Dean Wade
No votes
other
No votes

Total votes: 7

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Re: Starting SF Game 1 Of 2023-24 Season? 

Post#61 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:29 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:It was semi-arbitrary if Okoro or Strus was the PF. They both took turns guarding Mikal, Simmons, and Cameron Johnson (don't even know which one we'd consider the PF on their team). For two 6'5 guys manning the forward spots, it looked better than it could have.
Yeah would be nice to have Wade and/or Allen back since our 15th spot is vacant, our 14th spot is on a medical leave, and spots 13 and 12 appear to be unplayable. And i guess the back-up center is a bit foul prone.

Did Brobley and Bates dress last night?

They were both dressed (in uniform) and were hype men the whole night

When Jones was struggling and with 2 bigs hurt, i wonder why JB didn't look to one of them or even TT.

I get when JB said he was gonna go 11 deep every night most Cavs fans rolled their eyes but I wouldn't expect game 1 him to already be back to only 8 guys playing double figure minutes in the rotation.

I looked at the other 29 teams opening night games and the only other teams to play an 8 man rotation (my definition of players not reaching double figure minutes) were the Wolves, Mavs, and Celtics. JB really can't run our guys into the ground for the 3rd season in a row, their gas tanks are on E by the time the post season rolls around.

Edit: most teams were 9 guys in the rotation but quite a few were using 10 man rotations too.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#62 » by toooskies » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:06 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yeah would be nice to have Wade and/or Allen back since our 15th spot is vacant, our 14th spot is on a medical leave, and spots 13 and 12 appear to be unplayable. And i guess the back-up center is a bit foul prone.

When Jones was struggling and with 2 bigs hurt, i wonder why JB didn't look to one of them or even TT.

I get when JB said he was gonna go 11 deep every night most Cavs fans rolled their eyes but I wouldn't expect game 1 him to already be back to only 8 guys playing double figure minutes in the rotation.

I looked at the other 29 teams opening night games and the only other teams to play an 8 man rotation (my definition of players not reaching double figure minutes) were the Wolves, Mavs, and Celtics. JB really can't run our guys into the ground for the 3rd season in a row, their gas tanks are on E by the time the post season rolls around.

Edit: most teams were 9 guys in the rotation but quite a few were using 10 man rotations too.

To be fair, we were missing our starting C, a backup F, our presumed backup PG from the start of the summer, and Jerome got on the floor too-- but this wasn't a favorable matchup for him so he only got one rotation. Most nights this is a 9 or 10 man rotation.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#63 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:21 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yeah would be nice to have Wade and/or Allen back since our 15th spot is vacant, our 14th spot is on a medical leave, and spots 13 and 12 appear to be unplayable. And i guess the back-up center is a bit foul prone.

Our minutes distribution was fine and nobody had to play an entire half without a break. I presume the Nets rode their bench hard because they were productive.

I can understand JBB not wanting to risk a close game on TT who was as good as washed the previous time he was on the team or IMobley who has all of 84 minutes under his belt.

And we were missing 3 rotational players counting Ricky. Memphis is even more decimated without Ja, Clarke, Adams, and Aldama; but they didn't have to dust off a g-leaguer with minimal pro experience in order to go 9 deep in their opener.

Probably says more about Altman and/or Altman and JBB's relationship that we don't have depth our coach is willing to trust creating a negative feedback loop where we don't develop what we do have.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#64 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:23 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

To be fair, we were missing our starting C, a backup F, our presumed backup PG from the start of the summer, and Jerome got on the floor too-- but this wasn't a favorable matchup for him so he only got one rotation. Most nights this is a 9 or 10 man rotation.

With JB it remains to be seen.

If he starts playing 10 guys 10+ minutes per night i would be genuinely shocked but the offense from the clips i watched on NBA.com seems to be different, so miracles can happen.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#65 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Our minutes distribution was fine and nobody had to play an entire half without a break. I presume the Nets rode their bench hard because they were productive.

I can understand JBB not wanting to risk a close game on TT who was as good as washed the previous time he was on the team or IMobley who has all of 84 minutes under his belt.

And we were missing 3 rotational players counting Ricky. Memphis is even more decimated without Ja, Clarke, Adams, and Aldama; but they didn't have to dust off a g-leaguer with minimal pro experience in order to go 9 deep in their opener.

Probably says more about Altman and/or Altman and JBB's relationship that we don't have depth our coach is willing to trust creating a negative feedback loop where we don't develop what we do have.
Meh, i don't want Garland on a bad hamstring playing 30+ minutes, personally. Also Strus obviously started missing shots late, 39 minutes on a regular basis will not be sustainable.

To your example are Roddy, Ziaire, LaRavia, and Rose really any better than TT, Merrill, Jerome, or Brobley? I would venture to say no or if so, marginally. And those guys logged 88 minutes combined in game 1 of the season while our 4 logged a total of 5 minutes and some change. I don't think it has anything to do with talent and has everything to do with who the head coach is.

JB's knock is his short rotations starting in October. The guy said he would improve on this, if he doesn't, the guys will be worn out come mid April, again.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#66 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:54 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:When Jones was struggling and with 2 bigs hurt, i wonder why JB didn't look to one of them or even TT.

Meh, i don't want Garland on a bad hamstring playing 30+ minutes, personally. Also Strus obviously started missing shots late, 39 minutes on a regular basis will not be sustainable.

To your example are Roddy, Ziaire, LaRavia, and Rose really any better than TT, Merrill, Jerome, or Brobley? I would venture to say no or if so, marginally. And those guys logged 88 minutes combined in game 1 of the season while our 4 logged a total of 5 minutes and some change. I don't think it has anything to do with talent and has everything to do with who the head coach is.

JB's knock is his short rotations starting in October. The guy said he would improve on this, if he doesn't, the guys will be worn out come mid April, again.

The one thing we have is a lot of guards, so many we could afford to start 2 of them at SF and PF and still had another to help run the second unit. Jerome was our 4th option at PG and took the fall for Cam Thomas going off, not a big deal there.

Garland is dealing with a hamstring strain. Hopefully minor? I'm not sure if cutting his minutes way down does much in the way of helping him avoiding aggravating the injury and if there is a risk of him aggravating it they probably shouldn't be playing him at all. The last thing we need is another lingering injury issue.

As for our reserves, we'd have to actually see our guys play meaningful minutes to know if they were any better than Memphis.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#67 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The one thing we have is a lot of guards, so many we could afford to start 2 of them at SF and PF and still had another to help run the second unit. Jerome was our 4th option at PG and took the fall for Cam Thomas going off, not a big deal there.

Garland is dealing with a hamstring strain. Hopefully minor? I'm not sure if cutting his minutes way down does much in the way of helping him avoiding aggravating the injury and if there is a risk of him aggravating it they probably shouldn't be playing him at all. The last thing we need is another lingering injury issue.

As for our reserves, we'd have to actually see our guys play meaningful minutes to know if they were any better than Memphis.
To your last paragraph, i agree, all the more reason JB should stick to his word and give those guys burn.

I understand for like the 3rd season in a row JB feels pressure to win every single regular season game. However, most every single fan agreed dropping a couple games early in the season should be viewed as okay, long as the reasoning is hopefully come April, JB has tons of fresh bodies and more than 6 guys he trusts to play 10+ minutes in any given series.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#68 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:57 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Meh, i don't want Garland on a bad hamstring playing 30+ minutes, personally. Also Strus obviously started missing shots late, 39 minutes on a regular basis will not be sustainable.

To your last paragraph, i agree, all the more reason JB should stick to his word and give those guys burn.

I understand for like the 3rd season in a row JB feels pressure to win every single regular season game. However, most every single fan agreed dropping a couple games early in the season should be viewed as okay, long as the reasoning is hopefully come April, JB has tons of fresh bodies and more than 6 guys he trusts to play 10+ minutes in any given series.

There's a fine line between losing a couple of games we could have won, and a bad start that could easily be used to justify firing him. The main thing I'll be looking at is whether he's able to give the players consistent breaks in the game. Maybe he shouldn't have played Strus for 12 minutes straight in the 2nd quarter, but that's still much better than playing him an entire half without a break.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#69 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:02 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There's a fine line between losing a couple of games we could have won, and a bad start that could easily be used to justify firing him. The main thing I'll be looking at is whether he's able to give the players consistent breaks in the game. Maybe he shouldn't have played Strus for 12 minutes straight in the 2nd quarter, but that's still much better than playing him an entire half without a break.
I would be very okay with him getting fired.

My outlandish take is if the Knicks spank us in similar fashion in the 2 game "series" next week as they did in April then just can the guy right after that lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#70 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:54 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:To your last paragraph, i agree, all the more reason JB should stick to his word and give those guys burn.

My outlandish take is if the Knicks spank us in similar fashion in the 2 game "series" next week as they did in April then just can the guy right after that lol

I just want to see some growth and experimentation. JBB and the team have had all Summer to contemplate what we did wrong in the Knicks series, so what's their answer? If The Knicks response to that answer still kicks our butt, then can we adjust in-game this time? Do we adjust between games? Or is it more of what we saw in round 1?

One thing Cavs history has taught is don't focus too much on beating one team (Orlando) when they're not even the team you'll end up having to go through (Boston).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#71 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I just want to see some growth and experimentation. JBB and the team have had all Summer to contemplate what we did wrong in the Knicks series, so what's their answer? If The Knicks response to that answer still kicks our butt, then can we adjust in-game this time? Do we adjust between games? Or is it more of what we saw in round 1?

One thing Cavs history has taught is don't focus too much on beating one team (Orlando) when they're not even the team you'll end up having to go through (Boston).
That is such a good point, in the hypothetical we can finally beat the Knicks then get matched up with some other team in April that beats us a different way.

I'm only half joking about the 2 Knicks games next week, it would be nice to see some improvement but at the end of the day they're just 2 regular season games.

Maybe if they make it far enough into the in season tournament that will be another chance to evaluate JB's coaching ability.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#72 » by ijspeelman » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:25 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I would be very okay with him getting fired.

That is such a good point, in the hypothetical we can finally beat the Knicks then get matched up with some other team in April that beats us a different way.

I'm only half joking about the 2 Knicks games next week, it would be nice to see some improvement but at the end of the day they're just 2 regular season games.

Maybe if they make it far enough into the in season tournament that will be another chance to evaluate JB's coaching ability.

I have no clue how seriously the in-season tournament will be taken (by all teams) versus the normal regular season games since they account for the same thing in the play-off picture (besides the final game).
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#73 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:57 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I have no clue how seriously the in-season tournament will be taken (by all teams) versus the normal regular season games since they account for the same thing in the play-off picture (besides the final game).

On paper the Cavs are a young team and should be weaning themselves on every competitive opportunity, and given how much the East has changed it wouldn't surprise me if some of the other teams/coaches might like to establish themselves in the tourney.

Only problem is that it's coming on surprisingly fast when most teams are still in "pre-season" mode.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#74 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:04 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Agreed but after the play-in disaster of 2022, maybe showing in an elimination game setting (if the Cavs qualify for Vegas) that he can navigate that successfully would be good.

My main concern is we're gonna get to April with JB still the coach and he's gonna have another meltdown in the post season for a 3rd straight year.

With the uncertainty surrounding Mitchell, don't really wanna "waste" a season.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#75 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:27 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Tried to tell ya i didn't like Garland's high minutes on a bum wheel but that's JB for ya.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#76 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:34 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Meh, i don't want Garland on a bad hamstring playing 30+ minutes, personally. Also Strus obviously started missing shots late, 39 minutes on a regular basis will not be sustainable.

Tried to tell ya i didn't like Garland's high minutes on a bum wheel but that's JB for ya.

I was willing to give JBB the benefit of the doubt since the severity of a hamstring injury can be all over the map, and while Garland was particularly sloppy in his one game it didn't look like he aggravated the injury at any point.

So, unfortunately Garland will likely try to fight through it and we can just cross our fingers that JBB doesn't run out there with a sledge hammer and smack him with it ... err, I mean play him ridiculous minutes.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#77 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Nov 3, 2023 11:22 pm

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers