Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season 

Post#1101 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 1, 2023 2:08 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Raptors waived Juancho.

I haven't watched a ton of Juancho, but every fanbase that has had him doesn't like him.
Bo Cruz!
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1102 » by toooskies » Wed Mar 1, 2023 5:21 pm

I'm leaning Noel if we want to bring in a guy we'd consider in the RoLo role next year. He might be a good BAE candidate in the offseason and we could get a test drive of him in our system/culture now.

Or just promote from within, whether that's IMobley, Diakite, Sharife Cooper, Sam Merrill, or whoever.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#1103 » by ijspeelman » Wed Mar 1, 2023 6:00 pm

toooskies wrote:I'm leaning Noel if we want to bring in a guy we'd consider in the RoLo role next year. He might be a good BAE candidate in the offseason and we could get a test drive of him in our system/culture now.

Or just promote from within, whether that's IMobley, Diakite, Sharife Cooper, Sam Merrill, or whoever.

I'm still down for IMo to get some more looks with our normal units (even if its bench only). I like the idea of having a bench big that can potentially shoot and play drop. This is still all theoretical tho.

I think its easier to find an Allen back-up than it is to find someone who can do somewhat Mobley things and somewhat Allen things. We are in desperate need of someone who can do Allen things, but it would be nice if they could play alongside either of Mobley or Allen (in IMo's case, it helps he can shoot, but I don't think he's nearly as gifted with his feet guarding smaller players like his brother so I like him a lot more at 5 than 4).
jasonxxx102
Veteran
And1: 2,733

Post#1104 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Mar 1, 2023 6:51 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
toooskies wrote:I'm leaning Noel if we want to bring in a guy we'd consider in the RoLo role next year. He might be a good BAE candidate in the offseason and we could get a test drive of him in our system/culture now.

I'm still down for IMo to get some more looks with our normal units (even if its bench only). I like the idea of having a bench big that can potentially shoot and play drop. This is still all theoretical tho.

I think its easier to find an Allen back-up than it is to find someone who can do somewhat Mobley things and somewhat Allen things. We are in desperate need of someone who can do Allen things, but it would be nice if they could play alongside either of Mobley or Allen (in IMo's case, it helps he can shoot, but I don't think he's nearly as gifted with his feet guarding smaller players like his brother so I like him a lot more at 5 than 4).

Do you think he'd ever crack a playoff rotation?

If not I don't see any reason to give him minutes in anything but mega blowout run.

I'm still not a believer that he's an NBA talent so some bias there but I wouldn't play him at all.

I like the idea of Noel but only a few mpg
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1105 » by ijspeelman » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:03 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

If not I don't see any reason to give him minutes in anything but mega blowout run.

I'm still not a believer that he's an NBA talent so some bias there but I wouldn't play him at all.

I have absolutely no clue. I think the question though is can he crack a playoff rotation? I have absolutely no clue.

I generally like JB, but we know he has some favs he doesn't like to deviate from him so I wouldn't be surprised if IMo was much worse or much better than we thought. As we've said before, his g-league statistics look pretty sweet (good team defense, great efficiency on his shots, and can shoot the three ball at decent big man volume), but will any of it translate to the NBA?

I have absolutely no clue. I think I just personally want to see it in non-garbage time NBA minutes.

Edit:

Look at some of these highlights from yesterday for him on the offense end from 0:56-1:19 and 6:15-6:22. Obviously, we wouldn't run our actions through IMo, but seeing his extra passing seems like it would fit in our system.

Plugging his g-league stats:https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/m/mobleis01d.html

I really don't like boxscore stats, but I like that he is averaging 3.5-4 assists per 36 on low-ish usage. That is about one more than EMo right now. And again, 37% on 3.6 attempts per 36 is pretty sweet for a big man.

The only defensive lowlight I see (can't watch all his defensive possessions because there is no way to re-watch so no highlights and they don't normally show highlights for defense anyway) was debatably was @5:34 where bites on the fake and allows a semi-open middie.

toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1106 » by toooskies » Wed Mar 1, 2023 7:43 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I have absolutely no clue. I think the question though is can he crack a playoff rotation? I have absolutely no clue.

I generally like JB, but we know he has some favs he doesn't like to deviate from him so I wouldn't be surprised if IMo was much worse or much better than we thought. As we've said before, his g-league statistics look pretty sweet (good team defense, great efficiency on his shots, and can shoot the three ball at decent big man volume), but will any of it translate to the NBA?

I have absolutely no clue. I think I just personally want to see it in non-garbage time NBA minutes.

I don't see IMo getting non-garbage-time minutes this year unless we see injuries. It's not fair to throw him straight into a playoff race and the playoffs based on a pretty good G-League season. His role will be different here than it is there and there's not enough time for him to adjust to NBA playoff speeds.

In the meantime we have a realistic chance of making the 3 seed and really don't want to lose home court and drop to 5th. In that context I don't see us giving up minutes to a two-way guy unless we're forced to. Better to let those guys get to work on their games with the Charge until March 24th in their regular season and potentially later in the G-League playoffs.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1107 » by ijspeelman » Wed Mar 1, 2023 8:01 pm

toooskies wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

I don't see IMo getting non-garbage-time minutes this year unless we see injuries. It's not fair to throw him straight into a playoff race and the playoffs based on a pretty good G-League season. His role will be different here than it is there and there's not enough time for him to adjust to NBA playoff speeds.

In the meantime we have a realistic chance of making the 3 seed and really don't want to lose home court and drop to 5th. In that context I don't see us giving up minutes to a two-way guy unless we're forced to. Better to let those guys get to work on their games with the Charge until March 24th in their regular season and potentially later in the G-League playoffs.

I’m more speaking from the perspective of we should have given him more run earlier in the season and if he’s part of next years plans, we should give him some run then.

I definitely do not like the idea of pushing him into a playoff rotation right now.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#1108 » by jasonxxx102 » Wed Mar 1, 2023 8:30 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Edit:

Look at some of these highlights from yesterday for him on the offense end from 0:56-1:19 and 6:15-6:22. Obviously, we wouldn't run our actions through IMo, but seeing his extra passing seems like it would fit in our system.

Plugging his g-league stats:https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/m/mobleis01d.html

I really don't like boxscore stats, but I like that he is averaging 3.5-4 assists per 36 on low-ish usage. That is about one more than EMo right now. And again, 37% on 3.6 attempts per 36 is pretty sweet for a big man.

The only defensive lowlight I see (can't watch all his defensive possessions because there is no way to re-watch so no highlights and they don't normally show highlights for defense anyway) was debatably was @5:34 where bites on the fake and allows a semi-open middie.

Yea that's where you and I differ. I don't want to see him get any non-garbage minutes. Who are those minutes getting taken from? If it's Lamar Stevens occasional 5 minutes? Sure. Even tho a guy like Cedi probably isn't in the playoff rotation I wouldn't take his minutes in the regular season.

I definitely wouldn't take away Dean Wade's minutes. I just don't know who's minutes you're going to give him
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1109 » by ijspeelman » Wed Mar 1, 2023 8:55 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Edit:

Yea that's where you and I differ. I don't want to see him get any non-garbage minutes. Who are those minutes getting taken from? If it's Lamar Stevens occasional 5 minutes? Sure. Even tho a guy like Cedi probably isn't in the playoff rotation I wouldn't take his minutes in the regular season.

I definitely wouldn't take away Dean Wade's minutes. I just don't know who's minutes you're going to give him

I mean, whatever back-up big man we would play will take minutes from someone.

In the playoffs, it becomes match-up dependent who gets more or less minutes, but in the regular season I assume they take some minutes off the top from Allen and Mobley and from Stephen and Cedi. They currently play 33 and 34 minutes respectively which are both above leading MVP candidate Jokic. I do assume if we get a backup playoff big man, they will play at most 10-15 minutes in a tight game since Mobley and Allen can fill the rest of time together or with the back-up big.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1110 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Mar 1, 2023 10:00 pm

If the Rockets don't hold onto WCS after his 10 day, might kick the tires on him. I know he never lasts anywhere he goes but still.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#1111 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 1, 2023 11:11 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Edit:

Aren't we discussing the team's lack of big men depth if a starter or two were to go down?

That's where the minutes come from, and who they go to is going to tend to trickle down and vary with the opponent we're facing.

If I Mobley or Diakite has an advantage over a 10-day man or a buy out player, it's that they've been with the team, they've practiced with the team, they're supposed to know something about our plays and systems.

But let's face it, we want to see them in NBA situations so we can see what we do or don't have. Presumably the coaching staff has a better idea and doesn't need to see them getting actual minutes to draw a conclusion as to whether they're ready, but we'd all like to judge that too. :lol:
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1112 » by ijspeelman » Thu Mar 2, 2023 12:34 am

Garland just said in the pregame interview that the team is encouraging Mobley to shoot more threes in game. Just as an FYI lol
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#1113 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 1:16 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Edit:

Aren't we discussing the team's lack of big men depth if a starter or two were to go down?

That's where the minutes come from, and who they go to is going to tend to trickle down and vary with the opponent we're facing.

If I Mobley or Diakite has an advantage over a 10-day man or a buy out player, it's that they've been with the team, they've practiced with the team, they're supposed to know something about our plays and systems.

But let's face it, we want to see them in NBA situations so we can see what we do or don't have. Presumably the coaching staff has a better idea and doesn't need to see them getting actual minutes to draw a conclusion as to whether they're ready, but we'd all like to judge that too. :lol:

Yea if the premise were 1 or 2 of Allen / Mobley getting injured, I missed that.

In that case, why not cause the season is likely over regardless
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1114 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Mar 2, 2023 3:46 am

ijspeelman wrote:Garland just said in the pregame interview that the team is encouraging Mobley to shoot more threes in game. Just as an FYI lol
I agree with him, Allen isn't stretching the floor, one of them need to. Mobley can still get his looks within the arc too.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,724

Post#1115 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 4:14 am

ijspeelman wrote:Garland just said in the pregame interview that the team is encouraging Mobley to shoot more threes in game. Just as an FYI lol

Mistake. At least if we're trying to advance this year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1116 » by toooskies » Thu Mar 2, 2023 2:58 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:

Yea if the premise were 1 or 2 of Allen / Mobley getting injured, I missed that.

In that case, why not cause the season is likely over regardless

It's for short-term injuries which we'll recover from, so that we don't lose a bunch of games while they're out. For instance, Allen and Mobley's injuries last year that dropped us from a firm playoff seed to the play-in where Allen wasn't 100% yet.

Looks like we went with Sam Merrill on a 10-day. Not sure whose minutes he's going to get in those 10 days.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1117 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 2, 2023 2:59 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
I agree with him, Allen isn't stretching the floor, one of them need to. Mobley can still get his looks within the arc too.

Yep, player development cannot stop just because we're going to make the playoffs.
jasonxxx102
Veteran

Post#1118 » by jasonxxx102 » Thu Mar 2, 2023 3:55 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Yep, player development cannot stop just because we're going to make the playoffs.

I agree but there's also an opportunity cost.

If we're cruising and up big and things are going well, sure throw up some 3s. If we are in a close game where each possession matters I don't want Mobley out there wasting possessions chucking 3s
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1119 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 2, 2023 4:21 pm

jasonxxx102 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I agree with him, Allen isn't stretching the floor, one of them need to. Mobley can still get his looks within the arc too.

I agree but there's also an opportunity cost.

If we're cruising and up big and things are going well, sure throw up some 3s. If we are in a close game where each possession matters I don't want Mobley out there wasting possessions chucking 3s

Mobley isn't a chucker, and he needs to learn how to settle himself and make those shots when his man is ignoring him and they matter. Same thing for Isaac.

The days we tried to get the most we could out of LeBron while trying to make sure the other guys hurt us as little as possible just so we could make a playoff run are dead and gone.

The days of doing just enough to lose should be in our rear view mirror, it's time to start daring to try to do what it takes to win. That's what Donovan was trying to inspire, but he can't do it all by himself.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1120 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 2, 2023 5:02 pm

Does anyone else remember the time in a playoff game LeBron told his teammates "carpe diem" ... aka "sieze the day" .. and then regretted it a minute later when Andy Varejao got the ball from James and instead of resetting the play like he would usually do, tried to drive and score?

Gotta be committed to this stuff, not just pay lip service. :lol:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers