Image ImageImage Image

To trade or not to trade Joe Smith

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#41 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 pm

I'd be willing to trade him if the deal was good. However there is little risk on just holding onto him as he is not a long term risk with his salary. If someone was willing to give us a young player on their rookie contract for a few more seasons (like someone from the past two drafts) and something to match, I would go for it. So the Lakers deal you proposed would work, but I'm not sure the Lakers do it.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 416

Re: To trade or not to trade Joe Smith 

Post#42 » by Bulls69 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well obviously they're going to be high on him, just like we're high on Tyrus and Noah.

However, they've got a legit shot at making the finals with a healthy Bynum and two guys ahead of Crittenton on the depth chart. If they could turn their 3rd string PG and some other backups into something that will contribute right away, that'd be hard to pass up ESPECIALLY given the recent Kobe turmoil.

Cliff, you made a very good point but Crittenton will not be traded for Joe Smith it makes no sense on the Lakers end.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Post#43 » by AirP. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 pm

dougthonus wrote:
J.Smith for M.Williams & Maglore, we get cap room and a possible starting PG in the future, New Jersey gets help for this year and next to go with their 2 bigtime players who aren't exactly young and easily traded.

Are the Nets a team looking to add Joe Smith to win now? I'm not sure they are. They look more like a team that is selling old than trying to have one more run in my eyes. Though I would do that trade.

Well, they signed Vince Carter this offseason so they're locked up him for many years, they have RJ already and have Kidd.

The Nets are an intriguing team. Had Kristic not got hurt would they be nearly as bad as they are, they'd have a decent scoring low post option and would make them overall a more balanced team, but they're having to play 2 young players big minutes. I think Joe Smith makes New Jersey a contending team again.

Trading Kidd without screwing the franchise is very tough because of how good Kidd is and you just locked up Vince Carter longterm.

The question is.. can acquiring Joe Smith make Jason Kidd happy enough to stay in New Jersey?

Trades aren't always just talent for talent, the situation really drives what you can or can't get. If the greater good of the team is to keep Kidd happy, you overpay to do that.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#44 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:56 pm

if were makign any trades with Golden State please get Ellis. I'm serious - Tyrus and next years #1 for that kid is worth it.

GSW could definately use a Joe Smith redux but they are not going to trade a young guard for him - they need to know Baron is coming back first and even then they saw how depth at the guard spot is key in the playoffs. i think thst is why they went after Belinelli but he's not ready for the NBA yet it appears.

OT: the thought of a GSW/Utah rematch in the playoffs this year really excites me. Brewer and Ellis are both coming into their own right now.

ouch, it hurts to even say Ronnie Brewer much less think if the Bulls had grabbed him instead of gambling on Sefolosha. thanks again Mr Paxson...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,817

Post#45 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Well, they signed Vince Carter this offseason so they're locked up him for many years, they have RJ already and have Kidd.

They have been rumored to be trying to move both Kidd and Carter and the team just isn't good and is way more than a "Joe Smith" away from doing anything.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Post#46 » by AirP. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Bulls69 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Cliff, you made a very good point but Crittenton will not be traded for Joe Smith it makes no sense on the Lakers end.

It makes no sense for the Lakers? It makes the Lakers a better team this year and next! With Farmar, Crittenton is somewhat expendable. Really, in the next couple of years, you'll have at the Guards.. Farmar/Kobe with Critt as backup PG or you could keep Fisher and have Joe Smith starting PF instead of Ronnie Turriaf and have him on the bench for more depth!

It makes very good sense for the Lakers and would give them an even better shot this year and next at making noise in the playoffs.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#47 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:01 pm

Crittenton is a 6'5" 200lb future franchise player.

I think you are grossly overestimating his likely outcome if you feel he's a franchise player. Sure it's possible, but guys who are likely to become franchise players don't slip to pick #19 on draft night. There's a lot more risk than you are adding into your equation IMO.

That being said, it's perfectly reasonable to believe the Lakers might not do this deal. I wasn't suggesting it because I felt JC would be a franchise player for us.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Bulls69 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:07 am

AirP. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It makes no sense for the Lakers? It makes the Lakers a better team this year and next! With Farmar, Crittenton is somewhat expendable. Really, in the next couple of years, you'll have at the Guards.. Farmar/Kobe with Critt as backup PG or you could keep Fisher and have Joe Smith starting PF instead of Ronnie Turriaf and have him on the bench for more depth!

It makes very good sense for the Lakers and would give them an even better shot this year and next at making noise in the playoffs.

Air, I had a heated argument with my Lakers buddy who wanted to trade Andrew for Kidd last year you never give up a young player for vet who has alot on miles him. The Lakers will not give Crittenton for Joe if the wanted to do the deal Pax's would jump all over this deal.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#49 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 am

Air, I had a heated argument with my Lakers buddy who wanted to trade Andrew for Kidd last year you never give up a young player for vet who has alot on miles him. The Lakers will not give Crittenton for Joe if the wanted to do the deal Pax's would jump all over this deal.

They could if they want to win a title in Kobe's prime.

Critt is far from being an productive player on a title contending team.

Take out all their expirings, guys who have not done much this year or in their career and add in Noce, Smith, and Duhon. That is some quality to have on the bench around a solid young big man and arguably the NBA's best talent.
Bulls69
Head Coach

Post#50 » by Bulls69 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:29 am

theanimal23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They could if they want to win a title in Kobe's prime.

Critt is far from being an productive player on a title contending team.

Take out all their expirings, guys who have not done much this year or in their career and add in Noce, Smith, and Duhon. That is some quality to have on the bench around a solid young big man and arguably the NBA's best talent.

Animal23, Kidd would not guarantee the Lakers a title the besides only Kobe Andrew is the most important player they have. The Lakers would never trade Andrew for Jason because Andrew is starting to get it.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#51 » by theanimal23 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:32 am

Animal23, Kidd would not guarantee the Lakers a title the besides only Kobe Andrew is the most important player they have. The Lakers would never trade Andrew for Jason because Andrew is starting to get it.

I'm not talking bout Bynum for Kidd.

I'm talking bout Smith, Noce, Duhon for Ariza, Mihm, Brown, and Critt as Cliff Levingston suggested. I honestly would do that deal w/o Critt and with a future pick. Why? The youngsters are forced to play and we will develop them.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 am

I would also do Cliff's trade. I wonder if losing Brown is an issue with them because it hurts what they are trying to adjust for (more big man depth).

I'm not sure that given their roster that they want to add Brown for Noc/Duhon. It'd be an upgrade in talent, but a big downgrade in size which is one thing they could really use.

Nocioni seems entirely redundant on their roster as well.

If they want to add Duhon though (to help replace guard depth) you could add Duhon and Ariza to the deal and it still works. Ariza seems like a better prospect, but it may be tempting due to the fact that he's out for the next 7 weeks or so with a broken foot, and Duhon could help them in the mean time.

However, I think the deal makes more sense without the Duhon / Ariza swap as they don't really need someone like Duhon on the team IMO.
@doug_thonus on twitter
newskoolbulls
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#53 » by newskoolbulls » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:15 am

Considering that Joe signed a 2 yr deal I say dont deal him. He would be a solid player again next year on hopefully a more improved team. I think the lakers however would do that deal. Farmar and Fisher make Crittenton expendable and Phil and Kobe would love a guy like Joe.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#54 » by JeremyB0001 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 am

Ebo21 wrote:I wouldn't trade him. He's playing some of his best basketball in years. If not for him we would be further in the hole than we are.

I think that's the best reason to deal him if he has substantial value. The odds of him continuing to perform at this level are minuscule. His production has already started to taper off.

Ebo21 wrote:Understood but you can never depend on "young talent" to develop.

But you can depend on a 32 year old with bad knees who's having a career season to continue to produce at this level?

ATRAIN53 wrote:i'd be irate if i was a Lakers fan and i heard they traded Crittenton for Joe Smith.

Crittenton is a 6'5" 200lb future franchise player. the only game he got minutes in this year he put up 20pts. the smartest thing LA can do is say 'sit here and watch #24 and learn'. if you think Deng has 'potential' this kid has even more IMO.

my guess is that he dropped to #20 in the draft beacause he was just a freshman and this was a pretty deep draft.

?!?!?! A number of freshman were drafted ahead of him in addition to more experienced players who were viewed as better NBA prospects for a reason. How many franchise players do you think there were in this draft? 12?

ATRAIN53 wrote:if were makign any trades with Golden State please get Ellis. I'm serious - Tyrus and next years #1 for that kid is worth it.

Because we're in desperate need of another undersized, pure scoring SG?

Bulls69 wrote:Air, I had a heated argument with my Lakers buddy who wanted to trade Andrew for Kidd last year you never give up a young player for vet who has alot on miles him. The Lakers will not give Crittenton for Joe if the wanted to do the deal Pax's would jump all over this deal.

Philosophically, I generally agree with you. However, teams do sacrifice long term success to improve their chances of short term success. Joe Smith is theoretically capable of improving a team's odds of winning a championship this season and some contending teams significantly value that. It might be that they all think Smith won't make a huge difference and are too fond of their young players to make a move. Fine, then Pax should hold onto Smith because he can be a valuable part of our front court rotation next season. I certainly think it's at least plausible though that a team would part with a moderately valuable young player or draft pick to acquire Smith for the remainder of the season, so Pax should at least explore the possibility.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#55 » by Susan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:38 am

New Orleans is the perfect place for Joe in my opinion. They've got 2 great bigs and the best point guard in the world, he'd be great for them for 25 minutes a game.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#56 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:09 am

xcrnrkyle wrote:New Orleans is the perfect place for Joe in my opinion. They've got 2 great bigs and the best point guard in the world, he'd be great for them for 25 minutes a game.

I agree, but the only package i could accept from them is Smith and Curry for Bowen, Pargo, and Armstrong. I think thats too steep for NO, but I'd do it.
newskoolbulls
Banned User

Post#57 » by newskoolbulls » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:15 am

^
doubt they would give up on a young big like Hilton.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#58 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:20 am

Hilton Armstrong + Jannero Pargo + one of their scrubs would work under the cap, or you could swap out rasual butler for pargo. However, I don't think we'd want butler's contract.

If they would be unwilling to give up Pargo because he plays we could do Armstrong + Bowen + Ely + Viniscus for Smith + Nichols + Curry and we waive Adrian Griffin or Khryapa to make roster room to accept the trade.

I'm not sure if Hilton Armstrong is a good enough return, but he's a young big man who was a previous reasonably high 1st rounder. You could maybe go with a pick as well. I guess you could aim for Julian Wright, but I don't think they'd give him up just yet.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#59 » by dflaschberger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:18 am

yes, NO would be perfect, but a tough match. what about SA-barry and rights to splitter or a #1
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#60 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:26 am

I think that New Orleans would give up on Hilton Armstrong at this point pretty easily if they thought Joe Smith would help them.

The bigger question would be would we want Hilton Armstrong? I mean we'd then have 4 young big men, and Armstrong isn't really a contributor at all there.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls