Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 381

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1821 » by JockItch43 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:14 pm

NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1822 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed May 1, 2024 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,270

Post#1823 » by TheJordanRule » Wed May 1, 2024 10:20 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dres and you have demonstrated just how high the media is on our team due to all of our moves... which solidifies the fact that our optimism about this upcoming season is the opposite of blind, which is a refreshing change from what it usually is.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#1824 » by JockItch43 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:24 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:Dres and you have demonstrated just how high the media is on our team due to all of our moves... which solidifies the fact that our optimism about this upcoming season is the opposite of blind, which is a refreshing change from what it usually is.

Almost would be shocked if the NFL didn't force us to finally participate in Hard Knocks... and I'm here for it even if the organization isn't.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,954

Post#1825 » by Dresden » Wed May 1, 2024 11:27 pm

It will be pretty disappointing if we don't make the playoffs this year.
JockItch43
Analyst

Post#1826 » by JockItch43 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:50 pm

Great interview with TJ, who coaches Rome. As if we need anymore ammunition to get hyped as Bears fans.

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,666

Post#1827 » by Michael Jackson » Thu May 2, 2024 1:35 am

JockItch43 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Dres and you have demonstrated just how high the media is on our team due to all of our moves... which solidifies the fact that our optimism about this upcoming season is the opposite of blind, which is a refreshing change from what it usually is.

Almost would be shocked if the NFL didn't force us to finally participate in Hard Knocks... and I'm here for it even if the organization isn't.

I hope not. At least not year one.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,544

Post#1828 » by fleet » Thu May 2, 2024 1:45 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another. The more I think about the Bears bringing in Caleb’s buddies on contracts, the more I don’t like it. 1, Caleb hasn’t earned that kind of power yet, and it seems like a bad idea to be getting special favors like that without earning it. 2, the Bears should be run as a meritocracy. Not that this is consequential. It isn’t. But it’s a compromise. This is only the beginning. I wonder how Caleb’s teammates view such things.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1829 » by chitowndish » Thu May 2, 2024 1:46 am

Dresden wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure why punters are so under appreciated. It can be a pretty big advantage in a tight game if your punter is consistently out kicking the other punter, and pinning them back deep inside the 20. That can really help the defense.

If you think your offense is going to be so good that you only are punting 2-3 times a game, I guess you could say it is a bit of a waste, but in a close game, that can still make a difference. And how many 4th round picks can you say that about?

I agree I think it's because for the most part punters are the same so there isn't much reason to pay one over the other but I think a special punter is something that is worth having I just don't think a significantly better punter happens often enough for it to register in projecting what they are worth. Then I think the main thing I've heard is where he is drafted puts him at pretty high pay for even a veteran punter.

I am not too worried about that because we probably have the best punter for the next decade locked up so what he makes as a rookie isn't as important to me as the value the guy is going to bring over his career. Also like you mention I think in the regular season the punter probably isn't the biggest deal but in a close game against a good team that is tough at all phases of the game (like what you will run into later in the playoffs) an edge at punting is going to have good value.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1830 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu May 2, 2024 2:49 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1831 » by Dresden » Thu May 2, 2024 2:54 am

fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Another. The more I think about the Bears bringing in Caleb’s buddies on contracts, the more I don’t like it. 1, Caleb hasn’t earned that kind of power yet, and it seems like a bad idea to be getting special favors like that without earning it. 2, the Bears should be run as a meritocracy. Not that this is consequential. It isn’t. But it’s a compromise. This is only the beginning. I wonder how Caleb’s teammates view such things.

Yeah, let's look for more things to worry about. I guess people are done fretting over his nails, or his character, or if he was too Hollywood, so now this...
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#1832 » by Jeffster81 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:43 am

fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Bears once brought in Casey Urlacher. They once brought in Khalil Mack's brother. I doubt bringing in a buddy of Caleb's is going to mount to everything. Caleb is also smart enough to know that his buddy has to earn the spot on th Bears because I am confident that Poles would release Caleb's buddy if he is not good enough.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,464

Post#1833 » by CBS7 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:10 am

fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Its basically just a camp invite at a position of need. It's a pretty low ask. Not like he was promised a roster spot or anything.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,544

Post#1834 » by fleet » Thu May 2, 2024 8:48 am

CBS7 wrote:
fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

Its basically just a camp invite at a position of need. It's a pretty low ask. Not like he was promised a roster spot or anything.

I know what this is. I just don’t hear about Tremaine Edmunds friends getting them. Or Odunze. If he balls out none of it matters. It doesn’t matter anyway. But he is getting special treatment. Which is what quarterbacks get. But this guy hasn’t even put on a practice jersey yet. It could be a positive. Like Caleb bringing his O-line to the Heisman ceremony, and handing out Beats to his team
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1835 » by Michael Jackson » Thu May 2, 2024 12:40 pm

fleet wrote:
CBS7 wrote:
fleet wrote:

I know what this is. I just don’t hear about Tremaine Edmunds friends getting them. Or Odunze. If he balls out none of it matters. It doesn’t matter anyway. But he is getting special treatment. Which is what quarterbacks get. But this guy hasn’t even put on a practice jersey yet. It could be a positive. Like Caleb bringing his O-line to the Heisman ceremony, and handing out Beats to his team

Caleb is well liked it seems. I mean yeah if this guy is getting a Thanis type spot that’s icky. In many, ways it’s great that he has loyalty to the people who got him here.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,833

Post#1836 » by Jcool0 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 606

Post#1837 » by Almost Retired » Thu May 2, 2024 1:03 pm

CBS7 wrote:
fleet wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

And it just could be the kid has some talent. Caleb might have put in a word. And if TJ Houshmandzade think the kid has talent I'd tend to trust his judgement. He's an older player and he might have had hamstring issues last season so his 40 time was negatively affected. He doesn't have that big of a hurdle to overcome to at least make the practice squad. Velus Jones has been a bust. Colin Johnson? Nsimba Webster? Let's see how it plays out. I don't think Poles and the coaching staff would keep the kid on the squad if he doesn't perform. He will have a slight advantage in that he and Caleb are familiar with one another on the playing field. But roster spots are precious, especially as our roster talent level keeps elevating. Trust Poles and the coaching staff.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1838 » by Michael Jackson » Thu May 2, 2024 1:14 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah saw this in the Trib yesterday. JB is against it from the jump. I don’t really disagree because it will raise taxes no matter what Johnson and the Bears say. Still lots of hurdles. I wonder if this is just to appease fans and Arlington is still the plan and the Bears and Johnson can point at the gov and the parks etc… and say hey we tried.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,756

Post#1839 » by DuckIII » Thu May 2, 2024 1:30 pm

Dresden wrote:There's quite a bit of luck in most dynasties. The Chiefs getting Mahomes and him turning out to be as good as he is was a lot of luck. MJ lasting until 3rd in the draft was luck. The 49'ers getting Joe Montana and then Steve Young was a lot of luck. In hindsight you can say they were genius moves, but really no one knows for sure if players will be all time greats. A few do, 99% don't. When you hit that 1%, it makes you look smart, but in fact it's also luck.

I agree. Except perhaps Mahomes isn’t a very good example here. The Chiefs targeted him specifically and traded three picks to get him. They are “lucky” the most talented QB of all time was not taken #1 over-all, sure. But it’s hard for me to put this on the “luck” example list since they made an affirmative move to get him and still took him very high in the draft.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1840 » by Dresden » Thu May 2, 2024 1:41 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dresden wrote:There's quite a bit of luck in most dynasties. The Chiefs getting Mahomes and him turning out to be as good as he is was a lot of luck. MJ lasting until 3rd in the draft was luck. The 49'ers getting Joe Montana and then Steve Young was a lot of luck. In hindsight you can say they were genius moves, but really no one knows for sure if players will be all time greats. A few do, 99% don't. When you hit that 1%, it makes you look smart, but in fact it's also luck.

I agree. Except perhaps Mahomes isn’t a very good example here. The Chiefs targeted him specifically and traded three picks to get him. They are “lucky” the most talented QB of all time was not taken #1 over-all, sure. But it’s hard for me to put this on the “luck” example list since they made an affirmative move to get him and still took him very high in the draft.

That's true. It's just hard to say what's luck and what's smarts. Bears spent a lot to move up for Mitch. Same with 49'ers and Lance. Were the Chiefs just smarter, or did they just get lucky Mahomes was as good as he was. I think it's hard to say.

Return to Chicago Bulls