Moderator: ijspeelman

jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,733

Re: Game 12: Pistons @ Cavs 11/17/2023 

Post#21 » by jasonxxx102 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:15 pm

toooskies wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Also, is it a bit concerning to hardly be beating some of the worst teams in basketball by slim margins while only playing 8 guys?

It won’t be concerning for some until the Cavs are missing the playin or getting bounced.

This team just isn’t good, it’s obvious. Last year was the peak of this team with JB.

We are not playing very well-- under our past demonstrated capabilities, let alone potential-- and are 6-6. If things start clicking we might be a very good team.

I don’t think anything is gonna click. The team regressed, quite significantly, from last season.

Mobley hasn’t developed at all, Garland is the exact same player, we already know what Mitchell and Levert are…

Can we point to injuries as to why they’ve regressed? Maybe. I still can’t figure out how none of these guys were ready for the season and they’re all injured already.

I don’t see a team in the top 8 that we could realistically beat in a series. Magic? Hawks? Maybe
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,628

Post#22 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:42 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
It won’t be concerning for some until the Cavs are missing the playin or getting bounced.

This team just isn’t good, it’s obvious. Last year was the peak of this team with JB.

We are not playing very well-- under our past demonstrated capabilities, let alone potential-- and are 6-6. If things start clicking we might be a very good team.

I don’t think anything is gonna click. The team regressed, quite significantly, from last season.

Mobley hasn’t developed at all, Garland is the exact same player, we already know what Mitchell and Levert are…

Can we point to injuries as to why they’ve regressed? Maybe. I still can’t figure out how none of these guys were ready for the season and they’re all injured already.

I don’t see a team in the top 8 that we could realistically beat in a series. Magic? Hawks? Maybe

I was actually encouraged by some of what I saw out of Mobley against the Pistons. There were flashes of KG's midrange game. It's just that he's only 22 and he's a big man. He's going to develop on his timetable, not Mitchell's.

I disagree that we've regressed. We've had a lot of injuries to key guys and we played a lot of good teams in our first 10 games. We struggled against good teams, at least when we plsyed them at full strength, last season as well. We're just playing them early in the schedule this season. Lost in all the advanced data was that we really struggled to score against good teams to close out games.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#23 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:12 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:I don’t see a team in the top 8 that we could realistically beat in a series. Magic? Hawks? Maybe

This is actually a point i was thinking about the other night too when looking at the standings, from a 7 game series perspective.

1. Celtics, no their backcourt would wreak havoc on Garland and Mitchell.
2. 76ers, no Embiid would bully Mobley and Allen. Also no one could stop Maxey on the other end, I'm sure.
3. Bucks, not in 7 games. Giannis still gets a favorable whistle. If Mitchell didn't disappear in the playoffs, this in theory would be a good matchup for him.
4. Pacers, probably not they actually understand how to play fast and have a lot of depth.
5. Heat, no i hate this matchup even though i know some love it. Spo would coach circles around JB.
6. Knicks, no... see last April lol just that repeated.
7. Magic, no their length 1-5 would give us fits.
8. Cavs, currently.
9. Hawks, probably not, Trae would probably end up being too much to handle. It in theory should be a good matchup for Okoro but Trae always puts him on rollerskates.
10. Nets, I would like to think the Cavs could beat these guys in a 7 game series but the odds of that matchup even occurring looks slim to none right now.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,756

Post#24 » by toooskies » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:30 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Mobley is averaging career highs in nearly everything but minutes. No, he hasn't made a leap, but he's a little bit better at everything.

Garland has been hurt but I'm monitoring whether Strus's increased volume compared to others at the 3 is throwing Garland off when both he and Mitchell are out there. I wondered who would lose touches if we played Strus at the 3 and so far it's been Garland.

Our biggest issue continues to be our bench, and outside of Niang it's hard to point to a specific reason since the lineup seems to change every game.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#25 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:26 pm

toooskies wrote:Mobley is averaging career highs in nearly everything but minutes. No, he hasn't made a leap, but he's a little bit better at everything.

Minus 3pt volume and efficiency, some how at an all time low but he is spending 64% of his minutes at center so may speak to that. His long ball just gets worse as his career progresses.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:22 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:I don’t see a team in the top 8 that we could realistically beat in a series. Magic? Hawks? Maybe

This is actually a point i was thinking about the other night too when looking at the standings, from a 7 game series perspective.

2. 76ers, no Embiid would bully Mobley and Allen. Also no one could stop Maxey on the other end, I'm sure.
3. Bucks, not in 7 games. Giannis still gets a favorable whistle. If Mitchell didn't disappear in the playoffs, this in theory would be a good matchup for him.
4. Pacers, probably not they actually understand how to play fast and have a lot of depth.
5. Heat, no i hate this matchup even though i know some love it. Spo would coach circles around JB.
8. Cavs, currently.
9. Hawks, probably not, Trae would probably end up being too much to handle. It in theory should be a good matchup for Okoro but Trae always puts him on rollerskates.
10. Nets, I would like to think the Cavs could beat these guys in a 7 game series but the odds of that matchup even occurring looks slim to none right now.

How many seasons have the Celtics started off in a funk only to put it together in the second half and gone on a deep run in playoffs?

How many times have mediocre teams gotten off to a hot start only to fade due to injuries, tougher parts of the schedule, or run into playoff teams playing harder in February and March?

The Cavs have plenty to work on, but November play hasn't been a reliable indicator of how things go in April.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#27 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

8. Cavs, currently.

How many seasons have the Celtics started off in a funk only to put it together in the second half and gone on a deep run in playoffs?

How many times have mediocre teams gotten off to a hot start only to fade due to injuries, tougher parts of the schedule, or run into playoff teams playing harder in February and March?

The Cavs have plenty to work on, but November play hasn't been a reliable indicator of how things go in April.
I'm strictly basing my thoughts on personnel matchups, nothing to do with slow start, being in a funk, or injuries.

It also comes down to not trusting the man "leading" the team too. He's never proven he can put together a solid gameplan, specifically in the post season.

What team(s) in the top 10 do you believe the Cavs can beat in a 7 game series or you want to wait until April? lol
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:This is actually a point i was thinking about the other night too when looking at the standings, from a 7 game series perspective.

8. Cavs, currently.

I'm strictly basing my thoughts on personnel matchups, nothing to do with slow start, being in a funk, or injuries.

It also comes down to not trusting the man "leading" the team too. He's never proven he can put together a solid gameplan, specifically in the post season.

What team(s) in the top 10 do you believe the Cavs can beat in a 7 game series or you want to wait until April? lol

I mean none of these teams are Durant with the Warriors. I can imagine scenarios where we beat any of them. It's just that we absolutely have to get the offense firing on all cylinders. Can that happen with JBB? I don't know. Can Mitchell adapt his game to a more team oriented offense? I don't know. But the sample size is too small, and too flawed in terms of injuries, for me to definitely draw conclusions.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#29 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I mean none of these teams are Durant with the Warriors. I can imagine scenarios where we beat any of them. It's just that we absolutely have to get the offense firing on all cylinders. Can that happen with JBB? I don't know. Can Mitchell adapt his game to a more team oriented offense? I don't know. But the sample size is too small, and too flawed in terms of injuries, for me to definitely draw conclusions.
I just see no way to beat the Celtics, 76ers, Bucks, or Heat in a 7 game series... Based on how the rosters are constructed today.

If JB is still the coach, add the Knicks to that list too.

Could they find a way to beat the Pacers, Magic, or Hawks in a 7 game series, i guess maybe. It would require Mitchell not forgetting how to play basketball come April though.
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,733

Post#30 » by jasonxxx102 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

This is where you and I differ. I'm very confident that it cannot happen with JB. I'm also not really sure about any coach with Mitchell as your best player but I'm more open on that one

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers