Image ImageImage Image

Your offseason plans for the Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,211

Re: Your offseason plans for the Bulls 

Post#321 » by League Circles » Fri May 17, 2024 3:27 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Austin Reaves averaged 19.5 pts 5.2 assists and 4.7 rebounds in 11 games without Lebron James this season. Small sample size but the kid can play and he plays defense. Lakers should have went to him more at the end of games instead of Lebron, guy can get buckets.

I'd take him for Zach at this point without hesitation. Lakers would be dumb to trade him imo.

Is he genuinely better on defense than any of Patrick Williams, Ayo or Caruso?
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,077

Post#322 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri May 17, 2024 3:35 pm

League Circles wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Austin Reaves averaged 19.5 pts 5.2 assists and 4.7 rebounds in 11 games without Lebron James this season. Small sample size but the kid can play and he plays defense. Lakers should have went to him more at the end of games instead of Lebron, guy can get buckets.

I'd take him for Zach at this point without hesitation. Lakers would be dumb to trade him imo.

I mean no but I'm just comparing his defensive efforts to the guy we would swap him for :lol:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#323 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri May 17, 2024 3:38 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
League Circles wrote:

I mean no but I'm just comparing his defensive efforts to the guy we would swap him for :lol:

I should take that back. Zach made progress and at some point I defended him as a defender. Reaves has kind of went the other direction. Looks like teams started picking on him.

Still better imo than Zach though on that side.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#324 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri May 17, 2024 3:47 pm

Do we still think we are getting a star calibre player in return for Zach though?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#325 » by League Circles » Fri May 17, 2024 3:57 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Do we still think we are getting a star calibre player in return for Zach though?

We've never thought that, which is why there's a good chance that trading him will be a mistake. Cause he's still a very plausible star caliber player for years to come.

Unless we're trying to build a team to compete 6 years from now, which is so deeply insane that I can't even discuss it, Zach is actually our best "prospect" for success and improvement. Yes, there are salary, injury/durability, and chemistry issues, but so what. I'd much rather give the Coby/Zach/Demar trio a try with real defenders at the 4/5 spots (and backed up by versatile guys like Ayo and Patrick) than start making catastrophic reverse-consolidation trades.

I just see no reason for changes that aren't upside-based, which just not include acquiring more 6th men type talents on grown-up contracts. I'm only interested in trading Zach for similar talent, whether that's old talent that is maybe better fitting positionally and contract years remaining -wise, or a young decent prospect (pick or recent draftee) is something I'm open to, but we just absolutely positively don't need any more role players.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#326 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri May 17, 2024 4:10 pm

League Circles wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Do we still think we are getting a star calibre player in return for Zach though?

We've never thought that, which is why there's a good chance that trading him will be a mistake. Cause he's still a very plausible star caliber player for years to come.

Unless we're trying to build a team to compete 6 years from now, which is so deeply insane that I can't even discuss it, Zach is actually our best "prospect" for success and improvement. Yes, there are salary, injury/durability, and chemistry issues, but so what. I'd much rather give the Coby/Zach/Demar trio a try with real defenders at the 4/5 spots (and backed up by versatile guys like Ayo and Patrick) than start making catastrophic reverse-consolidation trades.

I just see no reason for changes that aren't upside-based, which just not include acquiring more 6th men type talents on grown-up contracts. I'm only interested in trading Zach for similar talent, whether that's old talent that is maybe better fitting positionally and contract years remaining -wise, or a young decent prospect (pick or recent draftee) is something I'm open to, but we just absolutely positively don't need any more role players.

I hear you and I agree for the most part although I feel more like this team needs change. If we re-sign Demar we should trade Zach. If we keep Zach we shouldn't re-sign Demar. Thats how I feel.

Have we gone to the point of no return with Zach though? If so then get more bucket getters/ 3 point shooters that can mesh with what we have and some paint defenders with the extra salary. I don't want a salary dump, I'm not asking for a perfect player in return either. Reaves is a role player yes but he is a guy that can get you buckets when you need them. We need more of that if we lose Zach. We need more of that I guess either way.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#327 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri May 17, 2024 4:15 pm

I'm not opposed to keeping Zach and signing and trading Demar to the Lakers. Not sure what happened to Jaxson Hayes over there but I'd take him and Reaves off their hands.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,105

Post#328 » by MGB8 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:18 pm

He is awful on defense. And, again, in the playoffs, despite playing with Lebron and Anthony Davis, while he still had decent bulk boxscore states…. 27% from 3, 0 +/- (and -4 in the regular season) despite no other wings subbing for him (Dinwiddie and Vincent would come in and play out of position) while his efficiency was made ok because he was drawing FT just like Lebron (you think that is real?). Heck, in game 6, Denver got a total of 9 FTA, compared to LA’s 27 FTA, with Reaves being the team high at 8. Not Lebron, not AD… they were (supposedly) fouling Reaves… and the Lakers just weren’t fouling at all in an elimination game…

Do you think that Reaves really is going to draw fouls like that elsewhere?

I mean, the issue isn’t getting him for Zach since the Bulls are seemingly desperate to move his salary. So you get what you can. But Reaves is fools’ gold.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,243

Post#329 » by Red8911 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:28 pm

League Circles wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
ChiTownHero1992 wrote:All the talk of Reaves...i want no part of him unless we are planning to flip him right away for something. I 1000% think he is overrated and as soon as he plays away from LBJ/Davis he looks like an undrafted FA again. This whole scenario screams THT again to me, i've watched Reaves alot and nothing stands out to me.

Your also talking about sending our "best player" (highly suspect and arguable but on paper best player) for an above-average undrafted guy....yikes how the "mighty" have fallen there!

First Zach isn’t the same anymore and is always injured.Hes a long way from being the “best player”.

Then I’m guessing a potential Lakers return will have at least a couple of players coming to Chicago including Reaves. Maybe 2 or 3 from Reaves, Rui, Russell, Vanderbilt, Vincent,Hayes. It’s not a great return but it’s not bad either.

Reaves is not a star but a role player. He does his part on offense and I don’t see why he can’t do that without Lebron or AD. Bulls can use his scoring/ shooting and is even a good passer.

It's a very bad return. We have very little need for any of those guys. For example, whose minutes would Reaves take? It's hard to make a convincing argument that he'd definitely even be a rotation player for us IMO.

We just have absolutely no need to stock up on mediocre guys. We already have a bunch of them. The entire reason that LA wasn't any good is because nobody outside of Lebron and AD is anything to speak of. You can make a case that we have 7 guys better than Reaves or anyone on LA besides Lebron and AD. And I'm not counting Vuc or Ball. Is Reaves really, clearly better than any of Drummond, Williams, Demar, Caruso, Zach, Ayo, or Coby? Not like he's very young and likely to improve.
Im not going to compare who’s better or not right now but if Zach leaves and Reaves comes in he will play SG most likely as a starter or could even come off the bench.

Again Bulls could use him mostly for his shooting/scoring where they have been clearly struggling. He would have a place here without a doubt.

Then getting a couple more mediocre or role players is totally fine. The bench wasn’t really a success and could be a lot better, guys like Carter and Craig didn’t help as expected and Drummond might not return. Changes are needed and adding depth with proven players is not a bad idea.
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#330 » by burlydee » Fri May 17, 2024 7:21 pm

Red8911 wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Red8911 wrote:First Zach isn’t the same anymore and is always injured.Hes a long way from being the “best player”.

Then I’m guessing a potential Lakers return will have at least a couple of players coming to Chicago including Reaves. Maybe 2 or 3 from Reaves, Rui, Russell, Vanderbilt, Vincent,Hayes. It’s not a great return but it’s not bad either.

Reaves is not a star but a role player. He does his part on offense and I don’t see why he can’t do that without Lebron or AD. Bulls can use his scoring/ shooting and is even a good passer.

It's a very bad return. We have very little need for any of those guys. For example, whose minutes would Reaves take? It's hard to make a convincing argument that he'd definitely even be a rotation player for us IMO.

We just have absolutely no need to stock up on mediocre guys. We already have a bunch of them. The entire reason that LA wasn't any good is because nobody outside of Lebron and AD is anything to speak of. You can make a case that we have 7 guys better than Reaves or anyone on LA besides Lebron and AD. And I'm not counting Vuc or Ball. Is Reaves really, clearly better than any of Drummond, Williams, Demar, Caruso, Zach, Ayo, or Coby? Not like he's very young and likely to improve.
Im not going to compare who’s better or not right now but if Zach leaves and Reaves comes in he will play SG most likely as a starter or could even come off the bench.

Again Bulls could use him mostly for his shooting/scoring where they have been clearly struggling. He would have a place here without a doubt.

Then getting a couple more mediocre or role players is totally fine. The bench wasn’t really a success and could be a lot better, guys like Carter and Craig didn’t help as expected and Drummond might not return. Changes are needed and adding depth with proven players is not a bad idea.

This debate is funny to me because the Bulls would be lucky to get Reaves, or his equivalent, in a Lavine trade. Like if the Bulls could get Reaves, Zach would be already gone based on all reporting we have. Some ppl think Zach has a bottom 5 contract. He's never consistently won. He's always hurt. There are ppl on here who seriously overrate his value and are going to be severely disappointed in the return.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#331 » by League Circles » Fri May 17, 2024 8:56 pm

burlydee wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
League Circles wrote:

This debate is funny to me because the Bulls would be lucky to get Reaves, or his equivalent, in a Lavine trade. Like if the Bulls could get Reaves, Zach would be already gone based on all reporting we have. Some ppl think Zach has a bottom 5 contract. He's never consistently won. He's always hurt. There are ppl on here who seriously overrate his value and are going to be severely disappointed in the return.

Pretty funny that Reaves couldn't win any more with two HOF guys leading the way than Zach has as the best or second best guy.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,606

Post#332 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:I'm not opposed to keeping Zach and signing and trading Demar to the Lakers. Not sure what happened to Jaxson Hayes over there but I'd take him and Reaves off their hands.

Reaves was awful on defense, got exposed heavily this year, including the play-in/playoffs. Beyond that you're talking about keeping Zach and getting Reaves likely as both starters??? Yea they may score 45ppg together but they'll give up 75ppg by themselves!
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#333 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri May 17, 2024 9:32 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:I'm not opposed to keeping Zach and signing and trading Demar to the Lakers. Not sure what happened to Jaxson Hayes over there but I'd take him and Reaves off their hands.

Reaves was awful on defense, got exposed heavily this year, including the play-in/playoffs. Beyond that you're talking about keeping Zach and getting Reaves likely as both starters??? Yea they may score 45ppg together but they'll give up 75ppg by themselves!

I know its not ideal but I'm just trying to get something out of nothing.
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#334 » by burlydee » Sat May 18, 2024 1:14 am

League Circles wrote:
burlydee wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Im not going to compare who’s better or not right now but if Zach leaves and Reaves comes in he will play SG most likely as a starter or could even come off the bench.

Pretty funny that Reaves couldn't win any more with two HOF guys leading the way than Zach has as the best or second best guy.

That is funny. Zach makes more than 3x more money than Reaves. What are we doing here? The reason teams don't want Zach is because he makes too much money. I'd take Reaves at $14 mil over Zach at $43 million. So would the Lakers and Bulls.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,662
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#335 » by waffle » Sat May 18, 2024 4:12 am

add me to the chorus that thinks Z to the Lakers SOME WAY makes tons of sense. It all comes down to whether Lebron comes back and who does he want to play alongside? Squint your eyes just a little, though, and Z in those obnoxious uni's seems v. possible
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,243

Post#336 » by Red8911 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:10 pm

burlydee wrote:
League Circles wrote:
burlydee wrote:

That is funny. Zach makes more than 3x more money than Reaves. What are we doing here? The reason teams don't want Zach is because he makes too much money. I'd take Reaves at $14 mil over Zach at $43 million. So would the Lakers and Bulls.

Exactly idk why we are arguing Zach vs Reaves. The whole point is Zach needs to get traded asap for the best deal possible and getting Reaves might be it.

As far as we know though the lakers before the deadline didn’t even want to trade for Zach nor did they want to give up Reaves, so all this is just talk. Maybe they change their minds now,I think they will target the bigger fish first.Zach could even end up somewhere else as well, we ll see.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#337 » by League Circles » Sat May 18, 2024 5:20 pm

Red8911 wrote:Exactly idk why we are arguing Zach vs Reaves. The whole point is Zach needs to get traded asap for the best deal possible and getting Reaves might be it.

He doesn't though.
leo921
Senior
And1: 216

Post#338 » by leo921 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:15 am

Some realistic trades Bulls should look at

Lavine for Simmons - view it more as the contract then player. Simmons would be expiring and would be expiring same time as Ball thus giving us some cap room to reset. He could also be used as a trade chip in a larger trade for a star at the deadline.

DDR for Ingrahm - would be sign and trade, would love a younger player and think he would fit in well with ayo/white/williams. he is expiring so even if it doesnt work out can either trade or have cap relief to reset.

Lavine for Paul george - If paul really wanted to sign with the Clippers he would have. I can see a really solid team built around Ayo/White/George/Williams/Vuc with Caruso/Drummond/Craig/11th pick off the bench.

Caruso/11th pick for Eason/3rd pick - Caruso helps Houston with PG depth and they still have a pick while we move up and get a good prospect.

thoughts?
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,867

Post#339 » by Jcool0 » Sun May 19, 2024 1:23 am

Red8911 wrote:
burlydee wrote:
League Circles wrote:Pretty funny that Reaves couldn't win any more with two HOF guys leading the way than Zach has as the best or second best guy.

Exactly idk why we are arguing Zach vs Reaves. The whole point is Zach needs to get traded asap for the best deal possible and getting Reaves might be it.

As far as we know though the lakers before the deadline didn’t even want to trade for Zach nor did they want to give up Reaves, so all this is just talk. Maybe they change their minds now,I think they will target the bigger fish first.Zach could even end up somewhere else as well, we ll see.

Lakers don't have the assets to trade for someone better than Zach or DeMar.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,851

Post#340 » by PlayerUp » Sun May 19, 2024 3:51 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Red8911 wrote:
burlydee wrote:

Lakers don't have the assets to trade for someone better than Zach or DeMar.

This playoffs has shown teams aren't that far apart from each other and they're close to getting over the top. I think the demand for players like DeMar and Lavine will increase in the weeks to come when teams realize they have no shot for Mitchell.

If AKME do it right, they could completely fix this roster this offseason moving pieces for assets paving way to tank in 2025 and be ready to in a 2-3 years to make the playoffs.

Return to Chicago Bulls