Post mortem 2022-23

Moderator: ijspeelman

El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Re: Post mortem 2022-23 

Post#61 » by El Hespiritu » Wed May 3, 2023 6:20 pm

Mmmh...

Maybe we're underrating the impact of getting along well with players' agencies at the modern NBA.
Or even bow to them.

Consider that into your speculations about KL, beg you.
I foresee some future incoming deals between CLECaus and a certain players' agency.

But perhaps I just have a dirty mind.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#62 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 3, 2023 7:50 pm

El Hespiritu wrote:Mmmh...

Maybe we're underrating the impact of getting along well with players' agencies at the modern NBA.
Or even bow to them.

Consider that into your speculations about KL, beg you.
I foresee some future incoming deals between CLECaus and a certain players' agency.

But perhaps I just have a dirty mind.

The Cavs have done a ton a favors for players and their agents over the years, but I'm not sure whether it's because we expect a payoff at some point .vs. just not being written off as a trash organization that players and agents won't consider.

Maybe Jeff Schwartz helped convince Ricky to give the Cavs a shot (and then another shot)? The Rubio/Love reunion was looking promising for a minute or two.

But it's not like any of his clients have ever asked to be traded to Cleveland. If our relationship with Schwartz "smoothed" the way for current and former Cavs he represents like Love, Osman, Rubio, Korver, Deron Williams, Thon Maker, Dwight Powell, Ante Zizic, and Andre Drummond maybe we should reconsider our approach? :roll:

And for those scratching their heads over my inclusion of Powell, I give you Exhibit A:

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/powell-signing-140823
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#63 » by TheLand13 » Wed May 3, 2023 8:15 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Ben has a very good track record, so, I don't doubt this and it fits what happened.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Doesn't matter, Cavs shoulda traded him. They had every chance for 5 to 8 years to trade him and never did. Let him walk for nothing, as is always their MO.

They tried, numerous times. You’re acting like trading him would have been easy. Who at this point would’ve willingly traded for him while forking over the assets needed to make it work? This isn’t on Cleveland. My big criticism is always going to be taking him out of the rotation in the first place.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#64 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 3, 2023 9:24 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Ben has a very good track record, so, I don't doubt this and it fits what happened.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Doesn't matter, Cavs shoulda traded him. They had every chance for 5 to 8 years to trade him and never did. Let him walk for nothing, as is always their MO.

They tried, numerous times. You’re acting like trading him would have been easy. Who at this point would’ve willingly traded for him while forking over the assets needed to make it work? This isn’t on Cleveland. My big criticism is always going to be taking him out of the rotation in the first place.
I mean there are a lot of fingers to be pointed, none of it solves getting gentlemen swept by an awful Knicks team.

The only way to solve it is forward and the Cavs have an opportunity this summer to improve the team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#65 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 3, 2023 10:26 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Doesn't matter, Cavs shoulda traded him. They had every chance for 5 to 8 years to trade him and never did. Let him walk for nothing, as is always their MO.

I mean there are a lot of fingers to be pointed, none of it solves getting gentlemen swept by an awful Knicks team.

The only way to solve it is forward and the Cavs have an opportunity this summer to improve the team.

Or we can focus on the real hard problems facing mankind, like are you going to be able to watch games next season? :lol:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#66 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 3, 2023 10:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:

Or we can focus on the real hard problems facing mankind, like are you going to be able to watch games next season?
I've been frugal this long, so I doubt it lol

I got to watch like 4.5 of the Cavs playoff games, so I was happy.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#67 » by ijspeelman » Thu May 4, 2023 1:29 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I mean there are a lot of fingers to be pointed, none of it solves getting gentlemen swept by an awful Knicks team.

Or we can focus on the real hard problems facing mankind, like are you going to be able to watch games next season?

There are ways to watch every game for free :wink:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#68 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 4, 2023 3:09 am

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

There are ways to watch every game for free :wink:
Haha i know this, still a hassle.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#69 » by ijspeelman » Mon May 8, 2023 8:33 pm

I know we are not getting rid of JB and I was not a major proponent of removing him.

With that being said, I really need to see the guy show me some improvement. Those that are not completely out of him have indicated that he is a younger coach and he can change/adapt. The question is: will he?

I don't necessarily need to see a crazy record difference, but I do want to our record against top teams improve. A lot of the big games last year fell short (even if only by a few points), but our record was right below average against top 12 teams. I'd like to see that change next season or we are going to have another rude awakening in the playoffs. It would be a good indication of a more pliable offense that doesn't rely on the shot-making of Mitchell (and Garland, but Mitchell specifically).

I am not worried about the defense in the slightest so I am down for JB to experiment with some overly offensive leaning line-ups. I want to see a lot more Mobley at center line-ups with a good offense around him (same with Allen honestly).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#70 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 8, 2023 8:52 pm

ijspeelman wrote:I know we are not getting rid of JB and I was not a major proponent of removing him.

With that being said, I really need to see the guy show me some improvement. Those that are not completely out of him have indicated that he is a younger coach and he can change/adapt. The question is: will he?

I don't necessarily need to see a crazy record difference, but I do want to our record against top teams improve. A lot of the big games last year fell short (even if only by a few points), but our record was right below average against top 12 teams. I'd like to see that change next season or we are going to have another rude awakening in the playoffs. It would be a good indication of a more pliable offense that doesn't rely on the shot-making of Mitchell (and Garland, but Mitchell specifically).

I am not worried about the defense in the slightest so I am down for JB to experiment with some overly offensive leaning line-ups. I want to see a lot more Mobley at center line-ups with a good offense around him (same with Allen honestly).
I honestly don't care about the regular season record, as long as it is good enough to make the playoffs. The 8 seed Heat are on the verge of an ECF berth.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers