Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#1261 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 pm

Chi town wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?

This is everything you want to know right here.

Love that Rome is big enough to block too.

They need to keep Cunningham around. He’s strikes me as a guy that is behind the scenes, making a lot of the decisions but not getting credit for it.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,077

Post#1262 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:39 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Really? What’s that based off of? Can’t remember a rookie center getting significant praise. JMS was thrown into the fire in NY last year and it went terribly.

I dunno, just years of watching. :D

Just a quick google search, and I know this is specific to first round but it still seems relevant.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2024/04/25/2024-nfl-draft-history-position-hit-rate/73445148007/

That’s dedication, tracking rookie centers around the league by watching over the years. I don’t have that level of fandom.

I couldn’t find a detailed chart, but a list of rookie pro bowlers over the years doesn’t bode well for centers.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/rookies-selected-to-a-pro-bowl

No its just watching the game over the years. Maybe I'm wrong. I wouldn't expect him to be a pro bowler as a rookie but he would be better than what we have and thats what really matters to me. Anyways I'm sure this talk is all for nothing.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,945

Post#1263 » by nomorezorro » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:42 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No chance I want a rookie center calling out reads for Caleb.

I guess if you think he’s talented enough sit for a bit. Much larger needs elsewhere to me.

letting jpj sit for a year would probably be a good idea. he only had a year of starting experience in college

we can cut nate davis with minimal dead cap next season. jenkins will be a FA. bates is getting paid backup money, and even if he pans out, he can easily kick over to G if needed. we are definitely in a position to be adding iOL depth with an eye towards potentially bumping them into the starting lineup next season.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#1264 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:45 pm

nomorezorro wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No chance I want a rookie center calling out reads for Caleb.

I guess if you think he’s talented enough sit for a bit. Much larger needs elsewhere to me.

letting jpj sit for a year would probably be a good idea. he only had a year of starting experience in college

we can cut nate davis with minimal dead cap next season. jenkins will be a FA. bates is getting paid backup money, and even if he pans out, he can easily kick over to G if needed. we are definitely in a position to be adding iOL depth with an eye towards potentially bumping them into the starting lineup next season.

Very true, the long term outlook on IOL isn’t good.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1265 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Caleb's known for the last 5 months. So the bears tee & condo shopping were legit.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,157

Post#1266 » by molepharmer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm

Prospects Bears interviewed remaining (list from various sources).
Where they rank on the concensusbigboard is the first [number]. Highlighted those that might be picked today.
Course all the local prospects probably aren’t showing up.

OL and DL
[82] Kiran Amegadjie, OT, Yale (T30)
[208] Trevor Keegan, OG, Michigan (T30)
[30] Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon (T30)
[39] Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia (COM)
[103] Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia (COM)
[75] Austin Booker, DE, Kansas (T30)
[66]Adisa Isaac, DE, Penn State (PRO)
[198] Jaylen Harrell, DE, Michigan (PRO)
[unranked] Dashaun Mallory, DT, Arizona State (PRO)

Others
[88] Marshawn Lloyd, RB, USC (PRO)
[114] Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame (LOC)
[176] Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire (T30)
[387] Maema Njongmeta, OLB, Wisconsin (COM)
[510] Bryce Gallagher, LB, Northwestern (T30)
[85] Ben Sinnott, TE, Kansas State (T30)
[61] Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas (COM)
[177] Tanner McLachlan, TE, Arizona (T30)
[76] Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky (T30)
[106] Cam Hart, CB, Notre Dame (LOC)
[155] Elijah Jones, CB, Boston College (T30)
[137] Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn (T30)
[48] Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota (COM)
[91] Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami (T30)
[unranked] Loren Strickland, S, Ball State (WOR)
[104] Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, S, Texas Tech (T30)
[207] Ryan Flournoy, WR, SE Missouri State (T30)
[215] Jha'Quan Jackson, WR, Tulane (T30)
[113] Brenden Rice, WR, USC (PRO)
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,732

Post#1267 » by madvillian » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm

Dude, the NFC North is absolutely loaded. A great 1st round for Detroit, Chicago and the Vikings. Only the Packers had a middling round imo, oh well.

Terrion Walker falling to Detroit thanks to the run of offensive players was a huge break. Yea it took a 3rd rounder but when you're sitting 29 and a top 15 talent on paper falls to you and Brad Holmes thinks it's worth it, imma go along.

Looking forward to the season the North will go through Detroit but the contenders will be contending.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,974

Post#1268 » by Dresden » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:27 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:The #1 mistake teams make in the draft is overthinking and taking a player earlier than he should have gone (ie, Denver/Bo Nix). I'm glad Ryan Poles remained patient, stay out of the kitchen, and made the correct picks in Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze.

There is no excuse for Shane Waldron not to have at least a top 10 offense next year.

I think Nix makes a lot of sense for Denver. Payton's offense is tailor made for a guy like Nix. If there was any coach Nix would be a good fit with, it's Payton. Plus DEN didn't have a second round pick. So it was either take Nix there, or ???
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#1269 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:30 pm

madvillian wrote:Dude, the NFC North is absolutely loaded. A great 1st round for Detroit, Chicago and the Vikings. Only the Packers had a middling round imo, oh well.

Terrion Walker falling to Detroit thanks to the run of offensive players was a huge break. Yea it took a 3rd rounder but when you're sitting 29 and a top 15 talent on paper falls to you and Brad Holmes thinks it's worth it, imma go along.

Looking forward to the season the North will go through Detroit but the contenders will be contending.

Turner was a big get for the Vikes. I think JJ is just a total mystery, so a lot is going to hinge on how he turns out.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1270 » by Dresden » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 pm

fleet wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Pretty decent rebuild so far Mr. Poles.

Just the trade last year with Carolina qualifies Poles for GM of the decade. If Caleb lives up to expectations it will prove to be one of the most one sided trades in the history of the NFL.

It was a good trade, but let’s not forget how easily it could have been us having to draft JJ McCarthy or Nix, and watching Stroud play with more anxiety. A lot of luck involved. Not to take anything away. I think technically by the book, the right move was to draft Stroud. But sometimes the Football Gods are determined to bestow some teams with gifts. For once it is us.

I strongly disagree. For one thing, there's no reason to think Poles would have taken Stroud over Young. Imagine the shape we'd be in if that happened? Young was the consensus #1 pick. The Texans got lucky.

Secondly, Poles knew he would have two high #1's this year, and it was a strong QB draft. He had every reason to think he could move up if he had to with those two picks in his back pocket.

Lastly, it made a lot of sense to give Fields one more year. He had about a 4 game stretch that year where he looked like an MVP candidate. Give him a few more weapons and some better protection and the QB question might have been solved.

So he did absolutely the right thing if you ask me. It turned out better than anyone could have hoped, but even if the CAR pick was say, #4 overall, we could have used #9 to move up and take Maye or Daniels.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1271 » by Dresden » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:44 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:Too expensive to trade up in the 2nd round for me. I like those 2 2nds sitting on deck for next year.

Those picks next year are setting up a really bright future, but are any good OT and DE free agents available once the draft ends? After a great 1st round, still feels like we're not gonna be able to address our needs at the O and D lines for another year...

It feels that way to me too. The O line is kind of a patchwork, like it was last year, and the year before, at least in the interior. And the d line is missing a starting Edge, as well as a good back up there. And we're counting on Dexter and Pickens to both take big steps forward.

So yeah, I think both lines are suspect. Hopefully the additions Poles made to the IOL will pan out better than guys like Patrick did. And there's still some time to address the d line, either in the draft or a late FA like we got Ngakoue last year.

But next year's draft will be a great chance to put the last pieces in place.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1272 » by Dresden » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 pm

Ice Man wrote:As a Husky fan, I am delighted to see both Penix and Odunze drafted high, but slightly puzzled to see Penix being the first of the two. For me, Odunze was always the best player of the two. Much as I like MPJ, and he does have a lot of good going for him, the truth is that Odunze bailed him out a lot. When in trouble, throw to Odunze if he's single teamed. It doesn't matter how the defender is positioned, or even quite where the ball is, Odunze will get it. Too big, too fast, too strong. He is a NASTY cover.

That's music to our ears. I can't wait to see him on the field.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,732

Post#1273 » by madvillian » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 pm

Dresden wrote:
Ice Man wrote:As a Husky fan, I am delighted to see both Penix and Odunze drafted high, but slightly puzzled to see Penix being the first of the two. For me, Odunze was always the best player of the two. Much as I like MPJ, and he does have a lot of good going for him, the truth is that Odunze bailed him out a lot. When in trouble, throw to Odunze if he's single teamed. It doesn't matter how the defender is positioned, or even quite where the ball is, Odunze will get it. Too big, too fast, too strong. He is a NASTY cover.

That's music to our ears. I can't wait to see him on the field.

Rome was something like 65% on contested deep balls. That's insane. I've perhaps been too harsh on Penix calling him a 'chuck and duck" player but there is a concern there that in the NFL he's not going to have those guys bailing him out. He certainly has the arm, but does he have the mobility to avoid the rush and the awareness?

UM held him to 5.5 YPA in the championship game facing an NFL level defense, or at least the closest you can get in college.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,131

Post#1274 » by patryk7754 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:20 pm

Assuming we don't make any moves up or down, I think my ideal final two picks would be Cedrick Johnson in the 3rd and Zak Zinter in the 4th

Johnson came in for a 30 visit, I believe. He's pretty quick off the ball, has good play recognition, and even drop into coverage. He play standing up or with his hand in the dirt. Kinda reminds me of Shaq Barrett
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,135

Post#1275 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:27 pm

Read on Twitter

This dude again ...
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 615

Post#1276 » by Almost Retired » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Assuming we don't make any moves up or down, I think my ideal final two picks would be Cedrick Johnson in the 3rd and Zak Zinter in the 4th

Johnson came in for a 30 visit, I believe. He's pretty quick off the ball, has good play recognition, and even drop into coverage. He play standing up or with his hand in the dirt. Kinda reminds me of Shaq Barrett

That would not be a bad outcome at all. We need an EDGE as our first need to fill and quality O-Line depth. There will be injuries. We have to have depth to protect Caleb and to keep our running game viable. Despite all our receiving weapons we still have to have a running game to keep defenses honest. Zinter has a mean streak and if healthy would eventually be a starter. Cedrick Johnso has some nice athletic measurables. A 4.63 in the 40, which at 260-270 pounds is pretty damn good. A 36.5 inch vertical. Pretty strong, clocked 25 bench press reps and has benched 390 pounds. 10 foot broad jump. So he has explosiveness. He needs to be coached up but the building blocks are certainly there.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,131

Post#1277 » by patryk7754 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:37 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Assuming we don't make any moves up or down, I think my ideal final two picks would be Cedrick Johnson in the 3rd and Zak Zinter in the 4th

That would not be a bad outcome at all. We need an EDGE as our first need to fill and quality O-Line depth. There will be injuries. We have to have depth to protect Caleb and to keep our running game viable. Despite all our receiving weapons we still have to have a running game to keep defenses honest. Zinter has a mean streak and if healthy would eventually be a starter. Cedrick Johnso has some nice athletic measurables. A 4.63 in the 40, which at 260-270 pounds is pretty damn good. A 36.5 inch vertical. Pretty strong, clocked 25 bench press reps and has benched 390 pounds. 10 foot broad jump. So he has explosiveness. He needs to be coached up but the building blocks are certainly there.

My thought is that Zinter would sit for the year and fully recover from the leg injury he had this past season and then either replace Jenkins if we let him walk to we keep Jenkins and cut Daivs.

Johnson is also projected to be a 4th/5th round option so we could just trade out of the 3rd, add a second 4th and then a couple later picks and fill out the DL/OL more.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,522

Post#1278 » by panthermark » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

This dude again ...

Meh, that question will always linger. Fields got a raw deal.

But in the end, it is a business. CW is here, Fields is not. I've moved on.

The team is loaded, so let's go Bears!
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,129

Post#1279 » by NZB2323 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:45 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Axl Rose wrote:Fu*king Caleb and Rome. When are the Bulls going to have that kind of luck?

1984?

1987 wasn’t bad either.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 417

Post#1280 » by Bulls69 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Chi town wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?

This is everything you want to know right here.

Love that Rome is big enough to block too.

They need to keep Cunningham around. He’s strikes me as a guy that is behind the scenes, making a lot of the decisions but not getting credit for it.

Absolutely agree but some team is going to hire him as a GM next season

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.

Return to Chicago Bulls