THJ - Peja
Green - Brewer
Lively - Haywood
Powell - Mihinmi
Morris - Cardinal
Hardy - Roddy B
Lawson - Dante Jones
Maxi - Butler (out for POs)

Obviously better in some areas and weaker in others, but overall it looks like we are vastly missing an important piece of the puzzle that Barea filled back then.

Maybe we should be looking for that guy and Jamal Shead might just be him.

This is a really terrible method for team construction. But Jamal Snead is Patrick Beverly not JJ Barea.

I think Nico did a pretty good job of constructing this team. He put a bunch of defenders around 2 good scorers.
We just need a scorer/sparkplug off the bench.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,336

Re: 2024 Dallas Mavericks Draft Thread 

Post#22 » by BeiBeau » Sat May 18, 2024 5:11 pm

Teffer10 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Comparing this team with our only championship team:
Luka - Dirk
Kyrie - Terry
PJ - Marion
Gafford - TC
DJJ - Stevenson
Exum - Kidd
THJ - Peja
Green - Brewer
Lively - Haywood
Powell - Mihinmi
Morris - Cardinal
Hardy - Roddy B
Lawson - Dante Jones

Obviously better in some areas and weaker in others, but overall it looks like we are vastly missing an important piece of the puzzle that Barea filled back then.

This is a really terrible method for team construction. But Jamal Snead is Patrick Beverly not JJ Barea.

I think Nico did a pretty good job of constructing this team. He put a bunch of defenders around 2 good scorers.
We just need a scorer/sparkplug off the bench.

That I can agree with but trying to copy a Mavs team from 13 years isn’t it. If we’re looking for a spark of the bench Snead isn’t really the guy. Pelle Larson, Marcus Sears, and Cam Spencer would fit that mold the best.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#23 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:14 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:Comparing this team with our only championship team:
Luka - Dirk
Kyrie - Terry
PJ - Marion
Gafford - TC
DJJ - Stevenson
Exum - Kidd
THJ - Peja
Green - Brewer
Lively - Haywood
Powell - Mihinmi
Morris - Cardinal
Hardy - Roddy B
Lawson - Dante Jones

Please no. NO!!!

Last time someone wrote this kind of post the things went bad. Really bad. Stop. Please.

Cut the superstitious crap.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#24 » by BliscoSantos » Sun May 19, 2024 1:10 am

The mock drafts are very different from one to another so it's hard to figure out who's gonna be available..I like Djurisic, Ajinca, Ingram ,Reeves ,Ighodaro as Players that could be in their range...we'll see what magic Nico uses
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#25 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 19, 2024 3:39 am

BliscoSantos wrote:The mock drafts are very different from one to another so it's hard to figure out who's gonna be available..I like Djurisic, Ajinca, Ingram ,Reeves ,Ighodaro as Players that could be in their range...we'll see what magic Nico uses

Besides Reeves I don’t have any of those guys as likely to make a rotation early in their careers.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#26 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 19, 2024 3:50 am

I’m not going to fully break down Mark Sears any time soon. But he is Jalen Brunson without Jalen Brunson’s foul baiting skills and without Burnson’s footwork.

Which means he’s Jalen Brunson without Brunsons 2 most elite skills. If he hits he projects into a Tyus Jones type role.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by BliscoSantos » Sun May 19, 2024 1:05 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:The mock drafts are very different from one to another so it's hard to figure out who's gonna be available..I like Djurisic, Ajinca, Ingram ,Reeves ,Ighodaro as Players that could be in their range...we'll see what magic Nico uses

Besides Reeves I don’t have any of those guys as likely to make a rotation early in their careers.

Djurisic has been playing pro basketball for three years... he's 6'7 and can Play the SG or SF...he would need to learn to be better on D ,I don't think he'd be worse than THJ or Hardy on O... he's definetly more ready than Reeves...Ajinca also Played pro ball....the adjustmend period for Both would be shorter than for Hardy,Green and Omax
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#28 » by BeiBeau » Sun May 19, 2024 6:07 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Djurisic has been playing pro basketball for three years... he's 6'7 and can Play the SG or SF...he would need to learn to be better on D ,I don't think he'd be worse than THJ or Hardy on O... he's definetly more ready than Reeves...Ajinca also Played pro ball....the adjustmend period for Both would be shorter than for Hardy,Green and Omax

Djurisic hitting only 32.5% of his 3s and averaging 4 turnovers to go with his 4 assists makes me think he is not NBA ready at all, the counter argument to that though is if you and Nico think a smaller well define role and some development will make him into a significantly better player then he is right now. I could understand it.

Ajinca is a bit similar. I see the prototypical size and athleticism but I don’t see a level of production that will get him on the court.

With the last pick in a weak draft and with where Dallas is at right now I’m not trying to project players. I’m looking for players who have a solid foundational skill set and have experience applying that skill set productively to help their team win who can come in an provide 10 minutes a night.
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by BliscoSantos » Sun May 19, 2024 7:51 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Djurisic hitting only 32.5% of his 3s and averaging 4 turnovers to go with his 4 assists makes me think he is not NBA ready at all, the counter argument to that though is if you and Nico think a smaller well define role and some development will make him into a significantly better player then he is right now. I could understand it.

Ajinca is a bit similar. I see the prototypical size and athleticism but I don’t see a level of production that will get him on the court.

With the last pick in a weak draft and with where Dallas is at right now I’m not trying to project players. I’m looking for players who have a solid foundational skill set and have experience applying that skill set productively to help their team win who can come in an provide 10 minutes a night.

So far it seems that Djurisic has impressed the scouts with his game at the combine...It will all depend on which team drafts him...if he's drafted by a team that knows how to develop international talent,someone like Dallas,Denver,SA,MIA , he would be Better off...now if he's going to a mess of an organization like the Wizzards or Detroit he could have problems
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#30 » by BeiBeau » Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 am

If Dallas is going to dump THJ to make room for DJJ to resign then Pelle Larsson is another 2 guard upper class men who could be pretty nice.

Pros: Silky smooth offensive game, shot 42% from the college 3pt line last season, and prototypical size for a 2 guard. 90th percentile in catch and shoot situations, 75th percentile in drives to the basket. Has the ideal, modern NBA shot chart, is taking good looks from 3 and if defenses close out he drives past the close out. Rarely takes an off the dribble long mid range jumper Good finisher around the rim and has a solid package of floaters and elbow jumpers to deal with elite rim protection. Is not negative on defense. Makes good passes and limits turnovers. Good at avoiding contact to finish. Solid handle but nothing to write home about. Gets down hill with the ball in his hand.

Cons: Shot only 35% when tracking the NBA 3pt line. 23 years old, pedestrian wing span, not particularly explosive. Avoids contact so much in the paint that he practically never draws a foul. Fouls too much on the defensive end. His solid but not great handle and athleticism gives him a low floor but high ceiling. Doesn’t shoot off movement or screens the same way Cam Spencer does.

Larsson is another productive, high floor low ceiling upper class men who is going to go much later in the draft then their skills on the basketball court deserves. Dallas should be keen on snipping some of these players as potential cheap role players who can provide immediate shooting improvement to the team.

Ceiling: Poor man’s Desmond Bane with less athleticism and a worse handle.

Side note: Dallas drafting Pelle and him accidentally turning into the next Desmond Bane would be the best thing that could ever happen. Not because it would win us titles which it would. But so Daoneandonly can finally shut the **** up about Josh Green every other post.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#31 » by Teffer10 » Sat May 25, 2024 8:26 am

BeiBeau wrote:If Dallas is going to dump THJ to make room for DJJ to resign then Pelle Larsson is another 2 guard upper class men who could be pretty nice.

Pros: Silky smooth offensive game, shot 42% from the college 3pt line last season, and prototypical size for a 2 guard. 90th percentile in catch and shoot situations, 75th percentile in drives to the basket. Has the ideal, modern NBA shot chart, is taking good looks from 3 and if defenses close out he drives past the close out. Rarely takes an off the dribble long mid range jumper Good finisher around the rim and has a solid package of floaters and elbow jumpers to deal with elite rim protection. Is not negative on defense. Makes good passes and limits turnovers. Good at avoiding contact to finish. Solid handle but nothing to write home about. Gets down hill with the ball in his hand.

Cons: Shot only 35% when tracking the NBA 3pt line. 23 years old, pedestrian wing span, not particularly explosive. Avoids contact so much in the paint that he practically never draws a foul. Fouls too much on the defensive end. His solid but not great handle and athleticism gives him a low floor but high ceiling. Doesn’t shoot off movement or screens the same way Cam Spencer does.

Larsson is another productive, low floor high ceiling upper class men who is going to go much later in the draft then their skills on the basketball court deserves. Dallas should be keen on snipping some of these players as potential cheap role players who can provide immediate shooting improvement to the team.

Ceiling: Poor man’s Desmond Bane with less athleticism and a worse handle.

Side note: Dallas drafting Pelle and him accidentally turning into the next Desmond Bane would be the best thing that could ever happen. Not because it would win us titles which it would. But so Daoneandonly can finally shut the **** up about Josh Green every other post.

I still think Lawson has some upside this team could use. Not sure where the ceiling is,but is a decent defender and has a decent stroke.
When we move on from Green, Lawson could become a decent 3D guy.

I'd like to see Hardy, Prosper and Lawson get some early burn next season.
We'd have to get damn lucky to find someone at 58 or UFA who would crack the rotation on a very legit championship contender.

Return to Dallas Mavericks