ImageImageImageImage

2012 Draft

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

2012 Draft 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 6:13 pm

Tigs didn't have a first (Fielder signing), so first pick was #91. Went with Jake Thompson, a HS RHP

Thompson has a good fastball that sits low-90's with movement, with the potential to pick up some velocity in the future. His breaking pitch is a slider that flashes plus and has lots of potential. Thompson's third pitch is a changeup that needs some work, but should develop in pro ball. Thompson is considered signable, and should be a nice boost to a farm system that loves power pitching.

via: http://www.blessyouboys.com/
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2012 Draft 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 6:14 pm

Second pick: Austin Schotts, a guy who will move from SS to CF. First impression is I really like this pick, we need speed and OF in the minors. He's another HS kid, so obviously we are looking for some longer-term minors guys

Schotts has incredible speed to go along with great range at shortstop. He has an average arm, which might mean a move to second base or the outfield, but he will at least get a shot at shortstop in pro ball. He has a smooth swing that should allow him to hit for average at the next level. He also above-average power for a shortstop. Schotts is one of the more polished prep bats in the draft but could be a tough sign with a commitment to Oklahoma State.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y20 ... caster.jsp
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 6:19 pm

Third pick: Drew Verhagen, RHP from Vandy. I'll try and score a scouting report soon (edit: yee shall recieve)

From BYB:

Verhagen is a prototypical David Chadd pick; he's a huge guy (6'6", 225) with a fastball that sits around 95 either as a starter or a reliever. He has an odd delivery which will probably need to be fixed, and his breaking stuff is unimpressive and hard to distinguish. The odds are that Verhagen goes into a minor league bullpen at some point, but the fastball is a very nice pitch at this stage in the draft, and there's a shot (though small) that Verhagen stays in the rotation.

Sounds like a big reliever with a big fastball. I like

http://www.blessyouboys.com/
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 7:11 pm

Fourth pick: Joe Rogers, LHP from UCF. From his scouting video he looks to be pretty small and to not be hitting high numbers on the radar gun
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#5 » by Lionlifer » Tue Jun 5, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm liking Schotts, gotta love some speed, lets hope we can get him to sign on the dotted line. It'll be interesting to see how the new bonus structure plays into signing our draftees.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 7:44 pm

Lionlifer wrote:I'm liking Schotts, gotta love some speed, lets hope we can get him to sign on the dotted line. It'll be interesting to see how the new bonus structure plays into signing our draftees.

I like him too. And we love to overpay and the new structure really discourages that; it may be an issue for us. Good thing Thompson sounds so signable
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 7:45 pm

Fifth pick: Jordan John, LHP from Oklahoma. College lefties is the theme currently...
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 8:26 pm

Sixth Pick: Hudson Randall, RHP, Florida

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 4&c_id=mlb

There are others from the Gators program higher in these rankings, including some potential top picks, but there is something to be said for being the Friday starter on one of the best college teams in the country. Randall has been effective throughout his career thanks to plus pitchability. He throws an average fastball, up to about 91 mph with some tail and sink, which plays up because of outstanding command. His changeup is the best of his other pitches, an above-average pitch that can be plus at times. He throws a curve and slider, both of which are fringe average offerings. But he throws all of them for strikes and really understands what to throw when. Randall's intangibles -- competitiveness and poise --- are off the charts and they allow him to succeed at such a high level without plus stuff. It's also what could allow him to move quickly through a system and help the back end of a rotation one day.

Sounds like a good 4th/5th starter candidate
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#9 » by Lionlifer » Wed Jun 6, 2012 2:05 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Lionlifer wrote:I'm liking Schotts, gotta love some speed, lets hope we can get him to sign on the dotted line. It'll be interesting to see how the new bonus structure plays into signing our draftees.

I like him too. And we love to overpay and the new structure really discourages that; it may be an issue for us. Good thing Thompson sounds so signable

What really cracks me up about this rule is it seems like it was targeted at the Pirates who have given out crazy money to their picks. They are the Pirates.....they need all the help they can get :D
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#10 » by Lionlifer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:39 pm

according to the freep Jake is going to sign

Return to Detroit Tigers