Your 2009 St. Louis Cardinals

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Your 2009 St. Louis Cardinals 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:59 pm

P-D columnist Jeff Gordon looks ahead to 2009

I've been looking ahead to 2009 since last summer...the Cardinals are going to free up a bunch of salary space this winter. In addition to the guys Gordon mentions (Encarnacion, Izzy, Looper, Mulder), there's also most of Edmonds' last year, plus Spiezio. Maybe a few others that I'm forgetting. I guess you can throw Izturis and Lohse in there, if they don't come back.

It's really helpful that the Cardinals appear able to fill next year's bullpen with in-house guys. The outfield looks set, especially if Rasmus is ready by April. The real key is getting Carpenter back in the starting rotation.

St. Louis could have an extra $30 million-plus to spend this winter, and no gaping holes to fill other than second base/shortstop (although another good starting pitcher couldn't hurt). Bring in a big-dollar middle infielder, plus a mid-level guy who can play whichever position the first guy doesn't play (but only if he is an upgrade on Brendan Ryan), and if all goes right the Cardinals could be very, very good next year. :pray:

Return to St. Louis Cardinals