Eric Wedge

Slats
Junior
And1: 28

Eric Wedge 

Post#1 » by Slats » Mon May 28, 2012 11:52 pm

I've been trying my best to not turn anti-Wedge but comments like this really piss me off. He's basically saying I am right and you are wrong.

So playing Olivo and Figgins is the way to go? Please! We know who the real yahoo is.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/m ... e_mar.html

"Where most people get into trouble, they give in to that (expletive)," Wedge said, referring to the notion of deviating from the course to satisfy fans. "You can't do that. You've got to be tough enough, you've got to be disciplined enough to stick to the plan, be convicted with what you're doing, regardless of what anybody says."

"You're not going to have a consistent lineup until you know what your players are capable of doing," Wedge said. "They're too young. So for all the yahoos out there that say you should play the same people every day, that you haven't had a consistent lineup, you don't know (expletive). Period. Because you can't do that until you know what you have."
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Eric Wedge 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Tue May 29, 2012 10:00 am

In some respects, I get what difference a veteran approach to the game can make. Take Kevin Millwood for example. The team's reeling and heading into Texas would seem disheartening to most. But Millwood's been around enough to not let it both him and have a good approach.

But there's a difference between being a veteran and being good. Olivo isn't good. Figgins isn't good. And neither have been as long as they've been Mariners. This is Olivo's 4th season with the team. Figgins' 3rd. Go look at their numbers and tell me where they've produced offensively.

While a guy like Millwood can come out and give you a nice performance now and then, and with it some semblance of stability, Olivo and Figgins seem incapable of such a thing.

Losing can be tough on players who aren't used to it. And I imagine it's also tough to see other young teammates lose their jobs in favor of players who don't produce but get paid more and are therefore entitled.

**** Wedge if he can't see why fans are frustrated and decides to lash out at them. You'll probably be on the unemployment line next, you dinosaur.

Return to Seattle Mariners