Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,074

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1341 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am

Well we still got caleb and rome woohoo!
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,133

Post#1342 » by NecessaryEvil » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 am

Read on Twitter
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,526

Post#1343 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 am

nomorezorro wrote:

would probably rather target an OL or maybe even a safety. wouldn't be surprised if we went with the yale tackle if he's still on the board

They used to burn people for **** like this.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

Post#1344 » by Howling Mad » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh, he's a local guy. Never heard his name before. Surprising.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,895

Post#1345 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am

Wanted Ellis.

But I can get down with the Yale OT. The strategy is clear. Invest in talent around Caleb now. Invest in defensive talent later.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,511

Post#1346 » by fleet » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am

Traits. Every time someone tries to sell you on Poles taking an undersized player in the first two days, tell them to cut it out.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,589

Post#1347 » by dice » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:11 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
dice wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:They did a crap job of putting a good team around Fields and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people acknowledging that. Does it mean that we shouldn’t have traded him? No. But the facts are what they are. Just let it go already.

those are not facts. here are some facts:

-bears O-line was 6th in the league in avg. pocket time
-bears RBs averaged well over 4 yards a carry
-bears had 2nd most rush attempts in league, which along w/ fields's running ability forced opponents to load up the box
-kmet was 9th rated TE in PFF grade
-moore was 10th rated WR

despite these strong advantages, fields was 23rd of 30 in pass QBR

3 of the things that you mentioned could be directly attributed to Fields himself.

makes no difference. he couldn't pass despite the advantages

It’s like I said, this roster (as a whole) was never any better than average at any point while Fields was here. Those are the facts sir.

you clearly do not know what a fact is. what you are providing is OPINIONS. bad ones
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#1348 » by dice » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

NesimLE wrote:
dice wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:They did a crap job of putting a good team around Fields and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people acknowledging that. Does it mean that we shouldn’t have traded him? No. But the facts are what they are. Just let it go already.

those are not facts. here are some facts:

-bears had 2nd most rush attempts in league, which along w/ fields's running ability forced opponents to load up the box
-moore was 10th rated WR

The question is, what are the implications of that info. The performance of his top 2 options tells us that he is capable of making throws to open targets when he sees them, at minimum. The fall off for the following targets means that there's some combination of the following:

-- targets not being open when he reaches them in his progression (which could be attributable to them not being talented enough to get open, or the routes they happen to be running being poorly designed or slow developing...which would be a Getsy offense if is the case)

-- him not reaching them in his progression (this is either him being slow through his reads (more likely), him not having enough time in the pocket (occasionally happened, but not the average case at least) or poor coaching)

-- him not seeing reads as open when he reaches them (or not being willing or able to throw to guys who are 'NFL open'...this would be the most damning I'd think, either as coaching or talent limitation)

More talent and a different OC would've given us the chance to eliminate some of those options from the list of possibilities. But as has already been concluded, the QB(s) available this year were too good to pass up for a guy who in the best case, had question marks about his processing speed, time to throw, and ability to throw guys open. Throwing more talent and scheme at the problem would've likely been a band-aid at best...and a window for contention even if Fields was sufficient, would've been limited to 2 or 3 seasons before contracts started coming due.

the entire league evaluated whose fault it was and determined it was by and large justin's
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,316

Post#1349 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 am

Can’t be mad about a high upside tackle.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
NesimLE
Junior
And1: 220

Post#1350 » by NesimLE » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:18 am

fleet wrote:Traits. Every time someone tries to sell you on Poles taking an undersized player in the first two days, tell them to cut it out.

Yep, combine the traits and the prospect visits that we know of and this guy was most likely at one of our two picks.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1351 » by fleet » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 am

Quick views on Twitter, he may be Braxton Jones with more strength and size. Then again, he was blocking future dentists and mathematicians
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dice
RealGM

Post#1352 » by dice » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Can’t be mad about a high upside tackle.

he played guard as well
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1353 » by fleet » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am

dice wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Can’t be mad about a high upside tackle.

he played guard as well

Right guard at that.

Nate Davis
Spoiler:
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#1354 » by panthermark » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:50 am

dice wrote:the entire league evaluated whose fault it was and determined it was by and large justin's

It seems to like the the Bears decided it was everyone's fault.
When you look at the turnover from the start of the season, almost all of it is on offense.

Fields
Foreman
Claypool
Mooney
Tonyan
Whitehair
Patrick
Getsy

Serious question, will VJJ make the roster this year? I have him as the #5 WR on the team right now, battling Pettis (welcome back, needed for special teams) and maybe ESB (if he comes back) for that spot....and that is assuming we don't draft a WR. After CW, the Bears spent the next two picks on offensive players as well.

Would anyone shed a tear of Herbert if he were moved or bumped to RB3? Probably not.
If Blasingame disappeared, would anyone notice or care?

Total offensive rebuild from top to bottom (just like the defense). Kmet and Tev are the only key offensive players that have been on the team for more than two seasons (well, Borom and Herbert have been here 3 years if that counts for anything).
---------------
Holy crap, only JJ, Kmet, Tev, Borom and Herbert were on the team before Poles came in. Wow, the entire roster has been flipped.

Edit - Make that 6, forgot about Santos!
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,622

Post#1355 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

dice wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
dice wrote:those are not facts. here are some facts:

-moore was 10th rated WR

3 of the things that you mentioned could be directly attributed to Fields himself.

It’s like I said, this roster (as a whole) was never any better than average at any point while Fields was here. Those are the facts sir.

you clearly do not know what a fact is. what you are providing is OPINIONS. bad ones

Dice, this roster was NEVER better than average at any point during Fields’ tenure here. That’s all I’m saying. The outcomes back that up. Even the biggest Fields critics would admit that. It’s not opinion. It is a fact. Deal with it.

Now as I stated before, I am done with this discussion with you. I’ve given you an And 1, as a courtesy just to satisfy your desire to always be right.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,948

Post#1356 » by Dresden » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 am

fleet wrote:Traits. Every time someone tries to sell you on Poles taking an undersized player in the first two days, tell them to cut it out.

Caleb Williams 6'1".
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#1357 » by TheStig » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 am

fleet wrote:
TheStig wrote:
fleet wrote:And Mooney, who just got a nice contract. Fields completely was unable to use this year. There’s no excuse for a truly good quarterback to look bad. Maybe diminished effectiveness on the margins sure. But good quarterbacks show you.

Excellent point. I think Mooney will be much better with Kirk.

Surely. He was rediscovered as a target by Tyson Bagent.

:lol:
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,948

Post#1358 » by Dresden » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 am

Last off season it felt like we added guys that weren't at positions of highest need. This offseason feels the exact opposite- almost every addition is filling a significant hole. We picked up a safety where we had a glaring hole. We added depth to the IOL. We got our QB, and added WR's 2 and 3. Got another pass catching TE. Added a pass catching RB.

About the only thing lacking now is the D line. I expect our next pick to address that if at all possible.
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1359 » by chitowndish » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 am

I like the Kiran pick seems high upside good size and athleticism and I like that he played a lot of basketball growing up as a big guy I think that helps footwork and coordination. It isn't a major thing but I like when bigs in basketball play soccer for the same reason they usually have good coordination and footwork for their size.

Seems like he needs some time to learn but he seems versatile so he can help us a lot with depth which is my main concern I don't want a few injuries just cratering this line. I think with this and the vets we've added to the IOL I feel a lot better about things. I'd still probably go IOL with the next pick but I may be an outlier with that one. I just am not too worried about our defense this year I mainly want Caleb to have time to use these weapons and at least shore up the offensive line and we'll figure out the D next year.
dice
RealGM

Post#1360 » by dice » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
dice wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:3 of the things that you mentioned could be directly attributed to Fields himself.

Dice, this roster was NEVER better than average at any point during Fields’ tenure here. That’s all I’m saying. The outcomes back that up. Even the biggest Fields critics would admit that. It’s not opinion. It is a fact. Deal with it.

that's fine, but you started with "they put a crap team around fields", insinuating that his poor performance was due to his supporting cast. but the offensive supporting cast was more than adequate. and certainly nobody is blaming fields for the defense. this is not about the team's W/L. it is strictly about justin's play

Return to Chicago Bulls