Image ImageImage Image

Thorpe: There arn't 5 guys in the league with Tyrus's upside

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#41 » by Bullsville » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 am

Again, wow.

I am just left to wonder if the same people who think that Tyrus has no skills also were in the "Tyson Chandler isn't an NBA center" camp and the "Eddy Curry is a future all-star" camp.

Oh ####, I was in the latter camp, dammit Bullsville!!! :banghead:
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#42 » by bullzman23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:48 am

Red Larrivee wrote:Come on.

Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay actually show signs of superstar-potential.

Randy Foye looks like he'll be up there with the best point guards in the NBA.

Aldridge is going to be a top power forward.

Then you got guys still like Milsap, Rondo, Gibson, Farmar, who are all playing out of their minds.

Tyrus will not be a future franchise player, especially if you want him to stay in Chicago, where he is likely a low option offensively. And not even close to the best player in the 06 draft. He can be a fine player, but lets not go overboard on it.

Just a hunch. There's no need for me to defend it. All I'm going to say is that last season, there were plenty of games where I felt that Thomas was the best player on the floor...at least on our team.

I do want him to stay in Chicago. What you're saying is really irrelevent at the moment, unless Boylan and kids return.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
theagent
General Manager
And1: 508

Post#43 » by theagent » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 am

bullzman23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

[/b]

Just a hunch. There's no need for me to defend it. All I'm going to say is that last season, there were plenty of games where I felt that Thomas was the best player on the floor...at least on our team.

I do want him to stay in Chicago. What you're saying is really irrelevent at the moment, unless Boylan and kids return.

so what's his excuse this year???
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#44 » by Bullsville » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:56 am

theagent wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You can't be the best player on the floor when you aren't on the floor?
bullzman23
RealGM

Post#45 » by bullzman23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:57 am

theagent wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Way too easy.

www.theslickscript.com
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#46 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:03 am

Red Larrivee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Come on.

Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay actually show signs of superstar-potential.

Randy Foye looks like he'll be up there with the best point guards in the NBA.

Aldridge is going to be a top power forward.

Then you got guys still like Milsap, Rondo, Gibson, Farmar, who are all playing out of their minds.

Tyrus will not be a future franchise player, especially if you want him to stay in Chicago, where he is likely a low option offensively. And not even close to the best player in the 06 draft. He can be a fine player, but lets not go overboard on it.

Huh. Thorpe says its so, Red says it isn't.

Who to believe, who to trust?

Damn - this is a tough one.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#47 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:06 am

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Huh. Thorpe says its so, Red says it isn't.

Who to believe, who to trust?

Damn - this is a tough one.

I'm sure if Thorpe said different, everyone would be bashing him right now. I like Thorpe and all, and most ESPN writers do have good credibility but come on.

"Top 3 Player in his Class"

1. Brandon Roy
2. Rudy Gay
3. LaMarcus Aldridge

That's 3 already who will most likely be better than Tyrus, and are more complete for the long-term.

[/b]

Unless Gordon, Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni weren't on the floor, there's rarely been a time where Tyrus has looked like the best player on the team.
bullzman23
RealGM

Post#48 » by bullzman23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:09 am

I'm sure if Thorpe said different, everyone would be bashing him right now. I like Thorpe and all, and most ESPN writers do have good credibility but come on.

1. Brandon Roy
2. Rudy Gay
3. LaMarcus Aldridge

That's 3 already who will most likely be better than Tyrus, and are more complete for the long-term.

That's an opinion. These three are obviously better now, but they're on teams that actually support their growth and development. Boylan, himself, said that he thought Thomas was better than Aldridge as a rookie.

And outside of Gay, I agree with Thorpe that at least two people on your list don't have Tyrus' upside.

www.theslickscript.com
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#49 » by fudgie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:11 am

Tyrus has no skills. Huh? Since when are shot blocking, rebounding, passing and generating steals not considered basketball skills. He's a good defender too, but that's just 50% of the game.....

Awww forget it. He sucks, he doesn't get any playing time therefore he must suck. What other explanation is there :dontknow:
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#50 » by Bullsville » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:11 am

Red Larrivee wrote:I'm sure if Thorpe said different, everyone would be bashing him right now.

Not everyone- obviously if Thorpe said that Tyrus was far from the best player in his draft class, YOU would agree with him, right?

People aren't bashing him because they agree with what he said about Tyrus. Go figure.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#51 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:12 am

Red Larrivee wrote:I'm sure if Thorpe said different, everyone would be bashing him right now. I like Thorpe and all, and most ESPN writers do have good credibility but come on.

1. Brandon Roy
2. Rudy Gay
3. LaMarcus Aldridge

So you took the three players who are playing at the highest level right now and just assume thats how it will be in 5 years? Way to go Red.

No one is guaranteeing Tyrus will be top 3 - not even Thorpe - what he is saying though is that Tyrus has to potential to be as good or better than each one of those guys.

I'm taking to take the recommendation from the guy who trains NBA players for a living.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#52 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:16 am

Tyrus does have good potential, there's no denying it. But once again, great potential means nothing when you don't show consistent signs of having it. There's been plenty of players to come along in the NBA, who you hear have that "great untapped potential" but they never show consistent signs of tapping it. And it sucks, but its a regular story throughout the NBA.
bullzman23
RealGM

Post#53 » by bullzman23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:19 am

Red Larrivee wrote:Tyrus does have good potential, there's no denying it. But once again, great potential means nothing when you don't show consistent signs of having it. There's been plenty of players to come along in the NBA, who you hear have that "great untapped potential" but they never show consistent signs of tapping it. And it sucks, but its a regular story throughout the NBA.

Red, I don't know what your point is. Everyone knows that. Obviously potential is nothing if it isn't ultimately realized. You can't make that judgement based on Tyrus' play/PT. He hasn't been given a fair chance.

Also, Thorpe is arguing that he has top 5 upside. Clearly upside means potential and not exactly actuality.

www.theslickscript.com
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#54 » by fudgie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:21 am

Red Larrivee wrote:Tyrus does have good potential, there's no denying it. But once again, great potential means nothing when you don't show consistent signs of having it. There's been plenty of players to come along in the NBA, who you hear have that "great untapped potential" but they never show consistent signs of tapping it. And it sucks, but its a regular story throughout the NBA.

Did he not show during the second half of last season that he can play consistently at a high level? His PER was over 18.

Yeah, this season he hasn't shown consistency, but how do you expect a player to do that when his minutes are as wildly inconsistent as his are. Name me one other player who gets 3 minutes a game, out of position, to prove he should get more playing time.
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.
Red Larrivee
RealGM

Post#55 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:24 am

_snake_ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Did he not show during the second half of last season that he can play consistently at a high level? His PER was over 18.

Yeah, this season he hasn't shown consistency, but how do you expect a player to do that when his minutes are as wildly inconsistent as his are. Name me one other player who gets 3 minutes a game, out of position, to prove he should get more playing time.

He played well in the 2nd half of the season, last season, but it wasn't high level at all.

I agree that the minutes haven't been fair. But Tyrus's problem hasn't been completely on the coaching. It's been a combination of him and the coaching.
Bullsville
Banned User

Post#56 » by Bullsville » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:25 am

Red, I don't know what your point is. Everyone knows that. Obviously potential is nothing if it isn't ultimately realized. You can't make that judgement based on Tyrus' play/PT. He hasn't been given a fair chance.

Also, Thorpe is arguing that he has top 5 upside. Clearly upside means potential and not exactly actuality.

+1
bullzman23
RealGM

Post#57 » by bullzman23 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:28 am

It's been a combination of him and the coaching.

Can you put an approximate percentage on that? Are you saying it's 50-50 blame? 40-60?

www.theslickscript.com
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,432

Post#58 » by Susan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:29 am

He played well in the 2nd half of the season, last season, but it wasn't high level at all.

I agree that the minutes haven't been fair. But Tyrus's problem hasn't been completely on the coaching. It's been a combination of him and the coaching.

It's high level for a 20 year old.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#59 » by sonny » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 am

xcrnrkyle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's high level for a 20 year old.

That wasn't supposed to contribute for 2-3 years
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,359

Post#60 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:33 am

In another angle on this...

I believe that Tyson Chandler will actually enforce Paxson's decision to extend the time to develop him. I think Tyrus has 4 years here guaranteed of the what happens.

Trust me when I say, Paxson cannot and will not stomach losing another young talented big. Which is why he brought up so many late success stories in his luncheon. Jermaine Oneal, Outlaw etc. Pax would probably have nightmares if he traded Tyrus and he turns into beastmode on another team.

When you think about it right now, I believe Tyson/PJ or even Wallace will go down equally or worse than the Brand/Chandler trade. Especially when you figure Wallace probably isnt worth 2 more years regardless of what hes is being paid. And Chandler has another 6 years or prime left to go.
The Cult of Personality

Return to Chicago Bulls