ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G1 - Mavs @ Thunder (Tuesd., 9:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,743

Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G1 - Mavs @ Thunder (Tuesd., 9:30PMEST) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Sat May 4, 2024 10:56 pm

- Maxi out for the season it looks like :( . Absolutely devastating, he kind of basically won a game for the Mavs when he got hot and he played good defense (Harden end of floaters yet to be explained as far as what was supposed to happen there collectively).

- OKC at full strength and well rested --- one thing that I noticed is that Giddey was left wide open in the regular season but seems like he was shooting well in r1, so that could be a problem.

The Thunder are favorites with the bookies.

Game schedule
Date Matchup Time (CT) TV
May 7 (Tues.) Game 1: Dallas at Oklahoma City 8:30 p.m. TNT
May 9 (Thurs.) Game 2: Dallas at Oklahoma City 8:30 p.m. ESPN
May 11 (Sat.) Game 3: Oklahoma City at Dallas 2:30 p.m. ABC
May 13 (Mon.) Game 4: Oklahoma City at Dallas 8:30 p.m. TNT
May 15 (Wed.) Game 5: Dallas at Oklahoma City* TBD TBD
May 18 (Sat.) Game 6: Oklahoma City at Dallas* 7:30 p.m. ESPN
May 20 (Mon.) Game 7: Dallas at Oklahoma City* 7:30 p.m. TNT
60/21/10
blueberrysticky
Analyst
And1: 48

Re: Playoffs 2024 - R2 - G1 - Mavs @ Thunder (Tuesd., 9:30PMEST) 

Post#2 » by blueberrysticky » Sat May 4, 2024 11:08 pm

Can the mavs go small-ball w/o Maxi?

Is Luka going to be closer to 100%?

My big question is what kind of lineup can the mavs run out if they choose to not have 1 of Gafford or Lively out there? And also is it even a good idea to do that for any stretch of the game with Maxi out?
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#3 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 11:18 pm

blueberrysticky wrote:Can the mavs go small-ball w/o Maxi?

My big question is what kind of lineup can the mavs run out if they choose to not have 1 of Gafford or Lively out there? And also is it even a good idea to do that for any stretch of the game with Maxi out?

We don't need to go small ball, our centers will be a mismatch for them. Lively and Gafford need to be in for a combined 48 minutes.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,164

Post#4 » by GermanFan120 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:37 am

Gafford and Lively to dominate the rebounds in this game!

Mavs will send a statement for a double digits win!
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,844

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 5, 2024 3:24 am

The Maxi news really suck...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 862

Post#6 » by kacey ring » Sun May 5, 2024 3:30 am

Hard to draw any conclusions on how this playoff series will go based off the Mavs-Thunder regular season matchups. Thunder went 3-1 against us, but the first game was pre-Gafford/PJ, another was without Luka, and the last game was against our B squad.

I did rewatch most of the February matchup, which was Gaff and PJs first game as Mavs. Maxi started and had 12p/12r. Josh Green was a starter too. Lively missed the game.

My main takeaways from the game were our defensive assignments:

-Our 5 man was always taking Giddey, but kept one foot in the paint. Always looking to clog lanes for SGA drives or keep Chet from having an easy roll to the basket
-DJJ or THJ or PJ would guard Chet.
-Luka was on Jdub
-Kai was on Dort
-Josh Green was on SGA. DJJ guarded him at times too.

Obviously Green is no longer a starter, so I suspect DJJ will be on SGA, but Josh will be leaned upon to guard SGA a lot.

It seems Gafford will be on Giddey, where I originally thought Luka would be. I could still see Luka on Giddey depending on how his knee is doing. Then PJ will be on Chet.

Watch for Dort pressing Luka full court anytime he brings the ball up. Will need to lean on others to initiate the offense to give Luka some breaks.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,887

Post#7 » by dirkules_41 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:33 am

It's a terrible idea. One of the two should always be out there and we gotta play big and capitalise on our advantage at C against OKC.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#8 » by MassimoPayne » Sun May 5, 2024 6:59 am

Maxi news really suck. I also have a feeling the aac really likes it when he of all people hits a 3.

But don't overreact. If Kidd does not decide to replace his minutes with Powell are we fine.
I expect more PJ at the 4. He can play the same role as Maxi. More djj at the 3. And more exum minutes as a result at 1/2
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Post#9 » by tleikheen » Sun May 5, 2024 7:38 am

OKC likes to pressure you before the half court and the top of the key. Break them consistently and you'll be lob city with Gaff and DLive. This is going to be more a Exum and Green type of series . More speed ,more athleticism will be evident from the start.
Dort , SGA JDub , & Holmgren are better on the perimeter than the Clippers perimeter players. Expect a harder double team on Luka and Kyrie. Exum doesn't need to star just help w'ballhandling because Luka and Kyrie are the best 2some in the playoffs.
Andri
Junior
And1: 273

Post#10 » by Andri » Sun May 5, 2024 9:11 am

Maxi won't be as needed in this series as IF Mavs advance to the next vs either Wolves or Denver. Long shot still
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 5, 2024 6:23 pm

Mavs are undefeated this playoffs, when they play at night. So we're going to win this series in 5 games.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Sun May 5, 2024 7:02 pm

We're the underdogs in the series.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Post#13 » by Archx » Sun May 5, 2024 7:22 pm

Andri wrote:Maxi won't be as needed in this series as IF Mavs advance to the next vs either Wolves or Denver. Long shot still

You still have to rest PJ. Who's replacing him in the lineup? The only options are Kief and Powell now.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 5, 2024 7:48 pm

Archx wrote:
Andri wrote:Maxi won't be as needed in this series as IF Mavs advance to the next vs either Wolves or Denver. Long shot still

You still have to rest PJ. Who's replacing him in the lineup? The only options are Kief and Powell now.

O-Max (although he has an ankle) but I know, rookie. So is Lively.

Archx
RealGM

Post#15 » by Archx » Sun May 5, 2024 8:30 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Archx wrote:

O-Max (although he has an ankle) but I know, rookie. So is Lively.

It's too late for Kidd to experiment with OMax anyway. But that's why you don't play washed up veterans during the season instead you develop young guns.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#16 » by MassimoPayne » Sun May 5, 2024 8:40 pm

I think (and hope) the rotation will get smaller. Maxis minutes will be taken over from PJ, DJJ, Exum und Green.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,177

Post#17 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 5, 2024 9:58 pm

The 5 out lineup would be Luka / Kyrie / Exum, Green, or THJ / DJJ / PJ. Which is a downgrade without Maxi.

But we probably won’t see that much. Gafford/Lively are 48 minutes of great rim threat on offense and rim protection on defense and a size mismatch on the boards for a small thunder team. Gafford is not slow footed for a 5 but lively is quick on his feet and will step out to guard Chet.
Archx
RealGM

Post#18 » by Archx » Sun May 5, 2024 10:32 pm

BeiBeau wrote:

The 5 out lineup would be Luka / Kyrie / Exum, Green, or THJ / DJJ / PJ. Which is a downgrade without Maxi.

But we probably won’t see that much. Gafford/Lively are 48 minutes of great rim threat on offense and rim protection on defense and a size mismatch on the boards for a small thunder team. Gafford is not slow footed for a 5 but lively is quick on his feet and will step out to guard Chet.

I see DJJ gets mentioned a lot. Keep in mind guys, DJJ will be a primary SGA defender, so Kidd won't experiment with him. Which effectively leaves only PJ as a versatile big guy.

Exum has been borderline unplayable and while Green has been very good, he's still undersized, so you can't use him as a PF with PJ at center.

No Maxi means a ton of problems for Mavs and i am very interested to see how Kidd will manage this. Time to prove yourself as a real coach.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,177

Post#19 » by BeiBeau » Mon May 6, 2024 1:58 am

Archx wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

I see DJJ gets mentioned a lot. Keep in mind guys, DJJ will be a primary SGA defender, so Kidd won't experiment with him. Which effectively leaves only PJ as a versatile big guy.

Exum has been borderline unplayable and while Green has been very good, he's still undersized, so you can't use him as a PF with PJ at center.

No Maxi means a ton of problems for Mavs and i am very interested to see how Kidd will manage this. Time to prove yourself as a real coach.

Dallas is going to have to get something more out of Exum, THJ, or Green to win this series.

And Luka is going to have to play to his RS standard.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,932

Post#20 » by arkuo » Mon May 6, 2024 2:23 am

Is there anything left in Morris to play bench minutes now that Maxi is out?

Return to Dallas Mavericks