Image ImageImage Image

To trade or not to trade Joe Smith

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,823

Post#21 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:51 pm

I don't see the lakers giving us a good prospect like Jarvis.

How hot a prospect is he? He was picked in the 20s and barely plays. Prior to Bynum getting injured the Lakers were competing for the best record in the west. They may actually be just one player away at this point, and getting someone like Smith may help them a lot in maintaining good seeding position and giving them depth at a position they have little at.

I don't know for sure that they would do this deal, but I think they'd have to think hard about it. If Kobe has a good year this year, it's going to stop him from demanding out next year. Getting Joe Smith for someone who's not going to help this year or next year and may never pan out into a good pro may be a worthwhile move for them.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#22 » by bullzman23 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:

How hot a prospect is he? He was picked in the 20s and barely plays.

I can't find the exact quote, but earlier this season Jackson praised his upside. It stood out to me because Jackson rarely praises rookies.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#23 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:01 pm

I can't find the exact quote, but earlier this season Jackson praised his upside. It stood out to me because Jackson rarely praises rookies.

Jackson says a lot of crazy things for crazy reasons though.

I mean sure he has upside, if he didn't, I wouldn't have brought up his name. I have no idea of the Lakers would want to make the move I mentioned, I was just throwing it at the wall, since Smith could help the Lakers substantially this year and next year. For them he could possibly be the difference between one round of the playoffs and the next.
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#24 » by TheStig » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:03 pm

dougthonus wrote:

How hot a prospect is he? He was picked in the 20s and barely plays. Prior to Bynum getting injured the Lakers were competing for the best record in the west. They may actually be just one player away at this point, and getting someone like Smith may help them a lot in maintaining good seeding position and giving them depth at a position they have little at.

I don't know for sure that they would do this deal, but I think they'd have to think hard about it. If Kobe has a good year this year, it's going to stop him from demanding out next year. Getting Joe Smith for someone who's not going to help this year or next year and may never pan out into a good pro may be a worthwhile move for them.
If hes not that good, why do we want him? I think he will be a good player in this league and would fit in well next to ben and Kirk and that is why I don't see them giving him away. He was projected as a late lotto pick. Almost every year there is a fa as capable as smith available for the mle. Nothing special enough to give away a good prospect for.
ThemBulls
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#25 » by ThemBulls » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Trade him. Nobody is untouchable on this team. If you can trade the vets for picks do it! This team is going nowhere this year.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#26 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:17 pm

If hes not that good, why do we want him? I think he will be a good player in this league and would fit in well next to ben and Kirk and that is why I don't see them giving him away. He was projected as a late lotto pick. Almost every year there is a fa as capable as smith available for the mle. Nothing special enough to give away a good prospect for.

There might be an FA as good as Smith next year and their might not. However, adding Smith now allows them to still pursue that guy and help their team. The Lakers have got to be in win now mode given the Kobe situation don't you think?

At any rate, I'm not super psyched on getting JC. It was just one thing I threw out there because the Lakers seemed like a team that could use Smith, and JC seemed like someone with potential who wasn't helping them at all right now and the contracts matched.

The idea is to find a team that wants to win now, and has a prospect with potential who they can't use now. We could do the same deal for Mihm + Ariza (those 2 just match salary) and say a 1st round pick or something like that.

The Lakers very well might reject the 1st trade (and hell maybe the second trade too). I'm not really acutely aware of how much they value JC or a late 1st rounder.

We could make it a deal with a different team to get a 1st rounder as well, but I'm not sure off the top of my head who had the need, the win now mentality, and the right kind of pick.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#27 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Joe Smith for Brezec + Hermann + 1st rounder from Detroit? (basically looking for just matching contracts and a 1st rounder)
@doug_thonus on twitter
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#28 » by ptpablo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm

I would trade Smith in a second if it returned a rookie contract and any potential. This team needs to retool around the youth and focus on the window being in two years. Like it should have been from the get go. Smith was a great addition. Now make him an outstanding additon by flipping him for more assets that will help down the road. The trade of Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers comes to mind. Regardless if we get that lucky or not it is time to flip old for young.
dflaschberger
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#29 » by dflaschberger » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:28 pm

I've been posting this for a while. On one hand I agree with the "this year" crowd. I could honestly see us getting to the ECF if we get above the 8th seed. We are BAD now, but, once healthy, I could see a nice run. We have the talent and Joe would be needed to win in the playoffs.

However, we will not win a title this year, so sell while the value is high. I have been posting "Smith to Western conf contenders" and no one seems willing to give up much for him. I think that is dumb, he could REALLY help push any # of teams over the top.

I say, keep him until the deadline. IF we still suck-deal him. If we bump or jump up, keep him
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#30 » by ptpablo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:30 pm

Contracts Pax should be looking to move...

Duhon
Smith
VK
Wallace (we wish)
Griffin

I would not even want that much in return. Just an asset (young player, #1) to recycle and use this summer. Keep the rest and wait until the summer to evaluate and retool.
nerfinator39
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#31 » by nerfinator39 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:30 pm

i would definitely consider trading him.
I have a soft spot for tall, skinny, athletic big men who have little offensive game.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,137

Post#32 » by AirP. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:32 pm

If we can trade Joe Smith for a nice young player from a team looking to strengthen their team for the playoffs we should.

A couple other small moves...

Maybe New Jersey wants to salvage what they have and keep Kidd, Joe Smith would make them a much better team, they let Mikki Moore because of Kristic and he went down.

J.Smith for M.Williams & Maglore, we get cap room and a possible starting PG in the future, New Jersey gets help for this year and next to go with their 2 bigtime players who aren't exactly young and easily traded.

Send him to Orlando to play next to Dwight Howard for Dooling and Reddick? It would be a nice complement with Howard's power game.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#33 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Cliff Levingston would trade Smith in a hot second if the return is decent, especially if it helps us unload Nocioni in the process. Smith seems like a great guy to keep around for the long-term, but the development of the young guys is priority number 1; if Smith is the only guy we can get rid of 2 create PT for Tyrus/Noah/Gray, then so be it.

Cliff Levingston likes the idea of trading with the Lakers. If we could expand it to this (below), that would be awesome:

Trade ID #4442627

Bulls trade:
- Chris Duhon
- Andres Nocioni
- Joe Smith
Lakers trade:
- Javaris Crittenton
- Trevor Ariza
- Kwame Brown
- Chris Mihm
- 1st rounder (in '08 or '09)

Mihm would have to agree to it, but it gives the Lakers a few guys who do a little more to help them now rather than later while helping us unload salary and pick up some more young talent in Crittenton and Ariza.

1. Hinrich, Gordon, Crittenton
2. Sefolosha, Gordon, Griffin
3. Deng, Ariza, Griffin
4. Thomas, Noah, Brown
5. Wallace, Noah, Gray, Mihm
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 416

Re: To trade or not to trade Joe Smith 

Post#34 » by Bulls69 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:38 pm

dougthonus wrote:Smith seems like he'd be a perfect addition to a solid playoff team in need of a big man. He seems like a perfect fit as a 3rd option as a big man as he can be versatile to cover PF, C, and offer inside/outside play and is solid all around.

As someone else mentioned in a different thread, he'd have been perfect to have on our team last year. This year and in the future, I'm not so sure. Do we turn it around next year enough that we need Joe Smith or do we cut bait with Smith while we can get something in return (and put Smith in a situation where he can win which I'm sure he'd like).

The Lakers seem like a perfect team to trade him to IMO. I came up with Joe Smith for Chris Mihm + Javaras Crittenton as a possibility.

Any Joe Smith deals you would do? How much of a return would you need?

Doug, I live here in LA the Lakers are very high on Crittenton the thing is Phil does not like to rookies so it's going to take more then Joe pry Javaras from the Lakers.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#35 » by Rerisen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:40 pm

Trade him for anything worthwhile. I want to see Noah and Tyrus sink or swim. That is far more important than riding out Joe 'journeyman' Smith to a 8th seed or however much limited success we can have with him this year or next.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Re: To trade or not to trade Joe Smith 

Post#36 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Bulls69 wrote:Doug, I live here in LA the Lakers are very high on Crittenton the thing is Phil does not like to rookies so it's going to take more then Joe pry Javaras from the Lakers.

Well obviously they're going to be high on him, just like we're high on Tyrus and Noah.

However, they've got a legit shot at making the finals with a healthy Bynum and two guys ahead of Crittenton on the depth chart. If they could turn their 3rd string PG and some other backups into something that will contribute right away, that'd be hard to pass up ESPECIALLY given the recent Kobe turmoil.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by dougthonus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm

J.Smith for M.Williams & Maglore, we get cap room and a possible starting PG in the future, New Jersey gets help for this year and next to go with their 2 bigtime players who aren't exactly young and easily traded.

Are the Nets a team looking to add Joe Smith to win now? I'm not sure they are. They look more like a team that is selling old than trying to have one more run in my eyes. Though I would do that trade.
@doug_thonus on twitter
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#38 » by theanimal23 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Cliff Levingston would trade Smith in a hot second if the return is decent, especially if it helps us unload Nocioni in the process. Smith seems like a great guy to keep around for the long-term, but the development of the young guys is priority number 1; if Smith is the only guy we can get rid of 2 create PT for Tyrus/Noah/Gray, then so be it.

Cliff Levingston likes the idea of trading with the Lakers. If we could expand it to this (below), that would be awesome:

Trade ID #4442627

Bulls trade:
- Chris Duhon
- Andres Nocioni
- Joe Smith
Lakers trade:
- Javaris Crittenton
- Trevor Ariza
- Kwame Brown
- Chris Mihm
- 1st rounder (in '08 or '09)

Mihm would have to agree to it, but it gives the Lakers a few guys who do a little more to help them now rather than later while helping us unload salary and pick up some more young talent in Crittenton and Ariza.

1. Hinrich, Gordon, Crittenton
2. Sefolosha, Gordon, Griffin
3. Deng, Ariza, Griffin
4. Thomas, Noah, Brown
5. Wallace, Noah, Gray, Mihm

Cliff, I think that is an amazing deal for both teams. We are not as good as we thought we are. Possibly an aberration, but our future hinges on Thomas and Noah and having a group of young guys hit their prime at the same time.

The Lakers are trying to win with the start of Bynum's prime during Kobe's prime.

Bynum/Turiaf
Smith/Noce
Odom/Walton
Kobe
Fish/Farmar/Du

That is a strong lineup. Our guys as we all know are great role players and would excel on that team.

We get expirings, a young talented player, and a 1st pick. I really like that deal for both sides.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#39 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 pm

i'd be irate if i was a Lakers fan and i heard they traded Crittenton for Joe Smith.

Crittenton is a 6'5" 200lb future franchise player. the only game he got minutes in this year he put up 20pts. the smartest thing LA can do is say 'sit here and watch #24 and learn'. if you think Deng has 'potential' this kid has even more IMO.

my guess is that he dropped to #20 in the draft beacause he was just a freshman and this was a pretty deep draft. Afflalo nearly dropped to the 2nd round.

Tyrus for Crittenton is more likely and i'd do that deal.

i'm all about trading Joe Smith but i also can't see anyone giving up a young player full of potential for an aging Joe Smith.

but Smith would be a perfect fit for a lot of the Western contenders.
tyrususi007
Senior
And1: 0

Post#40 » by tyrususi007 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 pm

I like the Laker deal only if we can get Cretts back in return.

These are two deals I would do too.

Bulls trade: Joe Smith

Magic trade: J.J. Redick, Carlos Arroyo (exp) James Augustine, and rights to Fran Vazquez

OR

Bulls trade: Joe Smith & V.K.

Golden State trades: Austin Croshere (exp) Marco Belinelli, Patrick O'Bryant and Brandan Wright

Return to Chicago Bulls