Image ImageImage Image

Patrick Williams next deal discussion with poll

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

How much do you think PWill averages over his next deal?

$20M+
1%
$15M - $20M
30%
$12M - $15M (MLE is $12.3M, QO is $12.9M)
43%
Less than $12M
26%

Total votes: 90

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,857

Re: Patrick Williams next deal discussion with poll 

Post#221 » by kulaz3000 » Mon May 20, 2024 4:04 am

Hangtime84 wrote:I have source that told me Pat is done as a Chicago Bull, but I told them nah.

So far they been right about all other nba moves team or business so I’m worried.

Why would it be a bad thing that the Pat is done as a Bull? Perhaps there are still some teams in the league that are banking on the potential they see, and they are happy to take him on board. If we can get something in return for him great, better than losing him for nothing.

Perhaps the Pistons are still interested in him.
Why so serious?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,181

Post#222 » by MrSparkle » Mon May 20, 2024 4:58 am

The sad truth is he’s a total top-10 bust. He’s had numerous opportunities to handle the ball, and he can’t do anything with it. Makes Otto Porter look like a career HOFer.
WestsideResider
Head Coach
And1: 3,094

Post#223 » by WestsideResider » Mon May 20, 2024 5:58 am

People get too wrapped up in what he could potentially turn into and not the 3 years of sub-mediocre play he’s already had. He’s easily replaceable. There’s 0 reason to bring him back. Move on
I'm not here to argue.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#224 » by League Circles » Mon May 20, 2024 1:39 pm

WestsideResider wrote:People get too wrapped up in what he could potentially turn into and not the 3 years of sub-mediocre play he’s already had. He’s easily replaceable. There’s 0 reason to bring him back. Move on

He's already a good defender and good three point shooter. The combination of those two traits plus potential to improve a lot in stuff like ball handling is a pretty decent place for him to be. Yes he's underwhelmed relative to his draft position, but we don't have much to replace his skillset with.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dabig3
Rookie
And1: 195

Post#225 » by dabig3 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:40 pm

Anything over 20M a year is a hard no.

But if he wants to take the Bulls QO and bet on himself next season for his next payout, then sure. He has 1 more season to impress.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,378

Post#226 » by kodo » Mon May 20, 2024 4:17 pm

Patrick every year has been per 36 minutes, 13 points 5 rebounds, negligible playmaking. Good 3P accuracy on low volume (pretty common situation for a roleplayer though) so under 2.0 3PM per 36.

Comparable non-rookie contract forwards hitting those #s:
- Derrick Jones (UFA)
- Grant Williams ($12M)
- Caleb Martin ($6.8M)
- Herb Jones ($12M)
- Jaden McDaniels ($22.5M in 2025)
- Josh Green ($12.6M)

It will be interesting to see what Okoro gets, his #s almost identical to Patrick's (9-10 ppg, 3-4 rpg, 39% 3P shooting, 4th year, drafted top 5). Big factor though is Okoro is very durable, 280 games available vs 213.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,181

Post#227 » by MrSparkle » Mon May 20, 2024 4:43 pm

kodo wrote:Patrick every year has been per 36 minutes, 13 points 5 rebounds, negligible playmaking. Good 3P accuracy on low volume (pretty common situation for a roleplayer though) so under 2.0 3PM per 36.

Comparable non-rookie contract forwards hitting those #s:
- Derrick Jones (UFA)
- Grant Williams ($12M)
- Caleb Martin ($6.8M)
- Herb Jones ($12M)
- Jaden McDaniels ($22.5M in 2025)
- Josh Green ($12.6M)

It will be interesting to see what Okoro gets, his #s almost identical to Patrick's (9-10 ppg, 3-4 rpg, 39% 3P shooting, 4th year, drafted top 5). Big factor though is Okoro is very durable, 280 games available vs 213.

I think Okoro and McDaniels both have a defensive gear that Patrick doesn't. Jaden especially- bad sportsmanship attempting that dunk in closing seconds last night, but obviously getting under another team's skin can be a competitive advantage (until it isn't)... Draymond, Brooks, Smart, Grayson, etc.

But MIN took a big leap of faith with that McDaniels extension. Two things I imagine went in his favor for negotiations: TWolves trading all their future assets for Gobert (thereby both planning on being deep in luxury tax, and not letting any existing asset on the roster walk for nothing), and he stepped up in his first post-season (outperformed reg.). It panned out, as this happened the 2nd year in a row.

Small sample size with Patrick , although he looked overwhelmed and got demolished by Giannis, and was as limp as ever in last year's Heat play-in (and his usual mediocre 10 point self in Toronto). Don't think we need more evidence to know that Patrick doesn't "rise to the occasion." It's a bummer. I had 75% faith originally in that pick, and I've traditionally turned on almost every 4y disappointment before they came back and proved me wrong (Chandler, Niko, Bobby, Lauri, Coby) - high on those 3 before I officially gave up, and then they blossomed (here or elsewhere). Maybe the same thing happens with Pat.

But I've said this before... I don't love putting THAT much stock in personality, but it's frustrating knowing that even if Patrick became a great player (hypothetically), his style of game would basically be SLOW. He liked face-up dribbling and using his length to get a slow mid-range shot off on his summer league/covid-camp highlight reel. Defensively he rotates and sticks to his man well - but he doesn't try to suffocate or stuff anybody like Caruso.

No exaggeration, but leading up to that COVID draft where I had all the time in the world on my hands... I was watching all those interviews with the prospects, and to paraphrase myself... I really liked Edwards' personality. Not afraid to be honest, direct, pretty funny, very energetic, down to earth. And watching his HS and limited college clips, he wasn't polished, but he was aggressive. So I was pretty high on him. I didn't look up at Patrick at all, so the pick was a surprise. But damned if I'm not honest, when I started hearing interviews with the kid, I felt a little nervous. Slow reaction time, uninteresting responses, and poor awareness beyond "saying the right thing." Again, I know you can't read too much into an interview, cause rookie Rose was about 100x the killer he was a talker (and Kawhi)... But man. I feel like if you draft top-5, either you should be getting a 20+ PPG prospect or you should be getting a strong leader who could direct and lead your team within 5 years.

We got a mouse who barely scored 10 PPG. And it seems like it doesn't matter whether half the roster's scoring/usage options are injured or healthy... He's still a 9-10 PPG guy. :lol: Anyway - that's maybe my final vent on Patrick. Now it's on him to resign cheap and pull a Coby, play a lot better... Or leave and pull a Wendell/Snell/Thabo and be somebody else's buy-low/value starter. But all-star/franchise-player he is not and will never be. It would be straight preposterous.

All that said... Maybe that's another way to look at this #11 pick. Are you atleast getting a productive scorer (20+ PPG caliber), or somebody who could talk and direct this rudderless team (when Caruso sits)? Maybe that needs to be more on AK's mind than getting the most athletic and multi-skilled prospect. End of the day, the amount of POINTS that all his picks combined to average is ****ing pitiful. Atleast Ayo broke the 11 PPG barrier. Kind of worried he'll get cute again, with Collier or Cody. Another 8 PPG special.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,946

Post#228 » by ChettheJet » Mon May 20, 2024 7:10 pm

Then consider this speculation article

[url]https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10121536-paul-george-to-new-york-knicks-and-5-other-nba-free-agent-moves-that-should-happen?lid=9e4fea9cmien/[url]

It of course doesn't offer a dollar figure but makes the strange case that somehow Patrick is a significant FA move that the Jazz should make. So those of you who want him gone can see how he does next to another former Bulls lottery pick. The writer sees risk, he broke his wrist to miss a year and he broke his foot which got stepped on as I recall. So it's not like he keeps having the same knee injury over and over, broken bones when you get hit just happen. Note that the season before last, he played 82 games. I doubt many are looking at Patrick as key to the off season.

Now I would think that Demar would be a much more prominent FA to discuss but that requires better informed speculation to identify where he could go.
WestsideResider
Head Coach
And1: 3,094

Post#229 » by WestsideResider » Mon May 20, 2024 9:45 pm

League Circles wrote:
WestsideResider wrote:People get too wrapped up in what he could potentially turn into and not the 3 years of sub-mediocre play he’s already had. He’s easily replaceable. There’s 0 reason to bring him back. Move on

He's already a good defender and good three point shooter. The combination of those two traits plus potential to improve a lot in stuff like ball handling is a pretty decent place for him to be. Yes he's underwhelmed relative to his draft position, but we don't have much to replace his skillset with.

You could replace him with a guy from the g-league or a second rounder and get the same production
I'm not here to argue.
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 663

Post#230 » by boozapalooza » Mon May 20, 2024 10:04 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:I have source that told me Pat is done as a Chicago Bull, but I told them nah.

So far they been right about all other nba moves team or business so I’m worried.

Interesting. Reminds me of a few (rare) moments this year where the whole team was celebrating something, and you could see Pat off to the side not giving a f***. I thought it was weird. But maybe there something more going on behind the scenes. Either he is done with the org and wants to go elsewhere, or the org has their own issues with him.

I went down the rabbit hole and cannot find the specific video that was previously circulating of this, but it was from this Caruso buzzer beater on 10/27. Whole bench celebrating and Pat literally walked straight to the locker room with zero emotion.

JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Post#231 » by JohnnyTapwater » Mon May 20, 2024 10:30 pm

Coby's improvement has given me hope for Pat.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,781

Post#232 » by Ice Man » Mon May 20, 2024 10:33 pm

boozapalooza wrote:I went down the rabbit hole and cannot find the specific video that was previously circulating of this, but it was from this Caruso buzzer beater on 10/27. Whole bench celebrating and Pat literally walked straight to the locker room with zero emotion.

There's impassive like Tim Duncan and impassive like Tony Snell. There are times when I worry that Pat is the latter.

Return to Chicago Bulls