ImageImageImage

Around the league -- Mavs board edition

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,629

Re: Around the league -- Mavs board edition 

Post#881 » by Maverick41 » Mon May 20, 2024 7:14 am

agentofatlas wrote:I think the gameplan on offense will be to hunt Conley down rather than Rudy.

That will be the gameplan but knowing Luka, he's gonna want Rudy.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 847

Post#882 » by Darren » Mon May 20, 2024 11:13 am

I think the Mavs need to focus on smaller achievable goals. When both teams are competing, the difference of teams is not all that huge. Maybe 10 points per game. There's always way to bridge the gap. The whole team needs something to believe in. The Mavs would better find it in game 1. Or else, the morale will be gone rather quickly. To take game 1 is important to make it a long series.
Darren
RealGM

Post#883 » by Darren » Mon May 20, 2024 11:15 am

To win it all, this is the year. Wait until VW and.Chet are ready, then the chances are getting slim.
Darren
RealGM

Post#884 » by Darren » Mon May 20, 2024 11:18 am

But I think this is a huge opportunity for growth and make a name for yourself. It's good to stay underrated. Growth on a fly to surprise everyone.
Darren
RealGM

Post#885 » by Darren » Mon May 20, 2024 12:54 pm

Let's look at film to see if you can elevate Luka and Kyrie's game. Luka has to be effective defended by Wiggins. Kyrie has to be effective defended by J Will. The frontcourt has to hold their own against Gobert and KAT. The team need to shoot better than Minny from deep.

I expect more chance for Hardy coming. I want to see how Green go against Edward's and Lively against both Gobert and KAT. Stay out of foul troubles but keep their engines in check. Technically, Minny has 7-8 players including Alexander, Reid and Anderson. The Mavs has no answer against Reid and KAT since the preseason.

This is the team that blows out the Mavs twice since pre-season. It looks like a graduation series for Lively against the same team.

Both Edward's and Luka are making leap since the playoffs. This is also a graduation series for Luka since being defeated by Wiggins and GSW without much resistance.

The X-factor is actually Kyrie. Can Kyrie bounce back in a huge way from last series? Kyrie should be very familiar with Conley's defense. If they put McDaniels on Kyrie, then someone would be left off with size advantage.

DJJ and Washington have not guarded an elite shooting big thus far. Will they overcome the size deficit? I think the Mavs need the duo to guard Webayama for years to come. Maybe Lively may take some turns as well. Size disadvantage has not been very kind to Gafford so far. Can Gafford hold his own against Minny's big.
Darren
RealGM

Post#886 » by Darren » Mon May 20, 2024 12:57 pm

Maybe somebody can learn to take a charge. Caruso guards Giannis pretty well with charge. Can the Mavs narrows the driving lanes and set a trap to Edward's in the blind spot? This tactic somehow works out in Milwaukee-Chicago series last few years ago.

If you're able to take away Edward's, it's much easier to set up defense.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,127

Post#887 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 1:37 pm

Read on Twitter
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,047

Post#888 » by tleikheen » Mon May 20, 2024 2:25 pm

I didn't think Mavs could beat out the Nuggets but I don't think that with the Timberwolves.

Timberwolves were assembled to beat the Nuggets and they did . Rudy Gobert was not played off the court and they would have lost if they sat him down. Gobert led in plus minus for the series against the Nuggets in the 7 game series.
But Mavs are different ,they win with their guards, If McDaniels is on Luka ,he will be in foul trouble alot . His 6'9" /185# body will be manhandled by Luka and Kyrie will be unleashed on the smaller Conley.
Trying to dbl team them with Edwards will leave a lot of wide open shots from the 3 pt line as KAT and Gobert can't move as easily out there . In this series ,I'll take Luka and Kyrie guard play over the bigs of Minnesota.

Mavs in 6 games.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#889 » by tleikheen » Mon May 20, 2024 2:43 pm

When Minnesota sees McDaniels can't slow down Luka ,Edwards will want to guard him ...... Giving up 3's in height to Luka is not like guarding Murray who is the same height as Ant is.This is going to be Minnesota's problem all series.
Turning it around ....Ant Edwards will be guarded by a slam dunk champion,DJJ that he wont be able to out jump going to the basket.No one will shut down Ant but Derek Jones Jr is better defensively guarding Ant than anyone Denver had.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,342

Post#890 » by Archx » Mon May 20, 2024 3:08 pm

Yeah.. if only it was that easy :lol:
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#891 » by tleikheen » Mon May 20, 2024 5:15 pm

You dont talk much basketball do you ,just snide remarks to show what little you know ,which is little
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,342

Post#892 » by Archx » Tue May 21, 2024 1:48 am

tleikheen wrote:

You dont talk much basketball do you ,just snide remarks to show what little you know ,which is little

Look what i wrote before LAC series what would it take to win. Most of it was true. I voted Mavs in 6 vs LAC. Then i had Mavs in 6 over OKC... I wrote again what it would take vs Wolves to win. I also provide a lot of statistics to prove my points.

Your entire premise and prediction is based on the fact that McDaniels won't be able to guard Luka. In reality, him and Dort (historically) actually gave Luka the most problems in the past. You're also disregarding the fact that Wolves are insanely athletic and can cover any position with ease. They just knocked out current champs and the best player in the NBA.

Luka Doncic has averaged 26.1 points, 7.4 assists and 7.1 rebounds in 8 games versus Jaden McDaniels in his career on 44% shooting.

Can a hobbled Luka do better this time? We'll see... i would like to be wrong.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,255

Post#893 » by GermanFan120 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:51 am

GermanFan120 wrote:I am making my predictions now before playoffs begins: (just for fun)

3 NBA final outcomes in the following particular order:

1) Jokic vs. Embiid in the final
2) Nuggets will beat the Celtics in the final
3) Mavs will lose to the Celtics in the final

I hope I am wrong.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,172

Post#894 » by ozwizard8 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:35 am

tleikheen wrote:When Minnesota sees McDaniels can't slow down Luka ,Edwards will want to guard him ...... Giving up 3's in height to Luka is not like guarding Murray who is the same height as Ant is.This is going to be Minnesota's problem all series.
Turning it around ....Ant Edwards will be guarded by a slam dunk champion,DJJ that he wont be able to out jump going to the basket.No one will shut down Ant but Derek Jones Jr is better defensively guarding Ant than anyone Denver had.

It was like this, indeed. Luka didn't even allowed much pressure on the dribble. He made sure he put his body in between and just operated as if it were a post-play. I see they tried some Slo-Mo and Naz Reid on him but didn't work much. They may try KAT more. Perhaps they might bench Gobert and run with Naz Reid and put him on Luka too. I dont think it'd create much difference unless refs allow to much fouls.

They dont have answer for Luka nor Kyrie. Actually, with their current strategy of 'not giving up 3s', all our guards who can penetrate is feasting. Even Hardy made like 4 assists in a short time.

They'll most likely opt-out from this going forward. The defensive scheme against Luka with Gobert being on court cant be drop coverage without heavy help, and blitzing.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,172

Post#895 » by ozwizard8 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:41 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:I am making my predictions now before playoffs begins: (just for fun)

3 NBA final outcomes in the following particular order:

1) Jokic vs. Embiid in the final
2) Nuggets will beat the Celtics in the final
3) Mavs will lose to the Celtics in the final

I hope I am wrong.

Those green fuc*kers are going from EASIEST ROUTE ever.

All of Celtics' opponents suck, and on top of that, they lose their best player (Butler-Mitchell-Allen). Hopefully Pacers can win some games to tire them out and force KP to play few games.

Lets see if REFS adjust to help Wolves. If not Mavs are doing fine. Its a sustainable and good basketball on both ends. Kidd is doing fine job. The roster gel even more. Green-PJ-DJJ all shooting with confidence in those corner 3s. PJ-DJJ attacking to close outs. Gafford-Lively duo is crazy good. Its like having two mini Tyson Chandlers. Anyone recall how Mavs fans would feel when T.Chandler get in a foul problem? Having both Gafford and Lively is crazy. There is always a fresh big man ready to play C. First time in Luka's career. Unreal additions to this roster. A year ago, I wouldn't even think we could get one of those.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896

Post#896 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 23, 2024 6:48 am

I would appreciate Carlisle not throwing away any more games. Thank you.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#897 » by GermanFan120 » Thu May 23, 2024 8:47 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:I would appreciate Carlisle not throwing away any more games. Thank you.

If somehow some way Mavs make it to the final, I'd rather them facing Celtics than Pacers who are experts beating us.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#898 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:27 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:I would appreciate Carlisle not throwing away any more games. Thank you.

If somehow some way Mavs make it to the final, I'd rather them facing Celtics than Pacers who are experts beating us.

I don't think there are problems about it, that series is almost over.
4-0/4-1 unless Boston will choke both road games... And i doubt it will happen.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach

Post#899 » by GermanFan120 » Fri May 24, 2024 2:41 am

41Dirk41 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I mean the Wolves can still advance to the final even after Mavs manage to win 4 games against them, right? :roll:
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#900 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri May 24, 2024 3:12 am

GermanFan120 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:
GermanFan120 wrote:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, I mean the Wolves can still advance to the final even after Mavs manage to win 4 games against them, right? :roll:

Yes :wink:

I only want to say that i prefer a Carlisle team plays the Finals over a midget soft and overrated team like the Celtics.
The Media gave us them like NBA Champions from day1 of this season. Bleah.

Return to Dallas Mavericks