ImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs ECSF: Cavs (4) / Celtics (1) (1-4)

Moderator: ijspeelman

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

2024 Playoffs ECSF: Cavs (4) / Celtics (1) (1-4) 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Mon May 6, 2024 1:33 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,422

Re: 2024 Playoffs ECSF: Cavs (4) / Celtics (1) (0-0) 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 1:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Hopefully Allen can go Tuesday. Also, anyone have any info as far as Wade? It's been two months which is a long time for a non-surgery injury.

Pulling this in from the other thread as it is relevant to this series.

No reports Wade can run yet, so i think it will be a miracle if he plays in this seires, no matter how long or short.

Allen still hasn't practiced yet. I did see on Twitter someone suggested he could wear like a protective thing on his abdomin, not sure how realistic that is. It would be nice to get him back at some point, see if he can fight through the pain. If a short series, I wouldn't hold my breath though.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#3 » by ijspeelman » Mon May 6, 2024 4:20 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Hopefully Allen can go Tuesday. Also, anyone have any info as far as Wade? It's been two months which is a long time for a non-surgery injury.

No reports Wade can run yet, so i think it will be a miracle if he plays in this seires, no matter how long or short.

Allen still hasn't practiced yet. I did see on Twitter someone suggested he could wear like a protective thing on his abdomin, not sure how realistic that is. It would be nice to get him back at some point, see if he can fight through the pain. If a short series, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Its weird bc Fedor somewhat reported that Allen was warming up pre-game 6, but not at all in game 7. We will have to see I guess

If we want any sort of advantage in this series, its going to be through the bigs
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#4 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 4:48 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Its weird bc Fedor somewhat reported that Allen was warming up pre-game 6, but not at all in game 7. We will have to see I guess

If we want any sort of advantage in this series, its going to be through the bigs
Yup, i low-key think in theory, TJ coulda situationally had a role in this seires too, as a ball handler. Just so he could get Garland and Mitchell more off ball looks.

Seeing what Suggs and Harris were able to do defensively in round 1, it absolutely terrifies me to think about what Jrue and White are about to do to.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:57 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Pulling this in from the other thread as it is relevant to this series.

Yup, i low-key think in theory, TJ coulda situationally had a role in this seires too, as a ball handler. Just so he could get Garland and Mitchell more off ball looks.

Seeing what Suggs and Harris were able to do defensively in round 1, it absolutely terrifies me to think about what Jrue and White are about to do to.

At this point neither TJ nor Wade will be able to play themselves into game shape by the end of the series let alone the start.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,462

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 6, 2024 6:45 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Pulling this in from the other thread as it is relevant to this series.

If Garland and Mitchell were anywhere close to 100%, I'd have some confidence they'd out-quick Holiday and White. They still might, but it's going to be hard in game 1 when Boston will have more rest and the crowd to fuel their energy.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 7:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

At this point neither TJ nor Wade will be able to play themselves into game shape by the end of the series let alone the start.
True. I would like to see Wade give it a go at some point this seires, if his knee was feeling up to it, even if he didn't have his wind.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#8 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 7:08 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

If Garland and Mitchell were anywhere close to 100%, I'd have some confidence they'd out-quick Holiday and White. They still might, but it's going to be hard in game 1 when Boston will have more rest and the crowd to fuel their energy.
I think game 1 will actually be the Cavs best shot at stealing a game on the road.

It is the rest vs rust debate. C's have been off since last Wednesday. But i am also fully aware they could come out a demolish a tired and banged up Cavs team. There's no 2 days rest anywhere in this series, so game 1 off 1.5 days rest may be the Cavs best chance.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#9 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 6, 2024 7:16 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yup, i low-key think in theory, TJ coulda situationally had a role in this seires too, as a ball handler. Just so he could get Garland and Mitchell more off ball looks.

I think game 1 will actually be the Cavs best shot at stealing a game on the road.

It is the rest vs rust debate. C's have been off since last Wednesday. But i am also fully aware they could come out a demolish a tired and banged up Cavs team. There's no 2 days rest anywhere in this series, so game 1 off 1.5 days rest may be the Cavs best chance.

Could be, especially if the Celtics don't take us seriously, and sometimes the Cavs shoot better without a lot of rest; but I'm thinking more the physical constraints on a soon to be 34 year old Jrue and whether we can exploit him. If the C's perimeter D holds up, well, we'd better protect the rim, control the boards, and hope they brick a lot of J's (those J's).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#10 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 7:36 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Could be, especially if the Celtics don't take us seriously, and sometimes the Cavs shoot better without a lot of rest; but I'm thinking more the physical constraints on a soon to be 34 year old Jrue and whether we can exploit him. If the C's perimeter D holds up, well, we'd better protect the rim, control the boards, and hope they brick a lot of J's (those J's).
I have no real read on it but i assume Jrue and White both end up All-Defense this season. So even if Mitchell and Garland somehow get off against them, i assume it will take a lot of energy to do so.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:48 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I think game 1 will actually be the Cavs best shot at stealing a game on the road.

I have no real read on it but i assume Jrue and White both end up All-Defense this season. So even if Mitchell and Garland somehow get off against them, i assume it will take a lot of energy to do so.

Jrue has been showing signs of slippage on the defensive end for years.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#12 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 7:56 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

He's been All-Defense the past 3 seasons, so idk if I can agree with that.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,728

Post#13 » by toooskies » Mon May 6, 2024 8:49 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I have no real read on it but i assume Jrue and White both end up All-Defense this season. So even if Mitchell and Garland somehow get off against them, i assume it will take a lot of energy to do so.

All-Defense is the most narrative-driven of all the awards and does not reflect reality so much.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#14 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 6, 2024 8:55 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I have no real read on it but i assume Jrue and White both end up All-Defense this season. So even if Mitchell and Garland somehow get off against them, i assume it will take a lot of energy to do so.

We're talking specifically his ability to stay in front of quick guards like Mitchell and Garland. From what I've seen when we've played against him, I think he's become exploitable in that specific area.

When Jrue was a couple years younger holding down the back court with Jevon Carter and/or Grayson Allen with Brook Lopez and Giannis in the front court ... they were a terror, but times change.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#15 » by ijspeelman » Mon May 6, 2024 9:07 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

All-Defense is the most narrative-driven of all the awards and does not reflect reality so much.

I really think Jrue was a top two on-ball guard defender in 2021-22 and 2022-23 (the other being Caruso). I'll be honest I haven't watched much of the Celts this year so I have no idea if he's really really fallen off.

Either way, a White and Holiday back-court should give our guards a lot of fits
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 9:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

We're talking specifically his ability to stay in front of quick guards like Mitchell and Garland. From what I've seen when we've played against him, I think he's become exploitable in that specific area.

When Jrue was a couple years younger holding down the back court with Jevon Carter and/or Grayson Allen with Brook Lopez and Giannis in the front court ... they were a terror, but times change.
I guess we'll see. I'll watch the first 2 games of the series for sure.

I've watched some Celtics this season but more in passing than devoted to the game.

Hauser's shooting off the bench and the White/Jrue defensive tandem are my biggest worries.

I assume Horford is gonna pull Mobley outta the paint while also being able to bully him in the post. Guy is almost 38 years old. I think Mobley should face up and try to take him off the bounce a lot. Use his speed and length. If Mobley is trying those weak hooks, weak push shots, and weak up through the chest to draw contact (that is rarely called)... I think the Cavs are in for a short tough series.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#17 » by ijspeelman » Tue May 7, 2024 2:20 pm

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#18 » by ijspeelman » Tue May 7, 2024 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter

BUT

Read on Twitter

I have never been this interested in a man running back and forth
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#19 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 7, 2024 4:07 pm

For real lol at least he's finally running
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#20 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue May 7, 2024 10:45 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
Read on Twitter

BUT

Read on Twitter

I have never been this interested in a man running back and forth
Allen has been ruled out too.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers