ImageImageImageImageImage

PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds

Moderator: JaysRule15

Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,246

Re: PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds 

Post#741 » by Madvillainy2004 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 3:20 pm

Didn't even take in bringing in Tapia for Whit instead of JBJ. The ONLY reason JBJ is on a major league team is his glove. Tapia is a bad offensive player but has enough contact ability I can at least see why he plays. JBJ makes at least 1 of those catches imo. Just an awful game for John and unfortunately I think he's gonna be back
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,761

Post#742 » by And1Skip » Sun Oct 9, 2022 3:23 pm

Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Davey0 wrote:Maybe a new topic on Schneider, "should he stay or should he go" would do well?

100% go. He's not an MLB manager. He might be a good player development coach to keep in the minors, but he's too stupid to make in-game decisions at the major league level.

Another mistake Schneider made was not bringing in Jackey Bradley Jr. over Tapia in LF for defensive reasons. The ball went in and out of his glove for Tapia on a bad read in the 6th Inning, that could have allowed Gausman to escape that Inning 8-1, if you had JBJ in there in LF.

Tapia also could not come up with another catch later in the game when Bass was pitching, that would come to hurt us.
It made no sense not to have the superior defensive outfielder in LF in JBJ over Tapia, when you are protecting the lead. Hopefully, along with Schneider, I am hoping I do not have to see Tapia ever again in a Blue Jays Uniform playing Defense in the outfield.

I agree though what would have happened was JBJ would have gone to CF, Springer to RF and Teoscar to LF. Though as bad as Teoscar is defensively, he has good days and bad days and since he's hit 2 hr's already, maybe he wouldn't make those same multiple mistakes that Tapia made in LF, and that big inning from the Mariners would have been avoided.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,761

Post#743 » by And1Skip » Sun Oct 9, 2022 3:50 pm

My other beef is how Bass has been treated since acquiring him. Yes, he is to blame for his terrible pitching yesterday (though Tapia didn't help him) but this guy up to trade deadline was one of the best relief pitchers in baseball. Jays trade for him and was never used in a high leverage role, mostly in semi leverage situations in 6th inning or 1 batter or two to finish up an inning in the 7th against righties. Then there was a period of like 2 weeks in September that they didn't use him at all without any reports of injury. They start using him again last week in low leverage situations and he wasn't good. Then again, up 4 runs in the 8th shouldn't have been considered that high leverage in the regular season but in a playoff game, its totally different. I would have left Garcia in for another inning before going to Romano. Bass has been always behind Cimber, Mayza and at times Richards in the BP pecking order so he's been pitching like that. Doesnt instill any confidence when you have a 1.5 ERA but your manager only uses against righties in the 6th inning all season.

Look at what Showalter did last night leaving Diaz in to pitch in the 8th after pitching the 7th, after the Mets went up 7-3. He saw what happened with the Jays.
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,289

Post#744 » by Mehar » Sun Oct 9, 2022 4:00 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:I don’t think many understand how epic a collapse that was in the history of the mlb postseason. The kind of loss that puts just about everything on the table for me.

I think many do understand how epic it was. Unfortunately I had to witness this horror show live from the stands. This collapse will sting for a long time. The whole stadium was shocked. However, congratulations to the Seattle Mariners for coming in and sweeping the 2 Games. That is baseball, especially if you have a Manager in the ClubHouse who has no business being a MLB manager. In terms of the roster Outside of Guerrero Jr, Manoah, and to a lesser extent Bichette (hopefully he is at Second Base next year) and Romano- nobody should be untouchable.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,603

Post#745 » by HangTime » Sun Oct 9, 2022 4:45 pm

After the wild pitch from Mayza, why didn't they put Santana on intentionally?
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,675

Post#746 » by johanliebert » Sun Oct 9, 2022 4:59 pm

The raptor fans have infiltrated with their sensationalism.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,675

Post#747 » by johanliebert » Sun Oct 9, 2022 5:01 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
100% go. He's not an MLB manager. He might be a good player development coach to keep in the minors, but he's too stupid to make in-game decisions at the major league level.

Another mistake Schneider made was not bringing in Jackey Bradley Jr. over Tapia in LF for defensive reasons. The ball went in and out of his glove for Tapia on a bad read in the 6th Inning, that could have allowed Gausman to escape that Inning 8-1, if you had JBJ in there in LF.

Tapia also could not come up with another catch later in the game when Bass was pitching, that would come to hurt us.
It made no sense not to have the superior defensive outfielder in LF in JBJ over Tapia, when you are protecting the lead. Hopefully, along with Schneider, I am hoping I do not have to see Tapia ever again in a Blue Jays Uniform playing Defense in the outfield.

Is that the only advanced metric you know of? Haha anything for your narrative.

First you guys will lie about tapia’s offence but then blame Bo for chasing down a fly ball.
We had Tapia in there for his blistering 90 wRC+ bat.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#748 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Oct 9, 2022 5:11 pm

johanliebert wrote:The raptor fans have infiltrated with their sensationalism.

Worst home playoff collapse in over a hundred years? check. 99% percent win probability in the sixth? check, 18-0 when scoring 9+ runs this year, check? won the last 54 games when up 9 but lose? check....but yeah blame Raptor fans for sensationalism :lol: this dude has always hated the Raptors.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#749 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Oct 9, 2022 5:32 pm

HangTime wrote:After the wild pitch from Mayza, why didn't they put Santana on intentionally?

Probably because they expected Dylan Moore (who mashes LHP) would have just pinch hit for the next guy (Kelenec), which he did anyway after the HR. At least that's what I was thinking at the time, but I suppose I can't guarantee that's what the idiot managing this team on the field was thinking.

The mistake was ultimately bringing Mayza in at all in that spot and expecting anything good to happen against any RHBs. Such a senseless, indefensible move and it cost the Jays their season.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,125

Post#750 » by Potential » Sun Oct 9, 2022 6:56 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:
Potential wrote:What's hilarious is every toronto sports fan seen this coming. I had absolutely no doubt in my mind they'd come back and win
If that's the case you'd be rich.

Well I only made $30 from a 2 dollar bet. I just wish I put more on the comeback and i could've been rich for sure. One of the 3 guarantees in life
Potential
RealGM

Post#751 » by Potential » Sun Oct 9, 2022 6:57 pm

Is Tim Scrubza still on the roster? Ross Atkins wtf are you doing
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,289

Post#752 » by Mehar » Sun Oct 9, 2022 7:02 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
HangTime wrote:After the wild pitch from Mayza, why didn't they put Santana on intentionally?

Probably because they expected Dylan Moore (who mashes LHP) would have just pinch hit for the next guy (Kelenec), which he did anyway after the HR. At least that's what I was thinking at the time, but I suppose I can't guarantee that's what the idiot managing this team on the field was thinking.

The mistake was ultimately bringing Mayza in at all in that spot and expecting anything good to happen against any RHBs. Such a senseless, indefensible move and it cost the Jays their season.

Our idiot manager did not learn from his decision from just over a week ago, when Mayza was brought in and gave up Home Run 61 to Aaron Judge.The same questions were asked by posters in this forum and even by some reporters after the game, on why have Mayza pitch to Judge given Mayza's stats against Righties? Schneider gave his usual nonsensical answer after that game.

Some people state that "Analytics" are the ones making the decisions for the manager. However, no Analytics supports the fetish of Schneider bringing in Mayza on numerous times to face Righties, including yesterday that cost us the season. There was simply no justification to have Mayza in, since Gausman should have been allowed to finish that Inning. Otherwise, you bring in Adam Cimber or Garcia in that situation if you want to remove Gausman. It sucks to see two very good offensive Jays teams this year and last year, being let down by Mickey Mouse Managers in the Clubhouse, and a bullpen assembled by Shapiro and Atkins that failed to get the job done.

I am not too sure how much excited I will be about next year, if we have the same clown as our manager, and going into Year 8 of a Shapiro/Atkins Regime that has a 188 million payroll (substantially higher than Seattle, Rays, and Cleveland); but whose farm system lacks depth in a very tough division when Baltimore and Boston will surely be better. The pitching depth is a disgrace, when you have to rely on guys like Casey Lawrence and Trent Thornton, and sign scrubs like Sergio Romo and give them a shot. I guess we will wait and see what transpires in the off-season. On a final note Randle, it was great chatting with intelligent posters like you all year, including the many others in the forum also whose baseball instincts were a lot better than the Mickey Mouse Managers we employed. Wish everyone in this forum all the best as 2022 comes to a close, even though this epic collapse will sting for a while. Enjoy the rest of the playoffs (if any of you will still be watching). Take care.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,807

Post#753 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 7:24 pm

Mehar wrote:I am not too sure how much excited I will be about next year, if we have the same clown as our manager, and going into Year 8 of a Shapiro/Atkins Regime that has a 188 million payroll (substantially higher than Seattle, Rays, and Cleveland); but whose farm system lacks depth in a very tough division when Baltimore and Boston will surely be better. The pitching depth is a disgrace, when you have to rely on guys like Casey Lawrence and Trent Thornton, and sign scrubs like Sergio Romo and give them a shot. I guess we will wait and see what transpires in the off-season. On a final note Randle, it was great chatting with intelligent posters like you all year, including the many others in the forum also whose baseball instincts were a lot better than the Mickey Mouse Managers we employed. Wish everyone in this forum all the best as 2022 comes to a close, even though this epic collapse will sting for a while. Enjoy the rest of the playoffs (if any of you will still be watching). Take care.

I love how when we fired AA, Shapiro announced to the world we'd have a minor league system to rival the Rays. So much for that. The guy is a clown and has produced the same lack of results here that he did in Cleveland. But the blame for that falls on Ed Rogers. **** that piece of **** so hard. I pray that someone can dig up some Sarver-esque dirt on him, forcing him to sell the team (I have no doubt the dirt exists).
Potential
RealGM

Post#754 » by Potential » Sun Oct 9, 2022 7:35 pm

DelAbbot wrote:Image

LOL
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,142

Post#755 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 9, 2022 7:39 pm

Potential wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:Image

LOL

it was all predestined
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#756 » by s e n s i » Sun Oct 9, 2022 10:24 pm

schneider's decision to not only pull gausman, but bring in the worst feasible option in that scenario is arguably the most spectacularly horrid decision I've seen from a jays manager in my lifetime. even montoyo doesn't do that for **** sakes.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#757 » by agkagk » Sun Oct 9, 2022 10:50 pm

s e n s i wrote:schneider's decision to not only pull gausman, but bring in the worst feasible option in that scenario is arguably the most spectacularly horrid decision I've seen from a jays manager in my lifetime. even montoyo doesn't do that for **** sakes.

Schneider literally went out of his way to make every bad decision possible.

Started with rookie manoah getting the game one nod over the veteran Gausman and just compounded from there.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,807

Post#758 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 9, 2022 11:03 pm

agkagk wrote:
s e n s i wrote:schneider's decision to not only pull gausman, but bring in the worst feasible option in that scenario is arguably the most spectacularly horrid decision I've seen from a jays manager in my lifetime. even montoyo doesn't do that for **** sakes.

Schneider literally went out of his way to make every bad decision possible.

Started with rookie manoah getting the game one nod over the veteran Gausman and just compounded from there.

Starting Manoah was fine. He was our best pitcher throughout the season and he deserved it. In fact, that was likely a decision by the FO. He also kept us in the game. A 4-0 deficit isn't insurmountable (as we found out).

But everything that happened yesterday was on Schneider.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#759 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Oct 9, 2022 11:22 pm

The pinch hitting for Kirk with runners on in the 9th inning for a random scrub to bunt thing might be dumber overall, but it doesn't rank with Schneider's in terms of sheer impact.

The guy literally chose the worst possible option he could in a situation where the Jays could have effectively locked up victory and an option that had burned him repeatedly in similar situations against RHBs over the past few months. So, so bad.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#760 » by s e n s i » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:51 am

jamie campbell is actually great but how tone deaf do you need to be to wear mariners colours on MLB central the day after that debacle. come on brother.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).

Return to Toronto Blue Jays