscar traded to Mariners

Moderator: JaysRule15

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,589

Re: Teoscar traded to Mariners 

Post#101 » by bluerap23 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:30 pm

Schad wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:A non-tender candidate? Are you serious?!?
His Twilight years? He is 29 years old.

This is utter nonsense.

We traded a middle of the order bat for a low-leverage (even a good one) reliever.

I am completely floored that so many do not see this.

Think he means that he wasn't going to be tendered a QO after this season, and there's a decent chance that he's right. Teo's 2022 season was right on the fringe of being worth QOing. Any step back, even a small one, and he isn't worth it.

Anyone want to have a friendly wager on whether or not Teo will receive a QO next year?

That would be some easy money for me.

He was also worth 1.7 fWAR last season, while Teo was worth 2.4.

Yes, he had 1 great season and that was worth 1.7 (his previous high was 0.3)and as you've pointed out it still was not worth what Teo was worth last year in a season where he underperformed due to injuries (how about we look at the last 3).

We also know that bullpen arms are extremely variable from year-to-year. Who wants to take the over on 1.7?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#102 » by Schad » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:08 pm

bluerap23 wrote:Anyone want to have a friendly wager on whether or not Teo will receive a QO next year?

That would be some easy money for me.

The QO was $19.65m this year. Teo's production, per Fangraphs, was worth $19.4m. It's entirely possible he gets a QO next season, if he performs well. But even a slight deterioration and no, he isn't going to be worth it. Not exactly easy money unless you are quite confident Teo is going to get better in his age 30 season, which is not something I would be confident about.

Yes, he had 1 great season and that was worth 1.7 (his previous high was 0.3)and as you've pointed out it still was not worth what Teo was worth last year in a season where he underperformed due to injuries (how about we look at the last 3).

We also know that bullpen arms are extremely variable from year-to-year. Who wants to take the over on 1.7?

The difference is that we have him for three years. We had Teo for one. The likelihood that Swanson in three seasons outproduces Teo in one is quite high.
**** your asterisk.
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#103 » by bluerap23 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:19 pm

polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#104 » by polo007 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:28 am

The Marlins’ plan for center field and insight on who they tried to acquire this offseason - Miami Herald

Updated on March 22, 2022 at 3:27 PM

▪ A trade pursuit of Toronto outfielder Teoscar Hernandez.

The Marlins and Blue Jays had serious discussions in November, and if this deal had happened, Miami likely wouldn’t have signed Soler.

Hernandez, 29, produced his best offensive season last year, hitting .296 with 32 homers and 116 RBI in 143 games. He posted a 3.9 wins over replacement.

Though he has played primarily in left and right field, Hernandez has played center field in 110 games, including extensive work there in 2019, and probably is better equipped defensively for center than any of the Marlins starting outfielders.

Toronto was seeking an upgrade at third base, and Brian Anderson likely would have been part of any deal. The Marlins also assuredly would have been required to send Toronto at least one starting pitcher.

The Blue Jays have been pursuing a left-handed bat all offseason, and had they signed Kyle Schwarber or Michael Conforto in free agency, they might have dealt Hernandez.

After the lockout, Toronto instead acquired Gold Glove third baseman Matt Chapman from the Athletics, and signed starting pitcher Yusei Kikuchi to a three-year deal.

The Marlins and Jays haven’t revived trade talks since the lockout ended.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,750

Post#105 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:35 am

An upgrade at 3rd base?

Teoscar in centre?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,310

Post#106 » by Parataxis » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:34 am

Fairview4Life wrote:An upgrade at 3rd base?

Teoscar in centre?

It's from last Spring.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#107 » by polo007 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:05 am

Blue Jays' Atkins on Hernandez trade, Swanson's impact, and more | Tim & Friends

10:04 | November 16, 2022

Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins joins Tim and Friends to discuss the trade that sent outfielder Teoscar Hernandez to the Seattle Mariners for reliever Erik Swanson.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#108 » by Hottie McShotty » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:47 pm

Why not take a shot at Judge? Why can't we spend like the Mets? Give him $40 million over 8 years. We want to be taken serious then this is a move a team like the Jays should make. I'm fine with Springer in CF and Judge in RF. Sign Brantley as your Lefty bat and DH and trade for a SP and you have a blockbuster of an off-season!
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,807

Post#109 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 am

polo007 wrote:Blue Jays' Atkins on Hernandez trade, Swanson's impact, and more | Tim & Friends

Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins joins Tim and Friends to discuss the trade that sent outfielder Teoscar Hernandez to the Seattle Mariners for reliever Erik Swanson.

So adding starting pitching depth will be a priority over replacing Teo's production. That's good. The offence is fine, even without Teo. It's the pitching depth that was putrid last season.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#110 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:20 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:Why not take a shot at Judge? Why can't we spend like the Mets? Give him $40 million over 8 years. We want to be taken serious then this is a move a team like the Jays should make. I'm fine with Springer in CF and Judge in RF. Sign Brantley as your Lefty bat and DH and trade for a SP and you have a blockbuster of an off-season!

Gonna wait for you to google “how old is Aaron Judge?” before replying.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,192

Post#111 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
polo007 wrote:Blue Jays' Atkins on Hernandez trade, Swanson's impact, and more | Tim & Friends

So adding starting pitching depth will be a priority over replacing Teo's production. That's good. The offence is fine, even without Teo. It's the pitching depth that was putrid last season.

ya there is some flexibility in terms of the types of moves they can make. They can surely somehow make up some of Teo's offense with an improved defense, aka their run prevention goal
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,337

Post#112 » by pilkoids » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:Why not take a shot at Judge? Why can't we spend like the Mets? Give him $40 million over 8 years. We want to be taken serious then this is a move a team like the Jays should make. I'm fine with Springer in CF and Judge in RF. Sign Brantley as your Lefty bat and DH and trade for a SP and you have a blockbuster of an off-season!

tbh Judge turning 30 snuck up on me too
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#113 » by bluerap23 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:33 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

ya there is some flexibility in terms of the types of moves they can make. They can surely somehow make up some of Teo's offense with an improved defense, aka their run prevention goal

Our offence took a step back last year with the loss of Semien (even if he wasn't as good after departing). Not sure we can handle another blow by replacing Teo with Espinal for example.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,192

Post#114 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:35 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Our offence took a step back last year with the loss of Semien (even if he wasn't as good after departing). Not sure we can handle another blow by replacing Teo with Espinal for example.

they had a down year. i don't think it was because Semien left.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#115 » by bluerap23 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:16 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion but the numbers say you are wrong. this doesn't even take into account the affect on other batters in the lineup.

Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#116 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:16 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

38 when the contract is done. I'm willing to take a chance on him. You don't think he can hit and produce at that age? Even if he had to DH. Cabrera, Nelson and Votto have done it. Why not Judge to?
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,487

Post#117 » by Cyrus » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:46 pm

IF your willing to spend 40 mill on Judge, then you can say good bye to BO and likely Vladdy, there is no way we are going to being pay 2 guys basically 100 mill between the two. Otherwise you'll have the rest of the team making peanuts to field a team.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Schad » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:10 am

bluerap23 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

I suppose you are entitled to your opinion but the numbers say you are wrong. this doesn't even take into account the affect on other batters in the lineup.

We didn't even have a down year. Jays were 2nd in baseball in wRC+ (117) in 2022, 4th in runs scored. In 2021, they were 2nd in wRC+ (112), 3rd in runs scored.

It just felt like we had a down year because offense baseball-wide utterly cratered.
**** your asterisk.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Schad » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:14 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:38 when the contract is done. I'm willing to take a chance on him. You don't think he can hit and produce at that age? Even if he had to DH. Cabrera, Nelson and Votto have done it. Why not Judge to?

By Cabrera, you mean Miguel Cabrera, who has been the second-worst contract in baseball* for six years now? He has made well over $150m in that span in order to produce below replacement-level...that's exactly the sort of contract that should give people pause about paying $40m/year to Aaron Judge, not the sort of contract to support it. He'd have been DFAed four years ago if not for his deal.

*Chris Davis wins, though it's close. Pujols is right there with him, with Patrick Corbin close behind.
**** your asterisk.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#120 » by Fairview4Life » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:18 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

38 when the contract is done. I'm willing to take a chance on him. You don't think he can hit and produce at that age? Even if he had to DH. Cabrera, Nelson and Votto have done it. Why not Judge to?

Dude, I signed a petition to demand the Jays go after Prince Fielder. Trust me, Judge for 40 million/year for 8 years ain’t it.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays