Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Game 61: Cavs @ 76ers 2/15/2023 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:09 am

Read on Twitter

Last game before the all-star break. Pretty sure if we can win this one, we jump up to third over the 6ers.

This is one of five of our last tests against high level playoff teams so this should be a good one.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Re: Game 61: Cavs @ 76ers 2/15/2023 

Post#2 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 am

Not an ideal start. 6ers making everything, Cavs making nothing, and Cavs with way too many TOS. Everything that could go wrong is going wrong

We’ve already given up 3 completely wide open threes
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#3 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:13 am

We may be overhelping on Embiid and Harden. I understand that not helping would result in easy buckets, but it’s leaving some of their guys wide open and they are hitting them
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,508

Post#4 » by afarmenian » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:23 am

What a disaster so far. Cavs with the deer in the headlight look. Beating up on bad teams for a while didn't do much for their psyche but at least Mitchell feels comfortable chucking 3s that's how we will in the playoffs
afarmenian
Analyst

Post#5 » by afarmenian » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:30 am

What is JB doing putting Danny green in the floor right now is he insane
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#6 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:36 am

At least I get to enjoy the defensive three second call
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#7 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:37 am

Btw solely blaming Mitchell for this is insane
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#8 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:39 am

Cavs were getting blown out when I looked at the score on the tv while leaving the bar.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#9 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:45 am

Danny Green with his first bucket in his second stint as a Cav. Pretty gorgeous in our jerseys
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,557

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:52 am

This is the game where the bill for our really dumb offensive habits comes due. Really good teams are going to score on whoever you put out there and you can't waste as many possessions as the Cavs do having guys like Mobley, Stevens, and LeVert taking a bunch of 3s. You can't have Mitchell taking long, contested 3s early in the shot clock to start the game. Just painfully stupid stuff. Nuke it all from orbit.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
afarmenian
Analyst

Post#11 » by afarmenian » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:27 am

JB is going to be our mark Jackson doug collins you can count on that this team is not fulfilling it's potential
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#12 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:41 am

And after all that, 10 point game with 7.5 to go
afarmenian
Analyst

Post#13 » by afarmenian » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:49 am

Allen is getting dominated and toyed with nobody should be talking about dpoy after this. Nice guy good player but not mean enough. Looks like a zombie out there. Very disappointing
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#14 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:09 am

After an absolutely horrific first half, that was a pretty gorgeous comeback (I'm going to take my positives after raging in the first). That first half we were the most out of sync I've seen us this season.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:27 am

afarmenian wrote:Allen is getting dominated and toyed with nobody should be talking about dpoy after this. Nice guy good player but not mean enough. Looks like a zombie out there. Very disappointing

I'll say this, if the officials are going to allow Embiid to commit offensive fouls whenever an opponent of the same size plays effective defense, then the organization needs a response. Maybe it's RoLo coming in and throwing elbows right back at him, maybe Allen needs to learn to pull the chair lime Rick Mahorn, but however weak you think Allen's response was, Mobley was legit scared of Embiid.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#16 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:
afarmenian wrote:Allen is getting dominated and toyed with nobody should be talking about dpoy after this. Nice guy good player but not mean enough. Looks like a zombie out there. Very disappointing

I'll say this, if the officials are going to allow Embiid to commit offensive fouls whenever an opponent of the same size plays effective defense, then the organization needs a response. Maybe it's RoLo coming in and throwing elbows right back at him, maybe Allen needs to learn to pull the chair lime Rick Mahorn, but however weak you think Allen's response was, Mobley was legit scared of Embiid.

Mobley is way too light to be guarding Embiid in the post. If Embiid is getting away with hard pushes and Mobley is on him, it’s over. I do think Mobley was falling into Embiid’s lap with the foul baiting. Embiid would bait and Mobley would always take it. Something he’ll need to learn for this specific match-up.

I think Allen was good one on one against the top 2 MVP candidate who’s game is predicated on making insanely tough shots and shooting free throws. Embiid was on and that’s really all there was to it
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Post#17 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:44 am

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Mobley is way too light to be guarding Embiid in the post. If Embiid is getting away with hard pushes and Mobley is on him, it’s over. I do think Mobley was falling into Embiid’s lap with the foul baiting. Embiid would bait and Mobley would always take it. Something he’ll need to learn for this specific match-up.

I think Allen was good one on one against the top 2 MVP candidate who’s game is predicated on making insanely tough shots and shooting free throws. Embiid was on and that’s really all there was to it
Why must we chalk everything up to luck and chance?
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#18 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:08 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Because basketball is all about variability and attempting to control that variability to your advantage. There is a reason the best team doesn't win every night or even every playoff series even after doing all the right things to win.

Definitely not saying we did all the right things to win today lmao, but Joel Embiid's tough shot making his hard to stop one-on-one. Throw an extra man at him and we have to now worry about the open three point shooter. We played Embiid more one-on-one in the second half in resulted in us cutting all the way to 4 by not allowing his teammates to get open.

Yeah, Embiid made us a pay, but imagine if those shots went to open three point shooting. The probability is that we would have had less of a chance of winning than just playing Embiid one-on-one. You need to pick your poison sometimes, and sometimes the weaker potion is still potent
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,461

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:23 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm not fond of luck as an excuse and I missed most of the disaster because my DVR didn't figure out the game had moved ... but Embiid did hit a very difficult jumper against a tight contest that helped seal it for Philly. Some nights those shots are going to go in.

As for our front court getting pushed around, it's going to happen and at best we need to come up with some contingencies; but this is part of a young team heading in to the playoffs for the first time. They are not physically mature and do not know all the little tricks.

And hard as it may be for him to grasp, JBB may need to win some games with offense.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I'm not fond of luck as an excuse and I missed most of the disaster because my DVR didn't figure out the game had moved ... but Embiid did hit a very difficult jumper against a tight contest that helped seal it for Philly. Some nights those shots are going to go in.

As for our front court getting pushed around, it's going to happen and at best we need to come up with some contingencies; but this is part of a young team heading in to the playoffs for the first time. They are not physically mature and do not know all the little tricks.

And hard as it may be for him to grasp, JBB may need to win some games with offense.

Or at least not lose tight games against good teams due to bad offense.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers