Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,744

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#1581 » by Ice Man » Sun May 5, 2024 1:39 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Wendell was a tough fit here with Lauri honestly and he was getting demolished on defense.

Yes and no. Stacey dogged him nonstop -- the most that I ever heard Stacey dogging a Bull -- for using drop coverage pick and roll, which conceded floaters. But there's no way on God's green earth that Wendell was making that decision on his own, game after game after game. He was clearly doing what he was instructed to do.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1582 » by Ice Man » Sun May 5, 2024 1:42 pm

DuckIII wrote:Yeah, Minny is a very tough matchup for Denver.

Well, there's a tough matchup and then there's a tough matchup when your second best player goes 17/1/4. Denver would look a whole lot different with playoff Murray. But it's not clear that he will be appearing this year.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,339

Post#1583 » by kodo » Sun May 5, 2024 3:05 pm

I don't see Denver repeating with a badly injured Murray. Last year vs Minny, Murray was 27 ppg average on 47%/40% shooting. He was actually the main factor in the MIN series, not Joker. G1 he had 27, Joker had 18. G2 he had 40, Joker had 27. G3 MPJ had 25, Joker had 20. By then, 3-0 lead. TBH, even though it was a short series DEN didn't look that dominant in the LA series either.

I didn't realize Denver's guard depth was that shallow behind Jamal. Bulls legend Justin Holiday was getting serious minutes, as was Reggie Jackson.

But Jamal looked much better in the 2nd half, he might be close to healthy for the rest of the series?
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,782

Post#1584 » by DuckIII » Sun May 5, 2024 4:53 pm

Ice Man wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Yeah, Minny is a very tough matchup for Denver.

Well, there's a tough matchup and then there's a tough matchup when your second best player goes 17/1/4. Denver would look a whole lot different with playoff Murray. But it's not clear that he will be appearing this year.

That definitely makes it a tougher matchup. But it’s still a tough matchup for Denver regardless. Edwards D on Murray and three different types of bigs to constantly throw at Jokic. I know they were not built to battle Denver. But if you did build a team to battle Denver, this is probably how you would do it.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1585 » by DuckIII » Sun May 5, 2024 5:07 pm

Kendrick Perkins sipping on a refreshing cocktail of xenophobia with a splash of racism this morning on NBA Countdown. He thanked Anthony Edwards on behalf of himself and all the “NBA OGs and old heads who retired and went away from basketball, we are ready to renew our vows and come back to the NBA because he has given us life again being that type of competitor being that type of leader . . .”

I’ll stop here with the verbatim quote because up to this point I assumed he was going to talk about how Ant has never complained about being in Minny, no drama, just worked hard and elevated his team, not demanding trades to join superstars, game not based on flops, etc. A refreshing change from many of our modern superstars.

But it’s Perk, the AK of NBA analysts, so he went into full double down Perk mode and completed the sentence with “. . . we’re in the era right now when the Europeans were looking like they were taking over the game of basketball and Anthony Edwards has stepped up to the plate and said hold up, one second, we’re still here.”

I know ESPN has a long and proud history of sprinkling morons into their broadcasts to help generate controversy and train-wreck gawking, but Perk is below all standards of competence. It’s embarrassing.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,295

Post#1586 » by prolific passer » Sun May 5, 2024 6:41 pm

DuckIII wrote:Kendrick Perkins sipping on a refreshing cocktail of xenophobia with a splash of racism this morning on NBA Countdown. He thanked Anthony Edwards on behalf of himself and all the “NBA OGs and old heads who retired and went away from basketball, we are ready to renew our vows and come back to the NBA because he has given us life again being that type of competitor being that type of leader . . .”

I’ll stop here with the verbatim quote because up to this point I assumed he was going to talk about how Ant has never complained about being in Minny, no drama, just worked hard and elevated his team, not demanding trades to join superstars, game not based on flops, etc. A refreshing change from many of our modern superstars.

But it’s Perk, the AK of NBA analysts, so he went into full double down Perk mode and completed the sentence with “. . . we’re in the era right now when the Europeans were looking like they were taking over the game of basketball and Anthony Edwards has stepped up to the plate and said hold up, one second, we’re still here.”

I know ESPN has a long and proud history of sprinkling morons into their broadcasts to help generate controversy and train-wreck gawking, but Perk is below all standards of competence. It’s embarrassing.

Saying stupid and controversial stuff is how you make in sports media. Thank Skip Bayless for that as everybody else is following his lead.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#1587 » by MrSparkle » Sun May 5, 2024 6:45 pm

Lot of bricks in this game. Pretty much Mitchell vs Paolo, and 8 defenders.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1588 » by DuckIII » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 pm

prolific passer wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Kendrick Perkins sipping on a refreshing cocktail of xenophobia with a splash of racism this morning on NBA Countdown. He thanked Anthony Edwards on behalf of himself and all the “NBA OGs and old heads who retired and went away from basketball, we are ready to renew our vows and come back to the NBA because he has given us life again being that type of competitor being that type of leader . . .”

Saying stupid and controversial stuff is how you make in sports media. Thank Skip Bayless for that as everybody else is following his lead.

Skip Bayless says “stupid” things because he knows his listeners are stupid and crave the made-up drama. He’s a fraud, but he’s not being stupid. He’s being PT Barnum.

Perkins says stupid (and evidently anti-“European”) things because he believes them to be true.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1589 » by Ice Man » Sun May 5, 2024 8:27 pm

Well said. As for the Skip Bayless comparison mentioned above, yes absolutely Skip is a troll. But to my knowledge he and Stephen A. and the other trolls whom I ignore don't play the "white vs. black" people game. Which puts Perk in a lower circle of hell.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1590 » by Ice Man » Sun May 5, 2024 8:32 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Lot of bricks in this game. Pretty much Mitchell vs Paolo, and 8 defenders.

Whichever team wins ... checks, it was Cleveland ... will be Boston food. I don't see that being a series.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach

Post#1591 » by prolific passer » Sun May 5, 2024 8:48 pm

Ice Man wrote:

Well said. As for the Skip Bayless comparison mentioned above, yes absolutely Skip is a troll. But to my knowledge he and Stephen A. and the other trolls whom I ignore don't play the "white vs. black" people game. Which puts Perk in a lower circle of hell.

Yeah that was stupid of Perk and he has gotten more people on the anti Jokic train saying he still doesn't deserve a MVP for this season.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#1592 » by dumbell78 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:30 pm

Between the ESPN crew, and the TNT commercials, my mute button is very active these days. Basically, the volume only stays on when the game is on. Its the only possible way these days.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1593 » by DuckIII » Sun May 5, 2024 10:39 pm

prolific passer wrote:Yeah that was stupid of Perk and he has gotten more people on the anti Jokic train saying he still doesn't deserve a MVP for this season.

Perk is the Diana Taurasi to European Whitey’s Caitlin Clark.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,680

Post#1594 » by Michael Jackson » Sun May 5, 2024 10:52 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Wendell was a tough fit here with Lauri honestly and he was getting demolished on defense.

Yes and no. Stacey dogged him nonstop -- the most that I ever heard Stacey dogging a Bull -- for using drop coverage pick and roll, which conceded floaters. But there's no way on God's green earth that Wendell was making that decision on his own, game after game after game. He was clearly doing what he was instructed to do.

He also looks better if the backcourt wasn't a defensive sieve like it was. Caruso, Ayo and even current Coby help his cause a lot.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1595 » by Michael Jackson » Sun May 5, 2024 11:08 pm

DuckIII wrote:
prolific passer wrote:

Skip Bayless says “stupid” things because he knows his listeners are stupid and crave the made-up drama. He’s a fraud, but he’s not being stupid. He’s being PT Barnum.

Perkins says stupid (and evidently anti-“European”) things because he believes them to be true.

He forgot to throw the Canadians under the bus though.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1596 » by Michael Jackson » Sun May 5, 2024 11:10 pm

Ice Man wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Lot of bricks in this game. Pretty much Mitchell vs Paolo, and 8 defenders.

Whichever team wins ... checks, it was Cleveland ... will be Boston food. I don't see that being a series.

Didn't see todays game... I was immobile the past two weeks and finally able tto get stuff done... but the series was fun and Paolo really showed out as a scorer. Still has a lot of work to do decision making but he needs some shooters.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach

Post#1597 » by prolific passer » Sun May 5, 2024 11:21 pm

DuckIII wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Yeah that was stupid of Perk and he has gotten more people on the anti Jokic train saying he still doesn't deserve a MVP for this season.

Perk is the Diana Taurasi to European Whitey’s Caitlin Clark.

Nobody watches more basketball than Perk does though and he'll tell you.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,944

Post#1598 » by jc23 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:12 am

Perk's comments on last years MVP race was pretty, pretty, pretty low. Doesn't surprise me he went back to those depths.
Be curious, Not judgmental
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,591

Post#1599 » by dice » Mon May 6, 2024 2:42 am

DuckIII wrote:
prolific passer wrote:

someone should tell perk he was only in the league as long as he was because KG got traded to boston. same reason he has his current job

that said, has he ever had irrationally negative things to say about white american players? is it possible this is just moron patriotism?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1600 » by DuckIII » Mon May 6, 2024 11:53 am

dice wrote:that said, has he ever had irrationally negative things to say about white american players? is it possible this is just moron patriotism?

I’ve never seen it. Could just be a Euro/American thing, but it did not feel that way to me. He was taking about NBA OGs and Old Heads who had literally turned their back on the NBA because the Euros were taking over but now that Ant is repping they’re coming back. Couple it with the Jokic comments he’s made and my opinion, as stated in my post, is it’s mostly xenophobic and a little bit black NBA vs. white NBA.

And while I know those prejudices and biases exist, and frankly are probably based on regional basketball pride more than race, a paid NBA analyst should not be fanning those flames on the ESPN premiere NBA broadcast. It would be different if it were linked to an acute incident, but it wasn’t. It was just some random gratuitous complaint about how euros were taking over the NBA. Keep that type of **** on your local bar stool.

Return to Chicago Bulls