Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,547

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1781 » by fleet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:37 pm

Almost Retired wrote:https://www.pff.com/news/draft-way-too-early-2025-nfl-mock-draft-james-pearce-jr-panthers

2025 Mock has us taking an EDGE at our projected #19 pick.......Jack Sawyer of Ohio State. Some really good interior Defensive linemen will be available, but the elite ones will be gone unless we move up. Mason Graham and Kenneth Grant of Michigan. Deone Walker of Kentucky. Howard Cross III of Notre Dame. Defense will be top heavy next year. This was the year to get a QB. Next Year Carson Beck, Shadeur Sanders and Quinn Ewers top the QB class. I'm not sold on any of them to be honest.

Not thrilled about the overrated ends at The OSU
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1782 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 606

Post#1783 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:55 pm

fleet wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:https://www.pff.com/news/draft-way-too-early-2025-nfl-mock-draft-james-pearce-jr-panthers

2025 Mock has us taking an EDGE at our projected #19 pick.......Jack Sawyer of Ohio State. Some really good interior Defensive linemen will be available, but the elite ones will be gone unless we move up. Mason Graham and Kenneth Grant of Michigan. Deone Walker of Kentucky. Howard Cross III of Notre Dame. Defense will be top heavy next year. This was the year to get a QB. Next Year Carson Beck, Shadeur Sanders and Quinn Ewers top the QB class. I'm not sold on any of them to be honest.

Not thrilled about the overrated ends at The OSU

I think Sawyer is going to be really good. If we could get him with our First Rounder, then get a Center with our first pick in the 2nd round, someone like Bryce Foster of Texas A&M or Eli Cox of Kentucky, then we can go BPA with all the remaining picks. Bolster our depth.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,144

Post#1784 » by molepharmer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 pm

fleet wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Rich mentioned on his show that the NFL told him to clear his schedule for a specific day either this week or next week (I forgot when) and he thinks its for the schedule announcement

I can’t remember which the Bears suck at more, MNF or SNF.

To paraphrase Poles, that's history, in the past and am tired of addressing it.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,468

Post#1785 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:12 pm

That's a fairly useless mock, since the Bears will be picking at 32.
1985Bear
Junior
And1: 227

Post#1786 » by 1985Bear » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:13 pm

Dresden wrote:
Hold That wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
A few things - we don't actually know why the scouts were let go and I don't think it's accurate to say that scouts' jobs are based primarily on late round draft performance.

In 2022, the Bears hit on an OT in the 5th round. It appears Terrell Smith, while not a starter due to the Bears strength at the position, may also be a quality CB, drafted in the 5th in 2023. So, I'm not sure I'd agree with the notion that the Bears have been striking out in later rounds. Given the combined hit rate in rounds 5-7 is about 29%, having hit on at least two players seems to mean the Bears are performing well in that regard.

It all depends on who we passed on, and who was being vouched for over whom..

But I will tell you scouts are heavily evaluated by their information on players in the later round. That’s a known fact. Maybe you’re not aware, but if you have anyone in the know they’ll tell you this. Regardless of what the percentage is of success in those rounds, you’re hired and brought in to increase that teams success rate period.

Braxton was nice but one hit doesn’t secure your job for the next 5 years.

Based on those numbers above, if you hit on one pick with your 5-6-7 rounders every 3 drafts, you're doing ok.

Yep, that’s sound right. It’s why trading a 5th for your starting Center is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,270

Post#1787 » by TheJordanRule » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:25 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

That bodes really well for our needs in the next off season. This team might be the most stacked its been in 30+ years, and we're only gonna increase that fact in next year's NFL draft.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 606

Post#1788 » by Almost Retired » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:22 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:

That's a fairly useless mock, since the Bears will be picking at 32.

:lol:
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,928

Post#1789 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1790 » by fleet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:04 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Never heard of anything like this, NFL team farming out the training of an offense to a trainer for a quarterback before chosen. Unless it’s happened for other #1s without being reported before. This guy should be getting paid by the Bears.

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1791 » by fleet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:05 pm

DJ: “Anticipation is there. You can tell he is expecting us to be open at a certain time, that’s one of things that’s gonna be better. Just need to be on the same page with him going forward. Just going to take some time. It might be fast, or it might take some time. But I’m hoping it’s fast though”

Read on Twitter
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1792 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed May 1, 2024 2:40 am

fleet wrote:

Sounds like Caleb’s in good hands. I expect him to be great out of the gate.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#1793 » by Chi town » Wed May 1, 2024 2:55 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
fleet wrote:

Sounds like Caleb’s in good hands. I expect him to be great out of the gate.

Me too. I expect fireworks both ways. Good and bad.

It just won’t be boring which is what Bears offense has been for 20 years.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,270

Post#1794 » by TheJordanRule » Wed May 1, 2024 5:01 am

Although I still disagree with Fleet about Ryan Poles’ rating as a GM (which ranks at good to great imo), I must admit that Fleet’s criticism about Poles was, at the very least, on target about Poles’ tendency to overpay for the guys he wants, and undersell the guys he wants to get rid of. Everyone talks about spending a second rounder on Clayfool, but I’d argue that VJJ was a more obscene reach in the 3rd. Fields was essentially just thrown aside for a sixth round draft pick, right after we tanked the kid’s value.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1795 » by fleet » Wed May 1, 2024 10:54 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fine, but you (collectively) aren’t including some $45-50 million in cap in that victory lap. The vets are not part of the draft. Instead of picking players, you decided to spend a ton of money on good players.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,666

Post#1796 » by Michael Jackson » Wed May 1, 2024 12:48 pm

fleet wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Never heard of anything like this, NFL team farming out the training of an offense to a trainer for a quarterback before chosen. Unless it’s happened for other #1s without being reported before. This guy should be getting paid by the Bears.

He is getting taken care of in some way I am sure.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,625
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1797 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed May 1, 2024 1:55 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Spoiler:
fleet wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

He is getting taken care of in some way I am sure.

Setting up his future business as the "guy who trained Caleb". Haha. All of this is great publicity for him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,860

Post#1798 » by dougthonus » Wed May 1, 2024 1:57 pm

fleet wrote:Fine, but you (collectively) aren’t including some $45-50 million in cap in that victory lap. The vets are not part of the draft. Instead of picking players, you decided to spend a ton of money on good players.

The Poles hype cycle reminds me a lot of the AKME hype cycle after one year.

That said, I'm incredibly excited about where the Bears are, even if we mostly backed into that position through dumb luck.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,860

Post#1799 » by dougthonus » Wed May 1, 2024 2:05 pm

fleet wrote:Never heard of anything like this, NFL team farming out the training of an offense to a trainer for a quarterback before chosen. Unless it’s happened for other #1s without being reported before. This guy should be getting paid by the Bears.

Seems pretty straight forward and logical to me.

1: Caleb has a personal QB coach he works with
- I mean probably every elite prospect is working with specialized personal coaches

2: The QB coach he works with knows our QB coach
- Pretty likely that if you're a good enough personal QB coach for elite prospects that you have tons and tons of NFL contacts for long periods of time. I knew a couple of the NBA private coaches in my media days and they knew everyone in the league, it's part of their job.

3: Given the situation of everyone knowing where Caleb is going 4 months in advance, we already started feeding him information
- Of course, why wouldn't we give them this info if they are interested?

I think this is all great, the earlier Caleb can get a head start the better. Would be awesome if he's had an extra couple months of learning the system with a pro coach while he can't work out with the team, and it's great that he's interested in doing it. It's probably not incredibly common just because teams never know for sure if they will get a guy unless they are picking #1, but otherwise feels like common sense.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,957

Post#1800 » by Dresden » Wed May 1, 2024 2:16 pm

Colin Cowherd with a glowing assessment of the Bears offseason:

"Caleb Williams is significantly more talented, more accurate than Justin Fields. [This is] the first time I can ever remember the Bears having a top 7-8-9-10 offensive personnel group. This is a real team, a real offense. And if you count free agency and your top couple of picks, no NFL team, and it's the right side of the ball, will look more different than the Chicago Bears—one of the best receiver groups in the league, one of the most talented quarterbacks, better-than-average tight end, a running back that can catch, Poles is a former offensive lineman, I like both their tackles. This is the way, this side of the ball. And no team upgraded more than the Chicago Bears if you count free agency and their top couple of picks. That, I can guarantee."

Return to Chicago Bulls