Game 54: Grizzlies @ Cavs 2/2/2023 

Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:06 am

Read on Twitter
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: Game 54: Grizzlies @ Cavs 2/2/2023 

Post#2 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:46 am

I really don't have a good feeling about this one.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:49 am

I take back what I said immediately. Jackson Jr AND Adams both aren't playing. There is NO excuse for us not winning this one.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 1:29 am

I don't like how Mitchell has looked in this game. It's pretty clear that the previous injury is still bothering him and he's just not hitting his shots.

But on the flip side, Garland has looked incredible in this game so far. And our defense overall has been very good. Our offense just needs to execute better.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 1:32 am

Osman you **** idiot.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#6 » by toooskies » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:03 am

Good first half. Garland clearly came out with his all-star snub revenge game on point. Osman looks good too. Didn't see LeVert out there, curious as to whether he's hurt or is a DNP-traded?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,453

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:20 am

toooskies wrote:Good first half. Garland clearly came out with his all-star snub revenge game on point. Osman looks good too. Didn't see LeVert out there, curious as to whether he's hurt or is a DNP-traded?

One could only hope but no he tweaked his hammy, allegedly.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,725

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:44 am

We need to dress Windler so he can come off the bench throwing hands next time.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#9 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:50 am

jbk1234 wrote:We need to dress Windler so he can come off the bench throwing hands next time.

I want to hire the staffer that jumped on Dillon and saved him from himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#10 » by ijspeelman » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:23 am

I'll be honest I was hate watching the first half and just wanted a win. After the Mitchell Brooks skirmish, I was all in.

Mitchell was mega-ultra ass tonight, but something had to be off. He took like two or three ill-advised shots to try to get himself going, but his other misses were just misses. He had some odd turnovers and almost turnovers. Hope he gets some rest before next game.

Our defense stayed on top of Ja Morant all night (shoutout Okoro, Mobley, and Allen) and I love that he did not get his foul-baity shots tonight (or at least all of them). Teams love to attack the Mobley help by passing to his man from three and we are on and off being good at getting to them. Early on, Santi was on fire and we weren't getting to him. Don't quote me, but I think we changed something at half and that shot wasn't as open (he also missed one or two easy ones still).

Cedi and Rubio with some big shots throughout the night. Cedi with some hiccups defensively early on, but that is the Osman experience.

Garland played floor general and primary scorer tonight even before Mitchell was ejected.

It was a fun game that felt very play-offy with the super physical defense.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:23 am

I think Stevens is done with the Cavs. After the ejections, he basically got out of Ja's way on a dunk attempt. I'd rather call whoever represents Chriss and tell him to be ready after the deadline.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by TheLand13 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:24 am

I have a lot of thoughts on this, mostly positive.

I'm going to get the negatives out of the way now. Mitchell needs to start playing better. I don't know if this is just because he's still being bothered by the groin injury, but if he needs more time to heal up, take said time to do so. It's not a big deal. Him being out there bricking shots left and right (even though he played really great defense tonight and was doing a good job finding open teammates) does us no good.

It needs to be pointed out that Memphis was missing Jackson JR and Adams. That opened the door for Mobley and Allen to dominate on the glass tonight. Completely different story if those two are playing, even though Jackson can't hang with Mobley on the boards... Adam is still very much a difference maker in that regard.

Lastly, I'm very concerned about Kevin Love right now. I hope he can find his way back on the floor soon because we definitely need him. I don't expect him to be the player he was last season, but his ability to spread the floor, rebound, and help the offense run with his passing is vital to our success.

Alright, time for all the reasons as to why I have a big smile on my face right now.

Garland seems to have taken on the leading role even when Mitchell is playing. I've been saying the entire time that this is what Cleveland needs to do. Let Garland be the one who runs the offense, while Mitchell plays off of that. That is how you can bring out the best in your offense and I think that's the recipe for success.

That was the best defensive performance I've seen from Jarrett Allen in quite some time. That was Allen all of last season and for some reason we just haven't seen it as much this year. Mobley of course looked great as well.

People like to rag on Cedi Osman when his three point shot isn't falling. I don't think that's necessarily fair, because he does bring a lot of activity defensively and he's actually got himself quite an incredible up and under game near the basket. That man can hit switch layups for days.

Biggest talking point here though... is Ricky Rubio. Ricky Rubio actually looked kind of meh in that first half. But second half he was outstanding. It's all the more reason as to why I want Kevin Love back to form so badly. If we can get back the dynamic duo off the bench just like we had last year... this Cavaliers team could really go places.

We have to build off of this and keep going. We can't win one and then lose the next one. It's time we start building some momentum and go on a little run of our own. But for now, I'm going to enjoy this victory.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:26 am

ijspeelman wrote:I'll be honest I was hate watching the first half and just wanted a win. After the Mitchell Brooks skirmish, I was all in.

Mitchell was mega-ultra ass tonight, but something had to be off. He took like two or three ill-advised shots to try to get himself going, but his other misses were just misses. He had some odd turnovers and almost turnovers. Hope he gets some rest before next game.

Our defense stayed on top of Ja Morant all night (shoutout Okoro, Mobley, and Allen) and I love that he did not get his foul-baity shots tonight (or at least all of them). Teams love to attack the Mobley help by passing to his man from three and we are on and off being good at getting to them. Early on, Santi was on fire and we weren't getting to him. Don't quote me, but I think we changed something at half and that shot wasn't as open (he also missed one or two easy ones still).

Cedi and Rubio with some big shots throughout the night. Cedi with some hiccups defensively early on, but that is the Osman experience.

Garland played floor general and primary scorer tonight even before Mitchell was ejected.

It was a fun game that felt very play-offy with the super physical defense.

Twice this season, Mitchell has set the example for the young guys about not letting the other team punk you. The first was that Pacers game when he wouldn't let go of the jump ball. The second time was tonight. We won both games.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 4:27 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:We need to dress Windler so he can come off the bench throwing hands next time.

I want to hire the staffer that jumped on Dillon and saved him from himself.

Brooks is currently rumored to be the center piece of an O.G. trade. I'm surprised the entire staff didn't tackle him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,119

Post#15 » by LesGrossman » Fri Feb 3, 2023 4:41 am

It looked to me like he rolled into Mitchells ankles intentionally, then hit him in the "mid section". Guy is a scrub, he tries to injure other players and sell it as "tough" attitude. That was a sucker move and i hope he gets a suspension.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 6:05 am

LesGrossman wrote:It looked to me like he rolled into Mitchells ankles intentionally, then hit him in the "mid section". Guy is a scrub, he tries to injure other players and sell it as "tough" attitude. That was a sucker move and i hope he gets a suspension.

The thing about Brooks is he's not a scrub, but he was low-key dirty, Mitchell made sure the low-key aspect was removed tonight, and he just cost himself some money because officials will watch him now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#17 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:04 pm

I’m glad to see Mitchell respond. I wish he didn’t have to do it.

The Cavs needs:
1) A stretch big
2) A low usage big wing who can shoot and defend the position
3) A non-core player who is paid an extra $150k per year to cover his fines when he makes Mitchell et al. comfortable enough that he doesn’t need to respond himself.

If his last name is Morris, that works.

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#18 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 3, 2023 4:11 pm

We shoot well, we win.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#19 » by ijspeelman » Fri Feb 3, 2023 4:38 pm

JonFromVA wrote:We shoot well, we win.

Yeah, you can probably end it there. Grizzlies also shot better than average and we won which is exciting.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers