Seattle Mariners @ Houston Astros

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Seattle Mariners @ Houston Astros 

Post#1 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 am

Nice win on the road for the M's! Felix finally gets win #100 as the bats come alive. Ackley had four hits, Seager's got a nice little hitting streak going, and Montero absolutely killed a home run. Things are looking up! Sure, Guti might go to the DL but nothing that bad will--

@RyanDivish Carlos Peguero was removed from the game in SLC. Read into that what you will ...

Oh. Goddammit.
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior
And1: 31

Re: Seattle Mariners @ Houston Astros 

Post#2 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Peguero is still in this organization? :o

And it's great to see Seager killing the ball. Boss work. He's been our best offensive player.

Thanks, Astros.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Sweezo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 pm

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Peguero is still in this organization? :o

Yep. And it's official: Peguero to the active roster, Guti to the 15 day DL. Peguero's been having a terrible season in Tacoma so he certainly deserves a promotion over someone like Thames. Great work, Jack Z.
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#4 » by TTown » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 am

the only conceivable reason for calling up peguero over thames is if thames is out of options, and he just wouldn't get the ABs once everyone gets healthy. i have no idea, myself.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by TTown » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 am

ibanez just ibanez'd a ball in left, scoring a run for houston in the 1st. blah.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by TTown » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:08 am

and he's 0/5 with RISP in two at bats today. you get after it, raul!

on the plus side, ackley is in a zone (9/22, .409) the last week, and smoak has another multi-hit game.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 am

TTown wrote:the only conceivable reason for calling up peguero over thames is if thames is out of options, and he just wouldn't get the ABs once everyone gets healthy. i have no idea, myself.

Oh, but I think you've overlooked some very important details. Let's see what the man in charge has to say about it...

Eric Wedge said that Franklin Gutierrez will have an MRI on Thursday. There really is no timetable for his return. It’s frustrating for Wedge. But at least there isn’t the unknown of whether Gutierrez will be available each day.

Endy Chavez will play the bulk of the time in center field. Jason Bay will be the emergency center fielder.

“He’ll be fine if we need him out there” Wedge said.

So why did Wedge choose Carlos Peguero over Eric Thames for the roster?

“We talked about Eric as well, but I just felt like we were better off with Carlos defensively and on the base paths as well,” Wedge said.

It’s saying something that Wedge views Pegeuro as better defensively – because, well, he isn’t great out in the outfield either. The base running thing stems from a few mental mistakes that Thames made last season and this spring. These were things that they were adamant that he work on when he was sent down to Triple A.

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2013/04/23/tuesdays-line-ups-official-game-notes-and-pregame-notes-vs-the-astros/

So, there you go. They chose Peguero because of his defense and baserunning ability. They also have Smoak at 1B for his power, Ibanez in LF for his defense, Morales at 1B for his speed, and Blake Beavan as a SP/RP for his strike out ability. Up is down, down is up, and our manager's trolling the hell out of our fan base.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 am

TTown wrote:ibanez just ibanez'd a ball in left, scoring a run for houston in the 1st. blah.

I'm surprised Wedge didn't pull him and stick Peguero in LF for his defense.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 am

Honest to God...defense and base running? He couldn't just say "we like his ability to get ahold of a ball and give it a ride" or some other meaningless platitude that is somewhat applicable? Or "Eric's working on some things in AAA right now?" How can anyone who's ever seen a baseball game, let alone devoted his entire life to the sport, actually say with a straight face that they chose Peguero for his defense and base running?
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:26 am

Why on Earth do you leave Ibanez in to face a left hander? For the joy of watching him run in close to the wall on a ball that was going to carom off it in the bottom half of the same inning?
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior

Post#11 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Hey Sweezo; You mad? :onfire:

This team sucks, and when will management realize that Wedge is a bumbling idiot? Christ. Keep Seager, Morales, Morse, Saunders, and drop the rest of the dead weight. Boom.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:33 pm

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Hey Sweezo; You mad? :onfire:

This team sucks, and when will management realize that Wedge is a bumbling idiot? Christ. Keep Seager, Morales, Morse, Saunders, and drop the rest of the dead weight. Boom.

Now they've demoted Ryan in favor of Andino at SS. Why? What has Andino shown on offense that Ryan hasn't? They are the same player at the plate!
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#13 » by bennith13 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 pm

I really like Jack and was a huge supporter of his. He inherited a mess and I agree with how he has gone about trying to clean it up. I like that besides for Figgins we haven't wasted huge sums of money on crappy players just because Jack felt like he had to make a move.

However, with all of that, I think its time for a change. Five years is enough to time to make progress. I don't think any of us here expect us to win the world series this year, but its time to put a product on the field that is above the embarrassment level. Something is wrong with the franchise. Either we have drafted poorly or we have terrible player development... or both. Jack's trades have been terrible. Out side his very first trade every other trade we have made has net us almost nothing of value. Teams build through good trades and drafting well. We do neither. No one even wants to play in Seattle. The rest of the baseball world thinks we are a joke. Love Jack as a person, but its time for a change. Not just Jack, but every so called baseball guy employed by the mariners needs to go, at every level.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by bennith13 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm

In fact, if something isn't seriously done soon about how embarrassing the mariners are right now I am down for trading them to Sacramento to get the Sonics back and just hope for a baseball expansion team in the future.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Sweezo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:30 pm

bennith13 wrote:I really like Jack and was a huge supporter of his. He inherited a mess and I agree with how he has gone about trying to clean it up. I like that besides for Figgins we haven't wasted huge sums of money on crappy players just because Jack felt like he had to make a move.

However, with all of that, I think its time for a change. Five years is enough to time to make progress. I don't think any of us here expect us to win the world series this year, but its time to put a product on the field that is above the embarrassment level. Something is wrong with the franchise. Either we have drafted poorly or we have terrible player development... or both. Jack's trades have been terrible. Out side his very first trade every other trade we have made has net us almost nothing of value. Teams build through good trades and drafting well. We do neither. No one even wants to play in Seattle. The rest of the baseball world thinks we are a joke. Love Jack as a person, but its time for a change. Not just Jack, but every so called baseball guy employed by the mariners needs to go, at every level.

The bolded part is the one that is the most damning. We've collected talent that other people crave, and we've not been able to make anything of team. The one offensive talent that's developed in the last couple years is Michael Saunders, and he did so by hiring a coach outside the organization.

Given the influx of cash about to come in this offseason with the new TV arrangement, I'd imagine the M's would have a ton of interested GM candidates.
bennith13
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bennith13 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 am

We clearly don't develop players inside of the organization, but we also suck at evaluating talent in trades. What did we get back for Fister? I was all for trading him, but I thought we would get at least one good player back. If the roles were reversed and we were trading for a pitcher like that you can bet that we would have given up some good players. See the Bedard trade. I know that wasn't Jack, but it just seems like we have not capitalized on the few trade-able pieces that Jack did have.
BayAreaMadSkill
Junior

Post#17 » by BayAreaMadSkill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:46 pm

I agree that our player development sucks. I feel like every year we have one of the top 10 minor league systems and what does it produce? Not much. Kyle Seager and Michael Saunders? Need more.

I wouldn't be opposed to a FO change. I like Jack Z but there hasn't been much in terms of results.

It's just frustrating. I want the Mariners to simply be GOOD and COMPETITIVE!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Sweezo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:44 am

So last night Wedge held a closed door meeting with his players and coaching staff. Great. People aren't producing? Try yelling about them about it. I know when I had a boss and felt I was having trouble with a task, having the boss come in a scream at me really took the pressure off. Or maybe it's nonsense like that which helped push me into opening my own office...

Return to Seattle Mariners