Around the league -- Mavs board edition

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Re: Around the league -- Mavs board edition 

Post#821 » by GermanFan120 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:
MassimoPayne wrote:I suspect Nuggets are coming back and generating the mental state out of that to win another championship

Still my take

Why you hate Nuggets and Joker so much? They are quite a likeable team tbh.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,244

Post#822 » by GermanFan120 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:41 pm

Can anyone explain to me why DJJ was unwanted by many teams until us? I mean he is still super young and his contract is minimum...
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896

Post#823 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:36 am

[quote="GermanFan120"]Can anyone explain to me why DJJ was unwanted by many teams until us? I mean he is still super young and his contract is minimum...[/quote]

He fits like a glove in our S5.
Probably having Luka and Kyrie help a lot.

His biggest problems were 3 points %, continuity, and a lot of little injuries.

He wanted to stay here so i don't see problems. He will resign for sure.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,331

Post#824 » by BeiBeau » Thu May 16, 2024 5:43 pm

GermanFan120 wrote:Can anyone explain to me why DJJ was unwanted by many teams until us? I mean he is still super young and his contract is minimum...

Most teams don’t have the offensive engine of Lukai to make a poor offensive player into a passable offensive player.

And there truly is a finite amount of money in free agency. In free agency the stars get max contract extensions and sign into cap space. Maybe a few mid level guys get signed into the cap space. But after that players are competing for the mid level exception but there are only about a 12-18 mid level exceptions to go around each year. Then players compete for the TMLE or the BAE(TMLE used to be better than BAE but now they’re about the same), but again only about 10-15 of those. After that players are practically forced into minimums because there that’s all anything anybody really has.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,213

Post#825 » by Mavrelous » Thu May 16, 2024 7:06 pm

Mavs legend Campazzu
Read on Twitter
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,033

Post#826 » by Dirk » Thu May 16, 2024 7:21 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Mavs legend Campazzu
Read on Twitter

That's crazy. Some players really can be productive in Europe, but suck in the NBA. He was so bad for the Mavs that he had to "retire from the NBA".

Lets hope Exum finds something because he's looking like Camazzo a bit too much.
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#827 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 17, 2024 3:39 am

Wolves are back! Game 7 Sunday.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#828 » by Archx » Fri May 17, 2024 10:07 am

Mavrelous wrote:Wolves are back! Game 7 Sunday.

In a potential WCF matchup, i fear Wolves more than Denver. They are covered on every single position (offense and defense). And i honestly don't know how Mavs could overcome that. Obviously depends which version of Luka shows up but Wolves have a scary all around team.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#829 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 17, 2024 10:15 am

Archx wrote:

In a potential WCF matchup, i fear Wolves more than Denver. They are covered on every single position (offense and defense). And i honestly don't know how Mavs could overcome that. Obviously depends which version of Luka shows up but Wolves have a scary all around team.

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think the Wolves are significantly easier to defend than the Nuggets, they defend the Mavs better than the Nuggets, but not enough to offset.
If Mavs make it out of the this series in 6, I have them favourites against the Wolves, but underdogs against the Nuggets.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#830 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 17, 2024 10:18 am

Dirk wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Mavs legend Campazzu
Read on Twitter

That's crazy. Some players really can be productive in Europe, but suck in the NBA. He was so bad for the Mavs that he had to "retire from the NBA".

Lets hope Exum finds something because he's looking like Camazzo a bit too much.

Exum was good in RS, Campazzou wasn't good anywhere in the NBA.
Non scoring PGs, who are bad at defense, are very hard to fit, and if they make it in RS, in the PO, it's merciless, they will be sagged off, ignored on offense and played off the floor.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,334

Post#831 » by Archx » Fri May 17, 2024 10:30 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think the Wolves are significantly easier to defend than the Nuggets, they defend the Mavs better than the Nuggets, but not enough to offset.
If Mavs make it out of the this series in 6, I have them favourites against the Wolves, but underdogs against the Nuggets.

Hm, interesting. Wolves have McDaniels, ANT and maybe someone else they could rotate to defend Kyrie/Luka combo. Plus, they have KAT/Gobert to cover the paint. Matchup wise, Wolves would be a nightmare from that perspective. And we know Naz turns into Dirk anytime Mavs play them.

Nuggets on the other hand have nothing for Luka or Kyrie. With Murray also being injured, Kyrie probably wouldn't have a difficult job defending him. Joker is good enough on his own to win games but overall, you stop MPJ and Gordon and you're already in a good spot. Murray basically cancelled himself out lol...
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,734

Post#832 » by Bob8 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:35 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

I would rather have Nuggets. They're more or less similarly good, but potentially beating Champions would be much more satisfying.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#833 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 17, 2024 10:52 am

Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

I would rather have Nuggets. They're more or less similarly good, but potentially beating Champions would be much more satisfying.

I don't have them as similarly good, especially for the Mavs.

Conference finals start Wednesday, May 22nd, if Mavs fail to win game 6, they'll have to win game 7 in OKC on Monday and travel straight to DEN or MIN.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#834 » by Bob8 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:57 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

I don't have them as similarly good, especially for the Mavs.

Conference finals start Wednesday, May 22nd, if Mavs fail to win game 6, they'll have to win game 7 in OKC on Monday and travel straight to DEN or MIN.

Maybe not starting 5, but Denver has no bench. And watching OKC series, I really don't want to see struggling Kyrie again, he would have much easier job against Nuggets.

But let's win game 6 first.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#835 » by Mavrelous » Fri May 17, 2024 11:04 am

Bob8 wrote:Maybe not starting 5, but Denver has no bench. And watching OKC series, I really don't want to see struggling Kyrie again, he would have much easier job against Nuggets.

Yeah, I don't want to jinx it.

For this series, Luka is sucking in Dort, Kyrie is sucking in JDub, and whoever of them is running the P&R he's sucking in extra help, Mavs are playing 3 on 2.5, usually going at SGA/Giddy, that's why they are able score well.
On the other end, Kyrie has defended JDub really really well.
Even without big numbers, Kyrie and Luka are very impactful.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#836 » by Bob8 » Fri May 17, 2024 11:26 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Maybe not starting 5, but Denver has no bench. And watching OKC series, I really don't want to see struggling Kyrie again, he would have much easier job against Nuggets.

Yeah, I don't want to jinx it.

For this series, Luka is sucking in Dort, Kyrie is sucking in JDub, and whoever of them is running the P&R he's sucking in extra help, Mavs are playing 3 on 2.5, usually going at SGA/Giddy, that's why they are able score well.
On the other end, Kyrie has defended JDub really really well.
Even without big numbers, Kyrie and Luka are very impactful.

Sure, but we will need Kyrie scoring a lot more in WCF and Nuggets don't have anyone to defend him and they can't protect the rim like Wolves can.
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#837 » by StoneIsland » Fri May 17, 2024 11:42 am

Archx wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:
Archx wrote:

Hm, interesting. Wolves have McDaniels, ANT and maybe someone else they could rotate to defend Kyrie/Luka combo. Plus, they have KAT/Gobert to cover the paint. Matchup wise, Wolves would be a nightmare from that perspective. And we know Naz turns into Dirk anytime Mavs play them.

Nuggets on the other hand have nothing for Luka or Kyrie. With Murray also being injured, Kyrie probably wouldn't have a difficult job defending him. Joker is good enough on his own to win games but overall, you stop MPJ and Gordon and you're already in a good spot. Murray basically cancelled himself out lol...

Alexander Walker and McDaniels are their main defenders with Ant being the third man, but mainly focused on offense. I wonder if the Utah tactics would work - get Gobert out on the three point line and attack the paint after that.
MassimoPayne
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#838 » by MassimoPayne » Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

This Nuggets loss should be a warning for the Mavs. Seemed like Nuggets would win this easily with their confidence and then they have lost in a blowout.
No situation I want to see for the Mavs
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#839 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 pm

MassimoPayne wrote:This Nuggets loss should be a warning for the Mavs. Seemed like Nuggets would win this easily with their confidence and then they have lost in a blowout.
No situation I want to see for the Mavs

Yeah but in Denver's case they have a 75% chance historically of winning Game 7 because it's at home, if we lose Game 6 we have a 25% historically of winning in OKC.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#840 » by ChipotleWest » Fri May 17, 2024 1:39 pm

Tim Hardaway Sr. going at Luka yet again. Has someone's dad ever talked so much smack about their son's boss publically before?

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Mavericks