ImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (4-3)

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,418

Re: 2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (4-3) 

Post#221 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 5, 2024 8:22 pm

3rd times a charm! A short break and tough 2nd round series.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,198

Post#222 » by Iwasawitness » Sun May 5, 2024 9:53 pm

This is the Donovan Mitchell we were asking for the playoffs. After it looked it he was about to have another poor series, he really turned it up a notch and ended this series with two very dominant outings.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,567

Post#223 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:47 pm

Very happy good LeVert showed up today.

Impressed with JBB's innovative second half strategy of just don't play any of our sucky PF options and give TT 3 minutes so Mobley can get a quick blow. Not sure it scales, but in a Game 7, it worked. I thought he did a pretty good job with timeouts as well given the fact there would be no rotations.

Hopefully, Allen can go Tuesday. Also, anyone have any info as far as Wade? It's been two months which is a long time for a non-surgery injury.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#224 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 2:26 am

Already posted it on the GB but why not here too.Image
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#225 » by toooskies » Mon May 6, 2024 3:28 am

jbk1234 wrote:Very happy good LeVert showed up today.

Impressed with JBB's innovative second half strategy of just don't play any of our sucky PF options and give TT 3 minutes so Mobley can get a quick blow. Not sure it scales, but in a Game 7, it worked. I thought he did a pretty good job with timeouts as well given the fact there would be no rotations.

Hopefully, Allen can go Tuesday. Also, anyone have any info as far as Wade? It's been two months which is a long time for a non-surgery injury.

Playing small against a Porzingis-less Celtics squad should be plenty viable for however long we need to do it. Okoro or Strus on Tatum isn't ideal but Horford and Kornet shouldn't kill us inside.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:33 am

toooskies wrote:

Playing small against a Porzingis-less Celtics squad should be plenty viable for however long we need to do it. Okoro or Strus on Tatum isn't ideal but Horford and Kornet shouldn't kill us inside.

Tatum will feast on Okoro or Strus. We need Allen back no later than Game 2 if we're going to steal a game before coming home. Also, I like TT a lot more against Horford than Kornet and we need both Allen and Mobley in order to dictate that matchup.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#227 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 4:21 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Tatum will feast on Okoro or Strus. We need Allen back no later than Game 2 if we're going to steal a game before coming home. Also, I like TT a lot more against Horford than Kornet and we need both Allen and Mobley in order to dictate that matchup.
I'm sure jb will try to use Niang against him lol
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#228 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:05 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:Playing small against a Porzingis-less Celtics squad should be plenty viable for however long we need to do it. Okoro or Strus on Tatum isn't ideal but Horford and Kornet shouldn't kill us inside.

I'm sure jb will try to use Niang against him lol

I'm so triggered by playoff Niang that I don't even find the jokes about him playing again funny anymore.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#229 » by toooskies » Mon May 6, 2024 12:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Tatum was 6/19 against Okoro and Strus in the regular season.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:19 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:Playing small against a Porzingis-less Celtics squad should be plenty viable for however long we need to do it. Okoro or Strus on Tatum isn't ideal but Horford and Kornet shouldn't kill us inside.

If you want to take comfort in regular season stats after watching what just happened to the Heat, you can, but the Celtics remind me very much of the peak Warriors in that they sometimes lack urgency and take quarters off. When they decide to put their foot on the gas, however, they're scary and you need all hands on deck.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#231 » by toooskies » Mon May 6, 2024 3:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If you want to take comfort in regular season stats after watching what just happened to the Heat, you can, but the Celtics remind me very much of the peak Warriors in that they sometimes lack urgency and take quarters off. When they decide to put their foot on the gas, however, they're scary and you need all hands on deck.

I mean, we'll absolutely be better if we get Allen and/or Wade back and effective.

I'm just saying we're not as positionally disadvantaged against Boston and might even choose to play small and lean more on Okoro/LeVert/Merrill as our bench subs if Allen and/or Wade continue to miss time. We don't have to try Niang or Morris on Tatum the way we did against Paolo.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#232 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 4:31 pm

toooskies wrote:We don't have to try Niang or Morris on Tatum the way we did against Paolo.

We don't have to but it doesn't mean we're not all going to be pulling our hair our when Niang is trying to contest 7'1" Kornet's corner 3s lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#233 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 4:32 pm

Again, already on the GB but gotta show Mobley some love.Image
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#234 » by toooskies » Mon May 6, 2024 7:27 pm

Fun random stat: after being the only Cavalier who played 10+ minutes with a positive +/- from last year in the first round (+0.1), Okoro is the only Cavalier with a positive on-court plus-minus from the Orlando series (+1.0).
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#235 » by ijspeelman » Mon May 6, 2024 9:09 pm

toooskies wrote:Fun random stat: after being the only Cavalier who played 10+ minutes with a positive +/- from last year in the first round (+0.1), Okoro is the only Cavalier with a positive on-court plus-minus from the Orlando series (+1.0).

He really showed out in game 7, but obviously is ever present on the defensive end.

Don't want to say anything negative since it was a pretty solid series for him, but I'd like for him to take a few more of his open jumpers. Otherwise, no complaints
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#236 » by ijspeelman » Mon May 6, 2024 9:12 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
toooskies wrote:Fun random stat: after being the only Cavalier who played 10+ minutes with a positive +/- from last year in the first round (+0.1), Okoro is the only Cavalier with a positive on-court plus-minus from the Orlando series (+1.0).

He really showed out in game 7, but obviously is ever present on the defensive end.

Don't want to say anything negative since it was a pretty solid series for him, but I'd like for him to take a few more of his open jumpers. Otherwise, no complaints

Also, until your fun fact I didn't realize we lost the adj net rating battle by so much. Lost by 4.8 points on avg and still won the series... yikes

I know game 3 had major implications on the net rating, but still

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers