Image ImageImage Image

Thorpe: There arn't 5 guys in the league with Tyrus's upside

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#21 » by suckfish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 pm

- He has good handles, used to be a point guard in high school.

You learn something new everyday. And may I add; :o
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#22 » by Shill » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:36 pm

I would love to see what Noah, Thomas, and Sefolosha could do with 30-35 minutes every night.

Too bad it won't happen...
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#23 » by kyrv » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:39 pm

Noah and Tyrus can both dribble the ball exceptionally well for big men. Both used to be guards.

Both are above average passers as well.

I'm sure some coach, somewhere, could figure out how to utilize that a smidge. Or just use their around the basket play.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#24 » by Mr. Tibbs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 pm

RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#25 » by Fl_Flash » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 pm

Shill4Tyrus24 wrote:I would love to see what Noah, Thomas, and Sefolosha could do with 30-35 minutes every night.

Too bad it won't happen...

On top of that, can you imagine what a Hinrich/Thabo/Deng/Thomas/Noah starting five might be capable of in a year or so? Average to above-average defenders at each spot and if Thabo, Thomas and Noah can add even a half-way decent semblance of (consistent) offense, that's a nice unit.

They'd own the boards also as the front-line are all good rebounders and Thabo really seems to excel getting boards from the 2-guard spot. Bring in Gordon and Noce to spark offense off the bench against a tired starting unit or their second stringers and things could look kinda nice.

Of course, as you correctly point out... Too bad it won't happen.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#26 » by Ben » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm just waiting for some of the Tyrus haters to jump in and write off Thorpe's comments as rooted in (a) ignorance or (b) homerism.

Except that... wait a minute... (a) he's very knowledgeable about basketball and watches lots of games, and (b) he's not actually a Bulls fan.

Don't get me wrong, Tyrus could still wind up being a big disappointment 5 years from now, regardless of which team he's on.

But I don't think that anybody reliable EVER wrote this kind of stuff about, say, Stromile Swift in his 2nd year in the league.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 750

Post#27 » by Hold That » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Al Jefferson, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul,Kevin Durant,& Greg Oden

Hell thats 6.
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#28 » by Ben » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:56 pm

Main Event wrote:Al Jefferson, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul,& Greg Oden

I told you they'd be coming!

M.E., I don't believe that you understood Thorpe's point. He wasn't talking about guys who are better than Tyrus, but guys with more upside. LeBron James has more room to grow than Tyrus? He's going to go from being one of the top 2 players in the league-- maybe the top player-- to being... what, Superman?

Same thing for Dwight Howard. Same thing for Chris Paul.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 750

Post#29 » by Hold That » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Ben B. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I told you they'd be coming!

M.E., I don't believe that you understood Thorpe's point. He wasn't talking about guys who are better than Tyrus, but guys with more upside. LeBron James has more room to grow than Tyrus? He's going to go from being one of the top 2 players in the league-- maybe the top player-- to being... what, Superman?

Same thing for Dwight Howard. Same thing for Chris Paul.

When your only skills is jumping, I guess it's hard to argue nobody in the league actually has more room to grow.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Post#30 » by coldfish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 pm

You pretty much lobbed that softball right down the middle of the plate, Ben.
Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Bullsville » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 pm

I can't believe that someone can watch most of the Bulls games and actually believe that Tyrus' only skill is jumping.

Really, I am shocked.

Wow.

Oh well, everyone is welcome to their opinion, and I will respect it 100%.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,024

Post#32 » by Chi town » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Tyrus should start every game after the trade deadline.

I will be real upset if Noc or Smith are still on this team by the deadline.

Can you imagine what Thabo, Noah, Deng, and Tyrus would do next to....

Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Deron Williams, or Derek Rose???

Our team is a team of good players that will never be great because they all expose each others weaknesses instead of bringing to light their strengths.

Thus far Kirk, Wallace, Deng, and Gordon have cost Tyrus his season. If they would have played normal at the start Tyrus would still be starting and putting up real good numbers!!!
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#33 » by mr.ankle » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:19 pm

David Thorpe overrates the Bulls Talent . Like he said Deng would have a MVP caliber year this year
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#34 » by HoopsGuru25 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Why are people co-signing this guy? You could say the same thing for alot of other young players in the NBA. What does Tyrus have that gives him more upside than guys with similar athleticism like Andray Blatche, Amir Johnson, Josh Smith,Thad Young,Sean Williams,etc...let alone elite level athletes with good skills and fundamentals like Rudy Gay.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#35 » by mr.ankle » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:33 pm

Bullsville wrote:I can't believe that someone can watch most of the Bulls games and actually believe that Tyrus' only skill is jumping.

Really, I am shocked.

Wow.

Oh well, everyone is welcome to their opinion, and I will respect it 100%.

What skill does he have beside jumping ? He has no low post moves . And His Jumper is trash .
lu9
Veteran
And1: 49

Post#36 » by lu9 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Wow. Count me in the "his only skill is jumping" category. I can't believe my eyes.

Why don't we look at the facts here.. TT is NOT playing on one of the worst teams in the entire league. PERIOD. Do all you Tyrus supporters have secret press passes and get to see practices?? How do you all know this? What I see is a player that has a piss poor attitude, a bad work ethic and absolutely atrocious basketball sense. He has ZERO balance. Can't jump off of one foot. Can't dribble quickly in control.

For such a great leaper, how about a one footer every once in a while. Or, how about catching the ball when a perfect ally-oop is fed to you (see Sunday's debacle of a matinee)?

Consider me in complete disbelief that this many knowledgeable Bulls fans feel this way. I say ship this mistake out of town the first chance Pax gets. I'm sure there is a GM out there that has been having the same unwarranted wet dreams about TT.
lu9
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#37 » by JeffJordan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Funny how everyone loves Thorpe now... honestly though Thorpe does know his stuff. Not that I really agree with Thorpe but it can be argued that TT is in the top 5 in the league as far as "potential" goes.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#38 » by HoopsGuru25 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm

JeffJordan wrote:Funny how everyone loves Thorpe now... honestly though Thorpe does know his stuff. Not that I really agree with Thorpe but it can be argued that TT is in the top 5 in the league as far as "potential" goes.

Undersized PF's w/o jumpshot have limited ceilings. Tyrus has the potential to be a double double player and an All NBA defender(Marcus Camby). There is nothing that separates him from other unproven athletic freaks with no offensive skillset. Thorpe is probably only saying this so he probably won't look like an idiot for proclaiming that Thomas was the best player in the 2006 draft(did he?). Just a guess.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#39 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm

bullzman23 wrote:I still think that Thomas is a future franchise player and will be the best player from this draft when it's all said and done.

Come on.

Brandon Roy and Rudy Gay actually show signs of superstar-potential.

Randy Foye looks like he'll be up there with the best point guards in the NBA.

Aldridge is going to be a top power forward.

Then you got guys still like Milsap, Rondo, Gibson, Farmar, who are all playing out of their minds.

Tyrus will not be a future franchise player, especially if you want him to stay in Chicago, where he is likely a low option offensively. And not even close to the best player in the 06 draft. He can be a fine player, but lets not go overboard on it.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#40 » by JeffJordan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 am

HoopsGuru25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Undersized PF's w/o jumpshot have limited ceilings. Tyrus has the potential to be a double double player and an All NBA defender(Marcus Camby). There is nothing that separates him from other unproven athletic freaks with no offensive skillset. Thorpe is probably only saying this so he probably won't look like an idiot for proclaiming that Thomas was the best player in the 2006 draft(did he?). Just a guess.

I agree with you completely... an arguement can be made for Thomas just because he is so unskilled right now. He can show a lot of improvement-- and I don't know how Thorpe ranked the 2006 draft.

Return to Chicago Bulls