Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,154

Re: Around The NBA : 2023-24 Season #2 

Post#1461 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:29 pm

FriedRise wrote:The Suns would've been better off if they got a point guard instead of Bradley Beal. They could've saved themselves some pain and agony if they'd just paid attention to AK's team building failures in doubling down on wing scorers who don't defend without any point guard or interior defense.

They were a 64-win team two seasons ago, but that was because with Chris Paul there, which allowed Booker to focus on just being a scorer. Then they had so many 3&D players up and down their roster who can pick up the slack and chip in for 15-20pts a night. They traded all that depth for KD (kinda hard to argue with that), but then the next moves should've been to replenished their depth - not completely gut their already thin roster for another 3rd scorer who also doesn't defend.

Clippers too- chronically underachieving (even in the first year, when they had a healthy Kawhi). And the Heat of course (2/4- pretty disappointing for 2 superstars and a top-5 PF).

I think everyone’s enamored with the 90s Bulls concept. PG-less. But thing is, you had 3 All-Defensive players, 1 elite playmaker, and it was a different era.

Murray, Curry, Jrue, rejuvenated Rondo/Lebron, Lowry, Kyrie, Parker… the last teams to win without star PGs were the Heat (struggled mightily considering their roster) and Kobe/Fisher Lakers.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#1462 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:40 pm

prolific passer wrote:Hard fought 5 game series. Nuggets were tested.

Fun series, Lebron and AD gave it their all and Denver, while dispatching them in 5, was certainly tested in each game.

I'm curious to see what happens with LA. Lebron clearly wants to try and run it back one more time but the current roster isn't going to do it -- will they have any interest in Zach and/or AC this offseason? AC would really help them as an elite role player defensively, which they don't have. Zach would be an interesting addition although I'm not sure the could take on his contract or what we'd have to take on.

As for the Nuggets, it's uncanny how good of a team they are, everybody compliments each other perfectly. And when times get tough you have Murray making tough shots and Joker locking it down on the boards and elsewhere.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,012

Post#1463 » by Am2626 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 pm

madvillian wrote:
kodo wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:Like I said before, the Suns are stuck with this team. They might shuffle a few bench pieces around but that's about it.

Agreed they're not going to / can't blow it up. Standard operating procedure here is to blame & fire the coach.

“Those sources said Durant had persistent issues with the offense, feeling that he was being relegated to the corner far too often and not having the proper designs to play to his strengths as the offense was built around pick-and-rolls.”

Ishbia is an example of an owner that spends but still stinks. I think the Suns might have a worse short term future than even Chicago. That said, I wouldn't mind trying to swing a trade with them if they are going to tear it down. Both squads have some overpaid guys that might look better with a change of scenery.

Who would you want the Bulls to trade for on that team and who would you want the Bulls to trade away?
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1464 » by Am2626 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm

The Explorer wrote:
ThreeMileAllan wrote:my personal idea of heaven is to watch God explain to LeBron fans and realGM player Comparison posters that LeBron is not even close to Jordan.

I LOVE WATCHING LEBRON LOSE

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

For a man who constantly calls himself the GOAT and has a tattoo of 'Chosen One', he has an awful lot of losses on his resume. 4 titles in 21 years with multiple missed playoffs, sweeps, and gentlemen's sweeps.

If Rose doesn’t tear his ACL, the Spurs don’t blow a sizable lead in the closing moments of a closeout game, and Draymond Green doesn’t get himself suspended LeBron may only have the one ring from the COVID Bubble.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,722

Post#1465 » by madvillian » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 pm

Am2626 wrote:
madvillian wrote:
kodo wrote:
Agreed they're not going to / can't blow it up. Standard operating procedure here is to blame & fire the coach.

Ishbia is an example of an owner that spends but still stinks. I think the Suns might have a worse short term future than even Chicago. That said, I wouldn't mind trying to swing a trade with them if they are going to tear it down. Both squads have some overpaid guys that might look better with a change of scenery.

Who would you want the Bulls to trade for on that team and who would you want the Bulls to trade away?

Durant for Zach + filler. I'm just tired of the Bulls and want to see change, even for just change's sake and nothing else.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,625
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1466 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:06 pm

I'll be trying to watch all 3 games tonight. Hoping Indy and NY finish their series and a good game from Cle/Orl (don't really care who wins).
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,547

Post#1467 » by fleet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,907

Post#1468 » by The Explorer » Wed May 1, 2024 12:47 am

Am2626 wrote:
The Explorer wrote:
ThreeMileAllan wrote:my personal idea of heaven is to watch God explain to LeBron fans and realGM player Comparison posters that LeBron is not even close to Jordan.

I LOVE WATCHING LEBRON LOSE

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

For a man who constantly calls himself the GOAT and has a tattoo of 'Chosen One', he has an awful lot of losses on his resume. 4 titles in 21 years with multiple missed playoffs, sweeps, and gentlemen's sweeps.

If Rose doesn’t tear his ACL, the Spurs don’t blow a sizable lead in the closing moments of a closeout game, and Draymond Green doesn’t get himself suspended LeBron may only have the one ring from the COVID Bubble.

And all that despite him picking his own teammates, firing and hiring coaches. We've never seen a player GM at the level LeGM did for all these years, and despite all the extra power he had he still failed more than he succeeded. I personally don't have him in my top 5 all time. I think he's comfortably in the 7-8 range.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1469 » by jc23 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:18 am

Love the low scoring defensive battles. eff that 140+ points chill defense garbage.
Be curious, Not judgmental
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1470 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 1:35 am

Yikes - come on NYK. Dunno why Brunson didn’t hold for the foul shots.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,355

Post#1471 » by Kurt Heimlich » Wed May 1, 2024 1:36 am

Wow what a comeback at the end by the sixers here. Love thibs and brunson and don't like embiid at all, but its just in my marrow to root against the knicks and laugh joyously when they fail.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,728

Post#1472 » by Ice Man » Wed May 1, 2024 1:57 am

Oh my goodness what a series this Knicks-Sixers matchup is. And Tyrese Maxey is a bad, bad man. Hell no. He's badder than that.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1473 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 2:26 am

Such a big talent gap between the Bulls and all these teams this week. I almost feel like I enjoy the NBA again. :lol:
Am2626
Analyst

Post#1474 » by Am2626 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:02 am

madvillian wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
madvillian wrote:

Durant for Zach + filler. I'm just tired of the Bulls and want to see change, even for just change's sake and nothing else.

If the Bulls can make this trade they should. I don’t think Phoenix would want to do this though. Booker, LaVine, and Beal are pretty much the same player. I don’t see how having 3 of them on one team would work.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,448

Post#1475 » by Muzbar » Wed May 1, 2024 5:04 am

Am2626 wrote:
madvillian wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

If the Bulls can make this trade they should. I don’t think Phoenix would want to do this though. Booker, LaVine, and Beal are pretty much the same player. I don’t see how having 3 of them on one team would work.

Having 2 of them on the team didn't work, 3 definitely isn't going to be better.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,309

Post#1476 » by dumbell78 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:11 am

Pretty crazy Knicks were up 6 with under 30 seconds left and blew it. Reggie Miller should have been on the call with all those retired Knicks sitting courtside.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#1477 » by kodo » Wed May 1, 2024 5:30 am

Ex-Bulls Bobby Portis & Pat Bev just led the Bucks to a blowout of the Pacers. And that's not even the craziest thing that happened tonight.
First round is insane this year.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,728

Post#1478 » by Ice Man » Wed May 1, 2024 11:27 am

dumbell78 wrote:Pretty crazy Knicks were up 6 with under 30 seconds left and blew it.

I assume that people do those "real time odds of winning" calculations for basketball, too. The Knicks must have been 99%+. Even with Maxey draining two very difficult 3s, the Knicks very likely win if -

1) Mitchell Robinson doesn't foul on one of those 3s
2) Josh Hart makes both his free throws
3) The Knicks score on the last possession

Then again, the Sixers lost in much the same way in Game 2. Such are the dice of Fate.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#1479 » by MrSparkle » Wed May 1, 2024 3:34 pm

Was it me or did Maxey travel on the insane 4-point play (2nd to last make, in regulation)? I'm genuinely curious how the F* you can take 2.5 steps behind the 3P line without dribbling, switch to the left pivot foot, and then jump off the right foot? Looked at it in slow-motion several times, and if I was a Knicks fan, I'd be livid. Cause on top of that, Embiid is clearly moving on his screen (with a shoulder bump on top of it), feet definitely never set.

Otherwise , as a 3rd party watcher, it was a wild shot (not to mention the next one), and exciting ending. And despite my problem with the footwork, in real-time, that would've been dicey to call a travel for any ref, and Maxey totally deserved that MIP award over Coby (despite Coby's bigger jumps statistically). He went from MIP (fringe star) to MIP 2.0 (perennial all-star).

Maxey was a prospect I liked... along with Jrue. Sometimes these clear stud guards drop to the late first round, and it makes no sense to me. My hot take is that college FG%s need to be taken with a grain of salt. Smaller sample size with way less games and minutes, 1-and-done/quicker learning curve, wild variances in SOS, usage, tighter spacing, tighter coaching, etc.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,460

Post#1480 » by samwana » Wed May 1, 2024 4:17 pm

dumbell78 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:The Bradley Beal trade didn't make sense for the Suns when it happened, and it's just looking worse and worse by the day.

Even the KD one sucked if you ask me.

Traded all your foreseeable draft picks and two young players for these guys. Team has no assets outside of the only guy that showed up tonight.

Way to make a splash Mr new Billionaire owner.
Agreed KD grade sucked big time and they doubled down with the Beal trade. Worse than what we have tbh.

Return to Chicago Bulls