Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,555

Re: Game 11: Cavs @ Trailblazers 11/15/2023 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
It's worse than that. We're missing the starting PG, the backup PG, and the third-string PG. I think it's probably time to have a candid conversation with Rubio's agent. If he can't at least provide a time table for his return, then it might be time to attach three seconds to him and see if that's enough for Ty Jones.

It's still early, but Mitchell improvises all the time and so does LeVert. More importantly, improvisation is often our best offense and it's hard for your teammates to anticipate what you're going to do next when that's happening. Abandoning the ability to know what you're doing before the defense does is abandoning an advantage. It's one thing if the defense has taken away your first, second, and/or third action to break off the play, or if Okoro or Wade are passing up open shots, but that's not really what I'm seeing.

Are we incapable of running an offense that isn't read/react off the high PNR? Is it not a priority? Is it just an issue of injuries, availability, and familiarity? Is our second unit always going to have one of Allen/Mobley and Garland/Mitchell on the floor? Is that really a second unit over the course of an 82 game season?

If TT hasn't shown enough to get 3-4 minutes a half, and I think he has against most opponents/matchups, then go find someone who will. Same with Rubio.

The answer to this is unequivocally yes.

Also, wtf is going on with Rubio. Mental health, I get it but you're getting paid to play and you're not playing when the Cavs desperately need you. They need to figure out a way to get off his contract or sign someone who is willing to play.

We can't force a trade down someone's throat and waiving a player with mental health problems is not only a bad look but not even helpful because we have an open roster spot.

The Wizards and Pistons have multiple PGs on their rosters the majority of which are backup quality. In terms of mental health issues, if they're severe enough to keep you out of work for three months or longer, then, as a team, you have every right to ask whether they're so severe that he's likely to play at all this season. There's a medical exception. A TPE and three seconds is about as much as those teams can hope for.

It's just hard to see how we're going to run an NBA offense in both units without a PG above G League level to do it. I like CPJ, but what I'm seeing is a young player doing what he's comfortable with and trying to get to the rim or pass out of the paint after the defense ollapses. Unless that is the plan? I'm not exagerrating when I say that our offense is so discombobulated that I'm usually not certain what it is we're trying to do.

It's pretty obvious why opposing teams are being as aggressive as possible as far as getting the ball out of Garland's hands. We'll default to playground basketball without him running our offense. We sometimes end up there anyway even with Garland, but it's practically a lock without him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#22 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
It's worse than that. We're missing the starting PG, the backup PG, and the third-string PG. I think it's probably time to have a candid conversation with Rubio's agent. If he can't at least provide a time table for his return, then it might be time to attach three seconds to him and see if that's enough for Ty Jones.

It's still early, but Mitchell improvises all the time and so does LeVert. More importantly, improvisation is often our best offense and it's hard for your teammates to anticipate what you're going to do next when that's happening. Abandoning the ability to know what you're doing before the defense does is abandoning an advantage. It's one thing if the defense has taken away your first, second, and/or third action to break off the play, or if Okoro or Wade are passing up open shots, but that's not really what I'm seeing.

Are we incapable of running an offense that isn't read/react off the high PNR? Is it not a priority? Is it just an issue of injuries, availability, and familiarity? Is our second unit always going to have one of Allen/Mobley and Garland/Mitchell on the floor? Is that really a second unit over the course of an 82 game season?

If TT hasn't shown enough to get 3-4 minutes a half, and I think he has against most opponents/matchups, then go find someone who will. Same with Rubio.

Also, wtf is going on with Rubio. Mental health, I get it but you're getting paid to play and you're not playing when the Cavs desperately need you. They need to figure out a way to get off his contract or sign someone who is willing to play.

We can't force a trade down someone's throat and waiving a player with mental health problems is not only a bad look but not even helpful because we have an open roster spot.

They won't waive Rubio, they need the $6 million in salary relief, if he's not gonna play this season; waiving him doesn't achieve that.
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,732

Post#23 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I agree mostly. It's hard for me to be empathetic here because you're getting paid to play.

Nobody else gets to just disappear for months at a time and still get paid
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:03 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

I agree mostly. It's hard for me to be empathetic here because you're getting paid to play.

Every injured player receives that grace, and it's hard for us all to change the way we view these things, but that's how mental healthy issues are being treated ... no different than a physical injury.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#25 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:10 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Every injured player receives that grace, and it's hard for us all to change the way we view these things, but that's how mental healthy issues are being treated ... no different than a physical injury.

Yea I get it. At a certain point him and the organization need to decide whether he's going to play or not this season. If not the Cavs need to find a way to move on before it's too late.

Even if we ignore how poor of a coach JB is, no coach is going to win anything meaningful with 1 PG on the roster.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#26 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:43 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Yea I get it. At a certain point him and the organization need to decide whether he's going to play or not this season. If not the Cavs need to find a way to move on before it's too late.

Even if we ignore how poor of a coach JB is, no coach is going to win anything meaningful with 1 PG on the roster.

I imagine they have a timeline for Ty Jerome, not that I've heard anything; and like I said they have an open roster spot. They just don't want to lose flexibility or trigger the luxury tax if they don't have to. The league may need to tweak their rules for situations like this because I think the team needs to demonstrate medically that a player is lost for the season before they can file for compensation. A declaration from a psychiatrist that Ricky is seeing might get the job done, but a) he'd have to be seeing one, and b) they would need to somehow conclude that Ricky can't work through his issues in the coming days/weeks/months.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#27 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I imagine they have a timeline for Ty Jerome, not that I've heard anything; and like I said they have an open roster spot. They just don't want to lose flexibility or trigger the luxury tax if they don't have to. The league may need to tweak their rules for situations like this because I think the team needs to demonstrate medically that a player is lost for the season before they can file for compensation. A declaration from a psychiatrist that Ricky is seeing might get the job done, but a) he'd have to be seeing one, and b) they would need to somehow conclude that Ricky can't work through his issues in the coming days/weeks/months.

Ty Jerome isn't any good, though. That whole thing is weird too like how can we have so many long injuries this early in the season?

You've had what, 5 guys already miss multiple games? Where's the training staff?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:26 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Ty Jerome isn't any good, though. That whole thing is weird too like how can we have so many long injuries this early in the season?

You've had what, 5 guys already miss multiple games? Where's the training staff?

Of course we can win games with Mitchell running point, we did it last year when Garland nearly got his eye poked out. Caris has also played a lot of starting and backup PG in his career. We have playmaking depth, it's more about how we use it.

I don't even know where to start with our injuries, though. I still think injuries had a lot more to do with our playoff collapse to the Knicks than anything else.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#29 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Even then his money stays on the books and the DPE would be useless.

Cavs don't need his roster spot, they need the money he's occupying.

Cavs still have $3.6 million of their MLE to use and $2.08 million of their BAE to use.

So Rubio is occupying $6.15 million and the Cavs have $5.68 million in exceptions to utilize. I'm with whoever said trade X amount of 2nd rounders to clear this cat off our roster.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#30 » by toooskies » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:27 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Cavs still have $3.6 million of their MLE to use and $2.08 million of their BAE to use.

So Rubio is occupying $6.15 million and the Cavs have $5.68 million in exceptions to utilize. I'm with whoever said trade X amount of 2nd rounders to clear this cat off our roster.

And sign who? John Wall? Sharife Cooper?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#31 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:45 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Honestly, anyone. For now, I'd just go with another non-guaranteed deal until early January (and if they wanna keep Rubio on the roster until 10 days can be signed in January, so be it).

Or they can keep him on the roster until February at the trade deadline so he can be a salary throw in.

I think just getting some kinda clarity from that $6 million would be beneficial.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by toooskies » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:47 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Even then his money stays on the books and the DPE would be useless.

Honestly, anyone. For now, I'd just go with another non-guaranteed deal until early January (and if they wanna keep Rubio on the roster until 10 days can be signed in January, so be it).

Or they can keep him on the roster until February at the trade deadline so he can be a salary throw in.

I think just getting some kinda clarity from that $6 million would be beneficial.

I mean, I'm on record saying they should have signed Cooper to a non-guaranteed deal when Garland and Jerome were both out, and I still believe they should have-- particularly while Darius doesn't look 100% and Jerome is still out. But it doesn't really matter if JBB prefers 33 minutes of LeVert out there instead of 23 minutes of LeVert and 10 minutes of Cooper. (And that's a reasonable preference.)
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#33 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:52 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:And sign who? John Wall? Sharife Cooper?

I mean, I'm on record saying they should have signed Cooper to a non-guaranteed deal when Garland and Jerome were both out, and I still believe they should have-- particularly while Darius doesn't look 100% and Jerome is still out. But it doesn't really matter if JBB prefers 33 minutes of LeVert out there instead of 23 minutes of LeVert and 10 minutes of Cooper. (And that's a reasonable preference.)

I guess, just get sick of our dudes having nothing left in the tank come the post season.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by toooskies » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:45 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Honestly, anyone. For now, I'd just go with another non-guaranteed deal until early January (and if they wanna keep Rubio on the roster until 10 days can be signed in January, so be it).

I guess, just get sick of our dudes having nothing left in the tank come the post season.

What if what you're seeing is actually the team topping out it's capability in the regular season b/c JBB is good at motivating them, and they were outclassed last year by a team that had another gear for a few games?

Mitchell and Garland had 11 days off after we locked our seed in before the Knicks series to get right. Mobley and Allen asked to play a game in there just to try to stay in rhythm. Nobody was worn out to start the playoffs.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:51 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:I mean, I'm on record saying they should have signed Cooper to a non-guaranteed deal when Garland and Jerome were both out, and I still believe they should have-- particularly while Darius doesn't look 100% and Jerome is still out. But it doesn't really matter if JBB prefers 33 minutes of LeVert out there instead of 23 minutes of LeVert and 10 minutes of Cooper. (And that's a reasonable preference.)

What if what you're seeing is actually the team topping out it's capability in the regular season b/c JBB is good at motivating them, and they were outclassed last year by a team that had another gear for a few games?

Mitchell and Garland had 11 days off after we locked our seed in before the Knicks series to get right. Mobley and Allen asked to play a game in there just to try to stay in rhythm. Nobody was worn out to start the playoffs.
Meh, i don't think 11 days erases 6 months of wear and tear on the body. This is coming from a guy who works out 4 to 5 days per week, no where near the level and intensity of the core 4.

Progressive fatigue is real and it has been prevalent April 2022 and April 2023, to me. If you thought they looked like fully healthy and rested players, cool, i just strongly disagree lol
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,878

Post#36 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:26 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I guess, just get sick of our dudes having nothing left in the tank come the post season.

Meh, i don't think 11 days erases 6 months of wear and tear on the body. This is coming from a guy who works out 4 to 5 days per week, no where near the level and intensity of the core 4.

Progressive fatigue is real and it has been prevalent April 2022 and April 2023, to me. If you thought they looked like fully healthy and rested players, cool, i just strongly disagree lol

What if I told you that Randle played more minutes than Mobley last season, and both Barrett and Hart logged more minutes than Garland and Mitchell?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#37 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:11 am

mcfly1204 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:What if what you're seeing is actually the team topping out it's capability in the regular season b/c JBB is good at motivating them, and they were outclassed last year by a team that had another gear for a few games?

What if I told you that Randle played more minutes than Mobley last season, and both Barrett and Hart logged more minutes than Garland and Mitchell?
Bruh, you're talking about 72 total minutes, combined... Plus, Thibs reputation is he runs guys into the ground, so i don't think that helps that comparison very much.
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#38 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:38 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Meh, i don't think 11 days erases 6 months of wear and tear on the body. This is coming from a guy who works out 4 to 5 days per week, no where near the level and intensity of the core 4.

Bruh, you're talking about 72 total minutes, combined... Plus, Thibs reputation is he runs guys into the ground, so i don't think that helps that comparison very much.

But I guess they had enough in the tank to get the gentleman's sweep on us, and take Miami to 6.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#39 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:28 am

mcfly1204 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:What if I told you that Randle played more minutes than Mobley last season, and both Barrett and Hart logged more minutes than Garland and Mitchell?

But I guess they had enough in the tank to get the gentleman's sweep on us, and take Miami to 6.
The Knicks also had 9 guys playing 15.9 or more minutes per game in the playoffs and a situational 10th guy vs the Cavs 6 man playoff rotation... But heck yeah man, keep blindly defending JB, lmfao
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#40 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:06 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Bruh, you're talking about 72 total minutes, combined... Plus, Thibs reputation is he runs guys into the ground, so i don't think that helps that comparison very much.

The Knicks also had 9 guys playing 15.9 or more minutes per game in the playoffs and a situational 10th guy vs the Cavs 6 man playoff rotation... But heck yeah man, keep blindly defending JB, lmfao

Okay, so it wasn't the progressive fatigue from the regular season, it was the tight rotation in that 5 game series?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers