Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,447

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1721 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 12, 2024 11:07 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Pelicans allegedly wanna move Ingram. If Mitchell refuses to extend, maybe we can look to acquire Ingram. Their money matches perfect. I'd see if i could get em to add a future first or something too.

Brandon Ingram would be more of a flight risk than Mitchell. You can't extend him within six months of the deal. You'll have to overpay him. He's also nowhere near as good as Mitchell.

If I trade Mitchell to NO I'm at least getting Murphy back.
NO isn't giving up Murphy for an expiring Mitchell.

The return on Mitchell isn't gonna be great, if he declines to extend for the 2nd summer in a row.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,682

Post#1722 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 12, 2024 11:53 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Pelicans allegedly wanna move Ingram. If Mitchell refuses to extend, maybe we can look to acquire Ingram. Their money matches perfect. I'd see if i could get em to add a future first or something too.

Brandon Ingram would be more of a flight risk than Mitchell. You can't extend him within six months of the deal. You'll have to overpay him. He's also nowhere near as good as Mitchell.

The return on Mitchell isn't gonna be great, if he declines to extend for the 2nd summer in a row.

If Mitchell is traded to a team he will extend with, the return will be better than a lot of Cavs fans fear. If Mitchell stays and we end up dealing Allen or Garland, as some fans hope, than Murphy needs to come back or we need to be talking to OKC.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,760

Post#1723 » by toooskies » Sun May 12, 2024 11:56 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Sure it will. There will be some team that will be confident they can retain him and this will offer more than a rental price.

Whereas the only reason Ingram might want to stay in Cleveland is because we'd be the only team pot-committed to overpay him.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1724 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Brandon Ingram would be more of a flight risk than Mitchell. You can't extend him within six months of the deal. You'll have to overpay him. He's also nowhere near as good as Mitchell.

Sure it will. There will be some team that will be confident they can retain him and this will offer more than a rental price.

Whereas the only reason Ingram might want to stay in Cleveland is because we'd be the only team pot-committed to overpay him.
I mean time will tell but if he refuses to extend with the Cavs 2 summers in a row, outside of the Knicks, Nets, and possibly the Heat idk how any other team could view him as anything more than a rental.

I view it as a Kawhi to the Raptors type return. Get a decent player, maybe just maybe a prospect, and a future pick.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1725 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:58 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:NO isn't giving up Murphy for an expiring Mitchell.

I mean time will tell but if he refuses to extend with the Cavs 2 summers in a row, outside of the Knicks, Nets, and possibly the Heat idk how any other team could view him as anything more than a rental.

I view it as a Kawhi to the Raptors type return. Get a decent player, maybe just maybe a prospect, and a future pick.

If all you're offered is S&T value, then there's no point in trading him this summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1726 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 3:10 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Sure it will. There will be some team that will be confident they can retain him and this will offer more than a rental price.

If all you're offered is S&T value, then there's no point in trading him this summer.
Of course there is, because a S&T is not a guarantee. Getting any sort of assets back for him this summer is better than no return assets next summer.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1727 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:32 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I mean time will tell but if he refuses to extend with the Cavs 2 summers in a row, outside of the Knicks, Nets, and possibly the Heat idk how any other team could view him as anything more than a rental.

Of course there is, because a S&T is not a guarantee. Getting any sort of assets back for him this summer is better than no return assets next summer.

The only team with the cap space to sign him out right is the Nets. If he's willing to sign there, I expect their offer to reflect that. If he only wants to go to L.A., Miami, or the Knicks, they'll need our help.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1728 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 12:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The only team with the cap space to sign him out right is the Nets. If he's willing to sign there, I expect their offer to reflect that. If he only wants to go to L.A., Miami, or the Knicks, they'll need our help.
I just wouldn't bank on that man. Too many times in my life, I've witnessed teams clear cap space.

I understand the benefit is 1 more shot at the playoffs with him but idk if that is worth the risk of potetinally losing him for nothing.

But don't get me wrong, i believe Koby would let him walk for nothing, i just don't think it is the best idea.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1729 » by toooskies » Mon May 13, 2024 1:10 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Of course there is, because a S&T is not a guarantee. Getting any sort of assets back for him this summer is better than no return assets next summer.

I just wouldn't bank on that man. Too many times in my life, I've witnessed teams clear cap space.

I understand the benefit is 1 more shot at the playoffs with him but idk if that is worth the risk of potetinally losing him for nothing.

But don't get me wrong, i believe Koby would let him walk for nothing, i just don't think it is the best idea.

The problem with exchanging Mitchell for Ingram is that Ingram is much worse and you still risk losing him for nothing at the same time you'd lose Mitchell.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1730 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:27 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The problem with exchanging Mitchell for Ingram is that Ingram is much worse and you still risk losing him for nothing at the same time you'd lose Mitchell.

Ingram isn't going to have good trade value. His recent playoff performance coupled with his contract expectations will chill his market. Now, if we trade Mitchell to a third a team, we could ship an expiring LeVert and then split the return with the Pelicans. I don't hate that idea, but the price I'd pay is definitely a wait-and-see price as far as extending him.

The thing that's scary about Ingram is he's a floor raiser for a bad team, particularly a team that isn't a free agent destination anyway. If he's willing to be the best player on a bad team, a max salary isn't out of the question for him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1731 » by toooskies » Mon May 13, 2024 2:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I just wouldn't bank on that man. Too many times in my life, I've witnessed teams clear cap space.

Ingram isn't going to have good trade value. His recent playoff performance coupled with his contract expectations will chill his market. Now, if we trade Mitchell to a third a team, we could ship an expiring LeVert and then split the return with the Pelicans. I don't hate that idea, but the price I'd pay is definitely a wait-and-see price as far as extending him.

The thing that's scary about Ingram is he's a floor raiser for a bad team, particularly a team that isn't a free agent destination anyway. If he's willing to be the best player on a bad team, a max salary isn't out of the question for him.

The question is if his value gets down to something like Strus + LeVert + #20 + 2031 1st, do we make that offer? It's a little more than rental pricing, but Gilbert might be more willing to pay the tax with Ishbia emptying his pockets on the Suns.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1732 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:32 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:The problem with exchanging Mitchell for Ingram is that Ingram is much worse and you still risk losing him for nothing at the same time you'd lose Mitchell.

The question is if his value gets down to something like Strus + LeVert + #20 + 2031 1st, do we make that offer? It's a little more than rental pricing, but Gilbert might be more willing to pay the tax with Ishbia emptying his pockets on the Suns.

I suspect his value is about there on an expiring contract. I guess extend and trades are legal now, so you could do a trade like that if you got the numbers worked out, but the Pelicans have real holes and Griffin will insist on Allen or Garland with the Pelicans sending picks back and I have less than zero interest in that.

Short of Mitchell declining an extension and involving them in a three team deal, it's s just really difficult to see a deal between these two teams with the Pelicans rumored to want to extend Murphy this summer (unless Murphy turns down anything less than a max extension). If we end up moving Allen, OKC likely outbids them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1733 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 2:56 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It doesn't have to be Ingram.

We just know for a fact that if Mitchell fails to extend again, he doesn't wanna be here.

You wouldn't know that for sure with Ingram. Plus i think even being 6'8" he could probably play 2 or 3, if ya found a better fit at SF with #20.

Idk, just an idea since their money matches so close.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#1734 » by KuruptedCav » Mon May 13, 2024 3:14 pm

Mitchell for Ingram needs more added from the Pelicans than they should be willing to move.

And if the destination is somewhere else, then it depends on the asset split.

I’m glad the Cavs now have LeVert, Strus, Nieng, Wade as players who can fill out trades.

I still think the most likely scenario is Mitchell extending and the team pivoting to a Mitchell/Mobley core with Allen and Garland eventually being moved to add better complementary players (not necessarily better players).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,480

Post#1735 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 13, 2024 4:00 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:Would you and/or Lakers even consider ... Lebron for Mitchell swap?

I'm sure you guys would love Lebron back?

I'm not sure Lakers want to trade Bron unless he asked for It, but If It happend could It work - sure something else would be involved?
Edit: guess that answers that, Bron unless exercises his option can't be traded, but If he wanted to go back to you guys would you?

Mitchell for James?

Nah, not unless it's 2025 and Don is going to sign as a UFA with another team unless we S&T trade him to LA.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1736 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 4:33 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:Mitchell for Ingram needs more added from the Pelicans than they should be willing to move.

I’m glad the Cavs now have LeVert, Strus, Nieng, Wade as players who can fill out trades.

I still think the most likely scenario is Mitchell extending and the team pivoting to a Mitchell/Mobley core with Allen and Garland eventually being moved to add better complementary players (not necessarily better players).

After this playoff run, Niang is negative value for sure.

Wade's injury history, always being at the end of the season, probably makes him less desirable.

I would probably hold onto Strus, guy would be a good 2, coming off the bench if they're able to get 3 starters for Allen and Mitchell.

I'm cool with moving on from LeVert this summer even if the Cavs make no other moves. I'm over the hot and cold inconsistencies. Just like good and bad Cedi all over again.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1737 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 13, 2024 7:48 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:Mitchell for Ingram needs more added from the Pelicans than they should be willing to move.

Wade's injury history, always being at the end of the season, probably makes him less desirable.

I would probably hold onto Strus, guy would be a good 2, coming off the bench if they're able to get 3 starters for Allen and Mitchell.

I'm cool with moving on from LeVert this summer even if the Cavs make no other moves. I'm over the hot and cold inconsistencies. Just like good and bad Cedi all over again.

LeVert is a pretty decent cut above Cedi for what we want. I mean we can ask him to run some offense, whereas that was usually a bridge too far for Cedi and Cedi's defense was more shaky too.

IMO, when it comes to roleplayers, consistency comes from defining their role and letting them play to their strengths. You get guys like Niang and Merrill open and let them shoot, you try to avoid turning them in dribblers and protect them defensively when they're in the game. Okoro gives consistent effort on defense which is valuable but it's not game breaking and we need something from him offensively and his shooting isn't quite there. If he was a better finisher, you could make a great case to play at a faster pace when he's in the game.

We can try to find some multi-skilled guys like a Josh Hart so when his shot goes cold maybe he's still giving you boards or something, but they're not usually sitting on the bargain bin waiting to play for us. We can trade our draft pick after we take him for someone ready to contribute right away, but we can still screw that up (Jiri Welsch) and it may cost us in the future just when we'd like to inject some low cost / young talent.

We were interested in PJ Washington and Naz Reid last Summer before settling for Niang, but we lacked the assets. Frankly we were lucky to figure out how to get Strus.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1738 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 8:54 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

LeVert is a pretty decent cut above Cedi for what we want. I mean we can ask him to run some offense, whereas that was usually a bridge too far for Cedi and Cedi's defense was more shaky too.

IMO, when it comes to roleplayers, consistency comes from defining their role and letting them play to their strengths. You get guys like Niang and Merrill open and let them shoot, you try to avoid turning them in dribblers and protect them defensively when they're in the game. Okoro gives consistent effort on defense which is valuable but it's not game breaking and we need something from him offensively and his shooting isn't quite there. If he was a better finisher, you could make a great case to play at a faster pace when he's in the game.

We can try to find some multi-skilled guys like a Josh Hart so when his shot goes cold maybe he's still giving you boards or something, but they're not usually sitting on the bargain bin waiting to play for us. We can trade our draft pick after we take him for someone ready to contribute right away, but we can still screw that up (Jiri Welsch) and it may cost us in the future just when we'd like to inject some low cost / young talent.

We were interested in PJ Washington and Naz Reid last Summer before settling for Niang, but we lacked the assets. Frankly we were lucky to figure out how to get Strus.
I don't wanna trade #20 under any circumstance. The future is so cloudy, just getting a cheap young guy under control for 4 or 5 years is exactly what this team needs. If he turns into a stud, great but if he only becomes a role player, that is fine too.

We wasted time on Windler, time to scout better and make use of a late 1st rounder.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1739 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 13, 2024 9:14 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:After this playoff run, Niang is negative value for sure.

I don't wanna trade #20 under any circumstance. The future is so cloudy, just getting a cheap young guy under control for 4 or 5 years is exactly what this team needs. If he turns into a stud, great but if he only becomes a role player, that is fine too.

We wasted time on Windler, time to scout better and make use of a late 1st rounder.

I agree, but I bet JBB would love to have a Naz Reid or PJ Washington level player right now.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1740 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 13, 2024 9:29 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I agree, but I bet JBB would love to have a Naz Reid or PJ Washington level player right now.
For sure but neither guy was ever realistic.

Naz was off the market before the moratorium even opened and the Cavs were avoiding the tax like the plague this season so getting Washington in a S&T was never gonna happen. We also didn't have the pieces to get Washington, i guess is why we got Niang.

We'll see what the Cavs do. They have the MLE, they have a 1st rounder, they have plenty of tradeable guys. Regardless which way they go, the roster can be upgraded this summer.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers