Image ImageImage Image

Remind me again why did we ditch gafford?

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

poolshark52
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Remind me again why did we ditch gafford? 

Post#1 » by poolshark52 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:40 am

I know many moves were financially motivated but he was cheap. Why did we get rid of him?
Nwaba daba doo!
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Re: Remind me again why did we ditch gafford? 

Post#2 » by prolific passer » Wed May 8, 2024 2:56 am

Something something continuity and competitiveness.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,345

Post#3 » by kodo » Wed May 8, 2024 3:29 am

Basically, to get Javonte Green.

There were some other players involved (Theis, Troy), but we never resigned them so I assume the guy the FO wanted was Javonte.
Kind of ironic because the guys we gave up both Gafford & Kornet are playing solid minutes for two excellent playoff teams now.
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#4 » by terry » Wed May 8, 2024 4:10 am

Hes a role player. Who cares. Drummond is better. You can find role players.
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 442

Post#5 » by greenwing » Wed May 8, 2024 4:15 am

I was upset when we traded Gafford since he showed flashes of being a capable starter and at worst a good third big. But at the time we traded for Vucevic - who was an all star - and we still had Thaddeus Young, Patrick Williams, Lauri Markkanen and had traded for Daniel Theis. There was simply no meaningful minutes for Gafford on the roster back then.
poolshark52
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#6 » by poolshark52 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:27 am

terry wrote:Hes a role player. Who cares. Drummond is better. You can find role players.

If it's so easy to find said roleplayer, then why do we not have one rim protector on the team?
Nwaba daba doo!
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,298

Post#7 » by Dan Z » Wed May 8, 2024 4:34 am

greenwing wrote:I was upset when we traded Gafford since he showed flashes of being a capable starter and at worst a good third big. But at the time we traded for Vucevic - who was an all star - and we still had Thaddeus Young, Patrick Williams, Lauri Markkanen and had traded for Daniel Theis. There was simply no meaningful minutes for Gafford on the roster back then.

I think AK wanted to bring in his own guys and Gafford wasnt one of them.

Theis wasn't re-sign so he wasn't in any kind of long term plans (does AK even have long term plans?). Young was an older player who wasn't going to stay for long and Markkanen had his ups and downs while in Chicago (plus he was up for a contract extension).
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,688

Post#8 » by sco » Wed May 8, 2024 12:33 pm

Our model was clear...we wanted C's who could playmake and set picks/screens on the perimeter. IMO, we went after AD because he was a good passer/screener as much as his rebounding. Gafford was purely a paint guy. He was also a bit pouty, IIRC.
:clap:
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,198

Post#9 » by League Circles » Wed May 8, 2024 12:40 pm

poolshark52 wrote:
terry wrote:Hes a role player. Who cares. Drummond is better. You can find role players.

If it's so easy to find said roleplayer, then why do we not have one rim protector on the team?

Because AK thought it was better to have like 13 guards on the team than to keep Tony Bradley, who was quite solid at rim protection. I wouldn't say Drummond is too bad at rim protection either.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,842

Post#10 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:55 pm

He was kind of bad on the Bulls? Its great he became a good rim running player, but not every team needs or wants that.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,745

Post#11 » by Ice Man » Wed May 8, 2024 1:16 pm

Jcool0 wrote:He was kind of bad on the Bulls? Its great he became a good rim running player, but not every team needs or wants that.

Gaff was the same player for us. I mean, not quite as good as he is now because he traded him when he was 22 years old so naturally he has improved since then. But the same strengths and weaknesses. A pure rim runner/rebounder/rim protector who can't dribble or shoot a lick. I like that type of player, but I guess AKME doesn't. Carlisle does, though. (As with Tyson Chandler, who was a similar but better version of Gaff.)
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:19 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:He was kind of bad on the Bulls? Its great he became a good rim running player, but not every team needs or wants that.

Gaff was the same player for us. I mean, not quite as good as he is now because he traded him when he was 22 years old so naturally he has improved since then. But the same strengths and weaknesses. A pure rim runner/rebounder/rim protector who can't dribble or shoot a lick. I like that type of player, but I guess AKME doesn't. Carlisle does, though. (As with Tyson Chandler, who was a similar but better version of Gaff.)

FWIW Carlisle has been coaching in Indiana since 2021.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#13 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:22 pm

Gafford would be the perfect starting C for this team. Plus we would have $20m+ per year in salary that we wouldn't be paying Vuc.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#14 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:25 pm

Well we do need that. We may not want that, but that's another discussion entirely.

Also, not sure how 13 and 8 with 3 blocks per 36 with a 69 TS% is in any way "bad."
Jcool0
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jcool0 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:32 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:

Well we do need that. We may not want that, but that's another discussion entirely.

Also, not sure how 13 and 8 with 3 blocks per 36 with a 69 TS% is in any way "bad."

Bulls need 3 point shooting not rim running. He was bad when you actually watched Bulls games not checking box scores years later. There was a reason he would be inactive for multiple games in a row.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,887

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Wed May 8, 2024 1:44 pm

poolshark52 wrote:I know many moves were financially motivated but he was cheap. Why did we get rid of him?

We wanted to get Daniel Theis for a playoff push that season.

If you ask "why did we do this move, that now looks stupid, and was easy to predict would look stupid" then the answer is almost always "we wanted to win in the next few months and are too stupid to look further into the future than that".

I'd also note, that they weren't likely to keep Gafford long term anyway, because they wouldn't have had the room after all the other stuff they wanted to do.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,680

Post#17 » by Michael Jackson » Wed May 8, 2024 1:51 pm

kodo wrote:Basically, to get Javonte Green.

There were some other players involved (Theis, Troy), but we never resigned them so I assume the guy the FO wanted was Javonte.
Kind of ironic because the guys we gave up both Gafford & Kornet are playing solid minutes for two excellent playoff teams now.

I actually it was for all 3 and Theis was a better fit at the moment. I am sure AK was planning on resigning Theis but Caruso became avaialable and they didn't have capspace available to sign both so it was one or the other. I do think long term it was the plan to resign Theis... Oddly the Caruso thing negated Javonte's need too and TBJ was raw and it was like a free draft pick that never panned out.

All that being said I always liked Gafford. At the time of the trade though Theis did make the Bulls better. Gafford never really got going until Westbrook started throwing him dimes. They were a good fit and Dallas is a good fit for him too. Ball would have worked with Gafford but aside from him on this team I don't think he reaches potential.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#18 » by ChettheJet » Wed May 8, 2024 1:51 pm

He wasn't surrounded by 4 very good scorers, they needed someone who could get the attention of the defense and contribute to the scoring, his shooting range was and remains 2 feet and in, they needed some kind of jump shooting from the 5 even a stretch element. Did you actually ever see him play for the Bulls?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,680

Post#19 » by Michael Jackson » Wed May 8, 2024 1:53 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:

Gafford would be the perfect starting C for this team. Plus we would have $20m+ per year in salary that we wouldn't be paying Vuc.

True but afford is 14 mil so it really is only a 6 mil savings, that being said I would prefer Gafford still.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,388

Post#20 » by Hangtime84 » Wed May 8, 2024 2:08 pm

sco wrote:Our model was clear...we wanted C's who could playmake and set picks/screens on the perimeter. IMO, we went after AD because he was a good passer/screener as much as his rebounding. Gafford was purely a paint guy. He was also a bit pouty, IIRC.

Thad young basically outplayed all the centers with his IQ. We wanted more of those people. Also Billy likes hub center schemes as Steven Adams played that role as well bulls fave Noah.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.

Return to Chicago Bulls