Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Still can't believe it man... :nonono: :noway:
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Re: PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds 

Post#722 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:47 pm

It's not that they lost, I think they would've lost game 3 anyway and if by some miracle they won game 3, the Astros would've probably swept them or 4-1'd them. They are too inconsistent, too imbalanced, too streaky, they make too many mistakes, too overconfident to ever be a real contender. It's HOW they lost that gets me, I read that it's the worst home collapse in the playoffs in 113 years or something like that, not sure if that's true but still a loss that can ruin a clubhouse.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#723 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:48 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

People are saying Schneider forgot Santana was a switch hitter, if thats true then :nonono:. It's gonna be hard for me to get over this if I was Gausman, you pay him ace money but you don't trust him to get one out, up 8-1, when he already got two outs...in an elimination game?
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#724 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:52 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Davey0 wrote:Maybe a new topic on Schneider, "should he stay or should he go" would do well?

100% go. He's not an MLB manager. He might be a good player development coach to keep in the minors, but he's too stupid to make in-game decisions at the major league level.

It looked like the postseason was too big for him, overmanaging and panicking like a mofo.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,199

Post#725 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 9, 2022 1:59 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:This loss hurts because it was embarrassing. But I honestly had zero confidence they would have taken game 3, even with Strip on the mound. The Jays playoff loss years ago sucks more because I genuinely felt that they could win it all. These guys, nah. Too young, pitching way too shaky. Hell, they had a much better chance last year imo if they managed to make it to October. Not too sure how good they’ll be next year really.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat. It's a demoralizing way to lose, but I never really bought into this team as a real contender. I'm pretty much over it already. The 2015 loss to the Royals still bothers me because that Jays team had the best run diff in the league by like 100 runs, but ultimately succumbed to Royals luck/magic and some awful calls in key spots.

Yeah, nothing may ever be as crushing as the 2015 loss just due to the quality of that team. That was one of the best teams in decades in baseball and the Royals were nowhere near their level.

This particular Jays team this year was good and very talented in some ways but deeply flawed in others. We were always just hoping to find some luck in October and we very much got the opposite.

over the entire regular season 2015
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#726 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:00 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Davey0 wrote:Maybe a new topic on Schneider, "should he stay or should he go" would do well?

100% go. He's not an MLB manager. He might be a good player development coach to keep in the minors, but he's too stupid to make in-game decisions at the major league level.

"That's what I look for in a manager - take my orders and don't use their brain"
GSK
Senior
And1: 218

Post#727 » by GSK » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:00 pm

Vladdy said before this season began last year was the trailer and this year is going to be the movie....yeah and it turned out to be a horror show.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,925

Post#728 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:01 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:It's not that they lost, I think they would've lost game 3 anyway and if by some miracle they won game 3, the Astros would've probably swept them or 4-1'd them. They are too inconsistent, too imbalanced, too streaky, they make too many mistakes, too overconfident to ever be a real contender. It's HOW they lost that gets me, I read that it's the worst home collapse in the playoffs in 113 years or something like that, not sure if that's true but still a loss that can ruin a clubhouse.

It's true. Worst collapse by a home team in MLB history. Ouch.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#729 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:04 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Lmao, we're hanging a banner up for this season. **** bush league.

Blew Jays
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#730 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:05 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
Read on Twitter

People are saying Schneider forgot Santana was a switch hitter, if thats true then :nonono:. It's gonna be hard for me to get over this if I was Gausman, you pay him ace money but you don't trust him to get one out, up 8-1, when he already got two outs...in an elimination game?

If he did then that's a fireable offense right there. You are paying Gausman top money to be in these types of situations, why pull him up by 7 and with 93 pitches and knowing he got the last two batters out (SO and pop-up). You bring in a lefty to face Santana who is a good hitter and can bat right?? Just doesn't make sense at all.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#731 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:08 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Lmao, we're hanging a banner up for this season. **** bush league.

Lmao. Means nothing to me. Bush league indeed. The season was a failure. You spend all this money in the off-season to win a championship, not to get bounced out of the wild card series in 2 straight games and at home at that.
DelAbbot
RealGM

Post#732 » by DelAbbot » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:09 pm

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,252

Post#733 » by LLJ » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:21 pm

TOStateofMind wrote:This game/series sucked but yeah it really doesn’t compare to the ALCS vs the royals. Game 2 and 6 still stings. With this particular team all the issues we saw during the year pretty much came to rear it’s ugly head in the short 2 games.

Yeah realistically I doubt most of the hardcore fans really believed in this team anyway. Even the September crowds were not exactly as hyped up as they were in 2015. In the back of our minds, we knew we needed this team to get really hot and really lucky to get far.

It's how we lost that stings though. You never want to lose in such a historically bad way. If we had just lost both games 4-1 or something we could have dealt with the futility. But we were up 8-1 at home! The Leafs still have those epic Game 7 collapses to the Bruins hanging over their heads to this day. This **** just stays with an organization for years and years.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#734 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:27 pm

I don’t think many understand how epic a collapse that was in the history of the mlb postseason. The kind of loss that puts just about everything on the table for me.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,108

Post#735 » by Schad » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:30 pm

Ranger One wrote:
Corinne wrote:Good season time to move on

Time to move on from Toronto Sports period.

Can we hold you to that?
**** your asterisk.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#736 » by Michael Bradley » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:35 pm

Mehar wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Another mistake Schneider made was not bringing in Jackey Bradley Jr. over Tapia in LF for defensive reasons. The ball went in and out of his glove for Tapia on a bad read in the 6th Inning, that could have allowed Gausman to escape that Inning 8-1, if you had JBJ in there in LF.

Tapia also could not come up with another catch later in the game when Bass was pitching, that would come to hurt us.
It made no sense not to have the superior defensive outfielder in LF in JBJ over Tapia, when you are protecting the lead. Hopefully, along with Schneider, I am hoping I do not have to see Tapia ever again in a Blue Jays Uniform playing Defense in the outfield.

Agreed. Pulling Gausman for Mayza was the worst move, but the Tapia decision hurt as well. I know the Jays think Tapia is a good offensive player (he's not), but why would they bring him in when the score is 8-1 instead of the best defensive OF on the team? Even if the Jays (ignorantly) felt Tapia was going to help them offensively, they were already up 7 with like a 99% chance of winning the game by the time they had to replace Merrifield.

It was just a really poorly managed game all around. Losing Game 1 was fine. Just tip your cap to Luis Castillo. But Game 2 was embarrassing and a horrible way to end the season, mainly because it was completely avoidable.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#737 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:41 pm

The Jays have now joined the leafs in historically embarrassing collapses in the postseason, hopefully the Raptors don't join them anytime soon. Toronto sports man lmfao, only thing you can do is shake your head and laugh at the whole thing.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#738 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:43 pm

There was also something about this team that rubs me the wrong way right from the jump, some of them seem to like to talk too much without even winning one playoff game. They took a giant humble pie right in the face tonight, hopefully they learn from it.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,246

Post#739 » by C Court » Sun Oct 9, 2022 2:52 pm

The loss doesn’t bother me as much as others in large part because I never really believed in this team.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,926

Post#740 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Oct 9, 2022 3:13 pm

Still disgusted

Return to Toronto Blue Jays