Post Mortem 2023-24

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,732

Re: Post Mortem 2023-24 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:18 am

ijspeelman wrote:What is the exact day that Mitchell can sign the better extension this off-season?

Pretty sure the first day of free agency.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:27 am

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Even if the Lakers don't have the assets to make an offer for Mitchell/Garland, the Cavs moving one of them satisfies one other richer buyer on the market, giving them an opportunity at whoever Mitchell/Garland displaces as well as making a lesser prize (Dejounte Murray?) cheaper.

There aren't a lot of sellers in the market right now (Atlanta and... ???) and so destabilizing any team serves the buyers without many assets.

The thing is, Rich doesn't have to leak anything publicly to make that happen, he should be able to back-channel the information where it needs to go.

He does have an obligation first and foremost to Garland.

Maybe LeBron doesn't have time to work the back-channels, maybe he's the leak. :shrugs:

I doubt Garland was ready to say that he didn't want to play with Mitchell anymore literally an hour after the Cavs got eliminated.

Remember when I said Mitchell putting his teammates on blast when everyone was injured and he wasn't playing particularly well was a bad idea?

There was definitely some body language on Garland's part after that that raised my eyebrows. I think the timing was 100% Klutch, but Garland was dealt a tough hand last season, he got dogpiled by the fanbase, and Mitchell getting publicity frustrated probably didn't help.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,455

Post#23 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 12:49 am

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:What is the exact day that Mitchell can sign the better extension this off-season?

Pretty sure the first day of free agency.
My thought too, which stinks.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:08 am

It's really unfortunate that Allen missed the Celtics series because it really felt like overcoming adversity was helping this team come together and squash some of this stuff. It's also unfortunate in that it now seems we'll never know whether this unconventional starting lineup could have been more of a matchup asset than liability when it mattered most.

I have no idea where Altman goes from here. The first question is whether Mitchell extends, and to the extent JBB needs to go before he'll do that, then JBB is gone.

I'm not trading anyone until Mitchell actually extends though. This can't be a situation where Mitchell decides he doesn't like the return on a Garland trade and then doesn't extend. The extension comes first. If Mitchell won't commit to that, he's made the decision for you. You trade Mitchell.

If Mitchell does extend, then you talk it out with Garland and see if it's fixable. This feels like Kyrie 2.0 to me except Garland isn't Kyrie so maybe you can turn it around. At least know that before you do anything.

What absolutely cannot happen is the Cavs taking a bath with Garland or Allen trades. You can't take back a bunch of nickle and dimes like you did with the Kyrie trade. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is under contract for another year. No one is going anywhere unless Altman signs off on it and that's the approach he needs to take this go around.

I'm against trading Allen as I think we lose to the Magic in 6 without his Game 1 & 2 performances. I don't know whether you can come back from your teammates basically leaking that you should have taken a shot and suited up though (unless the teammates were Morris or TT, then the solution is pretty simple). That's not an opinion that teammates should be sharing with media. That's a really **** thing to do.

Which brings me to my last point: This Desperate Housewives of the Cleveland Cavaliers nonsense is ridiculous. Joe Vardon should not have press access to the Cavs facilities going forward. He's been a **** stirrer going back to Dion/Kyrie. Lloyd was never a mouthpiece like Fedor, but he wasn't a gossip columnist like Vardon and I was disappointed that he'd share a byline with Vardon in an article like that. Members of the press who are going to deliberately undermine your organization shouldn't get access to it.

This isn’t the White House. The future of the free world isn’t at stake. You don't have to grant credentials.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#25 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 2:33 am

jbk1234 wrote:It's really unfortunate that Allen missed the Celtics series because it really felt like overcoming adversity was helping this team come together and squash some of this stuff. It's also unfortunate in that it now seems we'll never know whether this unconventional starting lineup could have been more of a matchup asset than liability when it mattered most.

I have no idea where Altman goes from here. The first question is whether Mitchell extends, and to the extent JBB needs to go before he'll do that, then JBB is gone.

I'm not trading anyone until Mitchell actually extends though. This can't be a situation where Mitchell decides he doesn't like the return on a Garland trade and then doesn't extend. The extension comes first. If Mitchell won't commit to that, he's made the decision for you. You trade Mitchell.

If Mitchell does extend, then you talk it out with Garland and see if it's fixable. This feels like Kyrie 2.0 to me except Garland isn't Kyrie so maybe you can turn it around. At least know that before you do anything.

What absolutely cannot happen is the Cavs taking a bath with Garland or Allen trades. You can't take back a bunch of nickle and dimes like you did with the Kyrie trade. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is under contract for another year. No one is going anywhere unless Altman signs off on it and that's the approach he needs to take this go around.

I'm against trading Allen as I think we lose to the Magic in 6 without his Game 1 & 2 performances. I don't know whether you can come back from your teammates basically leaking that you should have taken a shot and suited up though (unless the teammates were Morris or TT, then the solution is pretty simple). That's not an opinion that teammates should be sharing with media. That's a really **** thing to do.

Which brings me to my last point: This Desperate Housewives of the Cleveland Cavaliers nonsense is ridiculous. Joe Vardon should not have press access to the Cavs facilities going forward. He's been a **** stirrer going back to Dion/Kyrie. Lloyd was never a mouthpiece like Fedor, but he wasn't a gossip columnist like Vardon and I was disappointed that he'd share a byline with Vardon in an article like that. Members of the press who are going to deliberately undermine your organization shouldn't get access to it.

This isn’t the White House. The future of the free world isn’t at stake. You don't have to grant credentials.
Allen probably at least should've tried a numbing shot, i will say that. If it didn't work, okay.

But the rumor is that Allen hated jb's game 3 defensive game plan against the Magic and then the guy didn't play after that game 4. I asked if it was a boycott and now that kinda raises your ears a bit.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:It's really unfortunate that Allen missed the Celtics series because it really felt like overcoming adversity was helping this team come together and squash some of this stuff. It's also unfortunate in that it now seems we'll never know whether this unconventional starting lineup could have been more of a matchup asset than liability when it mattered most.

Allen probably at least should tried a numbing shot, i will say that. If it didn't work, okay.

But the rumor is that Allen hated jb's game 3 defensive game plan against the Magic and then the guy didn't play after that game 4. I asked if it was a boycott and now that kinda raises your ears a bit.

Yeah, I just watched Lloyd and he said it was a difficult article to write because he knows these guys and that basically everything fell apart in 2 weeks. Apparently, there were people in the organization who felt like Allen could've taken the court and that he shouldn't be back after refusing to take the shot, so that adds a little more context.

Lloyd even acknowledged that Allen was the only starter to play 81 games straight, there was no way he was healthy for all of them, and said that those *pieces didn't really add up.* I would hope he didn't deliberately tank a playoff series that appeared winnable to get JBB fired. That seems very unlike Allen to me.

I still have an issue with article dropping that quickly after the last game. It seems like a cooling down period would've been helpful.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#27 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Allen probably at least should tried a numbing shot, i will say that. If it didn't work, okay.

Yeah, I just watched Lloyd and he said it was a difficult article to write because he knows these guys and that basically everything fell apart in 2 weeks. Apparently, there were people in the organization who felt like Allen could've taken the court and that he shouldn't be back after refusing to take the shot, so that adds a little more context.

Lloyd even acknowledged that Allen was the only starter to play 81 games straight, there was no way he was healthy for all of them, and said that those *pieces didn't really add up.* I would hope he didn't deliberately tank a playoff series that appeared winnable to get JBB fired. That seems very unlike Allen to me.

I still have an issue with article dropping that quickly after the last game. It seems like a cooling down period would've been helpful.
It seems so out of character to me too. Why when i asked back then, i said i didn't even believe it. Also the article that posted he was disgruntled with jb's game 3 defensive gameplan against the Magic, was not reputable at all.

Idk, it is so wierd. But maybe it goes much deeper than any of us know.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 17, 2024 2:48 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

I'm sure Mitchell was playing with a bunch of pain killers, perhaps Garland and LeVert as well. Possibly even Mobley if that ankle sprain was more than a minor twist. So, I get that people in favor of "soldiering through" are going to be frustrated if Allen doesn't do the same, but I would hope with time they'd understand it's a personal health decision that Jarrett has to be free to make on his own without added pressure.

But beyond even that ...

Jarrett played through pain against the Knicks last year, but the media didn't make a big deal about that; instead they let him be constantly roasted for wilting under the heat and such. Garland never made it back to 100% and looks like trash at the moment to people who don't get it. Mobley and Mitchell risked the same, but were at least able to show something before it ended to spare their reputation.

It's worth noting that the media was willfully holding back stories they felt were important enough to run once the coach was fired or the season was over. Presumably those guys still have connections with the organization they didn't care to burn, perhaps the same connections which gave them access to the information in anticipation of JBB being fired earlier in the season.

You'd think all the drama went out the door with LeBron ...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:02 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Allen probably at least should tried a numbing shot, i will say that. If it didn't work, okay.

I'm sure Mitchell was playing with a bunch of pain killers, perhaps Garland and LeVert as well. Possibly even Mobley if that ankle sprain was more than a minor twist. So, I get that people in favor of "soldiering through" are going to be frustrated if Allen doesn't do the same, but I would hope with time they'd understand it's a personal health decision that Jarrett has to be free to make on his own without added pressure.

But beyond even that ...

Jarrett played through pain against the Knicks last year, but the media didn't make a big deal about that; instead they let him be constantly roasted for wilting under the heat and such. Garland never made it back to 100% and looks like trash at the moment to people who don't get it. Mobley and Mitchell risked the same, but were at least able to show something before it ended to spare their reputation.

It's worth noting that the media was willfully holding back stories they felt were important enough to run once the coach was fired or the season was over. Presumably those guys still have connections with the organization they didn't care to burn, perhaps the same connections which gave them access to the information in anticipation of JBB being fired earlier in the season.

Well, if information was only embargoed until the season was over, that's on the people giving out the information. This is a pretty good case study as to why you don't do that. Assuming Mitchell extends, Altman is going to have to take his time and even be willing to bring everyone back under a new coach. Every potential trade partner sees a buy-low opportunity and this summer may not be the right time to make moves.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#30 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 17, 2024 3:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

But beyond even that ...

Well, if information was only embargoed until the season was over, that's on the people giving out the information. This is a pretty good case study as to why you don't do that. Assuming Mitchell extends, Altman is going to have to take his time and even be willing to bring everyone back under a new coach. Every potential trade partner sees a buy-low opportunity and this summer may not be the right time to make moves.

Hard to say how it went down, but there's a quid pro quo. If the team strictly played hard ball with media access like you suggest, they would likely end up with none. Has Fedor said anything about any of this? He is their official mouth piece and likely would have been told if it was the FO preparing the media for a hit job on JBB back in December.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2024 3:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

But beyond even that ...

Hard to say how it went down, but there's a quid pro quo. If the team strictly played hard ball with media access like you suggest, they would likely end up with none. Has Fedor said anything about any of this? He is their official mouth piece and likely would have been told if it was the FO preparing the media for a hit job on JBB back in December.

The Thunder doesn't leak at all as an organization. You're not running for office, you're running a basketball organization. Also, this wasn't just the players spilling tea, way too many team sources, or sources within the organization, are quoted in that article. You don't undercut your own bargaining position. You don't attempt to explain a decision you haven't made yet. Altman should be letting everyone in the organization know that they hurt themselves here and it's not acceptable.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#32 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 17, 2024 4:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

But beyond even that ...

Looked like Fedor let some other columnist write for CLE after the Cavs were eliminated. Which may be a wise chocie to sit this one out.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 17, 2024 4:41 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Looked like Fedor let some other columnist write for CLE after the Cavs were eliminated. Which may be a wise chocie to sit this one out.

Cavs can control Fedor, but they can't control everyone, and even Fedor will want a payoff eventually.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#34 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 18, 2024 11:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Cavs can control Fedor, but they can't control everyone, and even Fedor will want a payoff eventually.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2024/05/what-im-hearing-about-cavs-coach-jb-bickerstaff-if-not-him-then-who-terry-pluto.html?outputType=amp

It's not Fedor but Pluto speaks.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 20, 2024 1:34 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2024/05/does-jb-bickerstaff-have-a-case-to-remain-cavs-coach-hey-chris.html?outputType=amp

Fedor finally speaks. Yean, the organization controlling the narrative a lot with this piece. A lot of spin on it.

My favorite part "Despite the deafening noise and the many lingering questions about Bickerstaff as a tactician — in-game adjustments, lineups, rotations, minute allocation, X’s and O’s and offensive schemes".

Like bro, if this cat lacks in all those areas (and he does), it is time to move on lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#36 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 21, 2024 4:06 am

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/report-cleveland-cavaliers-owner-to-be-significantly-involved-in-offseason

Time to buckle up, Dan is allegedly gonna be heavily involved in decisions this summer.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#37 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 21, 2024 2:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/report-cleveland-cavaliers-owner-to-be-significantly-involved-in-offseason

Time to buckle up, Dan is allegedly gonna be heavily involved in decisions this summer.

As he or someone representing his interests should be. Lots of big decisions to make (or not make).
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 639

Post#38 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Fri May 24, 2024 5:44 pm

Media day with Koby

Summary of things that caught my ear:

1. Big thank you to JB for helping the team through the rebuild.

2. Can't discuss the Mitchell contract but enjoyed the exit interview. Lots of talk of the future and Mitchell being happy in Cleveland.

3. Pushes back against the fit issues, believes the net rating is really good. Likes the net rating of Allen+ Mobley. He doesn't see major roster changes, data speaks to the core being really good. Wants to find small changes to boost the tweak. Looks at the team as a young team with a lot of potential.

4. Coaching search is very specific compared to 5 years ago. Splitting time for the search with the drafted related things going on.

5. Talks about difficulty of developing a top draft pick with winning at the highest level. Loves giving them playoff experience this early in their career.

6. Niang discussed he felt like he could have been better. :lol: koby believes Strus is much better basketball player than when we acquired him.

7. Thinking about how much wear and tear is being put on players during the season. NBA cup intensity, post season intensity. Talked about injuries. Injuries made them realize they do have some depth.

8. Having a coach before the draft is probably too aggressive.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#39 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 25, 2024 3:51 pm

KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:

Media day with Koby

2. Can't discuss the Mitchell contract but enjoyed the exit interview. Lots of talk of the future and Mitchell being happy in Cleveland.

3. Pushes back against the fit issues, believes the net rating is really good. Likes the net rating of Allen+ Mobley. He doesn't see major roster changes, data speaks to the core being really good. Wants to find small changes to boost the tweak. Looks at the team as a young team with a lot of potential.

4. Coaching search is very specific compared to 5 years ago. Splitting time for the search with the drafted related things going on.

5. Talks about difficulty of developing a top draft pick with winning at the highest level. Loves giving them playoff experience this early in their career.

6. Niang discussed he felt like he could have been better. :lol: koby believes Strus is much better basketball player than when we acquired him.

7. Thinking about how much wear and tear is being put on players during the season. NBA cup intensity, post season intensity. Talked about injuries. Injuries made them realize they do have some depth.

3. As some of us suspected, Koby will probably have to be the next one let go. However, maybe a new coach makes 2 small scoring guards and 2 bigs who don't shoot work. The main thing is Klutch can not taint Garland and Allen can get over the teammate ridicule. If the core 4 is here next season, maybe a new coach can convince Mobley or Allen to come off the bench. Maybe Garland needs to get on that Tristan regimen so he can look like swole 46 year old Bibby.

5. I wouldn't call #20 a "top" pick but i think getting the pick right is important since the Jazz control our next 5 drafts after this one.

8. Well, that sucks because free agency is only a few days after that. So the new coach is gonna have basically no say on the construction of the team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#40 » by JonFromVA » Sun May 26, 2024 6:24 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
KGDirkTD_Fan wrote:

Media day with Koby

3. As some of us suspected, Koby will probably have to be the next one let go. However, maybe a new coach makes 2 small scoring guards and 2 bigs who don't shoot work. The main thing is Klutch can not taint Garland and Allen can get over the teammate ridicule. If the core 4 is here next season, maybe a new coach can convince Mobley or Allen to come off the bench. Maybe Garland needs to get on that Tristan regimen so he can look like swole 46 year old Bibby.

5. I wouldn't call #20 a "top" pick but i think getting the pick right is important since the Jazz control our next 5 drafts after this one.

8. Well, that sucks because free agency is only a few days after that. So the new coach is gonna have basically no say on the construction of the team.

We'll have to judge Koby by his actions not his words, because the press conference was just trying to calm any fires still burning since the season ended. That being said, sticking with what we have and adding a coach with some ideas of how to work with it is a pretty good approach compared to ... selling off assets for 50 cents on the dollar to just get a more modern lineup.

One interesting point I read lately was that Brook Lopez started his transition from post-up big to 3pt bomber under Kenny Atkinson. Lopez went from 14 attempts to 387 under Atkinson which is like going from Allen to Niang volume in a season. Lopez started out 1-7 but the Nets didn't have to wait long as he shot almost 40% in November. So, who knows, but consistent volume is going to make consistent shooting more likely.

I suppose the idea here is JBB couldn't really develop our two bigs or our two guards to be better offensively than they were individually, but if a new coach wants to continue with them, hopefully there will be an actual plan we try to follow.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers